• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

1st/2nd Gen Nuzlocke Challenge Thread!

I just earned my eighth and final Gym Badge in my Red Nuzlocke. Huzzah!

My journey through Kanto came full-circle, as I sailed along Route 21 from Cinnabar Island back to my hometown of Pallet, then onward to Viridian City. Fortunately, upon my arrival, Viridian City was abuzz with the news of someone having finally re-claimed the post of Gym Leader. Not wanting to miss this highly-coveted opportunity, I rushed to the Gym and battled my way through the many apprentices. Much to my shock and horror, the person waiting for me when I'd defeated the last of them was none other than Team Rocket Boss Giovanni. All along, the Viridian City Gym had been one of the legitimate faces of their evil operation. Learning this only made me all the more determined to beat him at his full power.

It seemed only fitting to start off my final Gym challenge with my trusted starter Lush Life (Venusaur), who'd reached its final evolutionary stage while I fought my way through Giovanni's Gym underlings. A single "Razor Leaf" reduced his first choice, Rhyhorn, to a pile of pebbles. I was concerned that his next choice, Dugtrio, might be wielding the deadly one-hit-KO move "Fissure", so I decided to bring out Ground-immune Scavenger (Fearow.) After raising its evasiveness with "Double Team", Scavenger mauled the mole Pokémon with "Drill Peck." Scavenger also successfully stabbed its way through Giovanni's next two choices, Nidoqueen and Nidoking, but when his ace, Rhydon, emerged, I knew that it was time for me to make another substitution. Since I started this match with the recently-evolved Lush Life, I chose to finish it with another recently-evolved companion: Freestyle (Poliwrath.) Although Rhydon attempted to lower Freestyle's defenses with "Tail Whip", it never got a chance to launch an actual attack before Freestyle swept it away with a single "Surf." Feeling humiliated like never before, Giovanni refused to face his minions after awarding me the Earth Badge; instead, he chose to permanently disband Team Rocket and retreat into solitary training.

With eight Gym Badges in my collection, and Team Rocket no longer a concern, it's time to head toward Victory Road and the Pokémon League Elite Four challenge: the ultimate test of my worth as a Pokémon Trainer.

Lush Life {Venusaur}
- Lv. 49, Pallet Town
Scavenger {Fearow}
- Lv. 49, Route 9
Pyro {Flareon}
- Lv. 49, Celadon City
Freestyle {Poliwrath}
- Lv. 49, Fuchsia City[
Tripolar {Magneton}
- Lv. 49, Power Plant
Obtuse {Slowbro}
- Lv. 49, Seafoam Islands
Vermin {Raticate}
- Route 1
Mars {Nidoran-M}
- Route 22
Tempest {Pidgey}
- Route 2
Chanteuse {Wigglytuff}
- Route 3
Nosferatu {Zubat}
- Mt. Moon
Hissy Fit {Arbok}
- Route 4
Flonase {Oddish}
- Route 25
Barrel {Mankey}
- Route 5
Neptune {Magikarp}
- Route 6
Whack {Diglett}
- Diglett's Cave
Mesmer {Drowzee}
- Route 11
Shrapnel {Voltorb}
- Route 10
Rover {Growlithe}
- Route 8
Macabre {Gastly}
- Pokémon Tower
Comatose {Snorlax}
- Route 12
Clipper {Krabby}
- Route 13
Clinch {Shellder}
- Vermilion City
Imite {Ditto}
- Route 14
Radar {Venonat}
- Route 15
Matriarch {Kangaskhan}
- Safari Zone
Skedaddle {Doduo}
- Route 18
Flush {Goldeen}
- Route 17
Gondola {Lapras}
- Saffron City
Spineless {Tentacool}
- Route 19
Nozzle {Horsea}
- Route 20
Unbridled {Ponyta}
- Pokémon Mansion
Stellar {Staryu}
- Route 21
Rugged {Geodude}
- Rock Tunnel
- Fell to Blue's Gyarados at Pokémon Tower
Pierce {Beedrill}
- Viridian Forest
- Fell to Koga's Weezing at Fuchsia Gym
1.) I must catch the first Pokémon that I encounter in each Route/Area and no others.
1a.) Duplicates Clause: I can only catch one member from each evolutionary family. If a Pokémon faints, I cannot catch another member from the same evolutionary family in any future Routes/Areas.
2.) I must nickname every Pokémon that I catch/receive.
3.) I must release every Pokémon that faints.
4.) I can catch Legendaries, but never use them in battle.
5.) I can accept gift Pokémon and use them in battle, if they are the first and only Pokémon that I obtain in that location.
6.) I cannot use any healing items during battles (against Trainers or wild Pokémon.)
7.) In Gym/Rival/E4/Champion battles, I can only use the same number of Pokémon as the Gym Leader/Rival/E4/Champion.
8.) Battles must always be set to "Set", not "Shift."

Last edited:
I just defeated Blue and successfully completed my Red Nuzlocke! Huzzah!

