• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~¤Recollecting Rainbows¤~ (A more-than-one-shot)

lilbluecorsola

Binky-boo! <3
~¤Recollecting Rainbows¤~ (A more-than-one-shot)

(I'm really sorry for trying to cheat the swear filter, but I honestly feel the story isn't the same without the swears. If this is majorly against the rules please let me know.)

This was originally supposed to be a sidestory of Chasing Rainbows, but since I know I'll never finish a complete chaptered Fanfiction, I decided to write it like this instead. I really, really like this story, so I wanted to at least post this, if nothing else.

More parts will be coming. There will probably be at least three in total, and storywise will be in reverse chronological order, since all except Part I were intended to be flashbacks.

So here's Part I. <3

I.

Today a stranger stood in front of the Ketchum household. Well, not a stranger exactly, but he was strange in that his appearance didn’t fit in at all with the austere rustic scenery around him. Flaming red hair, a grand cloak, and eyes of brilliant gold gave him the air of a champion. But there was no way a person of his standard would come to visit this small house in a place like Pallet Town, the people thought, and so they passed on by. Small children stopped and stared, and whispered amongst themselves, but they all thought it was just some weirdo dressing up. It couldn’t be Lance. Not the Lance, head of the Elite Four, champion of two entire regions; Kanto and Johto. Naw, couldn’t be him.

So the dubbed stranger stood alone on the steps of the porch, staring at the charming front door and windows, the roses in the garden, and the little white picket fence. The calm, surreal world almost seemed to push him away, as if it sensed he didn’t quite belong in this kind of place.

He knocked on the charming front door.

“Can I help you?”

He started, and turned around to see a fair-haired young woman with a beautiful face, holding a basket of flowers in her hands. She smiled apologetically. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you. There’s no one home right now, so I thought I should tell you.”

The man stared at her. “Hannah.”

“Excuse me?” The look he was giving her made her slightly uncomfortable. Who was Hannah?

He did a double take, examining her appearance again more closely, and shook his head. “I’m sorry. It’s nothing. Please forget about it.” He started walking, his cloak fluttering as he brushed past her. The girl turned and looked at the solemn figure carrying itself away from the house, clearly intent on never coming back. Her eyes lit up with realization.

“My mother’s name was Hannah,” she called, and he hesitated. “Did you know her?”

He turned, slowly. “You’re speaking in past tense,” he noted delicately.

“Yes. I’m sorry. Did you not know? She’s been dead for fifteen years.”

“No, I wasn’t aware of that.” He paused, searching for words he consequently suppressed. “I’m sorry for your loss.”

“It’s all right.” She smiled softly, realizing he was more in need of comfort than she. “I was actually on my way to visit her grave now. You can come if you’d like.”

He nodded, and trailed behind her as she continued on her way towards the edge of town, where the cliffs overlooked an ocean spreading endlessly towards the south. Far off in the distance, a dark haze indicated where Cinnabar Island lay.

The girl knelt in front of the grave marker, placing the flowers on the dark earth. The man stood aside, gazing at the haze in the distance as she spoke ordinary words of conversation he didn’t care to listen to. It wasn’t until long after she’d gone that he noticed her absence, and the fact she’d left the basket with a lone blossom still in it. For a moment, he hesitated. But there was no one watching, unless you counted spirits. So he took the flower and knelt before the stone, laying the bloom gently across. He tried to think of something to say, but despite being alone and confronted with recollections of the past, he couldn’t allow any words to escape his lips.

Hours later, Professor Oak trudged up the hill to find the man still there, his back resting against the stone as he still stared into the distance at the mist gathering on the sea. He stood immediately upon seeing the old man approaching, an expression of fear or panic revealing itself on his face for an instant. Then he quickly gathered himself and resumed formalities. “Professor,” he nodded in respectful acknowledgment.

The senior returned the stoic greeting. “Lance.”

There followed a minute of strained silence. At last the professor made a movement, towards the grave. As he passed, Lance noticed flowers in his aged hands. Was that his reason for coming here? Or an excuse?

