• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
matt0044
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• This was...unexpected. xD And random. But it's not a problem, I'll gladly discuss it some more. Definitely feel free to talk to me about whatever you'd like.

As for the chapter titles...you're right, they do have a purpose. I suppose I went about saying that the wrong way, because I didn't literally mean they had no purpose. (because they do.) What I meant was that they didn't have to do that. They could have easily left the original Japanese titles in tact and it wouldn't have hurt their sales or anything. And because of that, I just found changing them to pun-filled titles pointless, because I didn't think it was necessary. You are right that they don't really hurt anything though. Kids probably do like the pun titles better (since I will admit, the original Japanese titles are boring and get repetitive after a while), and they do make the chapter titles more memorable. And I will admit that I do find some of the puns funny, and that they are better than Chuang Yi's puns at the very least. XD (even if I do like Chuang Yi) And you're right, Viz can get away with this since it is a kids manga and I agree that I can't really fault them for it either. I wish they hadn't had done it, but I can see why they did and it isn't that big of a deal. And I definitely agree that its better than 4Kid's dub of One Piece (and some of their other anime dubs) at the very least. XD

As for not letting the little things bother you...that's true. And great advice. It is kind of hard to ignore things you don't like though, regardless of size. But that's definitely true that you shouldn't make them out to be bigger than they are. I'll try to do better with that, because I do seem to have a hard time of pointing out things I don't like without making them seem bigger than they are, even when I don't mean to make them seem like that. And I am thankful for that. XD
    Hum? The Black and White one with all the criticism? If memory serves, you never deleted that in the first place.

Also please don't post in a thread asking "who undeleted this?" if you're just going to delete it, both because it's pointless and we wouldn't have noticed had you not just pointed it out. :p

~Psychic
    Well you can't just talk the talk - you have to walk the walk. Simply put, actions speak louder than words. Writing an apology letter is, once again, one of the last things you want to do, because you're just calling attention to yourself without actually proving that anything's changed. The only way you can show that you've improved it by showing it instead of talking about it.

Post in a way that contributes to a topic and to the community and doesn't come off as self-centered. Contribute with your opinion and your advice without constantly mentioning your fic or getting offensive when people disagree with you. Show that you are happy and interested in having conversations with others and that you won't react badly. People like people who are easy to talk with and who don't just think about mememememe.

Yes, the threads you mentioned were actually pretty good, especially because they really got a conversation started. Your other threads tend to start with "In my fic, entitled ABC," which tend to just sound like advertisements for that fic, or like you're just asking people to tell you your fic or idea for your fic is awesome, even if that's not what you intended. If you can keep making threads like this, that's great, just try not to make them too often, especially if you won't actually be posting the finished product here.

Does that sound doable? If you have any questions, just ask, I'll do my best to explain.

~Psychic
    I passed on your message to Gladys, by the way. She had very little to say on the matter except that she still doesn't wish to speak with you. She does think it a shame that you won't be posting your fics here, but that's mostly because, as I mentioned, your threads tend to come off as advertisements for a fic that will never actually be posted here.

Trying to talk with her won't be worth it. Maybe if you give it awhile and demonstrate, not just to her but to the entire forum, that you can change your tune, she can come to respect you and be willing to listen to what you have to say. But as it stands, it's not going to happen, and I can't change that. Sorry.

~Psychic
    If by "infamous" you mean "how bewildering and annoying to the serious writers and reviewers of the site" you are, the answer is "enough to not be very well-respected." You're still obscure enough that the regular forum-goer doesn't know or particularly care about you, if that's what you mean instead.

~Psychic
    So sorry matt, but I havent been online in weeks, never got this message..

Again sorry, but if you could link me to it, I'll be glad to R&R it for you.
    Look, I just want you to chill out and realize that I have a life, and that I don't like being snapped at. I've been working on a response to you, and I can't guarantee Galdys will listen to your words just because they're coming from me.

