• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii.net Forums

Power Up
Power Up
There's barely any consideration of how Ash feels at all in his final match. It's literally just an Alain fest.
Power Up
Power Up
There's just nothing there. The writing here just flops considerably.
Power Up
Power Up
And what does it lead to? Ash's loss here. Honestly, now looking back at it, considering how episodes 36-38 are characterized, I can't believe I didn't see it before.
Power Up
Power Up
The writing that came to this absolutely horrendous conclusion honestly is the biggest black mark on this series, bar none.
Pokegirl Fan~
Pokegirl Fan~
I think the Sinnoh League was probably the best written league, except for maybe the Tobias match, for the Pokemon anime's standards.
keepitsimple
keepitsimple
i.... was not expecting to read all of this from you :p
Power Up
Power Up
Bad writing is bad writing. I always knew this was done badly, but couldn't believe it was done that badly. Very unfortunate. Episodes 36-38 are just incredibly disappointing and full of lost potential
Power Up
Power Up
This was honestly the only time I felt this way after my entire rewatch thus far of XY/XYZ
mehmeh1
mehmeh1
I've gotta admit it was disappointing to not have Ash himself acknowledge how far he's come this time(same for the SM finals), and while I enjoy the overall Ash-Alain dynamic (especially considering the TF arc), their rivalry wasn't as good. I do find it quite interesting that they had the league focus so much on Alain while the TF arc focused so much on Ash, when they're each other's stories' conclusion.
mehmeh1
mehmeh1
Now that I think of it there wasn't all that much direct character writing as a whole during the league finals aside from Alain reaffirming his motivation, though I guess that can be explained as a representation of just how immersed into the battle they both were.
mehmeh1
mehmeh1
I see XY as "how Ash affects Kalos and everyone around him", and while the TF arc is what fully concludes that, I feel like the league finals does segway well into that by showing how he made someone as stoic as Alain actually have fun.
Also tbh I don't see why you're lumping 36 onto it, seeing as it's mostly TF arc setup plus it had some interesting interactions like Ash meeting Lysandre
Power Up
Power Up
Even just connecting the Furfrou trainer back to the final would have drastically helped. But there's nothing there. The Ash-Alain dynamic is entertaining and fun, but yeah, he's a better character than actual rival
Power Up
Power Up
I don't understand the latter part much either. It just doesn't make sense on a narrative level as to why it was " flipped " like that on the level it was.
Power Up
Power Up
That reaffirming of motivation is actually vitally important because it adds much more personal stake to the battle. Ash had absolutely nothing from his side. It's like he's much more of an empty husk here. The writers not giving him something to fight for in contrast with Alain is just a major misstep imo
mehmeh1
mehmeh1
One part I did use to get frustrated by was Ash's nonchalant reaction to losing, it felt less like good sportsmanship and more like he didn't care that much that he was so close. What vindicated that for me was, of all things, his reaction to beating Gladion. His absolutely dumbfounded look pretty much confirmed that by then he had gotten so used to losing at the league that he was no longer really affected by it.
Power Up
Power Up
Ash playing a major role in the TF arc was necessary and important to his overall character in in XY for sure as the theme you highlighted is very real on how Ash is characterized. But unfortunately, I think it does some detriment to his character in how they decided to go about it
Power Up
Power Up
AG and Ash were tied in the who TF/Kalos fiasco from the beginning as predicted by Olympia and the narrative conclusion of that is important to the overall structure of XY/XYZ
mehmeh1
mehmeh1
I get the flip for Ash during the TF arc as it culminating how he influences the Kalos region (plus some irony in that he loses at the league yet proves to be pretty much the leader of the whole thing), but yeah, on the narrative of the KL I don't get all that much why Ash was so overshadowed
Power Up
Power Up
As for why I'm lumping 36 into it, it's an episode that once again, should have been also been more used to build Ash's character up as he goes into the final and contrasting his approach moreso with Alain. The info the put in for the TF arc is good, but it's also just once again skewed in Alain's favor in how its being characterized in the episode. So much Manon.
Power Up
Power Up
As far as the reaction goes, I don't mind it as much as I used to personally. I would have liked more emotion from him.