• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

10,000 Day Eulogy

Big Beluga

u r a fatty
rightintool_bkgd_02.png

10,000 Day Eulogy

'Some say the end is near, Some say we'll see armageddon soon, I certainly hope we will...'Aenema, Tool

Shanesymbolthingything2.png

Intolerant Introduction

Before I go over the actual team, I'd like to take this time to shed some light on what I believe to be one of the most overall talented bands out there, Tool. Often underrated, Tool actually was and is one of the most innovative bands for the Metal genre. Their blend of dark underground metal and art rock has brought something to the table that has never been seen before. This is probably why me, along with many others, continue to be intrigued by each and every song of their's. Although Tool is more of an 'underground' type of band, they are certainly no slouch in the public eye. With 7 total Grammy nominations, spanning across 10 years, Tool has been thrilling all kinds of listeners throughout their existence. So far Tool has officially released four albums consisting of Undertow, Ænema, Lateralus, and 10,000 days, If you're an avid fan of all kinds of rock music, I highly encourage you to look into each album and find a song that you like, as I firmly believe that with Tool's amazing range of versatility, there is atleast one song appealing to everyone.

Anyways, enough ranting, now onto the actual Intro. First off, just to make things clear, this team has no real laddering achievements, as I personally feel there is no substantial merit to it at the moment. Both shoddy amd PO OU ladders have been scarce of 'competition' as we all know, so I'd rather not bother with that. In fact, I've really only used this team for random PO tourney's and random battles with close, yet still very challenging, friends. Nonetheless, I still feel this is my best team to date, and has definitely been the most enjoyable to use. It took me a while, with many tests/changes throughout the process, but as previously stated I'm very happy with the outcome. Those changes, along with the selection process of the current team, will be thoroughly covered in the Team Building Process below. Feel free to skip straight to the team summary.

Team Building Process

With the banning of Latias and Salamence, there were numerous metagame changes, and like most people, I wanted to take advantage of this. Heatran took the number one spot in OU, as Scizor slightly fell. Countless people took notice and started using things like DD Tyranitar and Kingdra. This in turn sparked the use of specific checks, like Scarf Flygon. Using this information, I wanted to use a poke which was as anti-metagame as possible, while still retaining a sort of 'surprise' factor. Aftrer going through an abundance of pokes like Superachi, Sub CM Suicune, and even CM Mismagius, I finally stumbled upon the perfect set. Tyranitar always seemed to lure in the same mon's now and days, Flygon, Swampert, Hippowdon, etc. What better thing to do than use a set that could eventually beat almost all of it's common 'counters'? Cue Cursetar.

248.png

Next, I wanted the perfect partner for Tar. One that could not only check Tar's counters, but at the same time, set-up on them. I tested out Sub Roost Zapdos, CM Wish Rachi, SD Gliscor, and Resttalk Gyarados, but in the end it simply came down to Gyara filling that spot best. He can follow the style of play set by CurseTar by playing defensively early game, while still retaining the ability to set-up on most of Tar's counters and sweep late game.

130.png
248.png

I looked at my bulky sweepers and try'd thinking of Mon's that could give me trouble. I also wanted the third poke to contribute to helping a CurseTar sweep in some way. Eventually, Scarf Magnezone was chosen. Zone could trap pokes like Skarmory, Jirachi, and Lucario, as well as provide some key resistances and an already fairly reliable revenge killer. After testing the final team for quite some time, this spot was inevitably taken over by by Scarf Magneton. Spike-stacking teams coupled with LO Starmie could decimate my team as I had no Mon's faster than it, and Tar was a very risky switch-in. Magneton's extra base 10 speed allowed me to outspeed and KO Starmie, in addition to DD Tyranitar, and some Gyarados's/Dragonite's.

082.png
130.png
248.png

Magneton and Tyranitar shared some common weaknesses, so more padding against Ground and Fighting-type attacks seemed logical. The team would also appreciate some speed and immediate offensive power. In the end, it basically came down to Rotom-A or Gengar. Gengar could help against Infernape, Lucario, and Gliscor more so than a Scarfless Rotom, so Gar was in.

