1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

1st/2nd Gen Monotype Challenge Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Challenge Forum' started by bobandbill, Apr 30, 2011.

1. bobandbill

bobandbill Winning Smile Staff Member Super Mod

1st/2nd Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

Games in this gen: Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal

What is a Monotype Challenge?

A Monotype challenge is one in which you can only use Pokemon of a specific type to beat the game from start to finish (ie beating the champion and seeing the credits or in GSC beating Red and seeing credits the 2nd time around). For instance if you say try a Grass Monotype Challenge, you can only use Grass Type Pokemon found in the game.

Rules

• Please read the Challenge Forum rules before posting.
    • Pokemon are allowed to have two typings. For instance, Butterfree would be acceptable on both a flying team and a bug team.
    • Legendaries and traded Pokemon (not counting in-game trades or trades for evolution purposes only) are not allowed.
    • Note some types (like Dragon types typically) are not viable to use for such a challenge due to a lack of availability of them early in the game, or at all.
    • If you pick a starter that is not of your type, then it may not be used after you have obtained one Pokemon of your chosen type.
    • You may have Pokemon of another type in your team, but only as HM slaves - they may not be used in battles.
    • Post only on this thread to either state which type you are doing, your current progress or to ask for suggestions on which Pokemon to use.
    • If you wise to impose any other restrictions on yourself feel free to do so and mention them!

2. Lorde

Lorde Banned

I got to the Glitter Lighthouse in Olivine City and I headed for the summit to talk to Jasmine. I managed to reach Ampy's room eventually and I gave Jasmine the SecretPotion item so that she could heal it. Once that was done, she returned to the Olivine City Gym and I headed down as well. I headed out to the route north of Olivine City and I did some last-minute training there. I managed to make Quilava evolve into Typhlosion and I headed back to the Pokemon Center. I healed there and challenged Jasmine. Long story short, I beat her two Magnemite with Magmar and Growlithe and then her Steelix with Typhlosion. The Steelix battle was the toughest, but I managed to get the Mineral Badge as well as the TM for Iron Tail. I saved after that.

;157; - Lv. 36 Typhlosion
    ;058; - Lv. 33 Growlithe
    ;126; - Lv. 31 Magmar

3. celebimasters_93

celebimasters_93 Well-Known Member

Obtained totodile (not that it matters) headed through Cherrygrove to Mr.Pokemon and obtained the mystery egg. Went back through Cherrygrove and challenged rival and defeated him easily. Caught Bellsprout just before Violet City at lv.3. Entered Violet City and deposited totodile went through sprout tower and caught Gastly at lv.4 heh... lucky me..... Went and defeated Falkners Gym after grinding quite a bit. advanced through Union Cave to Azelea and defeated Team Rocket in Slowpoke Well. Getting to Bugsy and defeated him with ease... surprisingly.... and currently going through Ilex Forest with this team..

Gastly @lv.21
    Weepinbell@lv.24

will be posting on progress later after I accomplish a bit more into the challenge

4. Lorde

Lorde Banned

With my sixth Johto Badge in hand, I healed at the local Pokemon Center and then I headed back to Ecruteak City since I needed to take care of some stuff there and then head to Mahogany Town for my seventh Badge. I got to Moomoo Farm and I finished feeding the sick Miltank there. I then got to Ecruteak and did some stuff there. I headed on over to Mt. Mortar and I explored the caverns inside for a while. I trained there for about 30 minutes and then I headed to Mahogany Town. I healed at the Pokemon Center there and then I went north to Lake of Rage. I battled some trainers in the area and then I trained in the tall grass a little more. I arrived at the lake since I needed to challenge the Red Gyarados there, but I saved before I battled it.

