• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

1st/2nd Gen Recent Happenings Thread

Aquarelle

Staff member
Yesterday, I headed down to Vermilion City and went to the Gym. All of the trainers, including Lt. Surge, were pretty easy to deal with thanks to my Sandslash's Earthquake. Surge's two Electrode both used Double Team, but fortunately Sandslash didn't miss.

After that, I decided to get the Celadon Gym done as well. My Typhlosion defeated Erika and all the other Gym trainers on its own. I just Fire Punched everything and didn't take any damage IIRC.

Next time, I'll head to the Fuchsia Gym, and maybe do the Saffron Gym as well.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
after 1100 (ish) soft resets I got shiny ho-oh
after (maybe a 1000?) soft resets I got shiny lugia

this was a good month :)

Aquarelle

Staff member
Got two more badges tonight. I went to the Fuchsia Gym first, where I battled all of the Gym trainers with Ampharos & Politoed. I had to soft reset once, though, since I talked to the real Janine by accident before I fought the last trainer (always forget which one is her). When I battled Janine for real, I swept her entire team with just Politoed.

Next, I took on the Saffron Gym. I warped around and battled everyone, mostly using Miltank. I planned to use just Miltank against Sabrina, but Espeon survived its Shadow Ball and used Sand-Attack on me. Once Espeon fainted, I switched to Sandslash to get rid of Miltank's accuracy drop. After Sandslash defeated Mr. Mime, I sent Miltank back out to KO Alakazam.

Will do the final two Gyms next time.

MarioKart

Shiny Hunter
I went In the Mahogany Gym and battled all the trainers. I went back to the Pokémon Center and healed. I battled Pryce. I sent out Chikorita and Pryce sent out Seel. I used razor leaf first and it was a critical hit. Seel fainted, so I switched to Sunflora and he sent out Dewgong. I used mega drain, then Dewgong use rest. So I used mega drain again, Dewgong was still sleeping. I then used petal dance and Dewgong fainted. I switched to Venomoth and he sent out Piloswine. I kept using confusion, then I had to heal a couple times, but I finally took down Piloswine. I got my badge, when I went outside, Prof. Elm called me. I healed my team, then flew to Goldenrod City. I Went in the Radio Tower and battle all the Team Rocket members. I used my whole team. I saved the Director and I beat all the executives, the one with the houndoom was easy to beat. The Director gave me the Rainbow wing. Next i'm heading threw the Ice Caves to Blackhorn City.

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
Flew back to Fuchsia City and Surfed over to the Seafoam Islands. Inside the cave, I battled Blaine. My Sandslash took down Magcargo and Magmar with Earthquake, without taking any damage itself. For Rapidash, I decided to switch to my Politoed and OHKO it with Surf.

Next, I headed over to the Viridian City Gym to fight Blue. I used several of my team members in this battle:
Ampharos - defeated Blue's Pidgeot and Gyarados with ThunderPunch
Politoed - Surfed Rhydon and Arcanine
Typhlosion - Fire Punched Exeggutor
Miltank - 2HKOed Alakazam with Shadow Ball

With Blaine & Blue defeated, I've now finished collecting all the badges in the game. Might go to Mt. Silver next time, but I won't do the Red fight until I've trained more.

Team:
;157; ;181; ;186; ;028; ;149; ;241;
Lv. 52-55

pokeplayer9994

Argh! I've NEVER had such a problem with a normal Pokemon! Murkrow was a pain to catch! Sure, my team was over-leveled, but I at least had Sonicboom to more safely lower HP. Anyways, I got it as low as possible under the current circumstances, paralyzed it and then started throwing Pokeballs. Now, it's health was orange, but I was confident in catching it. I wasted nearly all my Pokeballs. I was down to my duplicated Master Balls. (Done so the Roaming Legends won't be so annoying.) I was forced to use one.

To top it off, further Murkrow taunted me with multiple encounters before I ran into the Houndour that I wanted. I caught it much easier. Anyways, Murkrow was only caught to increase my Pokedex and is staying in the PC for all eternity as punishment. Houndour (Now Houndoom.) Shall be my main Dark-type as I level it up to take on Sabrina.

Should be easier from here.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Did a few things tonight. First, I trained my Pokemon a little by fighting my rival at Indigo Plateau and Cal at the Trainer House in Viridian. Once that was done, I went to Mt. Moon. While going through the cave, I encountered a Clefairy and decided to catch it. Took several balls to catch, since all the Pokemon I had were too strong to lower its HP, but I eventually caught it. In the square, I watched the Clefairy dance, and then used Rock Smash to find a hidden Moon Stone.