VS LORELEI:
My first Elite Four match proved to be as smooth as ice. Tripolar (Magneton) shocked Ice-type Master Lorelei's Dewgong and Cloyster into submission with a single "Thunderbolt" strike each. For her part-Psychic-type Slowbro and Jynx, I decided to recycle a strategy that I'd used at the Saffron Gym by combining "Thunder Wave" with "Supersonic" to minimize my opponents' chances of firing any attacks, then wore them down with a "Thunderbolt" and "Swift" barrage. Since Tripolar sustained some damage from Jynx's "Ice Punch", I feared that a "Blizzard" from Lorelei's Lapras could prove fatal, so I brought out Freestyle (Poliwrath) to finish things off. After boosting its special abilities with "Amnesia", just in case Lapras wielded something like "Psychic" or "Thunderbolt", Freestyle trounced the transport Pokémon with a single super-effective "Submission."

VS BRUNO:
I started my second Elite Four challenge with Scavenger (Fearow), since I certainly didn't expect Fighting-type Master Bruno to lead off with a Rock-and-Ground-type Onix. I made the risky call of keeping Scavenger on the field, since Onix typically don't have impressive offensive power, and raised its evasiveness with "Double Team." Bruno continued to surprise me by buffing Onix with X Defend and "Harden" instead of launching any attacks, so Scavenger slowly but surely wore down the giant rock snake with critical-hit "Drill Peck" jabs. Feeling over-confident that Scavenger could easily defeat Bruno's next choice, Hitmonchan, I instructed it to use "Fury Attack" first, for variety's sake. My heart stopped for a second when Hitmonchan fired back with "Counter", but the actual damage to Scavenger was less than I had feared. Not wanting to play around any longer, I commanded Scavenger to finish off Hitmonchan with "Drill Peck", then quickly did the same to Bruno's Hitmonlee. When Bruno brought out his second Onix, I swapped in the obvious choice of Lush Life (Venusaur) and snatched a quick victory with "Razor Leaf." I also took a more cautious approach with Bruno's ace, Machamp, by incapacitating it with "Sleep Power", then eliminating it with a "Razor Leaf" and "Body Slam" combo.

VS AGATHA:
My bout with the aged Agatha, Ghost-type Master, turned out to be my easiest yet. Although her first Gengar successfully put Obtuse (Slowbro) to sleep on its very first turn, Obtuse (uncharacteristically) sprung back awake in an instant. With her plan to utilize "Dream Eater" foiled, Agatha recalled Gengar in favor of Golbat, while I boosted Obtuse's special skills with "Amnesia." After Golbat fell to a single "Psychic" blast, Agatha brought back her first Gengar, who inflicted a decent amount of pain with "Night Shade" before Obtuse sent it back to the grave with "Psychic." Her Haunter tried to put Obtuse to sleep with "Hypnosis" and her Arbok tried to paralyze it with "Glare", but both of them missed their mark and were quickly eliminated with "Psychic" as well. It wasn't until Agatha unleashed her final choice, another Gengar, that she finally managed to inflict Obtuse with another status condition: bad poison, courtesy of "Toxic." Regardless, it was still too little too late, and Obtuse successfully cleansed the field of Agatha's final ghost with one last "Psychic."

VS LANCE:
I expected my final Elite Four challenge, against Dragon-Master Lance, to be exceptionally nerve-racking, but it was ultimately a fairly stress-free experience. Tripolar (Magneton) electrocuted Lance's first choice, Gyarados, with a single "Thunderbolt." Since that move would've been ineffective against Lance's next pick, a Dragonair, I instead had Tripolar immobilize it with "Thunder Wave" and "Supersonic." While Dragonair damaged itself, I brought out Freestyle (Poliwrath), boosted its special abilities with "Amensia", then unleashed a super-effective "Blizzard" (which I'd taught it specifically for this occasion.) Lance's other Dragonair couldn't withstand "Blizzard" either, and his Aerodactly was no match for "Surf." Lance saved his strongest ally, Dragonite, for last. Fearing that Freestyle wouldn't survive a "Hyper Beam", I brought out the bulkier Obtuse (Slowbro.) As expected, Obtuse endured the powerful blast, and while Dragonite was forced to re-charge, Obtuse ended the match with a single "Ice Beam."

After defeating Lance, he informed me that I actually needed to beat one more Trainer in order to claim the title of Pokémon League Champion: their recently-crowned Champion, Blue. It felt as though time stopped when Lance uttered that name. In a way, it was rather fitting that Blue would be my final obstacle to achieving Pokémon League glory; an obstacle that I vowed to overcome.

VS CHAMPION BLUE:
Blue actually seemed pleased to see me enter his throne room, relishing the chance to prove his superiority over me with the highest of stakes: the title of Pokémon League Champion. I decided to lead with my heart instead of head and sent out my cherished starter Lush Life (Venusaur) first, while Blue countered tactically by calling upon his Pidgeot. My faith in Lush Life convinced me to keep it on the field, and my faith was rewarded when Lush Life successfully put Pidgeot to sleep on the very first turn with "Sleep Powder." While Pidgeot slumbered, Lush Life drained its health with "Leech Seed" and flattened it with "Body Slam." Blue continued to play by-the-book and brought out his Alakazam next. I figured it would be too reckless to keep Lush Life out against this Psychic-type foe, so I chose Pyro (Flareon), who took minimal damage from "Psybeam" and wore down the spoon-bender with a flurry of "Quick Attack" and "Swift" strikes. Despite his textbook choices failing him thus far in our match, Blue still made type-matchups a priority by using his Rhydon third. I definitely caught him off-guared when I chose Scavenger (Fearow) to replace Pyro, but its impressive aerial agility allowed it to evade Rhydon's "Horn Drill" barrage and chip away with "Drill Peck" jabs. With half of his team depleted, Blue began to take notes from my approach and sent out his disadvantaged Exeggutor next; however, this abrupt shift in his tactics did not pay off, and Scavenger eliminated it from the match before it could launch a single attack. Blue finally unleashed his fearsome Gyarados next, which prompted me to replace Scavenger with Tripolar (Magneton.) Just as it had done against Lance's Gyarados, Tripolar easily subdued the atrocious Pokémon with a single "Thunderbolt."

