• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
S
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• #50 - Sonic The Hedgehog (Part 1)

SEGA!

It's no secret how big a fan I am of Sonic The Hedgehog. Back in the 90s, we were all convinced that this was the perfect rival for Mario in the console wars, and that both characters would live on in greatness forever. That was until Sony stuck its nose in their business and injected itself into the wars with the PlayStation and soon, the PlayStation 2. Nintendo would still be making high sales numbers with the N64. SEGA, however, was struggling. It had a successful run with the SEGA Dreamcast, but would ultimately be outshined by the PlayStation 2, and SEGA would soon became a third-party company. Sonic would start to have some low points in his career with games like Sonic The Hedgehog (2006) & Sonic Unleashed (In my opinion, it's unfair to say that he was finished, as he never had any low points in any handheld games at the time, yet those areas were being ignored.). However, the hedgehog refused to quit, as he would hit back with successful games, such as Sonic Colors, Sonic 4 Ep. 1 & 2, and Sonic Generations, which many would say is Sonic's greatest game in a long time.

Back to the beginning. Sonic The Hedgehog is where it all started for him, and is marked as the most memorable game ever. Mainly because it gave us an alternative from Mario. The game was fast paced, the character is definitely a badass, and the stages are memorable and fun. It definitely had more of a rock-feel to the game in contrast to Mario games. The plot was simple to understand, too. Dr. Eggman wants to take over the world by turning animals into robots, and Sonic is there to stop him. No matter how I look at this game, this is definitely one of my all-time favorites.
    #56 - Super Street Fighter IV

Many believed that fighting games were at a downfall back in 2008. However, Street Fighter IV managed to resurrect our love for fighting games in a brand new way. But it was Super Street Fighter IV that set the bar to very high levels. Bringing back every character from the Street Fighter II series and adding even more characters. The Super Combos, the Ultra Combos, the story behind it...for me, it was amazing. It made me fall in love with Street Fighter all over again. In fact, I practically bought almost every version of Street Fighter IV. That's how crazy this game was for me. I love it!
    #57 - Pokemon Red/Blue

Oh, boy... This one's a doozy for me... (Gives myself a moment.) Okay...here I go.

Whether you hate or love this game, you can't deny the impact it had in the late 90s, and it launched one of the most successful gaming franchises of all time. It was definitely addictive for kids, and many parents never understood it. But it was a huge amount of fun, so no one really cared. You catch Pokemon and pit them against each other. That's basically the game in a nutshell. I know there's more to it than that, but I'm not elaborating. The game would also introduce us to another Nintendo mascot, Pikachu, the electric mouse Pokemon (Like you really needed me to tell you that...).

It's also one of the first games to feature two different versions which was the only way to catch all the Pokemon. Surprisingly, other games would capitalize on making two different versions of the same game, including Zelda (Oracle Of Seasons & Oracle Of Ages). Pokemon would soon launch other content, such as an anime series and a trading card game, which are still moving forward.

No doubt, this is by far one of the most successful and best selling RPG games of all time.

Personally, I never got into the game until I saw my brothers playing it. From that point on, I was hooked, and the rest is history...although I never played beyond the first game. Still, it was a fun run... I still have my Blue Version cartridge.
    #60 - Contra

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, (Select) Start.
    Anyone who knows that code can easily tell you what game that's from. But that's not the only reason why this game's so good.

Contra started as an arcade game, but the NES version is definitely the one that many people remember. The game was non-stop action from beginning to end, just simply shooting everything in sight. The upgrade weapons, such as the rapid fire and, my favorite, the splash gun (or spread gun) made the game even greater. I also believe it was one of the first games to feature 2-Player co-op. So, I was able to enjoy this with my brothers for days and days.

This game is also known for being extremely difficult. One hit, you're dead. The only way you could beat it is with the Konami code (mentioned above). Anyone who has done it without it is a liar, because it's insanely difficult without it. With the code, instead of 3 lives, you get 30 lives and can easily get through the entire game. So much fun.
    #64 - NBA Jam

BOOM SHAKA-LAKA!

NBA Jam is one of my favorite basketball games of all time. Many would complain that it's not really basketball, but others like me would say, "Who cares? It's fun, and we love it." Crazy slam dunks from half court, glass breaking from rims, and of course...

HE'S ON FIRE!

The net would burn, and your turbo meter was infinite...until the other team scored a basket. I love that feature. The commentary was fun to listen to as well.

HE'S ON FIRE!

I'd play as the Magic and beat every other team. And--well, they'd show stats, but in this game, it didn't matter. It was all about two-on-two mayhem, NBA style. This game is awesome!