“I’ll be leaving then,” he muttered, starting down the path. He knew he could just call out Dragonite to FLY him to wherever he wanted to go, but he felt that, like himself, a great dragon Pokémon would appear too impressive for this scene. Also he might feel sick if he tried to fly anyway.

“Are you going to talk to Delia?”

He stopped, though neither of them turned to look at the other. “She’s not home, right? I don’t see how I can talk to her without seeing her.”

“Then stay. Or come back another time. Or go and look for her. It’s been fifteen years, damnit. Why didn’t you come back?”

Lance whirled around, fists clenched as his tone rose in anger. “What about Hannah? Why didn’t anyone tell me she died too? I would have come had I known…”

The elder slowly rose to his feet, gazing at the boy, the champion, the stranger. “In all this time, why didn’t you come back? You could have seen for yourself how she was.”

Lance wanted to yell something defiant, like a child. But he wasn’t a child. Children were forgiven for their mistakes. And he didn’t want to be forgiven.

The professor’s ancient hand came to rest on the boy’s shoulder. “It’s the way this town works. We don’t talk about things that happen outside our own world. Maybe it was too long ago – too late for you to understand.”

Lance didn’t say anything.

“At least talk to Delia. She’s been wanting to see you.”

“Sorry. It’s too late.”

“You’re a bastar d.”

“I know.”

Later, as he was leaving town on foot, Lance spotted the girl from earlier at the bottom of the hill where the Professor’s Laboratory resided. She was with a teenage boy with brown hair, and they were apparently having an argument.

“What do you mean you’ve never gone to visit her? Go today! I’m sure she wants to see you.”

“I don’t want to.”

“Come on, don’t be so stubborn.”

“Shut up! It’s my birthday too, you know!”

“Gary, I-“

“Shut up. I know I’m a bastar d.”

With that, he ran up towards the lab. The slam of the door could be heard from where Lance and the girl were standing. She looked like she was about to cry, so he went to her without thinking. Remembering he was carrying her basket, he offered it to her lamely.

“Um, you forgot this.”

She wiped her eyes and took it from him. “Thanks,” she sniffed, clutching the basket close to her chest.

A thought struck the man as he glanced towards the Lab. “…That boy just now. Who was he?”

“Oh, that was my brother. Sorry you had to see-“

“How old is he?”

She paused, staring into the empty container in her hands for a while. Then she looked towards the building as well, above which the sky was turning red and orange, with pale pink clouds drifting off towards the sea.

“He’s fifteen,” she answered softly.

“I see. Thanks.” Suddenly, without warning, he started laughing. Or maybe he really wanted to cry, but his body wouldn’t let him. Because it didn’t seem right to cry in a place like this.

Not in a place like Pallet Town.

lilbluecorsola

Binky-boo! <3
II.

For the first time, Pallet Town felt like a stranger. The place itself hadn’t changed at all since his last visit, but a distance resigned itself to stay between him and the quiet buildings, which stared at him through empty windows, as if to say he wasn’t welcome anymore. He didn’t want to be here, but he felt like he was supposed to have come for some reason. He had forgotten what it was already. Perhaps he had wanted to explain what had happened. Or to ask forgiveness. Or maybe simply to say goodbye.

He started walking towards the houses, then veered right suddenly and took the path to the river, trying to remember. He stopped at the bank and stared at the water flowing past, burbling softly, like a child chasing after itself and laughing with the game he thought would never end. He had the feeling he was once that child, but now he’d escaped himself somehow. He couldn’t find the thing he was chasing anymore. The child had left him behind.

He looked across to the other side of the stream, at the emptiness that filled the spot there. This was where they’d used to fish together, him and- what was his name? He tried to remember, but couldn’t.