Next, I returned to Pallet Town. I visited Oak in his lab and got permission to go to Mt. Silver. So, I then went back to the gate connecting to Victory Road, and took the side path leading to Route 28. I explored that route and the outer part of the mountain before heading into the Mt. Silver Pokemon Center to heal.

gentwoer

Started up Pokemon Red and choose the underrated underappreciated Bulbasaur as my starter. Leveled it up to level 12 and caught Pikachu in the Viridian Forest. Took forever to encounter Pikachu but beating up weedles and kakunas was nice for level grinding.

pokeplayer9994

Welp, I caught all of the necessary Pokemon so Bill's Grandfather can give me endless stones. I also got the Level 70 Lugia!

Next up on the catch list, the Roaming Legends! Ugh! They are going to be a pain!

Aquarelle

Staff member
Last night, I explored the Mt. Silver cave. I went to every room and picked up all of the items, so that I won't have to worry about it when I eventually fight Red.

I stayed in the cave for quite a while, since I also wanted to train my team. I fought a bunch of wild Pokemon until my whole team was level 55. I was glad that I had enough PP to get everyone up to that level - most of my Pokemon's moves were really depleted by the end due to them not being able to OHKO everything I found. Wild Quagsire wasted some of my PP points as well, due to them fleeing from battle.

Also, I captured a few Pokemon. I found a Larvitar pretty quickly and caught it on my first Ultra Ball. Later on, I found a Misdreavus, which broke out of a few balls before I successfully captured it. Finally, when I was walking back to the Pokemon Center, I encountered a Sneasel in the grass and caught it, too.

gentwoer

Defeated Brock and his boy scout with Bulbasaur. Wasted through those trainers on the way to Mt.Moon and about ready to go to Mt.Moon

Contemplating if I should get magikarp from the salesman for Gyrados or not.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I trained my team some more yesterday. I ended up going back to the Pokemon League and fighting the Elite Four three more times.

The first time and a bit, I focused on leveling up my Typhlosion. I managed to get it to level 60, which meant that it finally learned Flamethrower. For the remaining league battles I did, I mainly used my Dragonite. It made it to level 60 as well.

My other Pokemon are still level 55-56, but I'll definitely work on leveling them closer to 60 next time.

bloodghoul

Porygon2 - DoomDuck!
So my brother very nicely bought me Pokemon Gold on the VC for my 3DS so I get to experience the nostalgia that I first experience when I was 11 :D ... now 28 its been a while :)

So I loaded up the game and started with the same starter I did all those years ago, Cindaquil. Still one of my favourite starters, can never decide between him or charmander :D
I decided to call him Bakugo, after the fire quirk user in the anime My Hero Acadamia.

Did all the usual stuff with Mr Pokemon and got to Violet City. Cindaquil being a fire type made easy work of Bellsprout tower and nicely polished off Falkner. Not much trouble :)
Made my way down the route and did the Kabuto puzzle for the Ruins of Alph. Ahhh I love those little puzzles, I wish they put more in other games :D
Got through the rock cave and now in Azelia town.
Decided to catch a slowpoke and call her Yadosheru ... Yadonushi means (Parasytic) Host and Sheru is Shell ... so its an amalgamation of the two words.
Whilst training up slowpoke the egg that I received from the Aide in Voilet city hatched revealing togepi. I decided to add him to my team as well and call him Ureshii meaning Happy in Japanese :)
Now working through slowpoke well whilst remembering why I never really used togepi before. It is slow to train because it only really gets Metronome early on. But it is giving me some nice results, already exploded 3 times xD

Current team

;156; - Bakugo - Level 19
;079; - Yadosheru - Level 15
;175; - Ureshii - Level 16

Aquarelle

Staff member
Continued training on Gold tonight. I went through the Pokemon League another 4 times!

I used my Politoed a lot during the first run and part of the second, allowing it to reach level 60 quite easily. I then split the remaining battles I did between my Sandslash, Miltank, and Ampharos. Sandslash was used heavily during the Lance fights, so it was able to get to level 60 as well. Miltank & Ampharos managed to get to lv. 58-59.

Will finish training Miltank & Ampharos to level 60 next time. Then, I'll probably start training my team to level 65 or so.

Drummerdude

So it's been almost 3 months since I played Silver but I returned to my game at the Pokemon League with my team between Lv38-Lv40. I purchased some healing items and headed inside. Will wasn't too difficult but his freaking Xatu kept getting critical hits with Psychic which was a pain. Koga and Bruno did not put up much of a fight with Piloswine and Slowking proving their worth here. Karen was probably the most difficult thanks to the bloody Houndoom that never remains paralyzed. Lance wasn't too much trouble either and was the only time Miltank got to contribute which was nice I guess.

