• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

1st/2nd Gen Recent Happenings Thread

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
VC Silver - Took a bit of detour to catch some Pokemon before obtaining the Dragon Fang to appease Clair in order to get my eighth badge and found a Tauros, which I succeeded in catching in a Friend Ball. While in the Dragon's Den I found a female Dratini which I caught and named Sageo. Last night I participated in my first Bug-Catching Contest, and caught a Pinsir, a Scyther, a Beedrill, and a Butterfree. I didn't win, but I kept the Butterfree, which I named Daisho. I'll try to win next week.

I then climbed Mt. Mortar in order to get Tyrogue from the Karate Master. In the process, my Quilava finally evolved into Typlosion!

Next stop is Whirl Islands.

;157; (Shirasaya)
;181; (Kikusui)
;130; * (Douran)
;195; (Tanagobara)
;227; (Ginsuji)
;124; (Midare)

I'm thinking of transferring some Pokemon over to my Gen VII games soon.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Today, I went back through the Mt. Silver cave to fight Red. Overall, it was a pretty easy battle:

Pikachu: My Sandslash OHKOed it with Earthquake, despite getting its Attack reduced by Charm
Venusaur: It just started absorbing sunlight in preparation for Solar Beam, so my Typhlosion was able to 2HKO with Flamethrower without taking damage.
Espeon: Fortunately, my Miltank was faster than it. Miltank took away over half of Espeon's HP with Shadow Ball, survived Psychic, then finished Espeon off on the next turn.

Snorlax: This was the toughest of Red's Pokemon to defeat, as I'd expected. My Dragonite eventually hit it with DynamicPunch - after several misses and getting paralyzed by Body Slam - and got Snorlax to yellow HP. Snorlax fainted after a few more turns, thanks to hitting itself in confusion and Dragonite's Fly (didn't want to try to get DynamicPunch to hit again). Luckily for me, Snorlax never used Rest (which I forgot it had in the first place).
Blastoise: It hit my Ampharos with Surf, while Ampharos hit it with ThunderPunch. On the next turn, Blastoise set up Rain Dance, while Ampharos finished it off.
Charizard: With Rain Dance active, my Politoed easily took it down with Surf.

So, Red was defeated with help from all six of my team members. Next time, I'll probably start really working on the Pokedex.

My team:
;157; ;181; ;186; ;028; ;149; ;241;
All level 65

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
For Christmas, I used the two Gamestop gift cards I got, along with a timely promotion, to buy pre-owned copies of Pokemon Stadium 2, Red, and Blue.

Amazingly, Stadium 2 already had Doduo GB unlocked which has made level grinding much easier than I remember as a kid. I had to mute the game though because the sped up tunes were messing with my head a bit. I was also able to use the previous Red save file and the Color Case to give Squirtle access to Bubblebeam before the first gym. Made it to Mt. Moon last night, my current team consists of...

Jerry the Nidoran-M - Level 13 - knows Body Slam, again thanks to the previous save file :)
Bubbles the Squirtle - Level 13 - knows Mega Punch and Bubblebeam
Happy the Pikachu - Level 11ish

I also caught a Weedle and named it Senor only to find out once I registered it on a Little Cup team that it was female :p On the plus side, it's one of those alternate colors you get from nicknaming your Pokemon so that's kinda cool :)

bloodghoul

Porygon2 - DoomDuck!
So been quite a bit more since my last update on my Gold VC playthrough.

We had left off just before facing Morty. Now he was alot easier than I expected I taught Usokkie dig, combined with confusion on Yadosheru he didnt really stand a chance.
The team headed onwards to Olivine City, beating all possible trainers, we are going to be the best and no one will stand in our way. During this Ureshii finally evolved into Togetic!

Making our way up the Lighthouse we gained more levels and promised Jasmine to get the medicine for the Ampharos.
Heading across the sea we searched out all possible trainers, gaining as much experience as we could.

On the shores of Cainwood, we trained some more, wanting to be as strong as possible before taking on Chuck. Heading into his gym we challenged him ... and what .. he only has 2 pokemon?! I dont remember this xD ... Primeape lost to Bakugo's Flame Wheel and Poliwrath fell to the newly evolved Dafad's Thunderpunch.
We gained our new badge and promised a scared guy to look after his Shuckie.

