• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

1st/2nd Gen Recent Happenings Thread

JAKnighton

Cartoonist
Today in Yellow version, I arrived in Celadon City. I visited the mansion and got myself an Eevee. I evolved it into Vaporeon in the Celadon Store. After getting the Coin Case, I found all the available coins from speaking to the players and checking the ground. Then I fought the Rocket Grunt guarding the poster.

After clearing the Rocket basement hideout, I returned to the Pokemon Tower in Lavender Town with the Silph Scope and defeated Marowak's Ghost. After rescuing Mr. Fujii from Jessie and James, I was given the Poke Flute which I used to awaken the Snorlax near Vermilion City. I nicknamed him Baloo and added him to my team.

I then returned to Celadon City where I fought Erika, sweeping her team with Perry the Pidgeotto. Afterwards I went to the Snorlax blocking Cycling Road, using my Baloo to defeat him.

I now plan on clearing Cycling Road and doing some grinding to get my team all to Level 36.

Current team;

Sparky the Pikachu, level 34.
Perry the Pidgeotto, level 34.
Vinnie the Venusaur, level 33.
Charlotte the Charmeleon, level 33.
Donnie the Wartortle, level 33.
Baloo the Snorlax, level 30.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I looked around Fuchsia City today. Wasn't too much to see since the Safari Zone was closed, so I mostly just talked to NPCs.

After that, I flew back to Vermilion and went over to the sleeping Snorlax. I saved in front of it, played the Poke Flute music on the radio, and then battled it. Snorlax was difficult to weaken due to its bulk, Rest, and Leftovers, so eventually I gave up on lowering down its HP and just tossed Ultra Balls at it. I finally caught it while at full health, but sleeping from Rest.

With Snorlax out of the way, I continued onto Route 11 and defeated all of the trainers there. Once that was done, I entered Diglett's Cave and easily made it to Route 2 on the other side. I plan on exploring Route 2 later, so I then just headed up into Pewter City.

Kage-Pikachu

I beat Red after playing through Crystal on my Game Cube.

It was fun, I'm still working on my plan to create 251 Pokemon with good moves to use in Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2. Getting them all to level 55 is tough though and time consuming. I screwed up and got my Tyranitar to level 56 before cloning him so that's a problem but it might not make much of a difference. I should probably find a Game Shark for Celebi because that glitch to get it seems very difficult.

Also...my Nintendo 64 glitched or something and destroyed the save Data for Red and one of my Yellows (I have 2)...RIGHT AFTER I RESTARTED BLUE! So that's going to set me back a bit...

Aquarelle

Staff member
In Pewter City, I received the Silver Wing from an NPC. After that, I began heading to Mt. Moon. While traveling along Route 3, I battled a few trainers.

As soon as I entered Mt. Moon, I saw my rival and had to fight him once again. That battle was pretty easy thanks to the efforts of my Feraligatr, Houndoom, and Electabuzz. Shortly after, though, I ended up in an annoying battle against a wild Clefairy. I was having a ridiculous time trying to catch it as it kept breaking out of Ultra Balls. I had to use 12-15 of them before I was successful...don't think I've ever had that much bad luck catching a Clefairy before.

Once I explored Mt. Moon, I reached Route 4, where there were a few more trainers to fight. After defeating them, I flew back to Pewter City. From there, I headed south to Route 2. I battled some Bug Catchers and obtained some items there before entering Viridian City.

Kage-Pikachu

Today I started up my Yellow (the one that got deleted by Pokemon Stadium...) and traded some Pokemon from my other Yellow into it to try and get a level 6 Surfing Pikachu (so I could own Brock!) but since my level 100 Mewtwo, Mew, Dragonite, Charizard, Venusaur, Pikachu, Jynx, and most of my good Pokemon like Starmie were all in my deleted Yellow, it didn't go so good. I even tried Gym Leader Castle to try and get a good free Pokemon with my Trainer ID but they just weren't good enough. Gotta play Red, Blue, and my other Yellow to build up a new group of level 100s.

In that deleted Yellow Version I beat my Rival and decided to save at the Pokemon Center without battling any Pokemon so that I can use Surf as early as possible. My new goal right now is to beat all three games before LGP/E.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Back onto Yellow, I tried to grind my Pokémon further at Viridian Forest for preparation for the first Gym battle. At Viridian Forest, I caught a Caterpie so I have 7 Pokémon registered in the Pokédex. I battled a Lass with both a Nidoran♀ and a Nidoran♂ in the south-west corner sometime. Currently Mankey is Lv 7 and Pikachu is Lv 8.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Did some sightseeing around Viridian City. I received the Dream Eater TM from an NPC and briefly visited the empty Gym. At the Trainer House, I battled Pokemon Trainer Cal, defeating his team with my Murkrow, Mr. Mime, and Feraligatr.

