• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

160,000 Nintendo accounts breached/hacked

nel3

Crimson Dragon
it seems like there was a breach of Ninendo of the Nintendo ID accounts in the number of 160,000 recently.

i didnt link my Nintendo account to a credit card of paypal as i used a gift card to load up the account. i only have $10 left on the account and it doesnt seem like its any loss of funds. there is no suspect purchases on my Nintendo account thankfully.

birth days, emails and areas/locations were acquired by the hackers. they've used the paypal to purchase stuff in fortnite and their V bucks among other different purchases. apparently credit cards werent accessed but i dont always trust what they say when carp like this happens.

i already changed my password for that but its probably an incident where some members here got affected. if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to place it in the proper area.

@wishihadamanifi5: ty for putting it in the proper subforum.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Yea I only use eshop cards myself there too. Don't envy anyone at this point who was affected by this.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
This is why I only use e-cards, Nintendo won't email you if you make a purchase like Microsoft does.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
I added 2-factor, even though mine wasn't hit.

2-Factor isn't that hard to manage.

My condolences to those hit.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
I added 2-factor, even though mine wasn't hit.

2-Factor isn't that hard to manage.

My condolences to those hit.
It isn't for people with access to cellphones. It's a good way to protect things when people have a working one, etc.. But when they don't, or if it's stolen, etc., it's not so good.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
It isn't for people with access to cellphones. It's a good way to protect things when people have a working one, etc.. But when they don't, or if it's stolen, etc., it's not so good.
Switch:$469 USD
Average Cheap Cell Phone Plan Cost:$40-$60 monthly USD
Average Cheap Smart Phone Cost$:50-$200 USD

What family can buy a Switch but not at least a cheap Smartphone?

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Switch:$469 USD
Average Cheap Cell Phone Plan Cost:$40-$60 monthly USD
Average Cheap Smart Phone Cost$:50-$200 USD

What family can buy a Switch but not at least a cheap Smartphone?
Bills. That might take priority. To replace it. They'd do the same with the Switch. Save up for it. Even if a phone is inexpensive, doesn't mean that people can always get it right away.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I mainly use eShop cards for my purchases. Occasionally gift cards for the more expensive games like Link’s Awakening.

Genos

TTYD
I did the 2FA before reports of hacking accounts began (like 4-5 days later). I can say that I consider myself lucky to enable it immediately.