Back to Olivine and headed up the lighthouse to deliver the medicine. Jasmine finally said she would battle us. Hot on the heels of our last Gym Challenge we went straight there, and .... We are under levelled?! .... But no problem. Bakugo with his Flame Wheel and Dafad with his Fire Punch were the stars of the show once again. Another leader beaten and another badge claimed.

Now onwards once again to Mahogany Town ... maybe we will find out 6th Team member soon. Another friend will be nice ... who that is we will have to wait and see

Team
;156; - Bakugo - Level 32
;079; - Yadosheru - Level 31
;176; - Ureshii - Level 30
;185; - Usokkie - Level 30
;181; - Dafad - Level 30

Aquarelle

Staff member
Decided to start working on my Pokedex by catching Ho-Oh. I flew to Ecruteak City and headed over to the Tin Tower. Climbing up the tower wasn't as annoying as I thought, but it took me a little while since I went off-path a few times to get every item.

At the top, I saved and fought Ho-Oh. I forgot that it was only level 40 in Gold, so it was difficult to weaken it without KOing it. After my Ampharos paralyzed it, I just spammed Fire Punch since I thought ThunderPunch would be too risky. When Ho-Oh's HP was low, I started using Ultra Balls. It broke out of quite a few, then used Recover. I then tried a couple of Ultra Balls while it was at full HP, and the second one caught it lol.

I might try to catch Lugia next time, but that depends if I really feel like going through the Whirl Islands.

bloodghoul

Porygon2 - DoomDuck!
We last left on our way to Mahogany Town. However we decided to take a detour and have a little vacation at the Game Corner in Goldenrod, after gambling our life savings away, we had our last friend and team-member. Kairyu the Dratini. Kairyu is the Japanese name for Dragonite.
Joining our squad at level 10, we took Kairyu for training on our way to Mahogany Town.

We headed up to the Lake of Rage, were we met a magnificent sight ... a RED Gyarados ... we caught this beast and it sits calmly in our PC. Then a strange fellow called Lance asked for our help. Turns out Team Rocket is back and causing trouble. Well no problem we put an end to their escapades in the town. All was calm again so we went and faced the Gym leader.

Pryce stood no chance against Bakugo and Dafad .... these two are really carrying the team through the gyms at the moment, but the others pull their weight on the journeys there. Once we got out of the gym ready to celebrate our 7th Badge we recieved a call. Turns out Team Rocket want more trouble. So back to Goldrenrod once more to tell them to stop being naughty and beating all their behinds. This time they seem to have dissappeared for good.

Finally we can have some peace and head for out last Johto badge, so through the Ice Path we went and trained some more whilst we journeyed. Once outside the Path we headed to the Pokecenter to heal up, ready for another challenge.

Team
;157; - Bakugo - Level 40
;080; - Yadosheru - Level 40
;176; - Ureshii - Level 40
;185; - Usokkie - Level 40
;181; - Dafad - Level 40
;148; - Kairyu - Level 40

Aquarelle

Staff member
Didn't want to go through the Whirl Islands tonight, but I worked on adding a few other Pokemon to my Pokedex instead.

I checked my dex and saw that I needed a Scyther, so the first thing I did was enter the Bug-Catching Contest to get one. After quite a few encounters, I finally found one. My Ampharos paralyzed it, but I left it at full health since all of my attacks would OHKO it. I eventually caught the Scyther after having to use about half of my Park Balls.
When the contest was over, I ended up winning and received my first Sun Stone on this game!

After that, I evolved a few Pokemon by leveling them up. I did most of my training on Mt. Silver. I evolved Sentret, Remoraid, and a Weedle all the way to Beedrill.

My Pokedex is at 73 owned.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
VC Silver - Made plenty of progress since my last post. I've beaten two Bug-Catching Contests in a row, beat the Elite Four and Lance (barely!), and started collecting Kanto badges. I've only taken on Surge so far.

After tracking down the last Rocket grunt and obtaining the special radio card through the whole complex process, I was miraculously able to catch the game's single Snorlax. I somehow managed with a Great Ball. His name is Hataraki, and he's a powerhouse, that's for certain.

;157; (Shirasaya)
;181; (Kikusui)
;130; * (Douran)
;195; (Tanagobara)
;164; (Kissaki)
;143; (Hataraki)

Aquarelle

Staff member
Tonight, I went around Johto and caught a bunch of Pokemon for my Pokedex. I started out on the routes neighbouring Goldenrod and the Ilex Forest. In those areas, the Pokemon I caught included Oddish, Psyduck, and the Nidorans. While in Goldenrod, I also went to the Game Corner and got some coins to buy an Abra and Ekans.

