• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
M

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• XD I think that's where the most of the charm comes in, is that we got to care for two robots. The last movie I can think of where I (and most likely other people) cared for a robot was Short Circuit, even though Johnny Five had dialogue, but he's charming, just like WALL-E. I remember sitting in that theater squeeing the entire time. I mean, I had been excited for that film to begin with, so naturally I was going to get into it. I just had no idea what I was really in for, lol. I'm honestly glad that Pixar made it. It was one of the first stories they came up with, Andrew Stanton was just not yet confident in the technology and animation at the time until after Finding Nemo.

Perhaps.

Yeah, I thought of that as well, but those parents probably have issues of their own for not putting enough faith in their own children's intelligence. If they are good parents, and know they're raising their children right, there's no need to get angry over it. But then again, it seems everyone's so thin-skinned these days, which is why Disney's playing it so safe and not willing to get ballsy. At least DreamWorks isn't afraid of it because they're competent at it, so if Disney's not going to do it, I think DreamWorks should do it. (Speaking of DreamWorks, they got new management in light of the wage-fixing cartel scandal. Meanwhile, there's nothing about Disney doing the same thing.)

Yup. Free Birds. Same studio, but not the same writers, though.
    I still love WALL-E, lol. I actually get a bit peeved off when all people remember about the film is the environmental message, even though that was mostly the C-plot and wasn't the theme of the movie to begin with.

Just because Disney has a few black spots on their history doesn't mean that their reputation was never positive. They were never a hateful company, and they have grown with the times. (Sure, their time in World War II is a bit iffy, but everyone was doing what they did, though you never hear of people harping on Warner Bros. for it like they do with Disney.) Since when has Tumblr ever made a difference in the real world? And even then, do you want Tumblr to make a difference in the real world?

Disney should just stop worrying about the color of a character's skin and just focus on what the themes are--let the character's ethnicity and the story's setting come naturally. I actually brought it up to a friend recently that I seriously believe that Disney should tackle child abuse one day, and address it as a problem and have the villain, the abuser, be the biological parent(s). The closest we've gotten to that was in Hunchback, Snow White, Cinderella and Tangled, but the villains weren't the biological parent of the protagonists. Only problem is they'd have to get a competent writer to write the screenplay.

There's some narrative problems with Book of Life, but for the most part, it was nice to watch. The animation studio also did Free Birds (uuuuuuuugh), but this is honestly the better movie of the two, even though I don't know if it's really done as well as Free Birds.
    Heh, I mean, for what it is it's not bad, but there are better Disney movies out there, and there were better movies that came out that year (WALL-E, Kung Fu Panda).

It's "awkward" because people are making them awkward when that wasn't the purpose from the start. People can't seem to grasp that standards back then are different from the standards of today. We need to stop bitching about the past and focus on the now, because otherwise we're not going to go anywhere. Leave the past history alone, and just make history. I have issues with Frozen that go past the whole ~equality~ hype because it didn't do ~equality~ correctly. Come on, the animation director moaned that "women are too hard to animate and keep beautiful". How is that ~equality~?

Lol. Again, I personally don't care about a character's ethnicity unless it's part of the setting and thus plays a role in it--and even then, I just don't think about it. I get it that Mulan is Chinese, and Lilo and Nana are Hawaiian, and Tiana is black mainly because of the culture surrounding them (even though the character designs stick out, but it's not sticking out like a sore thumb), but I don't care about their skin color because the movies don't rub it in my face about it. I don't care that Big Hero 6 tried to be more racially diverse even though thinking on it, how was I supposed to know they were of different races when the movie's setting doesn't reflect it? To me, culture is what defines a person's ethnicity, not skin color. That's why The Book of Life worked well for me, because while I don't care about the skin color of the characters, I knew they were Mexican because of the culture. (Watch Book of Life, by the way, the art direction's amazing.)
    I thought it was "meh" when I first saw it, and I still think it's "meh". There were good ideas in the film, though I don't think it really reached its true potential. Yeah, the milking on Lilo & Stitch was a bit much, to the point that when the Japanese got their hands on it... yeah. At least the milking is finished now. ...I think...

