• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
B
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Yeah, I suppose that's pretty much it xD

Thanks for your advice, Breezy. I appreciate the help. If you're willing, could you be my BETA for future chapters? (I have a feeling you might have your fair shares of stories to BETA already, so it's okay if you don't want to.)
    Thankee for everything. I guess it just expands on backstory- as Rowan's (abused, in her mind at least) assistant, she runs around studying ruins whilst at the same time being part of Seamus, Elliott and Esmeralda's respective journeys as a supporter. She even goes to Spear Pillar! It was once a one-shot, but I expanded when I realized how much I loved Rebecca's character and I couldn't waste her.

Like the trio's names? I based them off of books and embarrassment factor.
    I'm sorry that school is making you exhausted =(

Well...I just got a job delivering pizzas as well as checking to see how you're doing
    Ooh, physics. I like physics. =) I suppose I should though seeing I intend to major in it. ;p Shakespeare though I've had more than my fair sure of at high school... I don't dislike him, I just dislike studying him to death and whatnot. And watching bad reenactments. =(

And if you say so. =p
    Yes, the three main characters are based upon the characters of Heartgold and Soulsilver. Sera has Lyra's bouncy ponytails, but that's about all the resemblance there is, given that she lives in Cherrygrove and not Newbark, does not have a ridiculously poofy hat (her sunhat is the only that really approaches that and she didn't take it with her) and her outfit also differs. She does have Lyra's bag though.

Keegan's Ethan then, though he doesn't have the hat, nor the outfit either (even the bag's different - whee for originality) and he has an added relative in my story (and no, it's not the father :3).

And that leaves Roy as a parallel to Silver, who I really can't tell you much about, given I'd spoil you. He's meant to be based on Silver, but there are differences.

Well, thanks for your advice and opinion anyway ^^
    Query, if only because you are the most knowledgeable person I know. In fiction, in your personal experience as a writing writer, what is the best pace to set? Do people need action at some point? I have a story idea, Bystander, and because the central character is rather passive in terms of actual real plot happening, hence the name, does that idea automatically need much more work than one where I can get off on battles all the while? It's like Lull, only Lull actually has something unique. Bystander is just D/P from a completely different perspective. I also have no clue what genre it is? Sarcastic professor's assistant who hates her job runs around doing stuff randomly whilst cursing her boss at every waking moment, and also hates dreams? Whaddya call that? Life?

I'm sure this would have been better suited to a PM, but whateveer. That's too much clicking. Lazy me. BTW, what is the tiger trying to do to the blonde kid? I have twelve theories.
    ----------
    You could possibly have dialogue between pokemon and pokemon since we see it all the time in the anime, and maybe the games. They seem to understand what the other is saying despite being of different species.

The downside to this, though, is that it just looks kind of ... odd to have pokemon dialect translated to English (which only the pokemon understanding, of course) and then having them revert to growls and yips with the humans. If handled well, you could probably transition smoothly between the two. Depends on how comfortable you are with the idea, and possibly how skilled you are as a writer.
    ----------
    Damn, that makes all of this conversating stuff seem so risky. Though, because of the conversation in chapter three, it seems a little difficult to revert back to nods and growls and hissing. So this would be the explanation then: Pokémon talk (with him or with each other) with Keegan half-guessing/half-understanding Pokémon talk because he has learned to recognize certain pitches or certain gestures to deduce their general meaning from them (two pokémon conversating with each other makes it harder though, since he needs to adjust rapidly between languages)

Would do this do? I found both ways you pulled it off interesting and quite helpful. I'll try to keep your advice, along with all the other important stuff, in the back of my head (though visibly, I failed at avoiding repetition of adjectives, so I will really need to do my best to remember that > <)

----------
    Random extra question: do you like 'Roy'?
    ----------
    This is a question I asked, but you seem to have missed ^^; I don't demand your answer, since you seem tired and are possibly not in the mood to think about this stuff. I'd like your opinion though (if possible... Gah, repetition > <)
    Ah, school. I have a similar feeling whenver I have to go back to it. =p Although at least this semestr I have more interesting subjects (I've been there for nearly a month this semester already =p).

I am fine in general...although lacking in the party department (unless you mean my in-game Pokemon party but they don't do much atm. Yes, that was lame. Uni does that to you.)
    I feel your pain ^^; School is just a week away from me, but I wish you luck anyway; surviving school can be difficult nowadays > > (Did I use that ";"-thing correctly?)

All right, so if a direct translation is about near the impossible, should I still have Keegan and his Pokémon (and Sera's future Pokémon, considering she can't really estimate what they mean (well, until they get closer, maybe)) conversate, and in that case, still make it clear that he's not cmpletely sure 'what' exactly they are saying, or not? Also, if I go the latter way, is it then only possible to establish the Pokémon's character with dialogue when Keegan thinks something about them (as with your example of Lull) and when the Pokémon are conversing among themselves? (don't think of action in this example, just dialogue)

Random extra question: do you like 'Roy'?
    Hiya, this is your friendly, Serebiiforums-exclusive stalker ^^

I've two questions for you. First, how are you doing? I hope things are going along well on your end (How's "Lull"?)

And now that I've my boring conversaton starter out of the way, my second one is a bit more interesting. The point was raised by another of my reviewers, so I've started to doubt whether my explanation suffices. Basically, an aspiring trainer usually has two years of school after leaving primary school (or whatever you want to call it). In that time period, they basically learn important, essential stuff about journeying. Here comes the "I canz understand Poké-speach"-explanation; they have extra communication courses that are optional (learning different pitches when speaking, syllables of their names in various orders, accompanying gestures,...). This is the question: do those two years suffice for a general understanding of the language of Pokémon? (Extra detail: generally the Pokémon whose speech you learn to understand are only native to that specific region, so in my case, around hundred Pokémon... Is this still realistic or should I make trainers slightly less adept at understanding them?)
    But of course! =o Breezy it up! ;p Anyways hello to you to - how's life and all that jazz?

Well I suppose one's gotta do something when bored. =p How was the party though? And pfft, sleep is for the weak. ;p
    Hey Breezy, I can't believe I forgot to tell you that I put my fic up. Especially because you helped me out so much with it. God I feel like an a**hole >_<;
    Probably for the best. Get that fic out of the way so we can get our sequel. :]

Well whatever you've been doing, it worked for HLBMA, so I wouldn't stress. You're Breezy, you'll figure something out. :]
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…