After that, I went to a few other areas, including Route 32 (for Bellsprout & Wooper) and Dark Cave (Geodude).

In total, I ended up catching 14 new Pokemon, bringing my Pokedex up to 87 owned.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
VC Silver - I won my third Bug-Catching Contest last night with a Level 14 Pinsir. While en route to Kanto's Route's 7 for Houndour and Murkrow, I got a call from Schoolboy Chad about a wild Snubbull swarm and found one--a male--within seconds of arriving at Route 38. I named him Netsuke. I haven't taken on any other Gym Leaders yet.

;157; (Shirasaya)
;181; (Kikusui)
;130; * (Douran)
;195; (Tanagobara)
;164; (Kissaki)
;143; (Hataraki)

Has anyone else planned out their VC Crystal Version team? I've decided to go with Chikorita as my starter. Besides the eventual Meganium, my team will consist of Arcanine, Lapras, Crobat, Heracross, and Donphan. (I may switch out Donphan for Granbull, though.)

Aquarelle

Staff member
I began working on evolving the Pokemon I caught yesterday. I was able to evolve four of them tonight by fighting the Elite Four and using the Exp. Share.

First, I evolved Krabby into Kingler, which only required one level up since the Krabby was already level 40 when I caught it. After that, I spent the rest of that E4 run with the Exp. Share on my Machop. It was one level away from evolving once I'd fought everyone at the league, so after the credits were over I just fought a couple of Pokemon in Victory Road to get it to evolve into Machoke.

Next, I went through the league again with Abra & Ekans. Evolving them was pretty easy as I had Kadabra & Arbok by the time I defeated Bruno.

Manchee

extra toasty
So! I started playing Yellow more recently (bought it in August to play on a plane ride to Hawaii and then haven't played it since). Back in August I only managed to get to Viridian Forest and after turning it on last week I got up to Pewter and got my first badge against Brock. I'm currently on the route west of Pewter and I've mostly been training. My team consists of Pikachu, Pidgey, Rattata, Nidoran (f), Butterfree, and Sandshrew. The spring semester starts in a couple days, so I'm hoping I keep playing because I'd like to train these Pokémon, catch more, and see where it goes.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Yesterday, I added 9 more evolutions to my Pokedex, which brought my total owned to 100!

Three of the new Pokemon I added were stone evolutions. I evolved my Oddish into Gloom, then used the Sun Stone I won from the Bug Catching Contest to get Bellossom. After that, I checked my PC and found that I had 2 Moon Stones. I withdrew the Moon Stones along with my Nidorans from Bill's PC. I evolved the Nidorans into Nidorino & Nidorina, then used the stones to get Nidoking/queen.

Other Pokemon I evolved:
Wooper -> Quagsire
Bellsprout -> Weepinbell
Paras -> Parasect

Manchee

extra toasty
I've made it to Mt. Moon! With that, I've caught a Spearow, Mankey, and Zubat. I still would like to catch a Geodude and Clefairy before leaving Mt. Moon and (hopefully) continue to train and evolve each Pokémon available. I'm going to spend a good bit of time here in Mt. Moon to train and even out my team because right now they're all starting to scatter in terms of level and strength. Pidgey is so close to evolving, though! I'm really excited for him, he's been the leading strongest on my team for a while now (sorry Pikachu, lol)

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
VC Yellow - After realizing I desperately needed to take a break from SR'ing for shiny UBs in USUM, I took up my Pocket Monsters Pikachu game again. I cleared a bunch of gyms and knocked the socks off Team Rocket, foiling their schemes not once but thrice: first at Celadon Game Corner, then Lavendar Town's Pokemon Tower, then at Silph Co. headquarters. I took down Erika, Koga, and Sabrina along the way and snagged myself both Snorlax in the game. A surprise permanent addition to the team came in the form of a Dratini (Miniryuu) I caught in the Safari Zone. After tireless training, it is now on equal standing with the rest of my team as a formidable Dragonair (Hakuryuu). My next challenge is Cinnabar Gym.

