• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
Baba Yaga
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• I haven't, but I also have never heard of them up until now. Maybe I'll do some poking-around and see what I can find about going in that direction.
    I got my B.A. in philosophy back in May and am currently stuck in a place where I don't really know where to go from here -- finding a school for anything higher might be tough if I pursue those. However, my last year or so, I took a lot of classes dealing in philosophy of art, and I was specifically studying narrative for my degree. I got to write about video games as a narrative medium, which was pretty interesting, because it meant a lot of applying existing philosophy to something that hasn't gotten much academic interest.

But, I mean, probably not as interesting as it sounds, I guess.
    Entirely fair.

I definitely do recommend letting out the frustration somehow, including yelling at the screen in real life. Better not to let it fester inside too long.
    It's not easy for me, either, it's just that I tend to not put in a lot of the "you dumb mother****er"s and the like from my thought processes in my posts when I argue with people, but rest assured that when I'm arguing with people on the internet at this point I am absolutely losing my **** in real life.
    In short, I don't think majority rule has any intrinsic moral legitimacy. The merits of democracy are instrumental or tactical. Groups of people trying to keep each other in check and so on.

Voting is also about tactics, but the weight of a single vote is low, so there's the risk of free riding. Also, abstaining is a good tactic when all of the candidates are really bad and roughly equally so because it encourages better ones in future elections. Lobbying is usually more influential than voting in any case.
    No. I lurk most of the time, just rarely feel like I have anything to say. Spring Break was two weeks ago.
    The teacher is a hardass. That's it, really. sorry for late reply. school and all.
    bleh. Started two graduate courses this semester. One has been rather lax, but the other class has been something else entirely.
    I'm doing about as well as can be expected. Three papers plus a five or so homework assignments I need to get done by the middle of next week, but then I'll enjoy a summer of mostly just work. It'll be grand.
    Also, I apologize for never being to find time to post a response in your 'antitheism' thread (at least, inasmuch as the 'don't bump threads 30 days old' rule allows). School got really busy really suddenly and just didn't stop. Such is life though.
    I don't disagree. It's a difficult subject to approach; particularly because people see religion as personal and will take offense to saying that it's, in some sense, fundamentally wrong. At the same time--and perhaps I'm brash for saying this--I don't think it's possible to criticize religion without being seen as offensive, at least by some. Would I say it's a persecution complex? Dunno if I'd quite call it that. I can't quite word it correctly, but it has to do with what it means to be a member of a community (in this case, religious community). It's hard to ignore the impact a community as an aggregate does when you can examine what individuals have done. They will want to idolize Einstein because he might have been religious as a case for religion and science can work in concert but don't bring up that religion as an aggregate has done harm. Although the Dover classroom has settled a lot of the dust, creationism in the classroom is an ongoing issue (this study in particular did a nice analysis in a post-Dover world). If pushed into a corner though, I'd imagine most religious people who hold beliefs that are more agreeable would attempt to distance themselves from creationisms, in a sort of 'No True Scotsman Fallacy.' However, the difficulty comes when analyzing religion as an aggregate, understanding fringes exist on both sides that represent extrema of good and bad. For me, I have a hard time analyzing religion as an aggregate, but at the very least, I understand that's where the discussion needs to go. Anti-theism has to be put in the position of challenging this impact as an aggregate at the same time addressing the complex role religion plays as an institution and as a personal guide; and for people who follow it understand that they need to own up to what other believes do.

Anyway, I think I said enough for now.
    Do they?

To be honest, I'm not sure where exactly I stand. I don't believe in God; I made that clear in one of my earlier posts. The fact is, whether or not religion is good or not is something I've been wondering myself--all I want is a good discussion that helps give me something to think about. Since physics is what I study, I find the intersection of science and religion most--for lack of a better word--relevant to my own life. That said, unless someone gives me a good reason otherwise, I'll probably continue to assume "religion is useless to science" insofar as it adds nothing to my understanding of the world.
    Nah, it does feel kinda quiet lately. I can't even just say 'it's college' because it seemed decently active in January.
    That's a horrible thought process. If the police don't care about enforcing the laws, why should you?
    I just really hate censor bypassing. It also seems like none of the mods care enough to edit posts.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…