Turning his head, he noticed the bridge in the distance that spanned the water from edge to edge. He headed towards it. Instantly he found himself in the middle of it, gazing down at the water from above. This was where they’d met a traveling salesman, who showed them the wares he’d come to sell. He offered them one product free if they could correctly guess the answer to a question about Pokémon. He couldn’t remember what the question was, but he knew he hadn’t known the answer, which had come as a shock to him at the time, since he’d studied Pokémon intently in preparation for becoming a trainer. The other boy had guessed; he didn’t get it right either. Now that he thought about it, the question really didn’t have anything to do with Pokémon at all. It had been a strange problem, more like a riddle. After all these years he still didn’t know the answer. The man had never told them.

Instead, he had smiled and declared that they were both wrong, but then added that one of them had been close. Then he handed a Pokéball to the other boy, whose face lit up in surprise and delight at the gift. He remembered feeling insanely jealous, and tried to steal it from the boy countless times. They weren’t supposed to be given Pokéballs until they were ten years old and ready to begin their journeys. He would’ve expected the boy to try and capture a Pokémon with it before then, but looking back, he realized he’d never seen the boy take the ball out other than to look at it for a minute before changing the spot where he hid it, concealing it with care.

He reached into his pocket and took out the very same Pokéball. It still looked brand new, due to regular polishing. It was also empty. He stared at the metal object, thinking about its owner. The guy who was cheerful and confident, always looking on the bright side and never thinking ahead; whose constant hyperactivity often drove his best friend insane. His two greatest obsessions in life were Pokémon and his girlfriend. It was hard to determine which he loved more. In the end, he’d abandoned both at the same time.

Thinking of that, he glared at the sphere in his hand, tightening his grip. “What the hell, man?” he asked aloud, “What kind of guy goes off and leaves his girlfriend like this?” His hand trembled with rage, but he didn’t receive an answer. “Fine. Go to hell! I don’t care.” With that, he chucked the ball over the railing. It landed in the water, and immediately he felt his heart sink at the same moment. He ran to the spot where it had fell and waded towards the middle, but couldn’t discern anything in the current, which seemed to rush by him much faster than before. Once he thought he caught a glimpse of something shining in the water, but it turned out to be only a bottle cap.

A woman had been watching from the window since he’d entered the stream, and after a few minutes, during which her eyes never left him, she got up at last and went to the phone. She picked up the receiver and started to dial, then abruptly changed her mind and put it back down again. Glancing out the window again, she saw that rain was starting to come down. She went into the other room to check on a little girl, who was sleeping soundly in her bed, and gave her head a soothing pat before coming out again and closing the door. Taking an umbrella, she left the house and hurried towards the river, where the man was still standing. Over the sound of the lightly falling rain he didn’t hear her approach. As she did, she noticed he was wearing a bright red cloak, which dragged unimpressively in the water as he cast about desperately in search of something.

“Lance.”

His head jerked up and looked at her in surprise. She stood on the bank and gazed back at him, holding the umbrella above her head. They stayed like that for a while as the rain drizzled down, dousing his fiery red hair.

“Do you need help looking for something?”

He looked down at the water, where raindrops set about chains of ripples engaging each other. All he could see were dark circles, spreading and canceling each other out. He shook his head. “That’s okay.”

She nodded. “Then come inside,” she said. He obeyed and came out of the river, and they walked slowly back to the house together, sharing the umbrella. Once inside, she offered to take his cloak, but he flatly told her, “No. Thank you.”

“Okay,” she said quietly. “Do you want to sit down?” He followed her suggestion, and right away brought out a flask from under the cape. She watched as he took a long swig, but didn’t say anything at first. He didn’t stop.

“Lance,” she interrupted at last, “I think that’s enough. Aren’t you still underage?”

He stopped and looked at her, and he started to laugh uncontrollably. He had to laugh at that. “Hush,” she hissed, “Daisy’s sleeping.” His laughter subsided to giggles and then to silence. She frowned at him and crossed over to the other room, his eyes following her sullenly as she went in. The child was still sleeping where she’d left her, blissfully unaware of anything happening around her. The woman sat on the edge of the bed and placed a hand on the girl’s shoulder, smiling at the beautifully innocent face its owner wore.

