• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

1st/2nd Gen Recent Happenings Thread

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Spaceworld and similar leaks confirmed fake by confession...

From Flibble42 on Frozen Fennec's talk page on Bulbapedia

"i faked it. i reverse engineered the gold, silver, and crystal source code and intentionally made the programming super incompotent as a joke. i did it in assembly, my favorite programming language, as a gag. i then proceed to do that 600 more times with very minor tweaks to the translation also as a joke. i then wrote code by iwata that wasn't incompotent as a joke. i also made a new bad gameboy emulator as a joke. i then drew hundreds of sprites ranging from barely started to completely finalized and wrote dex entries and fake moves for everything as a joke. i also wrote hundreds of fake emails, you guessed it, as a joke. i also intentionally programmed in bugs, made fake bug reports, and refused to address the bugs all for a laugh. and i did this in six languages as a joke. you all fell for it."

Madison M

Just found this thread, and I thought I'd just talk about Crystal. This is all from memory, so it might not be entirely accurate.

I recently beat Morty. My team right now is Quilava, Machop, Shiny Smoochum, Natu, Eevee, and I can't even remember the last member so I guess it's not a permanent member.

My dream team is Typhlosion, Shiny Jynx, Xatu, Umbreon, Forretress, and Shiny Gyarados. I am using two psychic types, but whatever. It's my second-favorite type, plus I already wanted Xatu, and eventually got a shiny Smoochum from the Odd Egg and I can't not use a shiny. I really wished I could use Steelix instead of Forretress, but it's way too hard to get and I really wanted to use a steel type because it's my favorite. I think this seems like a good team for all the major battles. And if it isn't, I'll just have to try hard.

OriginalScream

I'm replaying Yellow via emulator, and I'm not sure if it's an emulator thing or something else, but I've just battled the rival at Silph Co. I lost our first battle and won the second, and I definitely remember him using a Shellder at Pokemon Tower, but when I battled him at Silph Co, he had Ninetales and Vaporeon instead of Cloyster and Flareon. I'm not sure what to think.

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
Not sure if anyone has been paying too much attention to what I've been posting around the forums, but I have plans to play through every generation of Pokemon games starting in Gen I with Pokemon Red! Goal is to clear the main story, do whatever postgame exists (outside of stuff like the Battle Frontier or PWT) and capture all the available legendaries to be then transferred all the way up to Pokemon Home/Bank or whatever game they can be held in. To begin this experience we start with Pokemon Red, which I've been playing for the last 2hrs and 48mins apparently (I got distracted a few times).

So first off - I'm outside Mt. Moon. Not a lot of adventuring for 3hrs of play time, but a bit of it was grinding. I named my rival Blue, did the opening bits and chose Bulbasaur or "seed" as my starter! Named him Huu after the swampbender from Avatar: The Last Airbender (aka the source of my distractions). I narrowly beat Blue after his Charmander scored some critical hits on Bulbasaur and proceeded to Viridian Forest to get the parcel and by extension, my Pokedex. With my Pokedex and the Poke Balls I seemingly had to buy (weren't given any like you are in other games unless I missed something) I headed to the route west of Viridian to nab myself a male Nidoran, who I named Bumi (you'll notice a theme with my nicknames). I trained Nidoran up on Route 1 until he reached level 7 before clearing out Viridian Forest, spending an hour hunting for a Metapod for the Pokedex and finally making it to Pewter City.

Turns out Bulbasaur is not the fastest choice when it comes to your Kanto experience in the Gen I games, because Tackle doesn't hit very hard and it doesn't get Vine Whip until level 13. Level 13! How are you meant to beat Brock without it except for a slow Leech Seed stall match (which, for the record, doesn't heal much). So I did more grinding and neglected poor Nidoran to do so, finally one-shotting Brock's entire team with Vine Whip. Nicely done! Nidoran caught up in levels on Route 3 thanks to Horn Attack doing a solid chunk of damage and Poison Sting hitting Caterpie/Metapod for weakness, and in fact both members of my team have evolved into Ivysaur and Nidorino, respectively. I bought the Magikarp, dumped my extras in the PC and saved.