094.png
082.png
130.png
248.png

I thought I had a pretty good base for a team, so it was time to dedicate a spot to patching up some weaknesses while continually supporting a Tar sweep. Various physical based pokes like Gyara, Tyranitar, and Dragonite could have their way with me. On top of that, I realized that the defensive nature of my team really appreciated added residual damage in the form of entry hazards. This would help wear down offensive, balanced, and stall team alike. With that line of thinking, the poke for the job was kinda obvious. Skarmory could wall Gyara and Tar to no end, and gave me a key dragon resist. It could also lay down crucial spikes for the team, while simultaneously using its pHazing abilities to wear down opposing teams, and support my own.

227.png
094.png
082.png
130.png
248.png

Ok so one spot left. The team seemed pretty solid, but there was still some glaring weaknesses along with slight rough area's that needed to be patched up. Bulky Waters could be a major pain, especially Suicune. An added way to beat Gliscor couldn't hurt, and a simple SkarmBliss had the ability to easily wear me down. After many more tests, a Bulky Shaymin set proved to be the perfect fit. Leech Seed + Seed Flare + HP Fire could help a lot in weakening numerous defensive cores, and Shaymin obviously helped with Waters/Gliscor.

227.png
094.png
082.png
130.png
248.png
ShayminMDpic.png

So once I had the final product, I did what I do with all my teams and selected a lead. I feel it's a waste of time to dedicate a whole slot to making sure you lead does good against other leads. A lot of times players who worry too much about the lead position end up with a great 'anti-lead', but not a lead that still supports the flow for the rest of the team. Taking that into consideration, I liked how the team looked, so I just chose whoever I believed functioned in the lead spot best. Skarmory could deal with common leads like Forretress, Swampert(lol), and Metagross, while early spikes would help immensely. Skarm was in.

That team worked well for the most part, but I felt like I may still be able to make it better. For one, lacking Stealth Rock proved to be very annoying at best. Secondly, Magneton was very underwhelming in both the bulk department, and not helping too much outside the occasional Skarmory/Scizor trap. Soon after, Magneton was finally replaced with Scarf Heatran. Tan managed to check the same things Magneton did, help more against Shaymin, and provide SR. Now ironically this adding Tran made me a bit more weak to certain steels, but I feel the Pro's outweight the Con's. And with that, the team was finished.

227.png
094.png
485.png
130.png
248.png
ShayminMDpic.png

The Pot: Team Analysis

CrystalSkarmpic.gif

Skarmory (Wing's Of Marie) @Leftovers
248 HP/ 232 Def/ 24 Spe
Impish
• Brave Bird
• Roost
• Spikes
• Whirlwind

Set Analysis: Like I said in the Team Building section, Skarmory is only in the lead position because it functions better as a lead than the rest of my team. It's main job, on the other hand, is fairly simple. Skarm acts as my primary check to physical threats, namely Gyarados, Tyranitar, and Dragonite lacking Fire Blast or Flamethrower. Because of this, I basically have to run Brave Bird. Without it I'd automatically lose lose to Taunt Gyara, especially Bounce variants. I do sometimes miss the ability to stop opposing Metagross, Forry, and Swampert from setting up early hazards with Taunt, but so far BB hasn't failed me. Skarm's importance isn't limited to walling **** though. The early Spikes provided by the little steel bird kickstart the stallish style of the team. Once a couple layers are down, I can start to build up damage over time through constant pHazing, sandstorm, and a little pinch of offensive pressure. Some of CurseTar's primary checks like Pert, Gross, Rachi, Lucario, CB Scizor, and Machamp are easily worn down by Spikes, so it has proven to be invaluable. Othe than that, Skarm is nothing special. It does for my team basically what it does for everyone elses.