While I used my starter first for this critical match, Blue saved his for last. As his Charizard soared onto the battlefield, I instructed Tripolar to paralyze the fire-breather with "Thunder Wave", and Blue commanded it to use "Rage" – almost as if he had already accepted defeat and simply given up trying. Commanding such a useless attack may have been Blue's attempt to deny me the satisfaction of a proper victory, but I resolved to take this match seriously to the very end. Since it had performed so admirably during my Elite Four challenges, I let Obtuse (Slowbro) deal the final blow of this Championship match. Although Blue stalled somewhat by using a Full Restore, it didn't take long for Obtuse to strip him of his Champion title with a tidal wave from "Surf." My trusted Pokémon and I had finally proven ourselves to be the absolute strongest team in Kanto.

Lush Life ---> Pidgeot
Alakazam ---> Lush Life (withdrawn)
Pyro ---> Alakazam
Rhydon ---> Pyro (withdrawn)
Scavenger ---> Rhydon
Scavenger ---> Exeggutor
Gyarados ---> Scavenger (withdrawn)
Tripolar ---> Gyarados
Charizard ---> Tripolar (withdrawn)
Obtuse ---> Charizard
Lush Life {Venusaur}
- Lv. 62, Pallet Town
Scavenger {Fearow}
- Lv. 62, Route 9
Pyro {Flareon}
- Lv. 62, Celadon City
Freestyle {Poliwrath}
- Lv. 62, Fuchsia City[
Tripolar {Magneton}
- Lv. 63, Power Plant
Obtuse {Slowbro}
- Lv. 63, Seafoam Islands
Overall, I really enjoyed this Nuzlocke journey and the team I assembled (including several of the Pokémon I worked with along the way, but eventually died or went to stay with Oak.) I had the opportunity to travel with several Pokémon species that I'd either never used in a Nuzlocke before (Venusaur, Fearow, Flareon, Slowbro, Beedrill, Arbok, etc.) or had used only briefly in previous journeys due to abrupt fatalities (Wigglytuff, Poliwrath, Magneton, etc.) This was my second successful Gen I Nuzlocke (I completed one using my old Blue cartridge last year), and I definitely think that the lack of Natures, Abilites, and coverage move options, along with the easily-exploitable crit ratio and other Gen I quirks, make for an easier Nuzlocke experience. This run featured my lowest body-count to date, with only two deaths (compared to seven in my Blue Nuzlocke.) Adding the duplicates clause definitely makes a big difference too, especially when you're working with a regional Dex as small as Kanto's. Apologies for spamming this thread so much over the past couple of months - I'll definitely come up with a different approach to posting my future Nuzlocke quests.

Vermin {Raticate}
- Route 1
Mars {Nidoran-M}
- Route 22
Tempest {Pidgey}
- Route 2
Chanteuse {Wigglytuff}
- Route 3
Nosferatu {Zubat}
- Mt. Moon
Hissy Fit {Arbok}
- Route 4
Flonase {Oddish}
- Route 25
Barrel {Mankey}
- Route 5
Neptune {Magikarp}
- Route 6
Whack {Diglett}
- Diglett's Cave
Mesmer {Drowzee}
- Route 11
Shrapnel {Voltorb}
- Route 10
Rover {Growlithe}
- Route 8
Macabre {Gastly}
- Pokémon Tower
Comatose {Snorlax}
- Route 12
Clipper {Krabby}
- Route 13
Clinch {Shellder}
- Vermilion City
Imite {Ditto}
- Route 14
Radar {Venonat}
- Route 15
Matriarch {Kangaskhan}
- Safari Zone
Skedaddle {Doduo}
- Route 18
Flush {Goldeen}
- Route 17
Gondola {Lapras}
- Saffron City
Spineless {Tentacool}
- Route 19
Nozzle {Horsea}
- Route 20
Unbridled {Ponyta}
- Pokémon Mansion
Stellar {Staryu}
- Route 21
Pumped Up {Machop}
- Victory Road
Rugged {Geodude}
- Rock Tunnel
- Fell to Blue's Gyarados at Pokémon Tower
Pierce {Beedrill}
- Viridian Forest
- Fell to Koga's Weezing at Fuchsia Gym
1.) I must catch the first Pokémon that I encounter in each Route/Area and no others.
1a.) Duplicates Clause: I can only catch one member from each evolutionary family. If a Pokémon faints, I cannot catch another member from the same evolutionary family in any future Routes/Areas.
2.) I must nickname every Pokémon that I catch/receive.
3.) I must release every Pokémon that faints.
4.) I can catch Legendaries, but never use them in battle.
5.) I can accept gift Pokémon and use them in battle, if they are the first and only Pokémon that I obtain in that location.
6.) I cannot use any healing items during battles (against Trainers or wild Pokémon.)
7.) In Gym/Rival/E4/Champion battles, I can only use the same number of Pokémon as the Gym Leader/Rival/E4/Champion.
8.) Battles must always be set to "Set", not "Shift."

