• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
S
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• #1 - Super Mario Bros. (Part 2)

I'm not done. I've got more reasons as to why Mario's #1.

Even though Donkey Kong was his first appearance, Super Mario Bros. was the beginning of a legacy.

Until Wii Sports, Super Mario Bros. held the record for the best-selling video game of all time with 40.24 million copies sold worldwide (Wii Sports: 79.16 million).

There have been multiple remakes, and the game has been re-released on nearly every system, from being bundled with Duck Hunt to a 3DS Virtual Console Download. Because of this, I'm sure everyone has played the game at least once in their lifetime. And if you haven't, then you should.

Mario has been in multiple sequels and in more games than any other character and has introduced us to other characters that we came to love for life. Several of them got to star in their own games which spawned into game series. Not to mention, Mario has also been in multiple media, such as comic books and cartoons.

At this point in time, there's not a single person alive that doesn't know who Mario is. Even if you're not a gamer, you see him or you hear a sound effect, and you instantly know who it is and where it came from. There aren't that many games that do that to people. He's that famous and he doesn't plan to retire anytime soon.

It's the most successful gaming franchise in history and a huge pop culture phenomenon.

This is why Super Mario Bros. is #1. And I really look forward to the future.

[IMG]

[IMG]

HERE WE GO!
    #1 - Super Mario Bros. (Part 1)

This deserves the top spot without question.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/59382/top-100-video-games-of-all-time-1-super-mario-bros/

No one has made such a strong impact in the video game industry the way Mario has. This game was made during a time when the video game industry was struggling. Not only did it single-handedly save it, but it turned quintillions of kids into gamers for life.

I believe it was Soulja Boy who stated, "You can't be a gamer and say you don't know Ms. Pac-Man." As much as I respect those words, I think the true statement should be, "You can't be a gamer and say you don't know Super Mario Bros." To me, that's just inhumane, especially at this point in time.

This game came bundled with the NES, and it was a game everyone was playing. You couldn't stop. I remember the amount of hours as a kid, playing this game. I just could not stop. During school, sleeping, all I could think about was playing this game. Was it the first game I ever played? I don't remember. But it was the best game I ever played at the time. Right now, it's on my 3DS, and it's a game I come back to every now and then.

This game came with the four P's: platforms, plumbers, power-ups, & a princess. A formula that we all loved and would see in the game's multiple sequels.
    #2 - The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past

What makes this game stand out so well? Hmm... Was it the graphics? Was it the weapons? Was it the story? Was it the fact that it introduced Heart Pieces and the Master Sword? Was it the two parallel worlds that you could travel between (Light World & Dark World)? Was it the fact that, despite it being on a new console, it stayed true to its core elements of Zelda gameplay?

In my opinion, the answer is yes to all of them. The game is incredible.
    #5 - Tetris

One of the first ever puzzle games and still one of the most addictive.

For those that don't know, Tetris is a Russian puzzle game with shapes called Tetriminos. There are seven of them that fall down onto the screen, and your job is to create lines with these pieces. Once you clear a line, the blocks in it disappear. As you progress through the game, the Tetriminos fall down faster and faster. If they get to the top of the screen with no room to place them, it's Game Over. Many of us have great memories of this game. I know I do, especially for the GB & DS. Awesome stuff.
    #6 - The Legend Of Zelda

From one legend to another.

The Legend Of Zelda was a groundbreaking game. It introduced complex puzzle solving, fast-paced action, and other things to the action-adventure game. And of course, we loved the arsenal of weapons and magic that Link used in order to get through each dungeon. The Legend Of Zelda also introduced a feature that we could never live without today: the ability to save your game. Other games would just give you a password to use, so this was definitely groundbreaking.

I remember when I was a kid. I would be playing games all day. Then, when I was trying to sleep, I would hear the music of Zelda playing. My parents would get their chance to use the NES and would play the game for...I don't know how long through the evening.

It wasn't until recently that I managed to get through the second game, and it was on my 3DS for about a year after I got it through the Ambassador Program. Still, I'm glad I did it, because the game is still fun to play.

This is a game that's definitely in the history books. I love it.
    #7 - Super Mario Bros. 3

Many consider this as one of the greatest NES games of all time, because it perfected what platform games were all about. It also added new features that we went crazy over. The Super Leaf (Raccoon Mario) which made Mario fly. The Tanooki Suit (Tanooki Mario), which did the same thing, except for turning into a statue. The Frog Suit (Frog Mario), which gave Mario the ability to perfect swimming underwater, even against currents. The Hammer Suit (Hammer Mario), which had Mario throwing hammers. The hammers were stronger than the fireballs, so enemies that couldn't be defeated could do so with the Hammer Suit. Also, ducking could protect you from fireballs. That was awesome!

