• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

1st/2nd Gen Recent Happenings Thread

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I've been busy trying to soft reset for a shiny starter in Silver version. Still no luck on it yet. Hoping it comes sooner rather than later though.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Today, I looked around Pewter City. I talked to various NPCs and received the Silver Wing. I didn't go to the Gym, though, since I think I'm going to save the Kanto Gyms for later.

After that, I headed back down to Viridian and explored that city as well. One thing I did there was visit the Trainer House, where I fought Cal downstairs. My Typhlosion & Dragonair handled his team pretty well.
Next, I continued down to Pallet Town. There wasn't too much to do there, but I did go into the lab and Red & Blue's houses.

Once I was finished with Viridian and Pallet, I returned to Pewter City and then headed to Route 3. Walking along that route, I battled a few trainers before reaching Mt. Moon. Inside, I encountered my rival once again and battled him. My Miltank and Ampharos made the fight much easier than I was expecting it to be.

With my rival defeated, I went through Mt. Moon and Route 4, which took me back to Cerulean. At that point, I decided to go back to Johto for a little bit since there were a couple of trainer rematches I wanted to do. I also went to my house back in Newbark to decorate my room; I got my mom to start saving my money just before the Elite Four, and she'd purchased some dolls for me. I found Clefairy & Charmander dolls in my PC and put them on display.

Dr. Eeviil

I even decided to breed for a Cyndaquil and Chikorita proper, so that the dex knows I actually obtained them. I caught a Ditto just for this purpose, and it took me over a day for both eggs to hatch. I know my schedule sucks, but damn, that's a long time!

If you're going to use a Ditto for that, you need to get one with a different trainer ID. Otherwise, as you found out, it takes way too long to get anything. I've already got 2 different 3DS's so I just trading over one from my Yellow game.

I've already got a living pokedex in Pokemon Bank, so right now I'm working on re-filling 1-251 with pokemon that are actually from a Gen I or Gen II VC game.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I disturbed the Usokkie at Route 36 using the Zenigame Watering Can, which caused it to attack. I paid a visit to Kikyou City after capturing it, and then when I had finished exchanging Pokemon, I went to Route 37 and collected a few Bonguri Berries and captured an Odoshishi. I was now in Enju City and I did some shopping, then I picked up some items and decided to visit the Burned Tower. I didn't get far at first since my rival appeared. I defeated him fast however, and I went down to the basement floor of the Burned Tower and spotted Entei, Raikou, and Suikun on a mound. They fled in a rush after awakening, then I went to the Enju Gym to earn my next Badge. I was secretly dreading this Gym, but decided to get it over with.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Back in Kanto, I returned to Lavender Town. After stopping by the Pokemon Center and mart, I headed north to Rock Tunnel, since I hadn't gone through it yet. I wasn't really looking forward to the cave, but fortunately it wasn't that bad. It was much smaller/shorter than I'd remembered it being in this game.

After that, I flew back to Saffron. From there, I walked over to Celadon City and began looking around. I went to the mansion, where I obtained the Curse TM, and then went to the department store. I briefly checked out the Game Corner, too.

Next, I rode down Cycling Road. I fought several Bikers, and was able to catch a Grimer after having a couple flee from battle. Soon after, I made it to Fuchsia City.

The last thing I did was train my Pokemon a bit more. Back in Viridian City, I went back to the Trainer House and fought Cal once again. Then, I headed all the way to Olivine to take the SS Aqua. I battled all the trainers on the ship (brought back a lot of memories from my training days in Gold!), which was good training for my Typhlosion and Dragonair.

AmethystLeslie

If you're going to use a Ditto for that, you need to get one with a different trainer ID. Otherwise, as you found out, it takes way too long to get anything. I've already got 2 different 3DS's so I just trading over one from my Yellow game.

First of all, i was referring to the actual hatching of the eggs taking a long time. Obtaining the eggs themselves was relatively less tedious. Second of all, I don't have the finances to just buy the other version on another 3DS.

JohnLynch

After learning that Ultra Sun is a team up of all the past villains, I decided to replay them in order from start to finish. The game order is: Blue (VC), Gold (VC), Sapphire (GBA), Platinum (DS), White (DS), White 2 (DS), Y (3DS), Sun (3DS) and then finally Ultra Sun (3DS). This way I can not only get the full metastory and be ready to get the full effect of the story in Ultra Sun, but I get to see the evolution of Pokemon games over the past 20 years.