;157; - Lv. 37 Typhlosion
    ;058; - Lv. 35 Growlithe
    ;126; - Lv. 33 Magmar

5. ToNeS

ToNeS Well-Known Member

I haven't been back to this forum in ages. Been real busy lately so I didn't have the chance to update my pokemon yellow poison monotype challenge. So far I've completed the challenge as I killed Mewtwo. I killed it by using Golbat's Confuse Ray in order to give myself a chance to use Toxic as it increases the damage done on Mewtwo then I beated it with Golbat by itself. My team so far is:

;042; Golbat Lvl51
    ;073; Tentacruel Lvl51
    ;093; Haunter Lvl51
    ;034; Nidoking Lvl52
    ;049; Venomoth Lvl52
    ;003; Venusaur Lvl51

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  6. Lorde

Lorde Banned

I got to the Red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage and I challenge it with Typhlosion. I had to defeat it since I wasn't allowed to capture a Water-type, and afterwards, I picked up the Red Scale key item there. I Surfed back to the edge of the lake and I met Lance there. He talked about Team Rocket's plans and I agreed to help him. I headed south to Mahogany Town, but I got a call from Schoolboy Alan. He said he wanted to give me something, so I returned to Rotue 36 and I got a Fire Stone from him. I was pleased. I used it on Growlithe, and he evolved into Arcanine. I returned to Mahogany Town where I healed at the Pokemon Center. I then went into the little shop there and Lance uncovered the secret door leading to Team Rocket's hideout. I went inside and beat two Team Rocket grunts and then I saved.

;157; - Lv. 38 Typhlosion
    ;059; - Lv. 36 Arcanine
    ;126; - Lv. 34 Magmar

7. Peters

Peters Combak Researcher

Pokemon Gold Water Type Adventure:
    Day 1:
    Today i woke up and my mum gave back the pokegear she broke. I left the house and went to Prof. Elm house who said some boring stuff and that i had to go to some guy called Mr.Pokemon. Her gave me a pokemon, It was a Totodile! After that i left to go to cherrygrove town. Along the way all i met where Hoothoots, Only using growl. That was Annoying. When i reached Cherrygrove town, a man wanted to show me around but in said no, that semed to make him angry. I went and healed my pokemon and headed to Mr.Pokemon's House. I met a Hoothoot (Again) And Decided to save.

Current team:
    ;158; Totodile Lv.7

8. dainswfc

dainswfc Well-Known Member

is it a monotype if i go through pokemon crystal in 8 hours with just a feraligator
    If it is a started and finished it last night with my move set
    Surf
    Bite
    Slash
    Ice punch

9. Jaren

Jaren Active Member

Started a Pokemon Yellow Monotype Challenge for Electric Type Pokemon. I've already beaten Brock with Pikachu, just to make sure that this challenge will work for a while. Pikachu is up to Lvl 14 currently. I shouldn't cross another problem with a gym leader up until Giovanni.

Team:
    Pikachu Lvl 14
    Thundershock
    Quick Attack
    Tail Whip
    Thunderwave

Badges: 1

10. ilovedeino

ilovedeino Deino Master

Pokemon Crystal Monotype.
    I'm just picking a type myself since nobody's responding.
    I shall do Normal type.

I will update after each badge.

UPDATE 3/8/2012 Finally I update after beating RED.

Falkner: Pidgey lv.10, Sentret lv.11

Bugsy: ;017; lv.19, ;162; lv.17, ;019; lv.18, ;021; lv.16

Whitney: ;017; lv.25, ;162; lv.23, ;020; lv.23, ;022; lv.24, ;190; lv.20

Morty: ;017; lv.31, ;162; lv.32, ;020; lv.30, ;022; lv.31, ;190; lv.30

Chuck: ;018; lv.36, ;162; lv.36, ;020; lv.37, ;022; lv.34, ;190; lv.36, ;203; lv.33

Jasmine: ;018; lv.39, ;162; lv.40, ;020; lv.41, ;022; lv.38, ;190; lv.40, ;203; lv.39

Pryce: ;018; lv.41, ;162; lv.40, ;020; lv.41, ;022; lv.39, ;190; lv.40, ;203; lv.40

Clair: ;018; lv.46, ;162; lv.47, ;020; lv.44, ;022; lv.44, ;190; lv.45, ;203; lv.46