Last edited:

charles0712

I heard of the Nuzlocke challenge on Youtube and decided to try it on yellow (my favorite).

My rules are :
-I can only catch/use the 1st pokemon encountered in each aera (trades and gifts included).
-If a pokemon faints I send it to my cemetary (last Box in the PC still at 0HP)
-Team KO = game over
-Each pokemon must be nicknamed
I still don't know if I'll add a HM slave (maybe only if I get stuck since it's my 1st try).

My road so far :

After getting the pokeballs I went back to route 1 and caught a Rattata that I named Can-opener.
On route 2 I got a nidoran male that I named Excalibur.
I went back to route 22 and got another nidoran male that I named Horny.
Then I humiliated blue using only my Pikachu.
In veridian forest I got a caterpie named Monarch it quickly evolved into metapod and Butterfree.
I arrived in Pewter city and am now training my nidorans for their upcoming fight to get my 1st badge.

My team so far :
Pikachu lvl 9
Rattata lvl 9
Butterfree lvl 10
Nidoran male lvl 10
Nidoran male lvl 9

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Due to the recent release of Sun & Moon and my newly rekindled interest in competitive battling, I've decided that I'm going to start a Nuzlocke challenge in a game from each and every generation to get into the spirit, starting with Pokemon Yellow!

1. When a Pokémon faints, it's dead. Deceased Pokémon will go into the PC forever.
  2. No Pikachu. Upon your first catch, store Pikachu away immediately.
  3. The only Pokémon you can catch are the first you encounter in every area. This includes caves, the Pokémon Tower, etc.
  4. You can only catch one Pokémon of every species. For example, if you caught a Nidoran outside of Viridian City, you cannot catch a Nidorino in the Safari Zone.
  5. Choose One: Charmander, Squirtle, or Bulbasaur. The other two cannot be used.
  6. No TMs.
  7. No vitamins, rare candies, or revives.
  8. You can only have {2} "Reserve" Pokémon, which you can keep safe in your PC.
  9. You cannot flee from wild Pokémon; however, evasion of Trainers is allowed.
  10. Cheats/glitches (including the Mew glitch!) are prohibited.
  11. Only 2 items of any kind may be used in-battle. For example: You can use one X-Attack and one Super Potion, but you can't use two Super Potions and one X-Attack. Item use whilst battling wild Pokémon is prohibited (this includes Legendaries and excludes Pokéballs).
  12. Safari Zone: First run through the Safari Zone will solely be for items. The second run through may be for catching Pokémon; you can catch as many as you want, but you can only keep one. After the second run, access to the Safari Zone is cut off.

BANNED
    Aerodactyl
    Alakazam
    Articuno
    Dragonite
    Mew
    Mewtwo
    Moltres
    Pikachu
    Snorlax
    Zapdos
  13. Level Limits
    • 1st Badge - Lv. 15
    • 2nd Badge - Lv. 20
    • 3rd Badge - Lv. 25
    • 4th Badge - Lv. 30
    • 5th Badge - Lv. 35
    • 6th Badge - Lv. 40
    • 7th Badge - Lv. 45
    • 8th Badge - Lv. 55
    • Elite Four - Lv. 60

Badges: 1/8

Dank King
032.gif

Species: Nidoran♂
Level: 12
Caught At: As Nidoran, Route 22 @ Lv. 4
Moves
Leer
Tackle
Horn Attack

Butterdank
012.gif

Species: Caterpie
Level: 12
Caught At: As Metapod, Viridian Forest @ Lv. 6
Moves
Harden
Confusion​

Last edited:
So because I got an eShop card, I decided to buy Pokemon Yellow and begin a Nuzlocke on it.

I haven't made too much progress. I've made it to Viridian City, and I've caught three Pokemon in addition to Cadwell the Pikachu- Kirus the Pidgey, Nougat the Nidoran (M), and Magnus the Mankey. I'll be training all of them to level 10 before I move onto the forest.

EDIT: Made it to Pewter! Training to level 14 before the gym.

EDIT: And Brock is down! The battle was quite easy- Nougat took out his Geodude with two rounds of Double Kick, and two Low Kicks from Magnus were able to finish the Onix. Afterwards, I went to the next route, catching Zeus the Spearow as I went. I chose to replace Kirus with him. Along the way, Nougat evolved!

I chose to stop training Cadwell. Pikachu will only hold me back, I'm sure, later on.

EDIT: I made it to Cerulean and got my Bulbasaur, Saxifrage. I also caught a Sandshrew called Brom, but seeing as I have Nougat, I boxed him in case of an emergency. I fought my rival. Even though he was a higher level than I expected, he wasn't too bad. Zeus took out his Spearow quickly enough, Magnus dealt with his Sandshrew and Ratatta, and Nougat got rid of his Eevee.