;025; (Pikachu)
;003; (Fushigibana)
;006; (Lizardon)
;009; (Kamex)
;034; (Nidoking)
;148; (Hakuryuu)

VC Green - Out of boredom, I decided to continue where I had left off in my Pocket Monsters Midori Nuzlocke. With my trusty Ivysaur (Fushigisou) and newly-evolved Nidoqueen, I went ahead and tackled both Cerulean Gym and Route 24 without taking heed of the glitches I'd originally planned to try out. D'oh. (In my defense, I didn't know the glitch was exploitable in R/G(/B). I was under the assumption it only worked in Yellow.) I was nevertheless able to salvage a Mew encounter by using wild Diglett in Diglett's Cave in the place of trainers' Pokemon. While the New Species Pokemon needed to do some catching up beforehand, let me tell you: Mew is currently a powerhouse! Its Mega Punch blows away the competition--why, it made short work of my rival's team aboard the S.S. Anne. The marathon of battles prior wasn't exactly cakewalk, though. I nearly ran out of healing items in the end.

Once the vessel disembarked, I taught Cut to my Beedrill (Spear) and tried my hand at Lt. Surge's Gym, which turned out to be a snap thanks to Nidoqueen's Electric-type immunity. After tweaking the self-imposed Nuzlocke restrictions into what I've dubbed a "Glitchlocke", I set upon my next capture using a trainer in Rock Tunnel to trigger the glitch. Ultimately, my quarry there turned out to be Blastoise (Kamex)! Wow! As much as I'd like to transfer him to USUM, I think he'll make a great addition to my team. I'll just transfer the Level 7 Magmar I caught while testing the glitch instead. :D

Now here comes the annoying part: leveling him.

;002; (Fushigisou)
;031; (Nidoqueen)
;035; (Pippi)
;151; (Myuu)
;009; (Kamex)

??? (Undetermined)

I'm rather partial to the idea of catching a Chansey next--well, I would have been, if not for the fact that I just caught one in my Pocket Monsters Gin game. (And I caught that one in a Friend Ball. Blissey, here I come!)

I'm going to spend a good bit of time here in Mt. Moon to train and even out my team because right now they're all starting to scatter in terms of level and strength. Pidgey is so close to evolving, though! I'm really excited for him, he's been the leading strongest on my team for a while now (sorry Pikachu, lol)
The exact same thing happened to me years ago in my brother's cartridge version of Japanese Pikachu! Our trusty Pidgeot ended up drastically exceeding Pikachu all the way through the Elite Four.

Manchee

extra toasty
gonna try a little more formatting for funsies

Pokémon Yellow
;025; ;017; ;012; ;056; ;027; ;046;
pokédex: 16/151

current location: Route 25
update: Made it through Mt. Moon after catching all of the Pokémon available there (only needed one more after last night). Healed up in Cerulean and then defeated the two trainers in Misty's gym before healing again and taking on the nugget bridge trainers. Once they were all defeated, I healed once more and continued onto the next route to train before trying to get my second badge.
captures: Clefairy (Mt. Moon), Oddish (Route 24), Charmander (Route 25)
evolutions: none

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
VC Yellow - Upon crossing the Cinnabar Gym, it was time to face Blaine. He proved to be little in the way of a challenge thanks to Blastoise (Kamex), Nidoking, and Charizard (Lizardon). I wish the same could have been said for Giovanni: his Nidoking and Nidoqueen's Thunder gave me a run for my money, rendering Kamex and Lizardon useless. Fortunately, I had Dragonair (Hakuryuu) and Venusaur (Fushigibana) in the ranks. Pikachu... didn't do much of anything. It was a difficult battle, but we pulled through and won our eighth and final badge. At last, it was time to head to Victory Road... well, once I gave my rival the battle he wanted and he got out of my way.

VC Green - I continued with my Glitchlocke, forging through Rock Tunnel whilst leveling Kamex. I didn't neglect Pippi, since my plan is to hopefully evolve her (or him) into a Clefable. My next two catches turned out to be Pinsir (Kairos) before Celadon and Onix (Iwark) in Team Rocket's Hideout. I picked up Eevee from the Pokemon Mansion beforehand, though I won't be using him due to stipulations I set for this 'locke. I'm currently trouncing some Rocket behind: I expect to have chased them out of Celadon by day's end. (Best part is, I found another Moon Stone! Looks like I can evolve Pippi.)

I find it neat that I can find coins scattered around the Game Corner... if only I'd known about it years ago.

VC Silver - After taking Kinmei (my Chansey) out training, I brought her to the Goldenrod Underground to get her prettied up. And as luck would have it, next time she leveled, she evolved into a Blissey! Huzzah! It was finally time to challenge Saffron Gym.