EVs and Additional Comments: Pretty standard Physical Wall Skarmory. I need almost max defense to counter the thing I need to, and also continually switch into physical threats. For example, you may notice that I don't have a rock resistance (which admittedly has bit me in the *** sometimes), but Skarm kinda makes up for it. Rock attacks are almost always physical, and the only poke I really need to worry about is CB Tyranitar, so the defense is mandatory to make sure I can keep switching into Skarm. 24 Speed EVs let me 'speedcreep' to beat most Leech Seed Breloom, and CB Tar's

CrystalGarpic.gif

Gengar (Cold And Ugly) @Life Orb
252 SpA/ 4 SpD/ 252 Spe
Timid
• Substitute
• Pain Split
• Shadow Ball
• Focus Blast

Set Analysis: What good would spikes and SR be without a spin blocker? Truthfully though, Gengar was chosen before either Skarmory or Heatran. In fact, being a spin blocker wasn't even on my mind. No, Gengar was picked for its great synergy with Tyranitar. It's immunity to Ground and Fighting attacks let it switch into many common Tar counters with near impunity. From there, Gar can either set-up a sub, or take them out entirely. Some of these pokes include Lucario, Machamp, Breloom, Gliscor, Hippowdon, and Infernape, all who can greatly trouble Tar. Gengar's immunities are not its only good traits though. Using the SubSplit set, Gar brings some much needed immediate offensive power and speed, which compliments my other slow, bulky set-uppers. This specific set also helps me deal with Stall easier, specifically SkarmBliss cores.

EVs and Additional Comments: On other teams that have opposing Gengars covered well, I've moved a little bit of EVs from both Speed and SpA to SpD to ensure Tinkerbell Celebi can't break a sub with a -2 HP Fire. This is not the case for this team, as I feel speed tieing with other SubSplit Gengars, and outspeeding HP Fire variants is way too important. So with that, this is just a standard sweeper set, with max speed and 252 SpA. Nothing really much to change, Gengar has done exactly what it was put on the team for.

485.gif

Heatran (Vicarious) @Choice Scarf
4 Atk/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Naive
• Fire Blast
• Earth Power
• Explosion
• Stealth Rock

Set Analysis: Magneton used to fill this spot, but so far Heatran has surpassed Magneton's usefulness. I do lose out on the rare Skarm trap, but taking into consideration that the steel I'm trying to take out may have shed shell, then Tran out does Magneton in virtually every way. Heatran can provide the ever so helpful Stealth Rock, outspeed threats Magneton couldn't, and is an overall better revenge killer. No other Tran set has been considered to be honest, as Scarf has helped the team stay together better than any other set could. It gives extra insurance against things like SD Lucario, Infernape, and various Dragon Dancers, all while retaining the bulk and excellent typing Tran's known for. Fire Blast and Earth Power make up the brunt of my offense, while Explosion is for when I'm low on health or need a last ditch KO.

EVs and Additional Comments: Naive is used to let Explosion do as much damage as possible. Other than that it's a standard ScarfTran with 252 Speed and SpA.

CrystalGyarapic.gif

Gyarados (Flood) @Leftovers
248 HP/ 196 Def/ 64 SpD
Careful
• Waterfall
• Dragon Dance/ Roar
• Rest
• Sleep Talk

Set Analysis: One of the best CurseTar out there if you ask me. Almost every poke that beats one is easily set-up on by the other. Breloom, Champ, Nape, Lucario, Physical Jirachi, or Metagross giving Tar trouble? Send in Gyara and get a couple DDs. Rotom, Zapdos, Most Electrics, or Vaporeon messing with Gyara? Easy Curses for Tar. Now this doesn't mean there are no exceptions to the 'perfect duo' rule. Skarmory, Roar Vappy, Shaymin, Offensive Cune, and the group of Dragon Dancers dismantle this core. But that's what the other four members are there for, right? Getting back on subject, Gyara is just running a simple Resttalk set, with Dragon Dance over Roar. I do run Roar sometimes when I feel my opponent will be using a team susceptible to constant pHazing and residual damage, but DD is the more common choice. It's hard to give up the ability to actually set up on Tar's counters. The defensive nature of the Resttalk set also helps a ton against the never ending battering of Lucarios, Infernapes, and Gengars.

EVs and Additional Comments: The moveset may be close to standard, but the EV spread and nature definitely aren't. Then again, there are so many different Resttalk Gyara spreads that it's hard to call any of them standard. I originally was using a simple 248/ 252 Impish spread, but a slight Gengar weakness emerged. I then came up with this spread to deal with Gar, and because you can never have enough enough Nape coverage. Careful and 64 SpD EVs guarantee that NP Nape can never OHKO with a +2 GK, as well as making sure Gengar can never 2HKO with Shadow Ball, even if the first SB gets a SpD drop.