After becoming champion I headed to Olivine City and boarded a boat to Kanto. Once there I headed to the Vermillion Gym where Piloswine swept the place with Earthquake. I headed north to Saffron City and explored before taking on Sabrina and winning with a big help from Miltank's Shadow Ball. Next stop was Celadon City but I ended up catching a Houndour before entering and taking a break. Going to post the team in this post as I am sure my signature will change eventually.

;157; ;181; ;199; ;192; ;241; ;221;

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
Decided to pick up my VC Silver game after a prolonged hiatus. I can't believe I was able to take down Pryce with under-leveled 'mon, but my shiny Gyarados, Quilava, and Flaaffy did well so whatever. My Flaaffy evolved into Ampharos shortly afterwards--just outside Mahogany, in fact.

While making my way through Icy Path, I picked up a nice Level 24 Swinub, which I named Koshirae, in a Lure Ball, and a Jynx, which I named Midare. I figured Jynx's Ice Punch would be a great help come Blackthorn Gym. On Route 45 I tried desperately to catch Teddiursa (a Pokemon I thought was exclusive to Gold?), but to no avail. I did however succeed in catching a Skarmory, which I called Ginsuji.

Current team
;156; (Shirasaya)
;181; (Kikusui)
;130; * (Douran)
;195; (Tanagobara)
;227; (Ginsuji)
;124; (Midare)

Last edited:

bloodghoul

Porygon2 - DoomDuck!
Soo I think its time for an update. Been playing some more VC Gold.

After training Yadosheru and Ureshii up to the same level as Bakugo we decided it was time to face Bugsy. To be honest he was a bit of a push over with Bakugo torching most of his bugs.

We made our way through Ilex Forest with nothing really eventful happening, we did get headbutt and walk back to try and get a Heracross to add to the team but an old mechanic reared its head that made me give up. "Heracross fled"... WHAT!!

Anyways onwards on to Goldenrod city, after systemically walking round and beating all possible trainers it was time to face the gym. The gym of nightmares, remembering back to when I was younger and being destroyed by Whitney's Miltank I didnt want to repeat the trauma. So using Smokescreen from Bakugo and then setting up 6 curses on Yadosheru and tanking her hits I beat her first try.

After getting the water bottle I decided to add a new member to my team and caught Sudowoodo ... now called Usokkie .. which unless I am wrong is how to say his Japanese name.

Training some more I wanted to add Magnemite to the team but noticed that it doesn't learn much and all the good electric TMs take a while to get. I didn't want to add Mareep because I am planning to use one in my Ultra Sun playthrough when my version finally turns up in the mail lol ... but I traveled back and caught a Mareep. Now nicknamed Dafad which is the welsh for Sheep (Singular not Plural)

So now we are training up to face Morty and carry on with our journey, wondering who will be the 6th and final team member in our escapade to become the best of Johto and Kanto

Team
;156; - Bakugo - Level 24
;079; - Yadosheru - Level 23
;175; - Ureshii - Level 23
;185; - Usokkie - Level 23
;180; - Dafad - Level 24

Aquarelle

Staff member
Got my Miltank & Ampharos to level 60 tonight. First, I had them fight my rival at Indigo Plateau since the day rolled over to Monday. Then, I fought the Elite Four once again, making sure to use Miltank & Ampharos heavily in the battles.

After that, I did another E4 run, with all of my team members being used in the battles this time. Most of my Pokemon gained another level to reach lv. 61.

Next time, I'll try to get some of my Pokemon to level 65.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
VC Silver - After cleaning up the mess Rocket made in Goldenrod (and picking up the Amulet Coin from the Underground!), I headed back to Blackthorn to challenge Clair's Gym.

They weren't lying when they said "hardest Leader in the game." She whipped my team good--I almost ran out of Revives, and I was left with my shiny Gyarados Douran at under 50% health by battle's end.

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
This past afternoon, I was able to get a lot of training done. Every Pokemon on my Gold team reached level 65! I thought it would take me longer to get them all up to that level, but it went surprisingly quickly.

What really helped was the SS Aqua. I didn't want to just keep on going through the Pokemon League non-stop, so the trainers on the ship provided a nice break in between Elite Four runs.

Now that my team is all lv. 65, I'm thinking of fighting Red next time. Don't really feel like grinding everyone up to level 70 first.