Sabrina was hard--at least her Alakazam was. Espeon went down to Douran the Shiny Gyarados after I put it to sleep with Kinmei the Blissey. Her Mr. Mime was more of a obstacle as it was able to set up Reflect and Light Screen. Don't get me started with Alakazam: the thing nearly wiped my entire team. I wound up using the same strategy I employed with Espeon to finish him off. With the battle ending in my favor, Sabrina presented me with my tenth badge. Next stop, Celadon!

;157; (Shirasaya)
;181; (Kikusui)
;130; * (Douran)
;195; (Tanagobara)
;164; (Kissaki)
;242; (Kinmei)

Edit: VC Crystal - I was able to purchase and download the game today due to my 3DS model being Japanese. I chose to play as a girl and gave her the name Kurisu (Crys). I thought I'd have to SR for a female Chikorita, but as luck would have it, just like in my VC Silver game, I got a female on my first try! How wonderful!

;152; (Amakuni)

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
Today, I evolved two more Pokemon on Gold: Geodude into Graveler and Mankey into Primeape. After that was done, the only first-stage Pokemon I had left in that PC box were Drowzee and Psyduck. I did not feel like leveling those two up for evolution, so I flew to Vermilion City and quickly caught a Hypno & Golduck on the surrounding routes.

Next, I caught a few other Pokemon around Kanto for my Pokedex. While fishing, I managed to get a Staryu, Shellder, and Chinchou. Between Pewter City and Mt. Moon, I caught a Jigglypuff. Finally, I headed to the Pallet Town/Cinnabar Island area. I Surfed in the ocean for a bit and caught a Tentacool. In the grass right below Pallet, I eventually caught a Tangela after several failed attempts due to it fleeing from battle.

My Gold's Pokedex is now at 110 owned.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
VC Green - After my team and I successfully defeated Giovanni at the Game Corner Rocket Hideout, it was off to Erika's Gym. I can't say it was quite up to snuff: between Nidoqueen's Body Slam, Venusaur's (Fushigibana's) Cut, Myuu's Mega Punch, and Kamex's Ice Beam, it was a clear win. Afterwards, I brought the Silph Scope Giovanni dropped to fight and pacify Cubone's mother's vengeful spirit. Upon rescuing Mr. Fuji from some wayward Rocket grunts at the top of the tower, I received the Poke Flute. I then made my way to Fuchsia from both sides, carefully avoiding any trainers I could use for captures later. I caught the Snorlax near Lavender along the way, but the other one west of Celadon I had to defeat, as I'm not allowing myself any duplicates in this 'locke. I was still able to use the encounter towards a glitch encounter--with a Hitmonchan (Ebiwalar)! The next intermittent play sessions I spent catching whatever cropped up from exploiting the glitch. The first was a Gyarados (I believe)... as nice as they are, I wasn't satisfied. Tiring of redundancy and would-be MissingNo. encounters, I tried my luck with Myuu's and Pippi's Special stats using wild Ditto east of Fuchsia to generate Pokemon. Pippi's gave me a Hitmonlee (Sawamular), which was fantastic, while Myuu gave me none other than Zapdos (Thunder)!

VC Silver - I defeated the rest of the Kanto Gym Leaders with relative ease. I'm nowhere near prepared to take on Red, however. I might stop here: after all, it's a long way to his team's level...

VC Crystal - Amakuni the Chikorita did well enough on her own through Violet Gym and Sprout Tower. Nevertheless, I recruited the help of Buruburu the Onix, who I obtained through a trade. While he's prone to disobeying me, he's a solid (albeit temporary) addition to the team. Along the way I hatched the egg Professor Elm entrusted to me. I called the newborn Togepi Kanehira and taught him Flash so he would actually be of some use. Inside the nearby Dark Cave is where I caught my second permanent fighter, Sunemori the Zubat. He's still quite weak, but I'm sure he'll make a great Crobat. My next target is a Phanpy on Route 46. I'll have to wake up nice and early if I want to find one... time to hit the sack!

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
I just started 3DS Crystal (I need to remember to finish 3ds Silver and Yellow) and I chose Chikorita, because it was more or less that era's equivalent of hard mode, and caught a Pidgey I am still trying to decide what I want the rest of my team to look like, as well as whether or not I want to use Suicune in my team.

(I considered using all 3 of the legendary beast/dogs/cats whatever you want to call them in my team but then I realized that I am not crazy enough to try and catch the other two just to put them in my team)