• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
E
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• A lot of things about Gen I were very cumbersome and "wrong." Remember, one of the best mons to use in Gen I, that was only outclassed by MewTwo (and Mew I guess), was Tauros. Special was one stat that governed both Special Attack and Special Defense. All attacks were based off of their type as to whether they were special or physical. Critical hit chance was based off of speed rather than a static amount.
    Gen I made a lot of mistakes, many of which didn't get sorted out until Gen III. In that time, other Ghost types were introduced, as well as the Dark Type to balance out Psychic, and Steel to balance out Poison (Don't forget, Gen I introduced more Poison than any other gen).

As for Gyrados, a sad story to consider: He's based off the fish that jumped over the mountain (last post), that became a dragon, but didn't ACTUALLY become a dragon. Instead he only looked like a dragon and acts like a dragon, but the sad finale is that he isn't actually a dragon, not that anybody is going to argue with him.
    A lot of things about Gen I were very cumbersome and "wrong." Remember, one of the best mons to use in Gen I, that was only outclassed by MewTwo (and Mew I guess), was Tauros. Special was one stat that governed both Special Attack and Special Defense. All attacks were based off of their type as to whether they were special or physical. Critical hit chance was based off of speed rather than a static amount.
    Gen I made a lot of mistakes, many of which didn't get sorted out until Gen III. In that time, other Ghost types were introduced, as well as the Dark Type to balance out Psychic, and Steel to balance out Poison (Don't forget, Gen I introduced more Poison than any other gen).

As for Gyrados, a sad story to consider: He's based off the fish that jumped over the mountain (last post), that became a dragon, but didn't ACTUALLY become a dragon. Instead he only looked like a dragon and acts like a dragon, but the sad finale is that he isn't actually a dragon, not that anybody is going to argue with him.
    I saw a thread you posted some time ago about Gyrados and Gengar.

You made a good point about Gengar's typing based on Gen I game mechanics (Note: there is a glitch in Gen I where Lick wasn't very effective vs. Psychic types) and that made sense, but I think its typing is good and a senseable Poison type, as it is a haunted gas cloud (somebody mentioned this in the thread). Given game mechanics as it is, changing him to just ghost would greatly weaken him. Also, what is a better visage of death than a sentient poison gas cloud?

As for Gyrados, there's some speculation about a switch around of its sprite. Consider Dragonite as the last form of is chain, then compair Dragonaire to Gyrados and Magikarp to Dragonite. Gyrados/Dragonair share the similar body type/coloring, as do Magikarp/Dragonite. Dragonite's Antenne look almost identical to Magikarp's Whiskers, but upside down. As for Magikarp's "origin" story, it's based on an old Japanese legend of an ugly fish that wanted to be a dragon, so it JUMPED OVER A MOUNTAIN and *POW* Dragon. Now this explains his typing as Water/Flying, and what may have supposed to been his wings renforce it (And it looks like a Dragon "should" look like, thus completeing the story). The only "lose end" this sprite switching leaves is how can Dragonite (Gyrados Sprite) fly without wings? But if it were a dragon, nobody would really care, because Dragons are magical.

Also, anybody who thinks Pikachu can reliably kill Gyrados is dopey. Pikachu may be faster, but Gyrados' Sp. Def is twice Pikachu's Sp. Attack. This may be negated by Pikachu's Light Ball, but all that set up does is kill one very specific Pokemon sometimes (Remember, Gyrados can equip Assault Vest and Berries that reduce damage, or have a focus sash), and if Gyrados wins, Pikachu dies. Really, the electric weakness is probably the only thing keeping him IN OU, rather than under the BAN HAMMER, as with all super strong Pokemon that have a 4x weakness.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…