And 2-player mode brought back the classic Mario Bros. game, and you could steal cards from each other and get extra lives or fight to see who gets to do the next stage. Annoying at times, but fun.

Each world was unique! Each world had a theme! That was amazing!

#8 - Goldeneye 007

Move tie-in games don't usually do very good. This game, however, is a huge exception to that.

The name's Bond...James Bond.

I'm sure we all remember playing Goldeneye on the N64 with a few friends or family members. It was one of the first games to introduce 4-player, first-person shooting. Sure, it may have been on smaller screens, but at the time, we had a lot of fun killing each other. While it wasn't the first game to do it, this game definied what a first-person shooting game should be. Some may even go so far as to saying that this is the best 007 thing that exists ever. I don't know about that, but this game is great. Well done, 007.
    #11 - The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time

Nintendo and many others consider this as one of the best video games of all time. Like Super Mario 64 was to Super Mario World, The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time was to The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past. It's another trailblazing game from Nintendo, as Link was in 3D for the very first time. You could do things with link that weren't possible in 2D. I believe it was also the first game to present the lock-on feature, which allowed you to focus on a particular enemy. This is now a standard thing in modern games today.

I really wish I could put into words how great this game is for me, but it's hard. The music... The atmosphere... The mini-games... Wow... It's too hard... But it's so good...

This game should definitely be on everyone's top 100 list. And if it's not, then I don't know what's wrong with you.
    #15 - Donkey Kong (Part 2)

We also know that Nintendo wouldn't be as big as it is now if it wasn't for Donkey Kong. We also can't forget its sequels (Or the games that followed it the closest.).

Donkey Kong Jr. - Mario's first (and so far only) role as an antagonist.
    Donkey Kong 3 - DK takes refuge in a greenhouse and Stanely (the protagonist in the game) has to keep him from stirring up any more insects that'll destroy his flowers. Not as good as the first two games.
    Donkey Kong (GB) - The first platform-puzzle game that tells the whole story of the original Donkey Kong. My favorite of the games.
    Mario Vs. Donkey Kong - A new platform-puzzle game that follows the formula of the GB version of Donkey Kong. This time, Mario had to stop Donkey Kong from stealing all the Mini-Marios from his factory.
    Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2: March Of The Minis - The sequels for the DS would all be touch-screen based games, as you guided the Mini-Marios through Super Mini-Mario World to save Pauline from Donkey Kong.
    Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSiWare) - The formula for success would be slightly different in each one, but the goal was the same.
    Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem - Guide the Minis to the goal, and then guide them to Donkey Kong, and take him down.

Donkey Kong will always be a favorite in my book.
    #15 - Donkey Kong (Part 1)

We all know by now that Mario's first appearance was in Donkey Kong.

In 1981, the game made its debut in arcades. As Mario had to rescue his then-girlfriend, Pauline (whose name many people still don't get right) from the barrel-throwing ape through four stages (three in the NES version).

Stage 1 - DK throws barrels at Mario. Some of those barrels would hit the oil barrel, and fireballs would appear.
    Stage 2 - Mario must go up the area with conveyor belts carrying...cement? They look like pies... Fireballs and oil barrels exist here, too.
    Stage 3 (2 in the NES) - The most annoying stage in the game. Conveyor belts, fireballs, and those insanely annoying springs (jacks?).
    Stage 4 (3 in the NES) - Fireballs appear, and you have to make the blocks disappear (just by walking over them? Weird...) while avoiding the fireballs.

This is not an easy game to master, either. If you die, you start from the beginning of the stage. This is an arcade game where you had to put some serious time into it.
    #16 - Half-Life

This is one of the most unique first-person shooting games I've ever played. And I admit, there were times when I got startled playing the game because of all those freaky aliens.

Interesting thing about this game, the animators didn't create any cutscenes. Instead, they moved the story along using scripted sequences. In other words, throughout the entire game, you're seeing the world through Gordon Freeman's eyes. I don't know if this was ever done before Half-Life. But the game was fun. If I recall, I also played through two other versions of the game: Half-Life: Opposing Force, & Half-Life: Blue Shift. All three games were amazing. I never played the sequel. I want to, just thinking about this game. If it wasn't for all the other games I still need to play through...

