• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

1st/2nd Gen Nuzlocke Challenge Thread!

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
VC Pokemon Ao Nuzlocke

Session #3

A little ways before Mt. Moon I encountered my fifth party member, a scrappy Spearow I nicknamed Drill. I devoted plenty of time to grinding before progressing to the mountain passage. There I quickly found myself in a battle against a Zubat, which completed my team. I called it Koumori. Mt. Moon was a relatively easy, pleasurable affair (I even encountered two Clefairy!), with the exception of a lone Team Rocket Grunt whose Raticate proved more powerful than I thought: it would have killed Kame had it not evolved beforehand.

Before I arrived in Cerulean, I bumped into a pathetic little Sandshrew on Route 4. I named it San and immediately set to training it, knowing full well how vital it would be to cinching my third badge. Wanting to grind as much as possible before I challenged Misty, I took a detour to Routes 24 and 25. Before I could cross the illustrious Nugget Bridge, my rival showed up again and demanded a battle. Fortunately, I was prepared for the fight.

I first sent Nidoku the Nidorina against his Pidgeotto, which spammed the living daylights out of Sand Attack, causing Nidoku to only hit with Scratch once. I switched her out for Kame the Wartortle, who finished off Pidgeotto with a few Water Guns. Next it was San's turn to shine against his Abra, which couldn't even attack. Its frail Defense made the match-up as easy as pie. Then I pit Imo the Butterfree against his Rattata: its Confusion got the job done in two rounds. Lastly, it was Kotori the Pigeotto's turn to teach his Bulbasaur a lesson. Its knee-jerk response was to Leech Seed my bird, but it went down with a few Gusts and Quick Attacks before it could do it any good.

After crossing the bridge and showing the Rocket Grunt at the end a thing or two, I caught Zassou the Oddish in the small patch of grass of Route 24. I replaced it with Drill the Spearow as I replaced Koumori the Zubat with San the Sandshrew when I first entered Cerulean City. Hehe... I guess I won't be Mew Glitching anytime soon. Oh well, I'm using Mew, Nidoqueen, and Blastoise in my Midori Glitchlocke--having the same party members would just make things redundant. I needed a Grass type for the upcoming Gym challenge anyway.

...And lo and behold: I catch an Abra using the single Great Ball I had in my possession on Route 25. I named it Nenriki. You know what? I'm going to be a good sport about this and not cheat for the duration of the 'locke. Goodbye special addendum!

The entire battle against Misty's stars was soloed by Zasshou the Oddish most splendidly. Staryu went down to a few Absorbs after Misty buffed its Defense and it tried to Tackle Zasshou into submission. I alternated between Sleep Powder and Absorb to wallop her formidable Starmie. I can't say I've ever had an easier time against the Water-type Gym Leader. She acknowledged her defeat and handed over the Blue (Cascade) Badge, as well as TM 11 Bubblebeam.

Before leaving the area, I fed San two Rare Candies to bring it up the snuff with the rest of the team and evolved Nidoku with the Moon Stone I found in Mt. Moon in preparation for the next Gym.

Current Roster
;008; Kame the Wartortle (Level 20)
;031; Nidoku the Nidoqueen (Level 19)
;017; Kotori the Pidgeotto (Level 19)
;012; Imo the Butterfree (Level 17)
;027; San the Sandshrew (Level 17)
;043; Zassou the Oddish (Level 20)

Koumori the Zubat (Level 12)
Drill the Spearow (Level 11)
Nenriki the Abra (Level 12)

- I can only catch the first Pokemon I encounter on any route. Gift Pokemon and trades can be used, but will count as the single Pokémon that I obtain in that location.
- I must nickname all Pokemon I acquire.
- Any Pokemon that is Knocked Out is considered "deceased" and will be boxed. (Why release them when I can transfer them to my my Gen VII games?) If my whole team is Knocked Out, it is Game Over.
- Dupes clause in effect: that is, I can only have one member of any evolutionary family on hand at any time. If a representative of a line is Knocked Out, I cannot replace it with another.
- I can catch Legendaries, but I cannot use them.