Booting up Blue, I had forgotten how primitive the graphics look. It looked blurry until I restarted and got the original resolution with the green-tinge going. Now it looks like it did back in the day. I'm skeptical my gameboy screen was ever THAT small, but everything on the internet seems to say it was.

I pick my name as being JOHN and have my rival named RED. I didn't realise back in the day that the anime had little to no connection with the game and so I always named the rival Gary. At some point I'll likely play Yellow in which case I'll name the rival Gary for that.

I go over to Professor Oak's lab only to have RED there and no OAK. So I went to Gary's house and still couldn't find Professor Oak. So I tried my house and apparently the Professor's looking for me. Eventually I go into the green grass and that's when he comes out of hiding.

I picked my starter pokemon as the one I had back in the day (in the original Pokemon Red cartridge): Bulbasaur. I did a run through of FireRed a few years ago (which I only just recently finished) with Squirtle, so I figured I'd go a classic this time. I then had to fight my rival and holy crap is the fight brutal. I'd luckily picked up a potion from my PC because I needed it. I then defeated RED and levelled.

I headed into the grass for my first fight and I immediately needed to rest afterwards. I eventually make it to Viridian City (no trainer battles), pick up the parcel and then head back to Palette town and get my Pokedex. After heading back to Viridian City I get some pokeballs and then start catching Pokemon. I get a rattata and a pidgey. I used both of those in my run through for Pokemon FireRed though, so I won't be using them in this game. I went on to catch a nidoran(f). No nidoran(m)s though. At first I wasn't sure if that was due to them being exclusive to Red or if I was just unlucky. I eventually get a caterpie up past Viridian City (which i decide to keep) and then a Spearow out where the nidorans are (and then a nidoran(m)). I considered keeping one of my nidoran's in my party, but then I discovered bulbasaur is a green/poison Pokemon (it's been a long time since I've played with bulbasaur). Once caterpie evolves to butterfree (and it's already a metapod) then that will be my primary flying Pokemon. So I put all of the Pokemon into the PC except for bulbasaur and metapod.

I'm finally convinced I won't be getting a mankey here (not sure why I thought I would). I remember grinding a lot in this area, and I don't know if it's because I wanted a spearow or if the game was just that hard. With a couple of potions in my inventory, I went up to face RED and beat him. Bulbasaur took care of his pidgey (funnily enough, no message about pidgey's gust move being super-effective) and then metapod took down charmander (which spent most of it's time growling), although metapod did require a potion to achieve victory.

With RED defeated and my party Pokemon at level 9 and 11, I've decided to head into the Viridian Forest.

One of the things I found quite funny, was despite not having played this game (on the gameboy) for over 15 years, I instantly reverted back to pressing start for the menu and select to move my powers around. That's muscle memory for you.

You can see a spreadsheet of my current Pokemon I've caught for Pokemon Blue over here.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I started walking along the dark floor of the Enju Gym while defeating opponents and carefully watching my steps to avoid the warping tiles. I faced Matsuba at the rear of the Gym which resulted in a tedious match, just as I'd feared. After finally clearing Matsuba's Ghost-types including his devastating Gangar, I received the Phantom Badge. With that settled, I focused on reviving half of my team next, and then I visited the Enju Dance Hall. I defeated the five Dancing Girls inside, got the Surf HM, and prepared to set off to Asagi City. I passed through Route 38 and defeated trainers while also capturing some wild Pokemon. I stopped by the Moomoo Ranch when I arrived at Route 39, too.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Today, I flew back to Indigo Plateau to rematch my rival. His team was pretty close to mine level-wise, with his Feraligatr being higher than all of my team members, but he was still pretty easy for me. A couple of my Pokemon got down to low HP, but nobody fainted.

After that, I flew back to Fuchsia City. I talked to the NPCs around town, learned about the Safari Zone's closure, and then headed out to Routes 14-15. I fought the trainers and then wandered into the tall grass on Route 14...where I found a Chansey! I tried weakening it with my Farfetch'd Fly slave, but that didn't work too well since the Chansey had Softboiled and Minimize. My Politoed managed to hit with Hypnosis, though. Then, I caught Chansey on my first Ultra Ball!

