• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Serebii.net Forums

matt0044
matt0044
So am I expected to, from those handful of examples you provide, automatically assume that all of FUNimation's (modern) dubs have this "agenda pushing" problem? From lines that are in a single scene in a single episode out of, what, ten to thirteen?
matt0044
matt0044
Have you seen these dubs for their overall quality?

Have you seen any other dubs from the past half decade alone?

Now... mistakes were made. I'm not trying to downplay this. However, I just cannot for the life of me see this as anything other that grasping for straws. This lacks... way too much perspective. dude. You are smarter than this.
matt0044
matt0044
Also... "agenda pushing?" Those lines are barely ten seconds long. What's to push aside from a bad joke that made me roll my eyes?
Kutie Pie
Kutie Pie
I do still watch dubs, and not all of them are like that, it depends on who the scriptwriter is, and they typically are done in what I consider B-list dubs (the ecchi titles, typically). They can't do anything to their A-list (like Toei anime), although their physical media quality of those titles has always been criticized by fans.
Kutie Pie
Kutie Pie
I expect dub companies to not treat their target audience and the final production like garbage with crappy throwaway lines that disrespect the original Japanese script. We got on 4KIDS and Saban for this, although we know NOW why they did it back then. In the present day of streaming (that has little to no moral guardians), why should we overlook it in the modern day?
Kutie Pie
Kutie Pie
Leave the throwaway opinionated lines and attempts at original jokes to the fans making abridged series and such. Japanese creators (Toei) may be behind the curve on that, but at least it's not being done by the distributors mooning and pelting anime fans with insults in an official dub. Is that too much to ask?
Kutie Pie
Kutie Pie
Basically, I don't want politics or present-day social commentary of any kind in the anime I watch unless it's specifically an anime that deals with politics--and it's going to usually be about Japanese politics unless stated otherwise. And politics outside of Japan usually get criticized and/or mocked.
Kutie Pie
Kutie Pie
Ghost Stories is the exception since they went out of their way to be purposefully offensive with dated mid-2000s commentary where everyone shat on Bush anyway--but they still never assumed the viewer's politics or insulted them with petty name-calling. This is the golden rule: treat others how you want to be treated. Some folks at FUNimation (and other places) can't get that through their thick skulls.
matt0044
matt0044
Again. Aside from those fringe examples, what else?
matt0044
matt0044
"but they still never assumed the viewer's politics or insulted them with petty name-calling." You... didn't watch Ghost Stories, did you? I mean, Momoko is nothing but a Republican punching bag in the dub. They never talk smack about Democrats.
matt0044
matt0044
Now, by insulting fans, I'm going to assume you're referring to Hajimete No Gal's scene in Episode Seven where a sleazy manager is called out on his perversion. Except... that's kind of what happened in the original. Now granted, the whole "SJW" buzzwords sprinkled in wasn't in good taste... but neither was the overall Anime.
matt0044
matt0044
This is a Harem-Ecchi comedy that features the main character trying to get with a girl because she looks like a slut and simply wants that "sweet, sweet ass." On top of that, his Otaku BFFs are each unapologetic in their perversion with Minoru being an out and out pedophile. This show is punching down on Otaku as the butt of their jokes.
matt0044
matt0044
Now as to the politics inserted into the show... I've seen worse. I mean, the most you get is this one mention of "patriarchal" in Dragon Maid in this ten second scene. Nothing more, nothing less. It's jarring but I cannot see the deal breaking aspect to it when compared to the overall dub's quality.
matt0044
matt0044
Hell, the whole "Gamergate" thing was a tasteless joke in a tasteless Anime. Did you even watch Prison School? It's whack enough already.

Overall, you're really being intellectually dishonest with me. You haven't even answered my questions.
Kutie Pie
Kutie Pie
I know Ghost Stories didn't talk smack about Democrats because everyone on that show is Democrat, but they never aimed the jokes at their audience, just at each other. I am answering the questions, but you're tiptoeing around them and excusing the changes to Japanese script as not being disrespectful so we're just going around in circles. So whatever.
Kutie Pie
Kutie Pie
Also the 420 character limit to profile comments is the worst. Just bleh.
matt0044
matt0044
I'm not "excusing" anything. I think those lines should've been left on the cutting room floor. Rather, I'm trying to have some perspective here. Are these examples really indicative of modern translation practices? Or are they just more of the same polarizing aspects of adapting Anime into the English language but with the whole "don't make it political" crowd stirring the pot?