Then, I headed down to Route 1. After defeating both of the trainers on that route, I entered Pallet Town. I stopped by Red & Blue's houses and spoke to Prof. Oak in his lab before saving.
Think I'll head down to Cinnabar next time.

JohnLynch

I've had a really fun last week in Pokemon Crystal. I've never played a Gen2 game before. So this week I caught Suicune for the very first time ever. It took 2 Ultra Balls, 20 Great Balls and 18 pokemon balls (it was caught in the pokemon ball). I only had 2 more balls left before I would have had to do a soft reset and start again.

I then went on to defeat the 8th Gym Leader (without an Ice pokemon) and made my way through the Johto route to get to the Elite 4. Silver defeated me the first time so I had to make my way through the entire gamut again. This time, however, I was able to defeat Silver.

Now I'm fighting the Elite 4. I've yet to make it past the Ice Leader. However I banked most of my money with my mother and I purchased some potions so when I started I only had $300. I've been defeated enough times that I think I'm down to single digits. But my Pokemon are leveling and I'm working out the ideal pokemon from my party to defeat each of the enemies. Within the next couple of days I expect to fully defeat the Elite 4 and then start my journey into Kanto.

PsychoIncarnate

I just trained up my team of shinies, the team I got legit, and raised them enough to beat the Elite 4 again and Red. That's my Gold Team

My silver team is made up of shinies as well, but they aren't quite as legit, since I used the coin case glitch to make them shiny. I figured it out after I breed the first team and had a frustrating time getting a shiny Lugia. I can only soft reset for so long before I just give up. I've never gotten a shiny through soft resetting because I don't have that much patience. I can breed for shiny because I'm at least doing something and have ways of manipulating the end result.

My silver team is what I'm focusing on right now because I still need to breed for moves and stuff. It has the first Hitmontop I've ever gotten, which was easier than I remember. I failed over and over during HG/SS for some reason.

Drummerdude

Since I had already completed the Team Rocket side quest in Mahogany Town I was able to immediately go to the gym and take care of Pryce's team with Electabuzz and Scizor. Honestly Scizor has been a lot of fun to use. I received a phone call about trouble in Goldenrod City so I biked (because I still haven't captured a Flying type) back to Goldenrod and went to work saving the day. Nothing here was too troublesome that I can recall and before I knew it they had been eradicated once and for all! I biked back to Mahogany Town and headed east through the Ice Path into Blackthorn City.

I went to the gym and defeated the trainers inside before heading south to train my team a bit more only to finally capture a Pidgey near New Bark Town so I could quickly return to Blackthorn City. Once my team was ready I challenged Clair. Feraligatr took down the first Dragonair with Ice Punch before falling to her Thunderbolt Dragonair. Fortunately Scizor's Metal Claw boosted its Atk which helped with taking down the next two. Electabuzz almost took down Kingdra but Flareon came in and finished it off with Shadow Ball. Clair made me go take a test afterwards to prove my worth and after I passed I was given my 8th badge!

Leonhart

Imagineer
I walked up to Erika's spot at the Tamamushi Gym and battled her, which was a brief skirmish. With the Rainbow Badge in hand, I left the building now and I restored my team at the Pokemon Center. I headed back to Shion Town when I had done a few last-minute tasks in Tamamushi City, and once I arrived in Shion Town's rather depressing vicinity, I headed up the Pokemon Tower graveyard. I soon encountered ghosts again, although this time I could identify them as Ghos, and I captured one of them. After defeating a few possessed women, I saved on the fifth floor.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Tonight, I Surfed south of Pallet Town on Route 21. I simply defeated the trainers on that route before moving on to Cinnabar Island.

In Cinnabar, I healed my team at the Pokemon Center. Back outside, I talked to Blue and got him to go back to the Viridian Gym. I then picked up the hidden Rare Candy before returning to the coast to use Surf again.

Finally, I battled the trainers on Route 20. I then saved on the Seafoam Islands landmass.

