• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
JX Valentine

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Yeah, exactly, although it's not like we're busy having a life while we're on the hangout anyways. :p And thank you! I'm sure when I eventually enter college, it'll be all the weirder. In a good way, probably.
    Bru totally needs to say, "YES!" to the dress.

Sorry for VM stalking, but I saw that comment and I couldn't help but laugh because of my own experiences. So, are you doing well? Or at least better than you were when we last talked?
    Hm. I'm not sure how to respond really, other than I'm terribly sorry that youve had to read so much fic, and from the sounds of it, it doesnt sound like good fics either D:
    Although I will thank you, because you've given me a new idea that I want to try out in planning my stories...
    Which means I'll have to restart my progress on SoD.
    Again.
    For the third time.
    *sigh* Ill get there. Eventually.
    True, it is much easier to use the hangouts for such. And yeah, I remember you talking about that in the last hangout you were in. Hope it all works out for you soon!

I'm doing well. Got quite a bit of writing done recently since Vulpi was kind enough to bug me about it and convinced me to write more. Other than that, I'm finally 19, so that's weird. Not much else of interest is going on in my life, though.
    It's definitely true that the Ditto did not have an awesome human life, and rest assured, he will think about what he's lost. The main one is that the two characters were dating before, and they were together when "it" happened, and thus were both affected. But they didn't wake up in the same place. They start off separated. So the one problem that the Ditto has is that he misses his girlfriend. The Zorua misses her stuff, frankly. Which I guess says a lot about them. But the Ditto had always been inspired by Pokemon in various ways, but never had the starting funds to leave his livelihood to be a trainer or professor's assistant (or even a ranger, since he's from Fiore). The girl is the daughter of a successful pokemon breeder, so while she knows alot about them... she knows a lot about them. The ditto doesnt quite realize the implications of what he's become, which is partly why he isnt so worried. The girl is much more aware of these issues, which is why, at least subconsciously, she is much more upset about it. Ultimately, though, she'd be much more equipped to survive as a Pokemon than her counterpart.

Chronologically, it wouldnt make sense for us to learn about why he isnt so upset until he starts to think about things that he's lost, for instance. At least to me, anyway.

And yes, you sound kind of testy, but I wasnt worried about it.
    Realistically, I see as the reaction to the transformation to be initially one of confusion or shock. You can't have them instantly think about everything they've lost if they dont even understand what happened. In fact, I dont really see them worrying about their loss until they sober up from the initial reaction in that slow time where all they're doing is thinking. In a typical setting, it'd go like: "Wut" -> "Am I crazy?" -> ""No, this is real." -> "Am I present danger?" -> (Yes) Get out of danger. (No) Think harder about it -> Realize loss -> Deal with/mourn the loss -> Resolve to go try and find a way back (or not, depending)-> accept what they are for now so they can develop their skills -> develop skills -> etc.
    Obviously, thats very bare bones, but thats how I sort of see it happening. Because you make it seem like these characters would immediately have an issue with what happened on the rationale line of what they had lost, when I personally believe that they'd have to get past the sheer amount of "wut" they would have.

@ the under duress thing: Now I just have to wonder how long it would take for him to grasp basis telekinesis from the Kirlia he copied...

@ realism v interest: Sure, it's best t have both. I'm just saying it as if you had to choose.
    That was the entirety of the antithesis that I have simultaneously running in my head. It's a thought I always try to keep in mind when designing PMD characters. 2/3rds of the main characters I'm thinking of are definitely not going to be happy with it at all. Additionally, Shane isn't quite happy with it either. The ditto guy will actually be the only character I take ownership of that wont be as upset (although he'll reflect on that as well. He just wont be upset at first) as one might expect. The Zorua girl will have issues with what happened for for the very reason that she lost her entire everything and is definitely not happy about it. The last one, who ends up being an Espurr, is not happy about it for a different reason (that being that my headcanon for an Espurr makes me feel bad for the poor cat).