Also, deleting VMs I had sent to you doesn't make you look like you can take criticism. If you don't like what I have to say, don't make me go out of my way to say it. Likewise, if you don't like what members of this forum have to say, don't make threads asking for their opinions and then delete them. Please consider the reputation you're giving yourself.

~Psychic
    As a note regarding this:

----------
    So I'm posting my fics on FFnet.
    ----------
    If you do come back to continue your fic, I'll just make it clear here that new chapters/revisions to the old ones would have to be in that fic thread you just deleted (I or other fanfic mods/smods can undelete it in case you cannot), and if you want to make more advice threads then I'd also be inclined to undelete that thread because how can people give advice if all your stuff is removed from here? Just a 'if you stay here' sort of message is all. All fanfic mods have reached and are hence aware of this agreement btw.
    I just like poking fun at things when I know it's directed at a person who will get all worked up over it :)
    I'll see what I can do. I'm a bit behind on my review request list due to real-life stuff, so it might take more than a bit. If you're okay with that, I'll give it a shot.
    Listen, Matt (or whatever your name is): I haven't responded to you because I am sick of you trying to PM me ideas on each and every one of your characters. I already told you my opinions on the characters and plot in the review I gave and the PMs I did send back to you. They're fine. I may not know much about them, but they're fine as far as I can tell.

I did tell you that your grammar is a huge problem. I did tell you that you probably needed a beta for grammar, not one for plot. I also told you that I don't beta for grammar at all. Why? Because it isn't my strong suit. I don't have the time or patience to read over multiple grammatical errors. That's why my post on the Beta Reader thread said that I'd beta plot and characters, not grammar. That's why I said that I couldn't help you.

The problem is that you just won't listen. You do understand what a subtle hint is, right? I've given you them. You also understand when a person is politely telling you that they can't help you? I've done that too.

So, for the absolute last time, please stop PMing and VMing me.
    Regarding your previous PM, as JX explained, there's a difference between if I watch an anime I've never seen before where anthros and humans live together versus if I watch Pokemon, which has an established universe where there are no anthros, and anthros suddenly exist. It's something that would bother me as a reader and would likely confuse a lot of people. Letting people speculate and making people confused isn't the same thing. Like I said, we as writers can't tell our readers "don't think of a purple elephant" - we can only make sure we don't leave holes in our stories that readers would pick at.

As for your current fic, it is currently only one chapter, and from what I can tell does not yet have the group travelling together, so we can't judge that aspect of it. It's for the same reason I don't know how well you write Pokemon battles if you haven't done so yet: every writer has different strengths and weaknesses, so you may very well be good at one thing but terrible at another. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to judge as of yet. :p

~Psychic
    ----------
    Well, the way I saw it, people should care more about the story, action and characters rather than the things you mentioned. You know, suspension of disbelief.
    ----------
    People should care about a lot of things, but people are people, and they don't go out of their way do decide "I will focus on this instead of this." People should also care about people dying in Africa, but they tend to care more about what's for dinner or what's new on Facebook. People care about what they care about, and you can't control that. Also, suspension of disbelief can only go so far - it's not a solution.

----------
    The reason I don't explain why they're specifically in the Pokemon world is because in my fan-remake, they were born in the Pokemon world. My Pokemon world, to be exact.
    ----------
    So are there other furries or talking animals in this world, or are your characters the only ones? Either way, it means that something fundamental about the Pokemon world has changed, ie that it's not only inhabited by humans and Pokemon. Which means it is not the exact same world. A cat going on a Pokemon journey in the regular Pokemon world would not be normal, but in your fic's world maybe it is.

Either way, a cat going on a journey won't be the same as a human going on a journey, and I think that that is something interesting for you to explore. I'd actually encourage you to do so if you want to stick to that idea. How do you throw a Pokeball or use a Potion if you don't have opposable thumbs and you need all four of your legs to walk, anyway? It's something to consider, at any rate.

~Psychic
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…