Will : ;018; lv.51, ;162; lv.52, ;020; lv.50, ;022; lv.50, ;190; lv.51, ;203; lv.53

Koga : ;018; lv.52, ;162; lv.52, ;020; lv.50, ;022; lv.50, ;190; lv.51, ;203; lv.53

Bruno: ;018; lv.52, ;162; lv.52, ;020; lv.50, ;022; lv.50, ;190; lv.51, ;203; lv.54

Karen: ;018; lv.52, ;162; lv.52, ;020; lv.50, ;022; lv.51, ;190; lv.51, ;203; lv.54

Lance: ;018; lv.52, ;162; lv.52, ;020; lv.50, ;022; lv.51, ;190; lv.52, ;203; lv.54

Lt. Surge: ;018; lv.53, ;162; lv.53, ;020; lv.52, ;022; lv.55, ;190; lv.54, ;203; lv.54

Sabrina: ;018; lv.56, ;162; lv.57, ;020; lv.55, ;022; lv.59, ;190; lv.58, ;203; lv.58

Erika: ;018; lv.61, ;162; lv.60, ;020; lv.58, ;022; lv.57, ;190; lv.59, ;203; lv.59

Janine: ;018; lv.63, ;162; lv.62, ;020; lv.60, ;022; lv.59, ;190; lv.62, ;203; lv.61

Misty: ;018; lv.63, ;162; lv.63, ;020; lv.62, ;022; lv.61, ;190; lv.64, ;203; lv.65

Brock: ;018; lv.66, ;162; lv.65, ;020; lv.63, ;022; lv.63, ;190; lv.65, ;203; lv.66

Blaine: ;018; lv.68, ;162; lv.66, ;020; lv.65, ;022; lv.64, ;190; lv.67, ;203; lv.68

Blue: Pidgeot lv.70, Furret lv.69, Raticate lv.67, Fearow lv.68, Aipom lv.69, Girafarig lv.71

Red: Pidgeot lv.72, Furret lv.71, Raticate lv.73, Fearow lv.72, Aipom lv.73, Girafarig lv.71

The first and the last 2 set of names are written because I hit the image limit.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  11. ricedonut

ricedonut pringle user

I'm looking at doing a normal type only run in crystal, what are some good pokemon to use?

12. ilovedeino

ilovedeino Deino Master

I would say Girafarig as he is part Psychic and Furret as he can learn moves like Thunderbolt and Surf.

13. ricedonut

ricedonut pringle user

Who would want to use thunderbolt or surf off of Furret's base 45 special attack?

But I looked at Girafarig and it looks pretty good. Also raticate looks decent

14. Jesster

Jesster Spicy Nooblet

I just completed a bug monotype playthrough on my old Blue cartridge!
    It was painful, but certainly worth it - one of the best monotypes I've done. xD
    This was my team after defeating the Champion;

;012; - Happy Lv. 51 - Psybeam, Psychic, Toxic, Supersonic
    ;015; - Missile Lv. 50 - Twineedle, Poison Sting, Swords Dance, Fury Attack
    ;049; - Mothra Lv. 50 - Psybeam, Psychic, Poisonpowder, Mega Drain
    ;047; - Shroom Lv. 50 - Leech Life, Spore, Dig, Slash
    ;127; - Wickes Lv. 51 - Seismic Toss, Submission, Body Slam, Slash

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  15. Metalhead9838772

Metalhead9838772 Fearless Trainer

Going to do a Normal monotype in YELLOW BABE!
    Team:
    -Fearow (TheMetal)
    -Raticate (Steve)
    -Clefable (StarTrek)
    -Ditto (HELLYEAH) (NOT GOING TO USE)
    -Snorlax (Fatty)

Edit 1: I'm in Cerulean City, just before battling Gary. Every Pokés are in their final evolutions, which is pretty neat :p.
    Current team:
    -TheMetal (Lv20)
    -Steve (Lv20)
    -StarTrek(Lv20)

Edit 2: I stopped after the Safari Quest, just before challenging the Fuchsia City Gym.
    Current Team:
    -TheMetal (Lv40)
    -Steve (Lv40)
    -StarTrek (Lv41)
    -Fatty (Lv40)

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  16. shiningsloth13

shiningsloth13 Rock on.