Last edited:

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
VC Pokemon Ao Nuzlocke

Session #4

Ticket from Bill in hand, I set off for Vermillion. On Route 6 (I forgot about 5), I captured a Meowth I named Nyan, and let it stay in the PC. While there, Zassou evolved from an Oddish into a Gloom.

When I first arrived, I listened to the Pokemon Fan Club's President talk endlessly about what-have-you. He present me with a coupon for a Bicycle, which I redeemed at the Cerulean Bicycle Shop.

Aboard the S.S. Anne, my team was battered to their breaking point. Zassou hogged most of the spotlight against the resident trainers' Water types. Kame was temporarily out of commission due to a Burn it suffered from a Gentleman's Growlithe's Ember. Imo the Butterfree soloed the entire battle against my rival using a winning combination of Sleep Powder and Confusion. I came to the aid of the seasick captain, who reward me with HM 01 Cut for my troubles. I left the vessel and watch it depart from the harbor.

I stopped by the PokeMart and Pokemon Center before teaching San the Sandshrew Cut to gain access to the Gym.

It was San's and Nidoku's time to shine. The switch puzzle soon got on my nerves, as it always does. San managed to solo the battle against Lt. Surge and evolved into Sandslash at the battle's end--after which, Lt. Surge handed over the Orange (Thunder) Badge and TM 24 Thunderbolt.

Current Roster
;008; Kame the Wartortle (Level 21)
;031; Nidoku the Nidoqueen (Level 22)
;017; Kotori the Pidgeotto (Level 22)
;012; Imo the Butterfree (Level 20)
;028; San the Sandslash (Level 22)
;044; Zassou the Gloom (Level 24)

Nenriki the Abra (Level 12)
Nyan the Meowth (Level 12)

- I can only catch the first Pokemon I encounter on any route. Gift Pokemon and trades can be used, but will count as the single Pokémon that I obtain in that location.
- Any Pokemon that is Knocked Out is considered "deceased" and will be boxed. (Why release them when I can transfer them to my my Gen VII games?) If my whole team is Knocked Out, it is Game Over.
- Dupes clause in effect: that is, I can only have one member of any evolutionary family on hand at any time. If a representative of a line is Knocked Out, I cannot replace it with another.

Last edited:

AmethystLeslie

VC Crystal Nuzlocke day 8. I knew I'd get story progress and encounters out of the way today, so I'm expected to grind tomorrow.

I did Team Rocket at Goldenrod, and Carnasie had her time to shine after learning Psybeam, sweeping 80% of all the Pokemon Team Rocket had on them. The switch-opening maze was super troubling to me, so i was just opening random switches until i stumbled my way out of that maze. Okay, sure. After all that, I made my way to Route 44 onward and took on every trainer I can from there to Route 46. I might even register some trainers for some high level rematches. I've seen Clair's team, and it looks like a doozy. Looks like Carnasie's gonna put in some work, cuz I'm just scared of Surf, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt coming from either of her Dragonair, and Carnasie's the only one in my party not weak to any of the three. Gulp.

Catches of the day:
Flatlands (Lickitung, Route 44)
Auburndale (Swinub, Ice Cave)
Crown Heights (Magikarp, Blackthorn City) (shortened to CrownHeigh)
Cobble Hill (Graveler, Route 45) (shortened to CobbleHill)

Current team:
Carnasie the Venomoth, level 39
Old Howard the Gyarados, level 39
Sheepshead the Pidgeotto, level 38
Queensboro the Crobat, level 37
Douglaston the Golem, level 36
Versailles the Meganium, level 37

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
VC Pokemon Ao Nuzlocke

Session #5

The next Routes and Rock Tunnel came and went, and I made numerous contributions to my PC box along the way. I was in high spirits when I first arrived in Lavender Town and later, Celadon City.