CrystalTarpic.gif

Tyranitar (Right In Two) @Leftovers
252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 SpD
Careful
• Crunch
• Curse
• Rest
• Sleep Talk

Set Analysis: "So here we are, the star of the show". Ugh, I hate to use such a common opening line, but there really is no other way to describe Tyranitar's role, he's just a beast. One of the great things about CurseTar is that he isn't limited to Early/Mid/Late game. I use him throughout the match; Early and Mid as a status absorber/general counter to special threats, and Late game as a deadly last poke sweeper. Usually near the beginning of the match I switch into Mon's Tar handles with ease, and start spamming Crunches to help build up damage and scout CurseTar counters. From there I work to weaken these counters until a potential sweep opportunity arises. It's as simple as that.

Throughout the RMT, I've been mentioning how CurseTar can eventually beat its supposed counters, and it's true. Because Curse boosts both Attack and Defense, usual checks like Swampert, Hippowdon, Gliscor, Metagross, and Bronzong are not only dealt with, but potentially set-up on(with the exception of Gliscor, but once I get 2 Curses I 2HKO anyways). This does take some time though, and counters still exist. Skarmory can wall Tar the entire match, and most other Tar checks can still beat me if I don't have a Curse or two up. That's why it's so important to scout for and eliminate Tar's scarce but hard counters, but once this is done, it's pretty much good game.

EVs and Additional Comments: Careful, 252 SpD and 252 HP. Nothing fancy about it. Max SpD to get the most out of Tar's immense tanking abilities in Sand, and because I'm boosting Defense anyways. The additional comments are also pretty straight forward; I love this thing.

Spr_4p_492.png

Shaymin (Ticks & Leeches) @Leftovers
252 HP/ 84 Def/ 32 SpA/ 140 Spe
Timid
• Seed Flare
• HP [Fire]
• Leech Seed
• Rest

Set Analysis: There is a reason why Shaymin is last and Tar is not. Simply put, it's because Shaymin is more important to the team. This sounds kind of funny, even for me to say, because ya know, the team was based around CurseTar. It's entirely true though, I ain't lying! For starters, it's the Glue for the team. After the rest of the team was set, I needed a catch-all to the rest of my weaknesses, and Shaymin fit perfectly. Leech Seed helps me actually beat Blissey, while HP Fire deals with Skarm, almost alleviating my previous SkarmBliss troubles. Gliscor and Bulky Waters could also be a pain, and Shaymin outright beats both of them. The only problem is that I have to use a bulky set; The offensive set would be so fun with my spike support. This hasn't troubled me too much though. Seed Flare still hurts, especially with the potential SpD drop and entry hazards. The last moveslot was the only real thing I had trouble deciding on. I at first was using the standard Leech Seed set with Protect, but that was almost dead weight along with Sand damage. Then Aromatherapy was used to help compensate for my 2 Resttalkers, but I didn't like that either because I wasn't finding much time to use it, and Shaymin was still dying too early. Finally I used Rest, which greatly improved Shaymin's longevity, and in turn the effectiveness of the entire team.

EVs and Additional Comments: Like I said, I had many things to cover with one slot left, and the semi-complicated EV spread portrays that. Timid + 140 Spe EVs(4 more because of HP Fire) let Shaymin outspeed all Suicune and Adamant Lucario. 252 HP + 84 Def means I am never OHKOd by a +1 DD Tar, even when factoring in LO and SR. The whopping 32 remaining EVs are thrown into SpA to add an extra oomph. Phew, complicated but rewarding. I've tweaked this spread exactly to my liking, and it has served me well.

The Sober Conclusion

With the RMT nearly finished, I feel it may be best to help you help me. I'll end it with a list compiled of threats that often give me trouble, so that feedback on the team will be that much more easier to give. I may do a full threat list later, but for now it's only the main ones.