Manchee

extra toasty
Pokémon Yellow

current location: Pallet Town
update: Well... I finished the game. Last time I updated, I had only gotten as far as Koga, I believe. My semester ended about a month ago and in between work since then, I've been buckling down and moving along. I caught a Slowpoke and evolved it so that I could have something for down the line when I faced Lance. I decided pretty soon after picking up this game again that I couldn't keep Pikachu, which sucked having to box it, but it would never be able to compete. I took out my Eevee and evolved it into a Jolteon, and I think this is the first time I used an Eeveelution on a team. Long story short, I just beat the Elite Four and Champion. I could go after Mewtwo, but that will be an adventure for another day. Now, I get to buy Crystal and replay my first Pokémon game! :)
final team: Pidgeot, Vileplume, Primeape, Hypno, Jolteon, Slowbro

Drummerdude

Professor Elm gave me a Master Ball that I may never use and I surfed into Kanto...only to realize freaking Feraligatr cannot learn Waterfall. It also turns out the Tentacool I captured before fighting Chuck just to use as a Whirlpool user cannot learn Waterfall either. It also turns out that I did not pick up the Good Rod in Olivine City. I flew there, got it, and captured a Poliwag in Violet City with it only to remember you don't even need the stupid Rod to find Poliwag. I surpassed the Waterfall eventually and defeated the trainers leading up to Victory Road and had an easy time against my rival.

So because my team only consists of 5 Pokemon they are all over-leveled a bit compared to where my teams normally are this point. And because of that the Elite 4 was fairly easy. Donphan really only got to battle against Koga's Muk. Despite only having Fire Spin as STAB Flareon still managed to do well with Shadow Ball. Feraligatr didn't see much action until Lance where it Ice Punch'd everything. Electabuzz used Thunderpunch a lot. Like a lot. Scizor only really shown against Bruno where he swept the fighting types with Wing Attack. Team ended up being 43-44 after all was said and done.

After becoming the Champion I headed to Goldenrod and got the GS Ball which I showed to Kurt. The next day I got to see the trees swaying in Ilex Forest and was able to finally capture my final team member, Celebi! I slapped the Exp Share on Celebi and boarded the SS Aqua to once again journey to Kanto.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Last night, I finished going through the ocean routes of Kanto. I Surfed away from the Seafoam Islands and made sure I didn't miss anything on Route 20. Then, I moved on to Route 19. Wasn't much to do there except battle several Swimmers; I defeated them using my Electabuzz & Mr. Mime.

Finally, I arrived in Fuchsia City again and saved. I thought about heading east and covering the routes leading back to Lavender Town, but I didn't feel like it right then. Maybe next time.

Manchee

extra toasty
The other day I finally got to start playing Crystal for the first time in a very long time. It was my first game but I haven't played it since the internal battery died, and I'm thrilled to get to experience it again now on my 3DS. I chose the female character not because "this was the first game with a girl!" but because when I played as a kid, I had chosen her. Back then I picked the name AMANDA from the preset options but this time I went with Lisbeth.

Totodile is one of my favorite starters ever, so I went with her. So far we have made it to Violet City and managed to capture a Hoothoot, Spinarak, and Zubat. I've got no plans for a final team (though I would like to try a Steelix, Scizor, and/or Forretress), and I'm hoping to go with the flow. Johto has been hard for me to get through since HG/SS, and I'm nervous that I won't complete this game. Something about it gets boring for me, but right now I feel pretty excited still and hope that trying out new Pokémon will keep me interested long enough to finish both regions in the game.

PsychoIncarnate

I'm thinking about making a big change to my Gen 1 Team

Adding Arcanine to it

The last 2 pokemon on it I was always kind of meh on

The only problem is that no one would have fighting moves. I guess that doesn't matter as much without Dark Pokemon though

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
Yesterday, I left Fuchsia to explore Routes 12-15. Took a little while, but I managed to defeat all of the trainers on the routes before arriving in Lavender Town again.

After that, I returned to Johto for a trainer rematch. Also, it was Saturday, so the Move Tutor was outside the Goldenrod Game Corner. I decided to teach Ice Beam to my Piloswine as it'd been stuck with Powder Snow for too long, so I purchased some coins and got the move tutored onto it.

Back in Kanto, I saved. Now that I've explored all the routes, I'll start winning the Kanto Gym Badges next time.

Team:
160.png
229.png
122.png
125.png
198.png
221.png

Lv. 48-50

Manchee

extra toasty
Since my last update, I've managed to get through Sprout Tower and defeat the first gym, so now I have the ZEPHYRBADGE. And now I of course also have the egg containing Togepi. Since leaving Violet City, I caught a Hoppip and made my way into the cave that leads down to Azalea Town.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Crystal Version progress: Woot. Finally made it to Ecruteak City. Been doing some leveling up outside of it and I caught a Pidgeotto and a Noctowl. Working on training up the latter now. Going to have to get ready for Burned Tower and the battle against my Rival.

Still shiny hunting in Gold and Silver. Both Totodile and Cyndaquil are staying stubbornly non shiny. :p