Next, I returned to Vermilion and took the ship back to Olivine since I wanted to fight that set of trainers. Those battles helped me get my whole team to level 49. Once I made it to Olivine, I went back to Newbark Town to adjust my game's clock, then made my way back to Kanto. Next time, I'll continue along the routes leading back up to Lavender Town.

Evil Darkrai

After grinding Jynx to be the same level as the rest of my team, I've finally defeated Clair and done her little errand in Dragon's Den. With that I've finally collected all eight badges in Johto. I went to Whirl Islands to catch Lugia before I set off to Kanto, which I managed to do with an Ultra Ball, Recover and safeguard gave me so much trouble, but finally managed to put it to sleep and whittle it's health down. After doing that I headed to New Bark Town and surfed over to Kanto and I have made it through Tohjo Falls and saved at the house with the girl that heals your Pokemon. I've called it there for now, but when I go back on it i'm going to continue my journey to the Indigo Plateau and challenge the Elite Four and Champion.

Flamer

Wandered up Route 35 and caught a Pidgey, but couldn't go any further because of the Sudowoodu tree. Was at a slight loss as to what to do next. I'd beaten Whitney, but the top floors of the radio tower were still blocked off, and I hadn't found a card key or whatever to get into the secret entrance I'd found in the underground. Then remembered I was supposed to call Prof Elm once Togepi had hatched, which had happened a while ago. He asked me to come back to New Bark Town. Had a letter to deliver too, and needed to level up my new Pidgey, so decided to head back.

Stopped in Azela Town to pick up my custom Pokeball from Kurt. Gave him another apricorn. Dropped the letter off on the way, and received a Nightmare TM as thanks. Was expecting the guy to take the Spearow holding the letter, but he didn't, so guess I'll have to look after that for a while. Don't intend on making it part of my team long term, but it can stay while I've got a free slot. Turns out he did take the Spearow, not that it really matters

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
Finished exploring all the routes connecting Fuchsia and Lavender. I mainly used my Dragonair in the trainer fights, since I really want to get it to evolve soon. It reached level 52 from all of those battles.
While walking along, I also obtained the Super Rod and found a few other items.

Once I made it back to Lavender Town, I flew back to Viridian. After fighting Cal again at the Trainer House, I made my way back to Pallet Town, where I saved. Next time, I'll probably head down to Cinnabar.

Flamer

Received a phone call from one of the Hikers I'd battle earlier, telling me there was a swarm of Dunsparce in Dark Cave. Since I was literally next to the cave entrance when I got the call, I decided to go catch one. Then continued to make my way down to New Bark, and once there I showed Togepi to Prof Elm. He was pretty amazed, and gave me an Everstone to say thanks.

That whole trip didn't seem to have advanced my quest much, so decided to return to Goldenrod City. Picked up another Pokeball from Kurt, and Pidgey evolved on the way, so guess that was something.

Once back in Goldenrod I started looking for clues on how to progress. Visiting the house next to the gym, I talk to a woman tending to her flowers, who gave me the squirtbottle I need to get past the Sudowoodu tree. Finally back on track, I left Goldenrod and headed up past the daycare. It was Tuesday, so stopped by the park for my first Bug Catching contest. Caught a lv14 Venonat, but it wasn't enough to get me in the top 3

Leonhart

Imagineer
I continued walking through Route 39 after having visited the nearby farm, and I defeated the last couple of trainers before reaching Asagi City. I briefly spoke with Silver, then I visited a few buildings by the harbor, including the Mart and Pokemon Center. I knew that Mikan the Gym Leader wasn't at the Asagi Gym, and I had to find her at the Asagi Lighthouse. As I climbed up the floors, I fought trainers and made it to the summit soon. Mikan was tending to her sick Denryu, so she asked me to procure the Secret Medicine in Tanba City across the sea. Since I needed to win the Shock Badge in Tanba City anyway, I accepted Mikan's errand and went to Route 40's shoreline so that I could Surf across it.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Yesterday, I Surfed down to Cinnabar Island. It did not take that long, since there were fewer trainers along the way than I'd remembered.

