• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

新年快樂, Happy Chinese New Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Panda

恭喜發財
The Chinese is correct. It's just that google translate is totally retarded and does not accommodate for differing syntaxes. As for what it should translate to, it (approximately) means "Fuck you, and if its American, its crap". Chinese swearing is a whole new world... the two MAIN curses in Cantonese (and as a product of that, the chinese both Mandarin and Cantonese spoken by young Australian Chinese) are "puk gai/仆街" literally means "go fall over in the street", but in colloquial context "Fuck you", and the other is "ham ga chan/咸家鏟" which means "may your whole family be dead". There are of course a whole list of sexual swear words, but those are (from my experience at least) the most common ones. Also, when insulting a white person, you call them "gwailo/鬼佬", meaning foreign devil (or as some people translate it, foreign ghost, a reference to skin colour. White is the colour of death). It's basically the azn word for "infidel". For the record, I forgot to put that in (I just said "you").

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
Well I got a few red packets, and my family ate some traditional pastries, but otherwise, my New Year looks pretty bland compared with all the festivities in Chinatown.

Half of the Cantonese language/dialect is colloquial these days. And about a quarter of the colloquialisms are insults.

Also, when insulting a white person, you call them "gwailo/鬼佬", meaning foreign devil (or as some people translate it, foreign ghost, a reference to skin colour. White is the colour of death).

There's also 'black ghost' for black people as well, though it's less commonly used.

Miss_Pocket_Monster

We had some New Year festivities in my Medieval China class yesterday. It was so much fun! What animal rules this month, outta curiosity?

I enjoyed reading about Emperor Wu; he sounded pretty righteous, especially the way he kept the Xiongnu at bay. But it sounded like there was quite a bit of corruption in the Han government, and I felt sorry for all the peasants who couldn't afford to live and had to surrender their land to the great families.

(All apologies if that bored anybody, but I'm a history nut.)

Anywho, tell me more about the festivities! They sound so awesome :).

Also teach me the language; Asian languages are really fun and complex. ;munchlax;

~Magic Thunderbolt~

Well I got a few red packets, and my family ate some traditional pastries, but otherwise, my New Year looks pretty bland compared with all the festivities in Chinatown.

Half of the Cantonese language/dialect is colloquial these days. And about a quarter of the colloquialisms are insults.

There's also 'black ghost' for black people as well, though it's less commonly used.

Yeah, Chinatown was pretty wild here too.

S31R31

The 90's
I'm now eating, the very sticky, Chinese New Year cake. <with fried eggs of course!>

S31R31

The 90's
^ do you like those "flavored" cakes? I prefer the err... default.

S31R31

The 90's
What makes them sticky though I wonder?

Mime1020

Heart Gold =)
Happy Chinese New Year! Enjoy the cake and food!(i know i am)

Pearl's Perap

Happy Chinese New Year, I don't really know all that much about the celebrations, but I'm sure they're great :]

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Oh yeah, I LOVE niangao. I was too busy this year to make my own unfortunately (but the Chinese bakeries where I live are fantastic anyway). I prefer mooncakes to new year cakes however, although mooncakes are so heavy and thick we used to call them "depleted uranium cakes". Oh and Shadowkami, it's way more than four years. The "rhyme" chinese kids always have to learn is: Shu-niu-hu-tu, long-she-ma-yang, hou-ji-gou-zhu. Or the cantonese equivalent. Anyway "niu" means ox, and "gou" dog, and hence there are some nine more years for the dog to come.

I wish the city council allowed firecrackers for C.N.Y.; I spent the new year in Shanghai a few years ago and they were so fun.

riolulu

<riolulu_sppf.exe>
Damn, I didn't even know about it until I got online and everyone was going crazy. ;_; that's a bad sign, isn't it?

Well happy Chinese New Year to you all!!

EDIT: rank uppp!

~riolulu

Status
Not open for further replies.