That was before I suffered my first casualty: Nenriki the Abra-turned-Kadabra, Level 25. (I spent so much time leveling it...!) It was clinging to life after a particularly nasty Critical strike from the Team Rocket Grunt in the Celadon Game Corner's Raticate left it at 1 HP. Our foe mercilessly delivered a finishing Quick Attack before I could react. (Yep, I turn my attention away for one second, and, well...) I laid it to rest in the PC.

I was planning to swap a team member for the Eevee I'd pick up from the Pokemon Mansion--I guess that would be Nenriki.

My next adorable addition I named Boost and hastened to the Celadon Department Store to buy a Fire Stone for. And like that, it was a Flareon! I took the opportunity to purchase some other things (mostly TMs) while there: one item of note was a Leaf Stone, which I intend to use on Zassou the Gloom later on. I returned to the scene of Nenriki's demise and casually inspected the poster nearby. Hidden beneath it was a switch, which revealed a secret passageway into none other than a Rocket base. I instantly felt the need to crash their party in Nenriki's memory.

What followed was a whirlwind of battles with grunts, seemingly endless tile-propelled twirling through mazes, and a battle with none other than the head of Team Rocket himself: Giovanni! Kame got the job done with its powerful Water Gun against Giovanni's Onix and Rhyhorn. The final match-up against Kangaskhan was all Nidoku the Nidoqueen's. She nearly one-shot it with Counter after sustaining a critical Bite blow. Giovanni wasted the next turn using a battle item, leaving his 'mon wide open to a Body Slam. On his way out, Giovanni left behind the Silph Scope. Nifty.

Next up: Celadon Gym and Erika!

Current Roster
;008; Kame the Wartortle (Level 28)
;031; Nidoku the Nidoqueen (Level 28)
;017; Kotori the Pidgeotto (Level 26)
;028; San the Sandslash (Level 27)
;044; Zassou the Gloom (Level 28)
;136; Boost the Flareon (Level 27)

Nenriki the Kadabra (Level 25)
Died to Celadon Game Corner Rocket's Raticate

Imo the Butterfree (Level 20)
Mogura the Diglett (Level 22)
Nezumi the Rattata (Level 16)
Booru the Voltorb (Level 14)
Goro the Geodude (Level 17)
Nemui the Drowzee (Level 13)
Koinu the Growlithe (Level 17)

Last edited:

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
VC Pokemon Ao Nuzlocke

Session #6

Erika's Gym was practically soloed by Kotori, whose Fly enabled it to quash any potential threat. The one exception was Erika's Tangela, which I left to Zassou the Gloom's Acid.

I returned to Lavender and its Tower to find my rival doing... nothing on the second floor. Here's how the battle at Pokemon Tower went:

San => Pidgeotto, OHKO w/Rock Slide
Kame => Gyarados, took a number of Ice Beams, a Super Potion, and a Bite to take the beast down
Nidoku => Growlithe, two Body Slams did the trick
Kotori => Kadabra, OHKO w/Fly
Boost => Ivysaur, long and tedious, but I Tackled and Quick Attacked away. Though it was able to Leech Seed and Poison it. I switched out for Zassou the instant my rival used a Potion. Then all it took was a few Acids

It was a mad dash to the Pokemon Center to heal Boost. I then restocked on items before proceeding. I calmed Cubone's mother, chased away some Rocket Grunts, and rescued Old Man Fuji. He presented me the Poke Flute for freeing him. With it, I was able to wake both snoozing Snorlax. I captured one and named it Inemuri.

A little later, another casualty occurred during a battle against a Biker's Weezing on the Cycling Path: Kotori the Pidgeotto (Level 33). It was the strongest of my team, and my Flier, as well as one of my earliest captures. You shall be missed. I switched out for my latest capture, Dory the Doduo (Level 28). It was itching to prove itself, I could tell. It wasn't long before it evolved into a Dodrio.

I carried on from both sides to Fuchsia, stopped into the Safari Zone to pick up some goodies (including the warden's gold teeth and HM 03 Surf) and made four exciting captures, one in each Area. I stumbled across a few Chansey, but couldn't catch them. Oh well.