BOOM SHAKA-LAKA!
    #65 - Unreal Tournament

This is probably one of the first shooters I've ever played and really enjoyed on the PC. Unreal Tournament was probably one of the games that influenced my hyperactive personality even further, because it was violent, fast-paced, and insanely addictive. While it was meant for multiplayer carnage, I had just as fun doing single-player mode. Basically, you're placed in a tournament, select a group and what you want to look like, you run around, and kill people. You died a lot, but if you were skilled, then you also killed a lot. The game also featured game modes that are now considered standers in modern multiplayer shooters. Non-stop mayhem... So much fun... I still play this game every now and then, just because I love it so much. Not much else I can say about this great game.
    #69 - Double Dragon

Another classic for me. However, I'm used to the NES version. Yes, it is completely different than it's Arcade counterpart. In this case, only one player was on the screen, and only two enemies would appear at the same time (Most likely, this was due to Nintendo's technical limitations at the time.). Jimmy was the final boss. I never knew there were so many versions of the game, nor did I know of the true final ending (In two-player mode, if both players make it to the end, they fight each other for Marion's love.). I know, it's pathetic.

Despite the NES limitations, I was easily addicted as a child. Punching and kicking my way to the next set of enemies was fun. Then, as you progressed, you would level up and do more moves (Jump kicking, grabbing their heads and kneeing them in the face, then throwing them across the screen. Ah, the memories.). It was also a very hard game. It definitely required skill to get to Jimmy and beat him. The biggest satisfaction was when I finally did it. It was an awesome feeling.

This game is definitely a classic, regardless of what system you played it on.
    #72 - Mortal Kombat

I've got quite a story.

MORTAL KOMBAT!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

What a game this was. We can't deny how violent this game was, and I'm surprised it was one of the games that inspired the ESRB Rating System...then again, maybe I shouldn't be... Anyway, my story for this game started with the SNES version. It was barely violent in contrast to its Arcade counterpart. I believe it was because of Nintendo's strict "Family-Friendly" policy at the time. I was a kid at the time, so it was okay for me. Anyway, by Mortal Kombat II, Nintendo loosened up and made the game the way it was meant to be. Surprisingly, still a kid, I continued playing through the series all the way to Mortal Kombat Trilogy, and no one questioned me about it. That's got to be one of the most surprising moments in my life. My parents were always careful in what I got into, and this was one area that they never questioned me about. To this day, I still think about how lucky(?) I was to get away with something like this.

As for the game itself, it was fun. It was the first time I saw real people in a fighting game, and they did a good job capturing each movement and doing the moves so well. I would play it over and over again. And years later, I turned out all right.

MORTAL KOMBAT!

Again, couldn't resist.
    #74 - Star Fox 64

Star Fox 64 is one of my all-time favorite games for the N64. It was fun flying around in a spaceship, avoiding things coming at you, while blasting everything else. Sure, it started on the SNES with Star Fox, but I had a much more difficult time playing that game in contrast to the N64 sequel. At the time, the graphics were on amazing, too. But the thing that stood out the most for me was that the characters...talked. Sure, it probably wasn't the best voice acting (which is one of the reasons I don't have the 3DS version), but at the time, it blew my mind. I would play this game over and over again, just to try every possible route to the end. It was that addictive for me. This game will always stand out as a classic for me.

"Do a Barrel Roll!"
    #82 - Super Smash Bros. Melee

Super Smash Bros. for the N64 was considered a game we've all been waiting for for ages. It was its own type of fighting game, and it did really well. I LOVE IT.

Fast forward to the sequel. Super Smash Bros. Melee for the GCN took it to the next level, with more characters, better stages, enhanced graphics, and multiple gameplay modes. The soundtrack was amazing, too. While Brawl is considered my favorite of the bunch so far, I can see why Melee made the cut. It was a flawless sequel.
    #84 - Wii Sports

1. Bundled with the Wii, it changed the way we played video games. Rather than simply just pressing buttons, we would move a Wii Remote around and act like we're the ones bowling, golfing, etc. That was revolutionary in games. It wouldn't be long before Sony & Microsoft would come up with their own similar devices.

2. It's not only the Wii's best selling game, but it's the top selling video game of all time, overpowering Super Mario Bros., who had the top spot for over 20 years.
    Super Mario Bros. - 40.24 million
    Wii Sports - 79.16 million

3. (This one's based off of my own opinions.) The game was fun. Getting to see yourself as a Mii was funny, and within these games made it even more fun. This game actually got my mother to buy her own system, which surprised me, because she's not much of a gamer. It was new, and it was amazing.
    #86 - Out Run

That game was one of the first ones I've ever played. However, my exposure to the game was through the SEGA Master System. I was easily hooked as a young child. It wasn't until later that I learned of the arcade game. I'm also surprised that it was considered one of the first games to use all the driving mechanics (steering wheel, gas pedal, & stick shift). Lot of fun, that game was. Now that I think about it, this game paved the way for arcade driving games we see today. Impressive.
    #95 - Burgertime

I wasn't exposed to Burgertime until I played the Game Boy version, Burgertime Deluxe. I got hooked right away. The game was fun, and the cut scenes were cute and pretty funny. But I think it was the music that stood out most for me the most. I can still hear the music to that game in my head right now. What I loved most about that game is that it was unique and more expansive in its stages compared to the original arcade classic. The game definitely deserves a spot on the countdown. Now I'm hungry.
    #100 - Pong

Pong... It was here long before I was even born. Yet I was introduced to it when Nick Arcade, an old Nickelodeon game show, had several versions of the game made. Anyone remember that?