A shadow fell in the doorway, and she looked to see him standing there, leaning against the frame. Somehow she expected to see the same naïve face she used to see on him as well, but his eyes were no longer the same. They were open and watching her, seeming sad and older. The flask dangled from his hand, which hung by his side as if his body was broken.

She got up and he moved aside to let her pass, shutting the door for her. They went and sat down, facing across from each other. He started to raise the flask to his lips again, but she moved quickly to take it away from him. He seemed surprised, but offered no resistance. He stared at her for a moment, as if about to say something. Then he looked away.

“Lance,” she tried, “Is there something you want to tell me?”

He shrugged. “You should probably know by now. It was on the news.”

“I know. I saw the news, but… I’m still having a hard time believing it.” She fingered the flask she still held in her hands. He still wasn’t looking at her.

“What else do you want me to say? It’s true, most of it. He’s not coming back anyway.”

“I see.”

Heavy silence filled the room. For some reason she wasn’t all that surprised that, during this time, he took out another flask and started drinking from that one. Nor did she try and stop him.

“You know, you can always come back home,” she mentioned softly after a while. “Or are you planning on keeping the title?”

He paused for a moment. “I don’t know,” he answered at last. Then he looked at the carpet. “I can’t stay here though.”

“Why not? You should stay, at least for Delia’s sake. I can’t imagine what must be going through her mind right now.”

He shook his head. She looked at the flask in her hands again. She hadn’t realized how tightly she had been holding it.

“He’s really not coming back, is he?” She could see her own reflection in the silver. Tears were beginning to form in her eyes.

He watched as she unscrewed the flask and took a sip. It was good stuff.

A few doors down, a young girl sat in her home, playing cards at the table. Every now and then she’d glance at the doorway, as if expecting someone to appear there. She knew no one would, but she waited anyway, holding one hand on her stomach all the while.

Last edited:

jirachiman876

The King of Kirby
I think I know what this is about now. ^^; I guess I had known it when I frst read the first part when you had it up but serebii was being stupid to me again and it wouldn't post to me. Serebii seems to be having a lot of problems lately.
Anyway, it's always great to read something of your blue. I miss your writing. You have everything in there. Great description like always and everything else just shines. I really like the way you portray Lance's thoughts and feelings, it's very well done. I hope to read more of it soon.
jirachiman out ;385;

lilbluecorsola

Binky-boo! <3
I think I know what this is about now. ^^; I guess I had known it when I frst read the first part when you had it up but serebii was being stupid to me again and it wouldn't post to me. Serebii seems to be having a lot of problems lately.
Anyway, it's always great to read something of your blue. I miss your writing. You have everything in there. Great description like always and everything else just shines. I really like the way you portray Lance's thoughts and feelings, it's very well done. I hope to read more of it soon.
jirachiman out ;385;

I know what you mean. Took me an hour just to be able to read your reply. DX

Thank you, I've missed writing and getting reviews as well. This part took a while since I didn't really want to write it aside from one scene. But I'm looking forward to doing the rest, so I hope to have more up soon. ^.~

Thank you for replying again. <3 *Supa Lolly*

jirachiman876

The King of Kirby
Only if you can get the chap up seeing how serebii has been acting up. I serisouly thought my review wasn't up cause it took so dang long to load. *takes lolly(almost put loli^^;)* I've missed your writing and I'm glad you've come back. You still on AIM by the way???
jirachiman out ;385;

lilbluecorsola

Binky-boo! <3
Only if you can get the chap up seeing how serebii has been acting up. I serisouly thought my review wasn't up cause it took so dang long to load. *takes lolly(almost put loli^^;)* I've missed your writing and I'm glad you've come back. You still on AIM by the way???
jirachiman out ;385;

Ooh, I used to spell it Loli too. Whatever works. <3

Um, I've never been on AIM. ^^;

I might not have time to work on the story this week. (Gr, stupid schoolwork.) Hopefully I can get started on the next part this weekend. <3