I gave one of the guards who refused to grant me passage Fresh Water so I could finally enter Saffron... which is flooded with Team Rocket hoodlums! I decided to investigate further and found the Silph Co. corporate center teeming with Rocket Grunts and Scientists! I fought my way through ten floors of madness before casually bumping into my rival... again.

Kame => Pidgeot, two Ice Beams was all I needed
Kame => Gyarados--speaking of Ice Beams, the first one froze the beast, allowing me to fell it hassle-free
San => Growlithe, one Earthquake was all it took
Dory => Alakazam, which managed to get a single Confusion in before it crumbled to a single Drill Peck
Boost => Venusaur. I was expecting this match-up to be as tedious as last time... until Boost landed a critical hit with Ember, nearly wiping his 'mon of all his HP. A single Quick Attack got the job done. I was victorious.

What an inopportune time and place for a battle. One of the workers nearby rewarded me with a Lapras, which I named Las. It was a hop, a skip, and a jump to the top floor and the President's suite. Inside, I discovered none other than Giovanni holding the company head and his secretary hostage!

This is how the battle went down:

Kame => Nidorino. Two Surfs did Nidorino in, but not before it was able to poison Kame with a Poison Sting
Nidoku => Kangaskhan. This was a tense fight: Nidoku was Bitten and Comet Punched a few times while returning the favor with Counter and Body Slam. Kangaskhan hung on with a sliver of health... until it Nidoku made it taste Poison Sting pain
Zassou => Rhyhorn, it fell to one Mega Drain
San => Nidoqueen, it was hurting bad after one Earthquake, the second ended the battle in my favor

Giovanni, utterly beaten, soon recalled his lackeys and fled the premises. The president entrusted me with the Master Ball in show of his gratitude.

Next up? Fuchsia Gym!

Current Roster
;009; Kame the Blastoise (Level 37)
;031; Nidoku the Nidoqueen (Level 38)
;028; San the Sandslash (Level 38)
;044; Zassou the Gloom (Level 36)
;136; Boost the Flareon (Level 36)
;085; Dory the Dodrio (Level 36)

Died to Celadon Game Corner Rocket's Raticate
Kotori the Pidgeotto (Level 33)
Died to a Biker's Weezing on the Cycling Path

Gas the Gastly (Level 23)
Inemuri the Snorlax (Level 30)
Henshin the Ditto (Level 26)
Hayai the Scyther (Level 23)
Ryuu the Dratini (Level 15)
Namete the Lickitung (Level 25)
Dokuga the Venomoth (Level 32)
Las the Lapras (Level 15)

Last edited:

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
VC Pokemon Ao Nuzlocke

Session #7

Made a quick pitstop at the Fighting Dojo, which Dory soloed with its Drill Peck, OHKO'ing everything in its path. I took Hitmonchan from the Master and named it Walar.

Against Koga, I used Nidoku and San. I was wary of his Weezing especially, since I knew it knew Self-Destruct. It had the opportunity to use the accursed thing, but San tanked the hit. Koga acknowledged that he was beaten and gave me the Pink (Soul) Badge and TM 06 Toxic.

I sadly suffered another loss before facing Sabrina: Nidoku the Nidoqueen (Level 39). She fell to a Psychic's Slowbro. She was my first capture. I replaced her with Hitogata the Jynx (Level 39), a recent addition hailing from Seafoam*, permanently.

Hitogata showed her stuff against Sabrina, pulling no punches as she went toe-to-toe against her entire team. The final match against her Alakazam was grueling, with it stalling by spamming Recover nonstop. It took exhausting all Hitogata's PP to earn us the Gold (Marsh) Badge and a free TM.

It was a pretty uneventful trek to Cinnabar, with the exception of finally evolving Zassou into a Vileplume on the way there. I explored the abandoned Mansion to find the key needed to unlock the seventh Gym.