Speaking of, Saxifrage and Nougat both evolved.

I picked up Kjal the Charmander and boxed him, and Zeus evolved into Fearow. I then began to train my team for Misty. I'll fight her when I reach level 22.

EDIT: And then I replaced Nougat with Brom. Much as I love him, I already have a Poison-type in Saxifrage, and Brom has higher Attack and all that when he evolves into Sandslash. I'll put Nougat back in if Brom dies, however.

EDIT: I managed to defeat Misty. She was pathetic- all she did was use Harden and X Defends. Saxifrage took both her Pokemon out easily. I progressed and added Lethe the Drowzee to my team.

EDIT: Surge was unspectacular. Brom took him out in one Dig. Speaking of Brom, I had a bit of a scare where he got hit by a Voltorb's Selfdestruct, but he tanked it easily.

EDIT: And I just lost my first Pokemon. While in Celadon, I decided to pick up a Vulpix. While grinding, though, that Vulpix- Ravish- ended up dying to a crit Hyper Fang. I'll probably put my Eevee, Pyrrhon, on instead.

Rules:
-Standard rules apply
-Dupes Clause is on
-I can only use one starter at a time. I can rotate between them, but I can't have more than one at a time on my team.

Team so far:
;056; Magnus, level 30
;002; Saxifrage, level 30
;028; Brom, level 30
;097; Lethe, level 30
;084; Spitfire, level 30

Dead:
;037; Ravish, level 18-24 (Killed by wild Ratatta's Hyper Fang.)

Last edited:

Dumblecleft

Hi guys,
I decided to start a YouTube channel to help with my depression. My first series I chose was a pokemon Gold Nuzlocke randomizer challenge. Here's the first episode if any of you would like to check it out. https://youtu.be/XJZJ4vcuggo
If you enjoy maybe help me out by dropping a sub and feedback would be much appreciated thank you

Okay, I think the standard Nuzlocke is getting a little stale for me, so I started a new one on Yellow- this time, though, I'm simply doing one where I'm restricted to only Pokemon with Normal-Types.

My rules are:

-Standard rules. One catch, first Normal encountered, fainting is death, must be nicknamed.
-For the first time, I'm going with Set style.
-Dupes is off.
-I cannot swap out any of my team until any of them die. No matter what's coming up.
-Not as significant of a rule, but I'm not going to create nicknames that make sense. The first thing that comes to mind will be their nickname.

Right now, I'm just going to Viridian Forest. I recently defeated my rival- Rizja the Rattata took out his Spearow, while I took out his Eevee with Zagga, my own Spearow, and Kabyr the Pidgey.

EDIT: Update- I've got a lot of birds.

But anyhow, I made my way through Viridian Forest, catching a second Pidgey, Ebajuun, along the way- more to die after the second gym, am I right? My early bird curse is going to have a field day with him and Kabyr... However, despite all of the Normal types, Brock was surprisingly easy. Rizja was my pick for this gym. I used Hyper Fang against his Geodude as is- it took off a quarter of its health. Once it went down, I healed Rizja and spammed Tail Whip until it used Bide. Once it insisted charging, I dealt with it with a few quick Hyper Fangs.

So that's the hardest part over with! I progressed to Route 3, and caught Bazaro, another Spearow. Told you I had a lot of birds. I'll be training him and the rest up to a decent level before I enter Mt Moon.

I'm considering imposing a level limit from here on out. I was a little more lax with Brock, considering that I had no real means of taking him out, but now that he's down, I'm thinking of training to the level of the Gym Leader's ace, and no higher.

Current Team:
;019; Rizja, level 15
;016; Kabyr, level 15
;021; Zagga, level 15
;016; Ebajuun, level 14
;021; Bazaro, level 10

Last edited:

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
Doing a Nuzlocke run in Red version.

Rules: Shift battle style, Dupes clause, Mythology-themed Nicknames, can only catch Pokémon at their lowest obtainable form, fainted Pokémon muse be released ASAP.

I will use a random number generator for my starter choice: 1, 2, or 3 is Bulbasaur, 4, 5, or 6 is Charmander, 7, 8, or 9 is Squirtle.

I rolled a 7 so my starter will be a Squirtle named Kuzenbo.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Usurper
Starting a Nuzlocke in Pokemon Gold VC. Same rules as my previous post. Totodile is my starter, nicknamed Sobek. Will update later.

AmethystLeslie

I am planning a Nuzlocke for VC Crystal, when it releases. Standard rules apply, dupes clause is false (i will catch dupes cuz lol variety), nickname theme is NYC neighborhoods. I already made a random list of 120 names, but I might tweak it a bit. Starter will be chosen on the last number of my Trainer ID, 1-3 is Chikorita, 4-6 is Cyndaquil, 7-9 is Totodile, 0 is my own choice.

Goal is to beat Red, and my secondary goal is to have something ready to help me shiny hunt Celebi.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I look forward to hearing about Nolita's exploits, whatever Pokemon she turns out to be.