I am about to partake in an "Ultimate Monotype Challenge." I heard about this whilst surfing the internet. What you do is, you pick one type, and then play through each and every generation using just that type. I will be using Water Pokemon, and I'm starting with my Red Version ROM (as I sold my physical cartridge years ago.) I'll update this post after each Gym Leader is defeated.

Picked a Squirtle, named it "Bowzer." Defeated Rival Nubcake's Bulbasaur with ease. As we speak, I'm on the road to Viridian City. Will update again after Brock!

Team: ;007; Lv6

Edit One: So I made it through the Viridian Forest with ease. Went straight to the Pewter Gym, which I blew through, predictably enough. Brock gave me the Badge and Bide, and I moved off to Route 3, where Bowzer evolved into a Wartortle. I plan on purchasing the Magikarp from that creepy fat guy outside Mt. Moon. Adventure hooooooo!

Team: ;008; Lv17

Edit Two: I purchased the Magikarp and named it Nuggets. He has been entirely useless, as was expected. After backtracking through Mt. Moon a dozen or so times to go heal at the Pokecenter on Route 3, I finally made it to the Route 4 exit, with a Helix Fossil in tow. After that, I went to Misty's gym to try and beef my Pokemon out a little bit before I went to fight Nubcake. I secured a narrow victory, then did the whole deal with Nugget Bridge and Bill. After that, I kicked that Rocket Grunt's butt and got TM Dig. At last, I returned to Misty's gym. I beat her with surprising ease, and the CascadeBadge was mine. About to move off to Vermilion City and the SS Anne.

Team: ;008; Lv25, ;129; Lv18

Edit Three: So after clearing Routes 5 and 6 with little difficulty (as well as evolving Nuggets!), I made it to Vermilion City. Did some training on the outskirts of town, along with catching a few Pokemon so I would have enough to get Flash from the aide. Then I went to clear out the SS Anne. After beating all the trainers aboard and throttling Nubcake, I claimed HM Cut as my prize. Proceeded to trade the Spearow I'd caught for Dux the Farfetch'd, who is now my new Cut slave. I made it past the gym trainers without too much difficulty,, but Surge himself gave me difficulty, beating me narrowly the first time. However, Nuggets had leveled up during that battle, and when I fought Surge again, Nuggets solo'd all of his Pokemon. After that I traversed Diglett's Cave, and went to speak to Oak's aide about Flash. After obtaining said HM, I taught it to a Drowzee I had captured for just that purpose. I'm currently on my way to Rock Tunnel.

Team: ;008; Lv30, ;130; Lv29, ;083; (HM slave) Lv15, ;096; (HM slave) Lv13

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Eldritch Abomination

1st/2dn Gen Mono Challenge seems very... challenging.

I'll give it a try ^^

18. Blaze12x2

Blaze12x2 Member

Going to do a fire type monotype in Sapphire, wish me luck

19. ilovedeino

ilovedeino Deino Master

I'm not trying to sound like a mod, but if you really meant Sapphire, then you would go to 3rd Gen, not 1st/2nd Gen.

20. PoKe_aRcHeR2010

PoKe_aRcHeR2010 Shady 2.0

- Currently in Mahogany Town battling Team Rocket but I've still havent battled Chuck,Jasmine nor Pryce for another badge... Also my Quilava has yet to faint ;D Woot!

Team
    ;156; Quilava :L 35
    ;058; Growlithe :L33
    ;133; Eevee :L28 (looking for 2 fire stones to evolve Growlithe and Eevee but I'm having a horrible time at it... gonna have to drop Eevee in the PC soon... v.v )

4 Badges

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012