I think Disney can take a few nasty hits and still manage to make it out okay, they've always run into problems at some point down the road. I've been thinking to myself that if Disney continues on this path of mediocrity and/or "fixing equality" (when honestly, their movies were almost always ahead of their time, if not a product of the times--which people seriously need to stop bitching about and stick to the present), I may end up stop watching their newer movies because I don't want to be constantly disappointed by them. And I love Disney, I just hate what they're doing.

Like I said, they don't really delve deep into foreign cultures because the few times they did, it was a bit cringe-worthy, outside of Mulan and I suppose Lilo and Stitch. I don't see what's so culture-savvy about Big Hero 6 at all. Hell, I actually recently found out the tall girl was Hispanic, and I had no idea she was--probably because I seriously don't care about the ethnicity of a character unless the setting's in a place where it's obvious.
    Bolt's not bad, but it's forgettable at times. And yeah, it's upsetting, I agree. And I think Chris Sanders does work better in a place like DreamWorks as well. He just got lucky with Lilo & Stitch at Disney, if you ask me.

Yeah, Disney doesn't seem to have it anymore, and it's just so sad to see. (But then again, given what's going on behind the scenes these days...) I haven't seen Princess and the Frog yet (for some reason), but I've heard nothing but praise for it. It's just such a damn shame the timing was terrible (which I think they did on purpose, same with Winnie the Pooh in 2011--who in the hell pits their movie up against Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on the same weekend?)

I honestly couldn't tell what culture it was because it could take place in just about anywhere in Europe--the snow landscapes didn't help one bit. And that's not a good thing.
    True, even though Disney should be grateful to Bolt because the film saved the studio after movies Home on the Range, Chicken Little, and Meet the Robinsons nearly killed them. My friend has a grudge toward Bolt because of the history behind it. It was originally called "American Dog" and it was going to be directed by Chris Sanders (Lilo and Stitch), but John Lasseter (chief creative officer of Disney and Pixar and thus encourages creativity, and brought Studio Ghibli films overseas because he's good friends with Miyazaki) didn't like it because Cars already took place in the American Southwest, and didn't want another movie in that setting amongst other reasons (though those reasons are probably justified, it's hard to say anymore). So Chris Sanders left to work for DreamWorks, and thus we got How to Train Your Dragon.

Which is odd because Disney used to be ballsy. Come on, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was a ballsy move on Walt Disney's part. The studio is founded on ballsy decisions.

Which doesn't make sense because they've incorporated culture into their other films fine. They don't have to go into great detail about the culture (the few times they did, there were some problems), but we should at least get a good feel of it.
    Disney's done animated action movies before (Bolt best comes to mind). It was perhaps under a different genre, but the action still played a part in the movie that I would consider it as an action movie alongside the other genre.

Disney needs to stop playing things safe. They wouldn't have to endorse it if they were to show the consequences of it. Yeah, they showed Hiro and Tadashi getting arrested for running from the police, but I still think they should've had an illegal bot ring play at least a subplot in the film. Maybe then we'd have gotten a more feel of the city and its culture, because I barely felt any culture in this film. It has the same problem as Frozen in that I didn't know what the culture was because they don't have it anywhere.
    Nope. Damn heathens.

It's a good movie for what it is--it's way better than Frozen for sure--and it has good visuals and action, but it was cliché, and just didn't feel like Disney. I couldn't get into the characters, that was one of the biggest problems for me was that I didn't care about them. The duo dynamic of Baymax and Hiro didn't click for me like Hiccup and Toothless. I actually wish we focused on the illegal bot fighting, because that was the most interesting part of the film for me.
    Right, and it's a shame. Everything's being treated like crap these days unless they have a big-name big monies name attached to it.

By the way, saw Big Hero 6 today. It did not feel like a Disney film at all, it felt like it was trying to be DreamWorks. It was like their answer to How to Train Your Dragon but with superheroes and a robot.
    Not these days in Hollywood, no. Only a few directors and independent films seem to give a crap about their films, but independent films are treated like crap in Hollywood more often than not.

TT^TT
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…