Pokemon Stadium 2 came with Red and Blue. I have to say, I am LOVING the Doduo Game Boy Tower. Dodrio is too fast for me, and I have to turn the volume all the way down on the TV and listen to something else, but it really makes grinding easier, for example through Viridian Forest and Nugget Bridge on the way to Bill.

AmethystLeslie

I started my VC Crystal Nuzlocke. Day 1:

My ID ended in a 3, so my starter happened to be Chikorita. Of course. He is named Versailles after the Bronx neighborhood Park Versailles. So far, he's actually kind a crit master, so I hope that stays. My Route 29 catch was a Sentret, and her name is Heartland after Heartland Village in Staten Island. She's terrible, not sure what to do with her. Route 30 gave me Pidgey, and his name is Sheepshead, named after Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn. He's doing... about the same as Heartland, but I guess they're only being like this cuz it's very early game. Going into the Dark Cave gave me Zubat, and her name is Queensboro after Queensboro Hill in... Queens. Finally a catch I'm happy with, although she's starting out like any other Zubat, and that's weak AF. She tanked Sprout Tower cuz Bellsprout could only do 1 HP to her... but since she's weak I had to rely on confusion damage. Route 31 gave me a Caterpie which i named him New Bright, after New Brighton in Staten Island. As Caterpie do, it evolved into Metapod and now I'm just waiting until level 10, really, when he becomes Butterfree. Route 36 gave me a 2nd Pidgey that I named Greenwood after Greenwood Heights in Brooklyn. They were my first death that I used as a sacrifice because I had no potions when taking on the head of Sprout Tower, Sage Li. I did manage to spam Sand Attack on that level 10 Hoothoot, which I have no answer to.

I just caught a Spearow in Route 46, cuz I forgot to go there before taking on Sprout Tower. Her name is Bellaire, after a Queens neighborhood. Now I'm gonna grind for Faulkner, cuz I'm gonna need it. Something tells me this team is gonna be hard to raise, and I need all the healing items, pokeballs, and X items I can spend my money on, and money's not the easiest thing in the world to get.

Current team:
Bellaire the Spearow, level 2
Queensboro the Zubat, level 8
Heartland the Furret, level 8
New Bright the Metapod, level 8
Versailles the Chikorita, level 10
Sheepshead the Pidgey, level 10

AmethystLeslie

VC Crystal Nuzlocke Day 2, gone a little better than yesterday.

After God knows how many hours, I finished grinding for Falkner, and all my Pokemon were level 14-16... and I swept with Bayleef. Level 9 Pidgeotto, get outta here. I think I'm just gonna level to a more appropriate level with my Pokemon that I plan to fight with instead of doing that. So, for Bugsy, I'm just gonna level a few Pokemon to level 18.

My catches were:

Rego Park (Bellsprout, Route 32)
Douglaston (Geodude, Union Cave)
Rockaway Park (Zubat, Route 33, shortened to Rockaway)
Washington Heights (Slowpoke, Slowpoke Well, shortened to Washington)
Canarsie (Venonat, Ilex Forest)

I boxed Bellaire and Heartland to make room for Douglaston and the Togepi egg. Bruh, she is WRECKING things. I really wish she was my Dark Cave encounter, cuz MAN, I'm loving her. I'd like to make room for Washington to be in the party, too, since having a Water-type could be useful. Maybe Venonat would be used if New Bright dies or falls behind. Bellsprout... idk, but at least I can get a Leaf Stone earlier than fricken Kanto, so that's a consideration when Versaillles falls behind or dies. I don't wanna hope for him dying, since he's actually critting a lot, and is my screens user, so he'll be a tank like he was born to be. A terrible tank, but he was born this way nonetheless. Also, I have actual money to buy medicine and Pokeballs, and I found a Revive that I should sell. I also should go back to Azelea and buy some X items, too.

Currently grinding for Bugsy, I have to not take as long next time. Current team is:

Douglaston the Geodude, level 18
New Bright the Butterfree, level 15
Queensboro the Zubat, level 15
Sheepshead the Pidgey, level 16
Versailles the Bayleef, level 18
Togepi egg

AmethystLeslie

VC Crystal Nuzlocke day 3, I had a casualty today.

Washington the Slowpoke died to a SE Bite from a wild Growlithe. She was around for one gym leader battle, but didn't take part. I really wanted to use a Water-type in my journey, too.

I beat Busgy and Whitney today and stopped at Ecruteak and i'm gonna grind for Morty. I even took advantage of the daycare's ability to level up Pokemon passively and put in my Bellsprout and Venonat there and later took them out and they were levelled with the rest of my team but I'm not using them yet. Now my 2nd Zubat and the Smoochum i hatched from the Odd Egg are there, and i'm trying to have the money to get them out of there. I was lucky that I got a Smoochum out of that egg, I was hoping for that or Tyrogue.