149.png
Dragonite - Mixed and Lead variants are easily played around, and are eventually stalled out by Gyarados. My main concern is Mixed DD Nite. EQ +Outrage is easily dealt with by Skarm, but when you thrown Fire Blast into the mix, my only real hope is revenging with Heatran. This is also a problem because if Dnite happens to be Jolly, im finished. This is probably the most prominant weakness, and the one I could use the most help on.

248.png
Tyranitar - Ironically yes, I'm weak to opposing Tyranitar. My only real switch-in to CB Tar is Skarm, and if Tar happens to be faster, I lose Skarm to 2 consecutive Stone Edges. DD Tar is also a problem. It may look like it's not with Skarm able to pHaze it away, but if DD Tar is a last poke standing I can't pHaze anymore. If that is the case, I need to use all my power to make sure it doesn't get 2 DD's. With 1, Shaymin and Heatran can deal with it. If it has anymore, I lose. Simple as that.

227.png
Skarmory - Skarm is a total **** to this team, especially SpD Taunt variants. It utterly walls both my set-up sweepers, isn't 2HKOd by Shaymin or Gengar, and beats my own Skarm due to Taunt. Sometimes when Shaymin or Gengar don't weaken it enough, my only real shot is Heatran. This is bad because Tran is scarfed, which mean's it's easily played around.​

Last edited:
Relax, just be patient I haven't got a rate either. I am not going to really rate your team because of my lack of OU knowledge. But here goes:

Dragnonite is a problem for you and can prove to be fatal without a good check
I don't know if this is good but, LO Starmie can generally take care of most of the threats you listed in Gyara's summary and Dragonite
tyranitar can be taken care of with Starmie too so that's why I recomended it
Skarmory is something I don't really see a good counter for it but Starmie can probably 2Hko or 3Hko it with thunderbolt

Starmie>Gyarados? (peoplz?)

Big Beluga

u r a fatty
Thanks for the rate man!

Ok, thanks for the suggestion, but no offense, Starmie wouldn't help with any of my problems outside of maybe Skarmory. Starmie can't switch into Mixed Nite and is outsped after a DD. The same thing apply's to Tyranitar; Can't switch in, and Starmie is outsped after a DD. Not only this, but replacing Gyara would get rid of a key check to Fighting types like Machamp, Lucario, and Breloom, which I need desperately. Thanks again, but I like the team how it is without Starmie atm.

xMetagrossx

Blaziking
I would recomend a Volt absorber or a Motor Drive poke on this team or at the very least a ground type. Electric attacks rape your team no offense and I think with there popularity you need a better counter then Shaymin. Electrivire or Jolteon works great as Electrivire gets the speed boost to sweep and Jolteon gets HP even though they add a ground weakness. Even a bulky Zapdos would work great here. It replace Gengar with it.

Edit:actually a Rotom form would be perfect here using TB, shadow ball, Wow and Painsplit. This will solve some of your counter trouble, provide some
staus, block rapid spin, and its resistant to thunder and immune to ground :) knew i was forgetting something

You only have 1 entry hazard and 2 pokes that do it so you really dnt need a Rapid spin blocker. As for synergy Gyarados is resistant to fighting and also Immune to ground so its not really a problem.

I think you should have a Toxic or status user since most of your pokes will be asleep and the last thing you want is to give away free turns.

Last edited:

AB2

cake cake cake cake
I would recomend a Volt absorber or a Motor Drive poke on this team or at the very least a ground type. Electric attacks rape your team no offense and I think with there popularity you need a better counter then Shaymin. Electrivire or Jolteon works great as Electrivire gets the speed boost to sweep and Jolteon gets HP even though they add a ground weakness. Even a bulky Zapdos would work great here. It replace Gengar with it.

Edit:actually a Rotom form would be perfect here using TB, shadow ball, Wow and Painsplit. This will solve some of your counter trouble, provide some
staus, block rapid spin, and its resistant to thunder and immune to ground :) knew i was forgetting something

You only have 1 entry hazard and 2 pokes that do it so you really dnt need a Rapid spin blocker. As for synergy Gyarados is resistant to fighting and also Immune to ground so its not really a problem.

I think you should have a Toxic or status user since most of your pokes will be asleep and the last thing you want is to give away free turns.