I don't think I've ever played Pong until I played Mortal Kombat Trilogy. One of the codes allowed me to play Pong as it was made years ago. Crazy, isn't it? I can understand how it can become addictive, even with today's gamers. One dot, two bars, and making sure that the dot doesn't move past the bars. Definitely an adrenaline rush of a game, if the volley is long enough.
    G4's Top 100 Video Games Of All Time (Part 2)

#50 - Sonic The Hedgehog
    #49 - Angry Birds
    #48 - Tecmo Bowl
    #47 - Myst
    #46 - Red Dead Redemption
    #45 - Metal Gear Solid
    #44 - Grand Theft Auto IV
    #43 - Quake III: Arena
    #42 - Ghosts N Goblins
    #41 - Super Mario 64
    #40 - Space Invaders
    #39 - Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater
    #38 - Super Metroid
    #37 - Halo: Combat Evolved
    #36 - Batman: Arkham City
    #35 - Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night
    #34 - Counter Strike
    #33 - Final Fantasy VII
    #32 - Mike Tyson’s Punch Out!
    #31 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    #30 - Super Street Fighter II Turbo
    #29 - Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
    #28 - Super Mario Kart
    #27 - Chrono Trigger
    #26 - Ico
    #25 - Grand Theft Auto III
    #24 - Madden NFL 2005
    #23 - Halo 3
    #22 - Panzer Dragoon Saga
    #21 - Resident Evil 4
    #20 - Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    #19 - Diablo II
    #18 - Ms. Pac-Man
    #17 - Starcraft
    #16 - Half-Life
    #15 - Donkey Kong
    #14 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    #13 - Portal
    #12 - Doom II: Hell On Earth
    #11 - The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
    #10 - World Of Warcraft
    #9 - Shadow Of The Colossus
    #8 - Goldeneye 007
    #7 - Super Mario Bros. 3
    #6 - The Legend Of Zelda
    #5 - Tetris
    #4 - Asteroids
    #3 - Bioshock
    #2 - The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
    #1 - Super Mario Bros.

I love this list!
    G4's Top 100 Video Games Of All Time (Part 1)

#100 - Pong
    #99 - Words With Friends
    #98 - Pitfall
    #97 - NBA 2K11
    #96 - Guitar Hero II
    #95 - Burgertime
    #94 - Braid
    #93 - Star Wars: Tie Fighter
    #92 - Galaga
    #91 - The Sims
    #90 - Baldur’s Gate II: Shadow’s Of Amn
    #89 - Left 4 Dead
    #88 - Double Dribble
    #87 - Mass Effect 2
    #86 - Out Run
    #85 - Silent Hill 2
    #84 - Wii Sports
    #83 - Ninja Gaiden
    #82 - Super Smash Bros. Melee
    #81 - Resident Evil
    #80 - Gears Of War 3
    #79 - Psychonauts
    #78 - Spy Hunter
    #77 - Excitebike
    #76 - Blades Of Steel
    #75 - Fallout 3
    #74 - Star Fox 64
    #73 - Mega Man II
    #72 - Mortal Kombat
    #71 - Wing Commander II: Vengeance Of The Kilrathi
    #70 - Star Wars
    #69 - Double Dragon
    #68 - Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time
    #67 - Minecraft
    #66 - Assassin’s Creed II
    #65 - Unreal Tournament
    #64 - NBA Jam
    #63 - Wolfenstein 3D
    #62 - Sid Meier’s Civilization II
    #61 - God Of War III
    #60 - Contra
    #59 - Maniac Mansion II: Day Of The Tentacle
    #58 - Ultima Online
    #57 - Pokemon Red/Blue
    #56 - Super Street Fighter IV
    #55 - Kingdom Hearts
    #54 - Gauntlet
    #53 - Deus Ex
    #52 - Rock Band 3
    #51 - Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando

Stupid limits...
    I was working, dreadfully sorry... (That's why I disconcertingly asked the time the other day.)
    Though I'm also surprised that nobody showed. o_O Although I guess it gives me another chance to show?
    I must have been wrong about my timings. Thread said that you edited your post at 7:20 PM or so over here, so I should assume I was an hour off, that the clocks only changed on our side and not yours, and that when it was 7PM over here, it was actually 3PM on your side, not 2PM. (7.55PM over here right now) At any rate, I apologize.
    Uh, no, no I haven't. In fact, I haven't even really looked at any threads in like, a month. Or something like that. Anyway... *Goes to check thread* Huh. It's okay, don't worry about it.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…