Catches were:

Bronx River (Snubbull, Route 34) (shortened to BronxRiver)
Lincoln Square (Pidgey, Route 35) (shortened to Lincoln Sq)
Financial District (Smoochum, Odd Egg) (shortened to Finance)
Bath Beach (Sunkern, National Park)
Clinton Hill (Stantler, Route 37) (shortened to ClintonHil)
Hudson Yards (Magikarp, Route 42) (shortened to HudsonYard)
Greenpoint (Rattata, Mt. Mortar)
Bloomfield (Raticate, Route 38)

Current Team:
ClintonHil the Stantler, level 14
Queensboro the Zubat, level 21
Versailles the Bayleef, level 21
New Bright the Butterfree, level 21
Sheepshead the Pidgeotto, level 22
Douglaston the Geodude, level 22

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
I just purchased Pokemon Ao for the VC for the purpose of doing a Nuzlocke. I'm only going to be following the standard rules, as this is my first true Nuzlocke and I'd rather keep things simple:

RULES
- I can only catch the first Pokemon I encounter on any route. Gift Pokemon and trades can be used, but will count as the single Pokémon that I obtain in that location.
- I must nickname all Pokemon I acquire.
- Any Pokemon that is Knocked Out is considered "deceased" and will be boxed. (Why release them when I can transfer them to my my Gen VII games?) If my whole team is Knocked Out, it is Game Over.
- Dupes clause in effect: that is, I can only have one member of any evolutionary family on hand at any time. If a representative of a line is Knocked Out, I cannot replace it with another.
- I can catch Legendaries, but I cannot use them. (With the exception of Mew.)

Special Addedum
- I may use the Mew Glitch once as a wildcard, provided I have the means to execute it (a legitimately-caught Teleporter or Flier). I cannot look up the hexadecimal reference whilst doing so.
- I may use the Daycare PP Glitch to change a single Pokemon of my choosing, likewise without hexadecimal reference.

I started up and named my trainer Ash and the rival, Gary. Of the three Pokemon Professor Oak offered, I decided to choose Squirtle since it's the "cover" starter. I nicknamed it Kame. My rival took Bulbasaur. Our first battle opened with Bulbasaur's Growl, which missed. I read the move and used the opportunity to get in a Tail Whip. I ordered Kame to Tackle away, and was able to get two hits in while Gary's Bulbasaur tried returning the favor before succeeding in lowering Kame's Attack. He Growled two more times, but at that point it only delayed the inevitable: the battle was ours in a matter of rounds. Gary forked over some pocket change before seeing himself out of Oak's Lab.

My first encounter on Route 1 was a wild Pidgey (Level 5). Kame fought another Pidgey before we arrived at Viridian. I popped into the Pokemon Center to heal Kame before stopping by the Store. There, the owner entrusted me with a package addressed to Professor Oak. I hastened back to Pallet Town to deliver the package and received a Pokedex in return for my troubles. I then picked up the Town Map from Gary's sister before heading back to Viridian City.

Current Roster
;007; Kame the Squirtle (Level 7)

Last edited:

AmethystLeslie

VC Nuzlocke Day 4, not much progress today.

I spent the entire day grinding for Morty and trying to get encounters for certain places. Queensboro evolved into Golbat and then Crobat after one more level. That was actually kinda cool, especially after my Eevee from VC Gold took until the League to become Umbreon. Douglaston evolved into Graveller, and i'm considering buying a Gen 2 game and rushing to get an ability to use the Time Capsule feature, just to have an ability to trade for Gen 1 and 2. I took my 2nd Zubat and Smoochum out and put in the Furret and Magikarp, then i got more Magikarp, some that are even 1 level off from evolving. Also, this Morty fight will be the last time I have New Bright on the team, and I will also drop ClintonHil for Magikarp or Poliwag. Maybe even Smoochum, but that one's risky. I would like to use Venonat, too.

Catches of the day:

Flushing (Tauros, Route 39)
Old Howard Beach (Magikarp, Olivine City)
Long Island City (Poliwag, Ruins Of Alph)
Floral Park (Gastly, Sprout Tower)
New Springville (Magikarp, Violet City)

Current Team:

ClintonHil the Stantler, level 25
Queensboro the Crobat, level 25
Versailles the Bayleef, level 25
New Bright the Butterfree, level 25
Sheepshead the Pidgeotto, level 23
Douglaston the Graveller, level 25

AmethystLeslie

VC Crystal Nuzlocke day 5.

I spent today doing mainly preparations than actual progress. By that i mean I bought Silver today, just to rush through to not just get the ability to trade between Gen 2 games, but to unlock the Time Capsule as well. That was actually kinda fun, i'd do it again. Anyway, I evolved my Douglaston into a Golem, so it's even more worth it. I beat Morty with Queensboro sweeping and the fact that none of his mons ever got to make an attack, cuz Queensboro spammed Bite for the constant flinch. It was beautiful. Crobat's awesome in general. I then took on the lighthouse with Carnasie and Old Howard replacing New Bright and ClintonHil. After Old Howard evolved, i gave her some TMs and Surf, so now she can do some stuff.