I don't understand how electric type pokemon do well against his team. Shaymin is a check to Rotom and some forms of Jolteon. Tyranitar also beats just about every electric type due to its high special defense. It is true that you could use a better spin blocker because forry OHKOs Gengar on the switch with payback and Rapid Spin LO Star obviously just does well against Gengar all together. If you run Scarf Rotom > Gengar and Special Defensive Heatran > your current one I think you will be fine as you just provided yourself with two extra gengar checks [heatran isn't KO'd by FB at full health]. Just something to think about I guess, gl xD!

xMetagrossx

Blaziking
^consider this a standard Jolteon has Thunderbolt, Shadow ball and HP Ice which hits 4 of his Pokes for super effective damage. Electrivire has Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, EQ, and Cross Chop which can also greatly damage 4 of his pokes. Just saying with the large number of electric types like Zapdos Raikou those dam Rotoms Magnezone and just the number of pokes with electric attacks its worth having a better counter then just a shaymin

AB2

cake cake cake cake
The thing is, Tyranitar takes on Raikou, Magnazone, Jolteon, and all formes of Rotom. Scarf Heatran can revenge kill evire and its damage output is not enough to take out very many pokes on his team.... So between Tyranitar setting up on most electric types and the only one that it can't is never seen and is not good anyways, I think he will be just fine.

GerbilGuy

Goodbye, Serebii
Crunch < Payback on TTar.

On Skarmory I'd use:

Skarmory@Lum Berry
Sturdy
252 HP/128 SpD/128 Speed
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost

You can change Whirlwind < Brave Bird in order to kill Machamps and give Gyara Roar, that's what I'd do.

Great team overall ;)

Big Beluga

u r a fatty

First of all, Zapdos doesn't resist Electric attacks, just so you know. Anyways, let me ask you a question, how does Blissey work? Yes, she has no resistances barring Ghost, but she still walls the hell out of most Special attackers. I guess my point is, why do I need an electric absorber when I have a full on counter to these electric-types with Tyranitar? For example, even Specs Jolteon can only muster 24.8% - 29.2%, which means most of the times it can't even 4HKO. If that's not a counter I don't know what is.

And for the Spin-blocker, I have 2 entry hazards, Spikes and SR, and that kinda does mean I need a spin-blocker lol. As stated in the RMT though, Gar wasn't originally chosen for that role, it just happened to work out that way.
I don't understand how electric type pokemon do well against his team. Shaymin is a check to Rotom and some forms of Jolteon. Tyranitar also beats just about every electric type due to its high special defense. It is true that you could use a better spin blocker because forry OHKOs Gengar on the switch with payback and Rapid Spin LO Star obviously just does well against Gengar all together. If you run Scarf Rotom > Gengar and Special Defensive Heatran > your current one I think you will be fine as you just provided yourself with two extra gengar checks [heatran isn't KO'd by FB at full health]. Just something to think about I guess, gl xD!

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah in the updated version of the team I've been running ScarfTom, as I think you know. I'd like some opinions on the set though...

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
116 HP/ 168 SpA/ 224 Spe
Timid
-Hydro Pump
-Thunderbolt
-Will-O-Wisp
-Trick

I've been using this, and it's been working pretty well. HP EVs guarantee I'm never OHKOd by Starmie HPump even after SR. 224 Speed EVs let me still outspeed everything except other ScarfToms. The rest is thrown into SpA.

Crunch < Payback on TTar.

On Skarmory I'd use:

Skarmory@Lum Berry
Sturdy
252 HP/128 SpD/128 Speed
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost

You can change Whirlwind < Brave Bird in order to kill Machamps and give Gyara Roar, that's what I'd do.

Great team overall ;)

Thanks, Guy. I seriously have been considering changing to a more Specially defensive Skarm set because SpD Skarm usually still beats CB Tar if it's fast enough. The only problem is that I take DD Tar on a lot worse. Also, I have switched to Taunt > BB. It's just been more handy, and with Rotom I don't need to worry about Taunt Bounce Gyara. Maybe a SpD Skarm set more tailor made for my team? Because I really don't know what the EVs on that set do :s
Beluga I will give you a rate eventually!

lol it's no problem, rate when you can. I'll probably be posting a updated version summary soon anyways.