Kame singlehandedly cleared the path to Blaine--I didn't bother with the quizzes. San handled the fight against Blaine, with only the latter's Rapidash managing to damage it with Fire Spin. It was pathetic. He handed over the Crimson (Volcano) Badge in recognition of his sound defeat.

In the final Gym back at Viridian, I found myself pitted against who else but Giovanni.

Kame => Rhyhorn, one Surf
Zassou => Dugtrio. It tried Sand-Attacking, but it did little good against Zassou's Mega Drain
San => Nidoqueen. A single Earthquake wasn't sufficient. Its Body Slam critical hit and paralyzed, as did Scratch. San returned the favor with a critical Slash of its own
Hitogata => Nidoking. Although it was still hanging after one Psychic, Giovanni wasted his next turn with a battle item. Hitogata struck home with Ice Punch
Kame => Rhydon. Second verse, same as the first

At last, the Green (Earth) Badge was ours. Time to face Victory Road and the Pokemon League! (And grind... a lot.)

Current Roster
;009; Kame the Blastoise (Level 44)
;028; San the Sandslash (Level 44)
;045; Zassou the Vileplume (Level 43)
;136; Boost the Flareon (Level 41)
;085; Dory the Dodrio (Level 43)
;124; Hitogata the Jynx (Level 43)

Died to a Rocket Grunt's Raticate at the Celadon Game Corner
Kotori the Pidgeotto (Level 33)
Died to a Biker's Weezing on the Cycling Path
Nidoku the Nidoqueen (Level 39)
Died to a Psychic's Slowbro in the Saffron City Gym

Gas the Gastly (Level 23)
Inemuri the Snorlax (Level 30)
Henshin the Ditto (Level 26)
Hayai the Scyther (Level 23)
Ryuu the Dratini (Level 15)
Namete the Lickitung (Level 25)
Dokuga the Venomoth (Level 32)
Las the Lapras (Level 15)
Walar the Hitmonchan (Level 30)
Meno the Tentacool (Level 20)
Hedoro the Grimer (Level 30)
Tsurujyou the Tangela (Level 28)
Chuupi the Pikachu (Level 24)

*Jynx can be found in the wild in Japanese Blue.

Last edited:

AmethystLeslie

VC Crystal Nuzlocke Day ... something. Man, Puyo Puyo Tetris really did a number on me, cuz I played that game, beat it, and 100%-ed it before taking on the Pokemon League, and I'm still grinding for it.

I never did talk about the Clair fight itself, where I relied on Carnasie for sweeping the Dragonair, Versailles for Kingdra and Light Screen support, and Old Howard for tanking hits while I healed the other 2. Versailles survived by the skin of its teeth, with 6HP. Thank... God. Then I did the normal old story stuff, counted the gift E-Speed Dratini as my encounter for Dragon's Den, and I made it a team member to replace Sheepshead. Why not, I want to use a Dragonite. Also, I just noticed that with Dratini in and Pidgeot gone, only my starter is male and everyone is a female.

I then went through Route 27 and 28, then Victory Road, and everything's fine so far. Now I really need to hope I don't lose anyone at all ever cuz I really like this team and I'd like to beat Red with them. Currently grinding for E4, want to make everyone 50+, but Dratini, now Dragonair (named Sunnyside) will be a Dragonite. Yeah, this is partially why I put off all this grinding for so long, especially since the entire team began at early 40s or in the case of Sunnyside, level 15. I'm getting there, tho.

Encounters since last time:
Sunnyside (gift E-Speed Dratini, Dragon’s Den)
Manor Heights (Exeggcute, Route 27) (shortened to ManorHeigh)
Hell's Kitchen, Clinton (Golbat, Tohjo Falls) (shortened to Kitchen)
Koreatown (Onix, Victory Road)
Red Hook (Doduo, Route 28)

Current team (levels as of writing):
Old Howard the Gyarados, level 48
Versailles the Meganium, level 43
Douglaston the Golem, level 41
Carnasie the Venomoth, level 42
Queensboro the Crobat, level 42
Sunnyside the Dragonair, level 41