• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
Starlight Aurate

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Pretty much the same, except in my case it'll be "Darn work" and "Don't they know I have better things to do than this editorial thing that gives me money?".

XD At least you're succeeding in the social aspect of it!
    Heh, I remember having to read some of their stories for school too! It's nice that we got to use those to fuel our respective projects. Now if only school became cooperative enough to let you write...

XD That's true. But hey, being a nerd means you get to appreciate all these awesome stuff!

Well, thank you for your reviews to those snippets! And now we've come full circle! Woo!! XD
    XD I'm pretty much the opposite. Back then I was set on making a chaptered fic, so all my focus went there. I then got too busy to write fanfics since all my writing was focused on school, so by the time I got the energy to write fanfic again, I came from being exposed to so. many. short stories in college that I wanted to write those. And here we are. XD Great that we both got to try out the other type of fiction though!

Ah, that sounds awesome. I'm not a big history buff but I do appreciate good stories that come out of it, and I'm assuming you're enjoying it all the more because of the historical aspect. It's nice for a game to embody that within its story. :)

No problem! Thank you for writing such awesome chapters to review! :p
    XD If anything, that's partly the reason why I'm sticking to one-shots right now. I don't think I have the energy to maintain a chaptered fic anymore like you do, which is why I focus all my attention to creating one-shots right now. Granted, I'd love to write another chaptered fic down the line, but that won't be in a long while. Haha.

Ah, haha. Must be another Warriors game then. How is it? Like, what makes you keep playing?
    XD It's a minor issue of course, but you're right in saying that it shouldn't impede anything.

I likewise had to google Dynasty Warriors, and it looks really cool. Been around a while too. Is this the other half of Hyrule Warriors?

Aaaaand happy new year!
    Yeah, and unless we get another writer who's into the same fragmented stuff I think it's gonna be my one flaw come story reveals when I participate in future Yuletides. Either that or I write in traditional form for Yuletide but meh. :p I'm glad it worked out for both of us, then!

Yep, sent it on the night of 26th, then I rewarded myself by playing hours of Splatoon after since I was finally on holiday. XD And yeah, it's my first time participating and I can definitely see how awesome it is. I hope your holidays are great too! :D
    Heh, I knew you'd figure it out pretty easily :p I'm really glad you liked it! Being the procrastinator I am, I put it off until December, with anything I wrote before December being scrapped then. December turned out to be the busiest month at work so that was fun. But in the end, I couldn't pass out the opportunity to thank you for your reviews—and of course I wouldn't give up the chance to write about Team Magma and Team Aqua. :D

Christmas was great even if I had a massive deadline the day after, and my Yuletide fic made it all the better. But I'm really glad it brightened up yours! It really means a lot. :)
    Ohh! That's so lovely to hear! I'm glad I could give you a boost and, of course, very excited to see there'll be an update soon.
    Eh, we had plenty of Rocket fics. (Stupid overrated G1...) I'm just as sad as you are Magma and Aqua got zilch. ;_;

(Though considering we had a Hoenn contest last year it makes sense, in a twisted way, but still.)
    Eh, we had plenty of Rocket fics. (Stupid overrated G1...) I'm just as sad as you are Magma and Aqua got zilch.
    Hey, sorry you weren't able to make the contest; I know you would have written an awesome entry about Magma/Aqua.

-Hugs tightly-
    Awww yiss, always all about the pokemon. It sounds like you actually joined pretty much right after I left. I've heard things have really gone downhill since they sold the company (twice?) and started pulling things like firing the moderating staff earlier this year. At this point I'm pretty sure the site is mostly used by twenty-somethings hanging around out of nostalgia and wanting to keep in touch with the friends they've made there.

Yeah, I've used Negrek ever since I started out on the internet. Which was... pretty much on Neopets, actually. Heh, for most of the time I was active there my family had dial-up, so I wasn't able to play the flash games or do restocking, hence my always being poor and unable to get any of the cool gaming trophies. Thanks for the compliment on the ones I do have, though! I wrote "Legends of Neopia: Techo Mountain" and "The League of the Chocolate Ghostkersword Devoted".
    And yeah, if you're interested in how people pick up and learn languages there's nothing better than hearing a bilingual-raised kid picking it up. They usually think up all kinds of interesting ways to mix one into the other until they learn to separate them, and the order in which they start making sense of things is a great way to figure out how people make sense of languages in general which you can't really get with adult speakers in the same way since they're more self-conscious and don't speak it out loud the way kids do. Plus, it's usually adorable in its own right which is always a plus. I did about a year of volunteer work at a bilingual daycare center as part of my high school curriculum and there was actually a lot of interesting language-stuff in there in retrospect.
    Yeah, there are definitely people with talent for this sort of thing too. I actually have a friend who has an incredible ear for pronunciation, so if you give her enough native people to listen to she can talk and sound like a native even when she doesn't fully understand the grammar behind it, and that's a skill I doubt I could ever pick up no matter what my education was like. For what it's worth though, surrounding yourself with native speakers of a language is a great way to learn it, as long as you are actually speaking with each other in their language, because it will give you constant practice and also constant examples of how the language is actually used rather than what the formal rules for it are.

Based off what I've gotten out of linguistics professors so far, the main issue with learning languages as you get older is that your range of distinct sounds starts becoming fixed as you get older, which makes it hard to catch pronounced sounds that aren't part of your native language(s) and to make them yourself. To give a halting analogy of it, it's a bit like having a blindspot in your range of colors where you can be told that there's something in-between say yellow and blue, but you'd see green and think it's either a shade of blue or a shade of yellow rather than a distinct color in its own right. Except, y'know, with sounds.

Chinese is a tough one for sure, both for its grammar and the writing system. It's one of those languages that are a huge uphill for me because intonation follows a very steady, regular rhythm in Finnish, so trying to wrap my head around intonation changing the entire meaning of the words you speak is kinda tricky for me. It looks like a really interesting language to learn though, so good luck with it.
    Aww, nice! All about the pokemon even on Neopets, huh? :p And dang, you have some of those new pet thingies. Back in my day we were still all excited about boris and such!

My usernam's negrek, nothing new there.
    Oh, they are for sure. There's a bit of crossover on a surface level because of culture contact, but the entire grammar setup of Finnish is quite different from just about any other language I've ever heard (Hungarian has something a bit like it supposedly). Fortunately, I learned both at a very young age before I could really appreciate the differences, so flipping from one to the other is something I can do without even really thinking about it. It's definitely something that gets harder with age, though. I started picking up English in lower elementary so it still comes naturally enough, but my German and French are nowhere close to that level, even though I only started on those a few years afterwards and German should technically be easy since I already have a good grasp of two Germanic languages. I've also known a bunch of other Finnish people who've had huge issues trying to wrap their heads around Swedish and English, and it's generally the ones who got a single-language early education. There's just something instinctual to things you learn when you're really really little I suppose.
    To answer your question from the Fanfic Inspirations thread, I'm Finnish/Swedish bilingual by mother tongue. Finnish is technically my first, but I've been using both for as long as I can remember so effectively they're equal aside from some weird splits in specialized vocabulary where the words come easily in one language but not in the other. Though since so many of my friends are English-speakers, English, Finnish, and Swedish all come to me about as easily in most cases.
    Hi there! This is your official deadline warning! You currently have twenty-four hours to finish your next chapter. Good luck!
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…