I definitely agree with you that making a bunch of characters who are all "Yeah, being a Pokemon is cool so who cares!" is very bad. However, the opposite extreme is nothing but constant angst, which is no better. The now-Ditto is -okay- (not happy or glad or anything, at least past the first excitement) with what happened cuz his life sucked before and the Pokemon he ended up with wasnt so bad. The now-Zorua had everything before and was quite privileged, so logically, she would not be very into what happened, not in the least bit. Not to mention the whole quadruped thing. The now-Espurr draws most of his irritation from what he turned into, which is only accented by being able to remember that it wasnt always that way.
    So I have a little conflict here. What's better: realism or interest? I assume making a story interesting is more important than making it that realistic, or else the concept of Pokemon wouldn't exist in the first place. The other problem is that I have to wonder if personality types are truly infinite or not. Can you potentially find any personality type out there? I like to believe so, which spawns characters like April as well one of my very interesting RP characters (a bubbly ditz of a young Pachirisu who is not only evil, but in masterful control of her emotions, to the point where you could compare it to a switchboard and she turns them each on and off when she wants to). In that respect, the ditto guy's personality becomes plausible.
    I know you love some freak out, but is it possible to have someone who isn't all that concerned about what happened? Especially considering he can remember his prior life. I mean, you ask some of the people in the Fan Fic section if they'd like to be a Pokemon in a PMD setting and many of those would have to think about it! It'd be even more likely for someone in the Pokemon world to be fine, almost happy, with being turned into Pokemon than someone in our world being turned into something like a dog, because Pokemon are sentient (so they could interact with other Pokemon much the same way as two people would, whereas the person-turned-dog would have difficulties in that area even if they somehow retained their mental facilities). Additionally, Pokemon do cool things.

Sounds kinda like I rambled on a tangent there, but the main thing I'm tangling with is figuring out whether a person could realistically not be that concerned in the negative of being turned into a Pokemon. Because I don't know if it is, although I would very much like it to be.
    So the story I'm looking at has two PMD characters (well, it has 3, but were only foucsing on two of them) and both of them retain perfect memories of their lives as humans.

One of them is a girl that became a Zorua, very much to her dismay. In fact, she's so freaked out and aggravated that she can't even walk (she's focusing too much on it instead of letting it just happen). In that respect, it would take a very, very long time for her to be able to do any attack that wasn't as obvious as ramming or scratching something. That's to say nothing about her own illusory gifts.

The male character is the one that becomes a Ditto. Unlike the girl, he isn't all that worried. He's phenomenally confused, but he doesn't freak out about it because he's not all that opposed to what happened. Except that he doesn't know how to walk like that; Ditto don't have legs. There's a Pokemon frozen in ice not too far from him, and he knows that Ditto can Transform. If this characters wants and tries hard enough under the motivation that he couldn't get anywhere if he couldn't figure this out, do you think the character could trigger at least an imperfect Duplica's-Ditto-esque transformation?
    One of the main issues is that I can't just have this character sit there and do nothing because that's boring. By necessity, he has to be able get at least some form of Transform to work or he will be doing is a whole lot of nothing. The girl is objectively doing nothing, but that's okay because she's freaking out about and being all kinds of white-teen-girl-dropped-in-a-bad-scenario hilarious. The male character can't do this because it's boring to have them both freak out for extended periods of time. That, and the male isn't like that anyway.
    A quick thing~

I went walking through a local state park today, and part of it was like right out of a creepypasta. The first part of the trail had a random bandana hanging off a tree branch. When I crossed over an abandoned mill site, the nearby bridge had something written on it.

"By the time you see me, it will be too late."

I was appropriately freaked out, and made a mental note to share the story with you.
    I don't know how many messages in a row I can send you before it becomes a nuisance, but I keep doing it anyway!

Anyway, Knighty and I were discussing the inter-workings of a Ditto, and talking about how they function. A character in one of my upcoming fics is a Ditto, so I was trying to discuss the plausible realities behind that Pokemon. Because if the medias (games, manga, and anime) are anything to go by, Ditto not only copy the physical form, but also their skills as well. You never see a Ditto struggle with figuring out to be the Pokemon they turn into, whether its the first time they've been that Pokemon before. Even if it takes some short time to do that, as it would obviously feel unfamiliar, but ultimately theyd adapt to that form quickly.

I just figured you're good with headcanon and thinking stuff, so I was wondering what your headcanon was behind Ditto and how they work.
    I have to disappoint you by saying I already know about that. =p Well, not about it being mentioned on ffnet, but I saw that (I think in a signature? If not then just a post) in the Games section here. I think I went 'uhhhhh' for a moment, then shrugged. who can resist this though honestly

Yay! \o/ And have more. Including a portable wishing well.
    So, I found a used bookstore that's really huge (three buildings worth) and I went there the other day to see what they have. It should be no surprise what I left the store with.

[spoil][/spoil]
    BOUGHT ALL THE CARD BOOKS

And that was really the high point of my year so far. :V

Congratulations on all the awards for your work here. Well-deserved, and some day I'll actually get a chance to read AEM. Meanwhile, you take care of yourself!
    Yeah, they're entertaining reads.

*stalks vms briefly* Yikes, very busy month or so for you indeed. D= Hang in there!
    Congrats on winning best story! =)

I can't help but ask though - can we expect another entertaining (and apparently annual) commentary on the awards? :>
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…