Might as well stop talking and start gaming.
    #18 - Ms. Pac-Man

This one's definitely a classic.

It's been around 30 years since this arcade game was released, and it's a game that I keep finding in the most unexpected places to this day. It goes to show me how powerful and popular this game is.

This game came out a year after Pac-Man, and it improved in every way possible in special effects, color, and difficult mazes. It even had moving fruit. In fact, she's the first female to star in her own game. Many gamers who know about this game are not afraid to say that Ms. Pac-Man is better than Pac-Man.

For me, this game was definitely addictive. The game and graphics are simple, but it's another one of those games that can become addictive for a long time.

This game will probably never go away. It'll live on forever, because it's so much fun. You hear it, you see it, and you instantly know what it is. There aren't that many games out there that do that, and that's why I believe that Ms. Pac-Man belongs on this list.
    #28 - Super Mario Kart (Part 2)

Super Mario Kart (SNES) - The first game that started it all.
    Mario Kart 64 (N64) - The first game to use voices for the characters.
    Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA) - The first handheld Mario Kart game, and the first game to use retro courses.
    Mario Kart: Double Dash (GCN) - The first game to have two players in one kart and allow you to choose your vehicle.
    Mario Kart DS (DS) - The first game to have online play and missions.
    Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - The first game to use the Wii Wheel and allow you to ride a bike instead of a kart.
    Mario Kart 7 (N3DS) - The first game to have a customization feature and add air and sea features to the game.

Other companies would capitalize on the success of Super Mario Kart. Some would flop. Others would stand out as their own racing games. One thing is certain. Super Mario Kart has stood the test of time, and will always be one of the best games out there. With the Wii U launching, I wonder what the next game will be. I can't wait.
    #28 - Super Mario Kart (Part 1)

Many may not say that this is the best Mario Kart game, but it was the first, and it was a lot of fun. I know it was for me.

When I first got this game, I was confused at how it worked. It was completely different from anything I've ever experienced. I was still a young kid at the time. After a few tries and learning how it worked, I realized how much fun this game really was. It was also wild that you could be the bad guys (Koopa & Bowser) in the game. Before Super Mario Kart, I don't think that was ever done in a Mario game.

Rainbow Road...that was murderous... And it's always the last course of the Special Cup... And it was always murderous...except in Mario Kart 64.

I think what makes this stand out on the list is that it started a legacy of games. Since Super Mario Kart, there has been a Mario Kart game in every system (Not including the NES, GB, & GBC.). We're always anxious for the next Mario Kart game, whenever a new system comes out. And each game added different features.
    #30 - Super Street Fighter II Turbo

Even though Street Fighter was the first game, it was Street Fighter II: The World Warrior that started a revolution in gaming. Everyone wanted to play this game. It was flexible, each character was different (I know that Ryu & Ken were exactly the same, but in later versions, they would be altered.), the music was memorable, and so were the sound effects and dialogue. With that success, later versions would be made. Street Fighter II: Championship Edition allowed you to play as the four boss characters. Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting gave the player the ability to increase the fighting speed of the characters and gave some of them new special moves. Super Street Fighter II added more flexibility to the characters and added four more characters. And now, this game.

I'll be honest with you. I have never played this version of the game. However, it's gameplay is similar to earlier versions, which is why I placed it in my favorites.

This game had everything the last games had, and added Super Combos to all the fighters. It also added one final character to the roster...Akuma! I've seen these fights on the Internet, and I'm like, "WHAT THE HELL?!" What you have to go through to face him, and then facing him was murderous because his special attacks were as powerful as Super Combos. He was super fast, he was super strong... To think he'd be around this long in the franchise... I like it.

Two more games would come out, Hyper Street Fighter II & Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix. In my opinion, no matter which version of Street Fighter II you've played, it remains a classic and a favorite to any generation of gamers.
    #32 - Mike Tyson's Punch Out! (Part 2)

You have to admit, Little Mac was a badass. To wear a pink jump suit and still get in the ring with Mike Tyson? That's crazy, but it shows you that he couldn't care less. Who would've thought that the cutscenes would become a popular Internet meme (Ni**a Stole My Bike)?

Mike Tyson - Oh, my God! The first 90 seconds were always the most brutal moments of the fight. He hits you with an uppercut once, you're down. It was always tough to figure out a pattern of dodging, because sometimes, he would hesitate, and it would cause you to flinch and dodge. Once that mistake is made, he hits you, and you go down. I HATED THAT!! So tough! Even after you survived the first 90 seconds, he still wasn't easy to finish. By Round 3, he's letting it all out.