Catches of the day:
Marine Park (Krabby, Route 40) (shortened to MarinePark)
Chelsea (Manhattan) (Tentacruel, Route 41)
Tottenville (Krabby, Cianwood City) (shortened to Totenville)

Current Team:
Carnasie the Venonat, level 21
Old Howard the Gyarados, level 23
Sheepshead the Pidgeotto, level 26
Queensboro the Crobat, level 27
Douglaston the Golem, level 27
Versailles the Bayleef, level 27

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
VC Pokemon Ao Nuzlocke

Session #2

After stocking up on some goods, I ventured forth from Viridian City. My first destination was Route 22, where I found and captured a Nidoran F, who I named Nidoku. I devoted a healthy chunk of time to grinding on Route 1 before returning to Route 22, where I bumped into my rival. Our second battle commenced: his Pidgey against Kame the Squirtle, and Nidoku the Nidoran F against his Bulbasaur. The ensuing battle wasn't exactly a clean sweep, as his Pidgey was able to get in three Sand Attacks total and whittle down Kame's HP some. Nidoku used a few Scratches to pummel his Bulbasaur thoroughly.

Outside of Viridian Forest on Route 2 I happened upon my third party member, a Pidgey I called Kotori. I fought two Bug Catchers, taking extra care with Kotori in an attempt to level it. I brought Antidotes in the event it was afflicted with poison--which is exactly what happened during its first battle. Before I could face the remaining Bug Catcher I found myself face-to-face with a Caterpie, which I soon added to my roster. I nicknamed the bugger Imo.

I invested more time grinding in the northern reaches of Route 2 to bring Kotori and Imo up to snuff. I soon grew weary of doing so and figured I might as well give the Pewter City Gym a shot. As it turns out, it wasn't Brock who gave me trouble. Rather, it was the youth who confronted me as I approached the Leader for a battle. I led with Imo, and left myself open while switching out for Kotori. His Diglett gave my team a run for its money with its terrific speed, and his Sandshrew almost brought Kame to its knees.

Brock was an utter pushover in comparison. My team took no damage during the match. All he did was order Geodude to use Defense Curl and his Onix to Screech while Kame the Squirtle brought them down with twin helpings of two Bubbles each. At the battle's conclusion, Imo evolved into Metapod. In lieu of his defeat, Brock awarded me with the Gray (Boulder) Badge, and TM 34 Bide.

My next stop is Route 3, where I hope to grind more before I enter Mt. Moon.

Current Roster
;007; Kame the Squirtle (Level 13)
;029; Nidoku the Nidoran F (Level 11)
;016; Kotori the Pidgey (Level 10)
;011; Imo the Metapod (Level 7)

- I can only catch the first Pokemon I encounter on any route. Gift Pokemon and trades can be used, but will count as the single Pokémon that I obtain in that location.
- I must nickname all Pokemon I acquire.
- Any Pokemon that is Knocked Out is considered "deceased" and will be boxed. (Why release them when I can transfer them to my my Gen VII games?) If my whole team is Knocked Out, it is Game Over.
- Dupes clause in effect: that is, I can only have one member of any evolutionary family on hand at any time. If a representative of a line is Knocked Out, I cannot replace it with another.
- I can catch Legendaries, but I cannot use them. (With the exception of Mew.)

Special Addedum
- I may use the Mew Glitch once as a wildcard, provided I have the means to execute it (a legitimately-caught Teleporter or Flier). I cannot look up the hexadecimal reference whilst doing so.
- I may use the Daycare PP Glitch to change a single Pokemon of my choosing, likewise without hexadecimal reference.

Last edited:

AmethystLeslie

VC Crystal Nuzlocke Day 6. 2 gyms were taken out today as well as story progression, so that's awesome.

I took on Chuck's and Pryce's gyms, since they're even in level, as well as doing the Lake of Rage stuff, and killing the Red Gyarados for the Red Scale so I can get me the Exp. Share. Now I'm in Easy Street. I did Lake of Rage, Chuck, Team Rocket in Mahogany, and Pryce. Soon I'll do some grinding, and then... I assume Team Rocket in Goldenrod's right before Clair. I went there after Pryce, and the tower was completely fine, aside from the 2 Team Rocket NPCs there. I'll figure it out in the morning. Anyway, I also got the Hidden Power TM, and decided to teach that to Sheepshead. He has Hidden Power Fire, and I approve. Sadly, I didn't use him for the Pryce battle, I just let Old Howard take care of everything. Carnasie and Versailles evolved, and now Sheepshead is the last one who needs to evolve. I really hope I take these guys all the way.

Catches of the day:
Travis (Pidegotto, Route 43)
Sea Gate (Hoothoot, Lake of Rage)

Current Team:
Carnasie the Venomoth, level 31
Old Howard the Gyarados, level 32
Sheepshead the Pidgeotto, level 31
Queensboro the Crobat, level 32
Douglaston the Golem, level 33
Versailles the Meganium, level 33

AmethystLeslie

VC Crystal Nuzlocke Day 7. Not much progress save for grinding for and defeating Jasmine.

I was actually afraid of the fight cuz after looking at her Steelix's moveset, so I was coming up with plans on how to defeat that thing, even using a calculator to determine how certain members of the party would do it. According to the calculator, Old Howard should 2-shot the Steelix, assuming perfect DVs, which I knew neither of us had, so I assumed it'd be around those percentages. I ended up 1-shotting the Steelix, so... damn.

No new catches today, I begin tomorrow with Team Rocket in Goldenrod.

Current team:
Carnasie the Venomoth, level 35
Old Howard the Gyarados, level 35
Sheepshead the Pidgeotto, level 35
Queensboro the Crobat, level 35
Douglaston the Golem, level 35
Versailles the Meganium, level 36