I fought all of the trainers on the way to Cinnabar using just my Dragonair, which helped it level up again. I didn't feel like heading over to the Seafoam Islands just yet, but I really wanted to evolve Dragonair at last...so after healing at the Cinnabar Pokemon Center, I backtracked to some previous areas around Johto & Kanto to train Dragonair some more. After a while, I finally got it to level 55, allowing it to become a Dragonite. Now, my team is complete at last!

Returned to Cinnabar after all that. Next time, I'll continuing Surfing, and will train my other team members since they're all low in level compared to Dragonite now lol.

Team:
;157; ;181; ;186; ;028; ;149; ;241;
Lv. 49-55

Flamer

Made my way up to Ecruteak City. Sprayed the Sudowoodu tree who was blocking the way with the squirt bottle, then captured it after it attacked. Once there I hit the gym. The trainers there exclusively had Ghost type Pokemon, which meant I only had 3 offensive moves across my whole party that would effected them. Furret had to sit this one out, and Watson III, (Drowzee) didn't really have the firepower to go toe to toe with them in super-effective matchups, so that left just Pigeotto and Quilava. They did a good job, and apart from one scare against Morty's Gengar I was able to get the badge fairly easily.

The next day I went to the dance studio, and battled the Kamino girls. After missing the gym battles, I let Furret lead on most them. After I'd beaten all four, the director save me a Surf HM. Technically Furret can learn it, but it feels a little silly to be surfing on a Furret, so going to have to catch myself a proper surfer.

After that I left Ecruteak City and headed across route 38 and down route 39. Stopped off at the farm and found a sick Miltank in the barn, but didn't have a Berry to heal it with, so carried on down to Olivine City

Aquarelle

Staff member
On Cinnabar Island, I talked to Blue and got him to go back to the Viridian Gym. With that done, I was finished with the island, so I continued Surfing onto Route 20.

Routes 20 & 19 weren't too eventful, I just mostly fought trainers. I landed on the Seafoam Islands briefly, but didn't do much there.
Eventually, I reached Fuchsia City again.

Now that I've fully explored Kanto, I think I'll finally start challenging Kanto's Gym Leaders next time.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I crossed Route 40 and arrived at Route 41, which was just another patch of sea with the four Whirlpool Islands situated in the center. I defeated the various trainers who were swimming among the waves, and I visited Tanba City's pharmacy when I got ashore. I got the medicine that Mikan needed to cure her Denryu with, and I visited a few homes as well before I decided to challenge the Tanba Gym. I moved boulders inside in my hurry to reach Shijima, then I battled him when I had won against every other trainer. My Yorunozuku beat Shijima's two Fighting-types, and I was awarded with the Shock Badge. I got the Fly Secret Machine outside.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Today, I did a little training before beginning my Kanto Gym challenge. I rematched my rival at Indigo Plateau and then battled the trainers on the SS Aqua. That got my whole team to level 50+.

Next, I flew to Pewter City and headed over to the Gym. After defeating the Gym trainer, I fought Brock. He was really easy - my Politoed Surfed his Rock/Ground types, while my Ampharos ThunderPunched Kabutops & Omastar.

After that, I returned to Cerulean. First, I had to go up to the cape to get Misty to return to the Gym. Once that was done, I went to the Gym, too, and fought the Swimmers. I then battled Misty and defeated most of her team using Ampharos. When Quagsire came out, I switched over to Sandslash, since it was my lowest levelled Pokemon. Quagsire just used Amnesia, so Sandslash was able to 2HKO it with Earthquake without taking any damage.

So, I'm up to 10 badges total now. I'll do the Vermilion Gym next.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I had finished every single important task in Tanba City, so I decided to head back to Asagi City using Fly. I climbed up the Lighthouse and gave Mikan the medicine that she'd asked me to fetch for her. When her Denryu was fully cured, Mikan left the building to await my challenge at the Mikan Gym. I did some Pokemon exchanging on the PC next, then I went to face Mikan. I defeated her team of Steel-types using Guardie and Goriky, then I attained the Steel Badge. With six Gym Badges in hand, I prepared to visit Chouji Town, which was past Mt. Suribachi. I went through Enju City again and collected Bonguri Berries at Route 42. Once I was in Chouji Town, I realized that I needed to pay the Lake of Rage a visit. I walked through Route 43 and saw some Rocket-dan grunts at one of the gates.