• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
P

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Sorry for the late response, but I wasn't really going into any of this with the idea that I was going to be debating with you. I simply wanted to discuss a couple of hang ups that I had. The latter part of your first sentence struck me as a bit aggressive considering that all I'm interested in is being a good anti-racist. I think you may have mistaken me for someone that wants to stay willingly blind to their privilege. I'll simply say that the area of social justice is like any other field, with debate and discussion to be had. I understand your frustration though and sympathize, for whatever that's worth.
    I got word about your 17-year-old cat.

I can nearly emphasize. I had a black cat who died about that age. My dad told me; he later told me that dogs attacked it.
    No worries, Pesky P. Take all the time you need, and I hope something happens to improve your day. ^_^

Edit: Maybe some playful giant birds will help cheer you up?
    "Educate yourself. There are toooons of sociological articles on why cultural appropriation is harmful to oppressed groups. When it comes down to it, these people are killed every day for their culture and you're defending people who commodify it and profit off it."

I read that entire article. It was actually really interesting as I have an interest in social justice, but my hang up with it is that I feel a large chunk of what it's saying can be summed up as "If you're white, act like it." I can see how cultural appropriation could in theory be detrimental and rob people of their cultural identity, but I seriously question how much of a real, tangible, or quantifiable effect it's actually having today. There's multiple things in the article actually that I'd love to discuss with you should you have the time and patience.
    I wonder if he recognizes a potential problem in posting "you need to calm down" in a thread based around discussion of feminism
    Seriously, though, it's like none of these people remember my educational background until the full force of it's hitting them in the face like a giant floppy dildo made of text.
    Oh for sure, was just sayin'. :> (Also in agreement that Moogles is pretty darn pro. He's a chill dude.)

I get being resistant to the idea of it at first, but how one can completely deny the idea of some people being privileged and others being systematically oppressed after thinking about it just a little is beyond me. Maybe part of it is that everyone wants to be a victim - it puts you in a special position, after all - and nobody wants to be part of the group of "evil oppressors."

Also don't forgot that all issues of discrimination based on gender/race/sexuality/etc are clearly over now, and there's no point in even discussing the history of it. Because you're right - if we want to talk about our problems, we automatically have to talk about other groups' problems, too. We don't want to hog all the attention and victimization now, do we?
    Fair enough - the reasoning has more to do with "someone who exhibits this behaviour once is likely to do so again" so it's also a matter of prevention and whatnot.
    But yeah, isn't it lovely the way some people try to end feminist discussions? Whether it's "make me a sandwich" or "but men are oppressed toooooooooo."
    Thank you - it feels like a lot of the pro-feminists have fled the thread.
    Also, one of the reps you got from that thread looks pretty iffy - considering it tells you to "stop posting" and whatnot it may be considered abusive and report-worthy.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Pesky Persian again."
    There is not enough pos rep in the world I can give you for the feminism thread right now.
    <3 u too. I always send good thoughts your way.

Also I wanted Orange is the new black in like two days that's how good it was omfg. but feel better bb
    I thought nothing of the sort. Don't worry about walking on eggshells with me, aha. But thanks for the go ahead; enjoy your time with the beau. ^_^
    Pesky, I know you don't want to talk with me about our differing opinions on kindness and whatnot. But the instance we're perched rockily over opens up a few philosophical questions I'm motivated to pursue. Would you mind if I had the conversation with someone else (jovialPhilosopher, to be specific)? I ask because I don't want you to feel as though I'm doing something dirty like talking about you behind your back or some ridiculous and sleazy thing like that. =/

Please let me know at your earliest convenience. =)
    That's alright, Pesky. I'm just relieved you replied. I had begun to worry that something in my previous VM had offended you. And yes, my profile bio has been the same thing almost since I joined. It's a quote, a description of Marius, from Hugo's Les Miserables, and it is spectacularly appropriate for me as well. I don't consider anything in your VM a stab at me; straightforward and thoughtful honesty is very good.

Anyway, you hit the nail on the head, if you'll forgive my swift agreement with you. (I have to chuckle that you say we butt heads "so often," when I can think of just three instances. If you want to know what butting heads often is, ask Ellie for stories about me and her as colleagues for five years. ;P) Of course you aren't obliged to explain yourself to me, and I don't mean to give the impression I think otherwise. But I hope you'll understand that I'm driven to seek understanding anyway. I can understand being the sort of person who wants or needs to be tough and insensitive; what I struggle to understand is intentional cruelty to innocent people (not instances of provocation, don't worry, but instead like the cancer charity kid).

And if you'll tolerate another question, I'm also curious what you mean about being wary of me.
    I'd say the opportunities are specific and united by a single theme/reason. (Including our disagreement on your response to JDavidC, I count three instances of me being 'on your case.' Unless I'm missing any?)

But I don't know how to have this conversation with you. TheFightingPikachu and I can disagree passionately and take each other to task with no remorse, even teasing/half-mocking each other in the process. But all the while, and at the end, we are enjoying one another's contributions and remain fast friends. Though we disagree, we seem to lose none of our esteem in the other's eyes. You and I disagree far less, about far fewer things, but in these couple of cases where I've replied critically to something you posted, it ends up just feeling all judgmental-y, doesn't it? That's frustrating, because I have reasons for thinking you're wrong about this or that and I assume you have reasons of your own, which I want to understand (even if they don't end up convincing me).

But I think the difference is that TFP and I, both being philosophically inclined, automatically adopt a stance whereby we grant provisionally that each of our positions is up for consideration on its merits, and this tacit assumption means we always walk into our disagreements willingly, even if one of us drops out of the blue into a discussion the other was having with someone else. I think since the JDavidC situation, you and I do not automatically share this mutually-willing your-position-will-be-respectfully-considered stance (assuming we ever did before, we've interacted precious little; and I don't get the impression you naturally adopt this "philosopher's stance" outside of specific contexts like the debate forum), which means when I've called you out on a behavior or attitude I thought stood to be corrected or explained, it amounts to little more than unsolicited criticism. And that's why I apologize. =x

What do you think?
    ----------
    This also isn't the debate forum and I don't have to justify my stance to you so I would appreciate if you'd ease up on the tone policing. :)
    ----------
    You are right, of course. I thought better of the last VM I left you, and came on today intending to apologize for picking on you when I think you're being unnecessarily mean. It's really none of my business. So I am sorry, Pesky P. *abashed*

For what it's worth, my reply to Ellie was solely an explanation to clear up her (or anyone's) confusion about where I drew my understanding; it was not an exhortation for justification from you, nor an invitation to debate.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…