A very memorable game! I don't know why Nintendo can't release this version of Punch Out again? Who cares about Mr. Dream? It's Iron Mike that we remember! If they went and re-released it with Mike Tyson's name on it, the game would sell like hotcakes again. I can promise you that, because we love Mike!
    #32 - Mike Tyson's Punch Out! (Part 1)

Oh, wow! I LOVE Mike Tyson's Punch Out! It wasn't really considered a boxing game, but we all loved it because it was very entertaining. Each character was different and increasingly difficult. Even after you've mastered the game, there was always that one moment that, if you screwed up, it throws off your momentum, and then you get clobbered. I hated that so much during the tougher fights.

Glass Joe - Easiest dude in the game. Why would you even be a fighter? You've obviously earned the name, "Glass Joe".
    Von Kaiser - Crazy German. Still easy.
    Piston Honda - Japan fighter with the weird eyes. Both a Minor Circuit Champ and a contender in the World Circuit.
    Don Flamenco - A contender in the Major Circuit (easy), and surprisingly a tricky contender in the World Circuit (Surprised that you ranked higher than Bald Bull.)
    King Hippo - Another tricky fighter, but once he's figured out, he's easy. And once he's down, he's out.
    Great Tiger - Interesting pattern for this guy. Tricky.
    Bald Bull - My only gripe is mistiming the counterpunch for the Bull Charge. You mistimed that, and you're down. I'm surprised that he had a unique way to go down the second time you faced him.
    Soda Popinski - Formally known as Vodka Drunkensky, he changed his name to be more family-friendly oriented when the game came to the NES. He's still an annoying dude.
    Mr. Sandman - Tough individual, he is. Fast, tricky, and the three uppercuts...what was it called? Dreamland Express? I could never defeat him in Round 1. It was always in Round 2. Until I learned of a recent trick, but I'm not getting into that.
    Super Macho Man - That Macho Spin Punch, I think it was called... Annoying. Still, I've got to say that Mr. Sandman was tougher than Super Macho Man.
    #39 - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

Many may question how this game made the list and its position on the countdown. I, however, will ignore those areas and focus on why I like the game.

This is probably the first skateboarding game I've ever played, and it was done so well. It was something very different that I never expected. I tried it, and I enjoyed it. I wish I could say I was addicted to its sequels, but the only other game I played was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 on the GCN. Both games made me have more appreciation for skateboarders and how crazy they are for doing these kinds of stunts. I'm sure the majority of those stunts aren't done in real life, but there are things you can do in a game that you can't do in real life, which made the games that much more fun. Good job, Tony!
    #41 - Super Mario 64

Super Mario 64, the game that sent Mario into a new world of gaming. It was definitely a huge jump in Mario's world. From 2D to 3D, it was a huge blast. Once again, Mario had to rescue Peach from Bowser. That story is nothing new to us at this point in time. However, the gameplay and the way these Mario games are made keep us coming back for more. Super Mario 64 was no exception to this. Mario is definitely more versatile in contrast to the way he was in games before 64. What I also loved was the different caps that he used. It was a change from the power-ups we were used to seeing in previous Mario titles, but it still didn't change the fact that they were awesome. We would soon see the Metal Box become a product of the Smash Bros. universe. The paintings that led into different worlds... And the fights with Bowser, grabbing his tail, swinging him around, and throwing him into bombs (or were those mines?). That was fun.

[IMG]

This game would soon be remade for the DS and add Yoshi, Wario, & Luigi as playable characters. It was just as fun, adding more content to the game, stages to explore, and stars to find. Super Mario 64 definitely stands out as a fantastic game that was a huge breakthrough for Nintendo. Way to go, Mario!
    #50 - Sonic The Hedgehog (Part 2)

My most memorable moment of the character, and probably favorite one, would probably when he clashed with Mario and became a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. THAT WAS AMAZING! I was just disappointed that he was a last-minute-added character, and his role in The Subspace Emissary was minor. Hopefully, he'll make a return in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. games, and this time, as a major character alongside Mario, if they create another story. I'd LOVE to see that happen! I mean, they're the stars in the Olympic Games, which became a series, so I can see that possibility.

Whether you hate him or love him, Sonic stands out as one of the most memorable video game characters of all time, and I'm really looking forward to the future.

• Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…