Red Team:
o_hs_002_1.png
Huu the Ivysaur, Level 16
Tackle, Growl, Leech Seed, Vine Whip
o_hs_033_1.png
Bumi the Nidorino, Level 16
Leer, Tackle, Horn Attack, Poison Sting

Last edited:

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
I have a small update for my Red adventures, which is that I have defeated Misty, Blue and the Nugget Bridge! Mt. Moon was a bit of a slog although the lack of wild Pokemon battles was surprising! Trying to find Clefairy though, what a nightmare. Took me at least 30-40mins! I finally found one though. Team Rocket and the trainers were pretty easy to clear out thanks to me evolving Nidorino into Nidoking, although Ivysaur felt a bit weak against all the Poison and Flying types. Tackle just isn't cutting it right now. Water Gun being a TM was something I knew about but still found kind-of funky (taught it to Nidoking for coverage and because none of my planned team could actually learn it, same as Mega Punch) so there's that.

Misty was surprisingly easy - Nidoking destroyed her Staryu with Mega Punch, whilst Ivysaur landed a critical hit Vine Whip on Starmie to make it a more guaranteed 3HKO (she used an X Defend when in the red, was perplexing). Blue was similarly just a Nidoking sweep since Mega Punch + Water Gun 2HKOed everything at worst. Nugget Bridge was simple enough to clear and I spent about 20mins hunting down an Abra which I caught, nicknamed Pathik and used my two Rare Candies on to get him to level 12. Alakazam is broken in Kanto (or so I heard, perks of having basically zero weaknesses and a stupidly high special + speed stat) so I figured it would be fun to use one, especially since Red is the only Kanto game I own I can actually trade in to evolve it, which I'll be making full use of. Fun times, can't wait to give it Seismic Toss so I don't have to switch-train as much.

Red Team:
o_hs_002_1.png
Huu the Ivysaur, Level 22
Tackle, PoisonPowder, Leech Seed, Vine Whip
o_hs_034_1.png
Bumi the Nidoking, Level 22
Water Gun, Mega Punch, Horn Attack, Poison Sting
o_hs_063_1.png
Pathik the Abra, Level 12
Teleport

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
I was debating between posting now or posting after I beat Erika, but I got impatient and thought I'd post now! Maybe I'll edit in the stuff that happens between now and Erika later on. I'm currently stood inside the Rocket Hideout in Celadon City ready to begin the arduous process of clearing out the place with my slightly over-levelled team after nearly getting my ass kicked by Blue's Gyarados (it has Hydro Pump, oh my god).

Anywho switch-training Abra was easy and it evolved into Kadabra just as I got the TM for Seismic Toss, so rather than using that to clear routes I spammed Confusion instead. Teleport was also surprisingly useful which was nice to see. S.S. Anne was a sweep with my team although I had to do it with a burnt Ivysaur and face Blue with a KOed Kadabra (I was switch-training Kakuna and Metapod for the Pokedex and to alleviate being over-levelled). Luckily Nidoking just spammed Thrash to win, was hardly a challenge. I evolved Kadabra into Alakazam just before Surge and used it to sweep him because my Ground type knew zero Ground types moves (why can't it learn Dig in Gen 1? Whose idea was that?).

I cleared Rock Tunnel with zero issues and then went to train a Pidgey and Oddish on the routes below and to the west of Lavender Town to evolve them. Blue nearly killed my team with just his Gyarados - Ivysaur had taken down his Pidgeotto and Exeggcute with Body Slam and used Leech Seed on Gyarados before nearly being taken down with Dragon Rage. Nidoking 2HKOed with Thrash but it knows Hydro Pump! Presumably because Gyarados learns the move at level 1? I dunno, scary stuff. Charmeleon fell to Alakazam. I headed to Celadon, nabbed the free TMs of Ice Beam and Rock Slide and taught them to Nidoking and Vaporeon, my fourth team member! Never used a Kanto Eeveelution before and a Water type early on would've been super helpful. And so now I'm in Rocket Hideout looking to get the thing to see the ghosts so I can do Lavender Tower before Erika (I have a reason for doing so).

Current team thoughts... Alakazam is actually disgusting. I've never used a Pokemon which just murders the entire game this easily before outside of maybe XY Aegislash? Psybeam on its own just murders things, and it has utility with Thunder Wave + Seismic Toss helping me catch bits for the Pokedex. Nidoking is solid and reliable, kind-of wish I'd used Golem instead since it would have STAB Dig and a bit more power at the cost of speed? Like don't get me wrong - it's good. Thrash and Mega Punch kill a lot and Water Gun is alright. But it's just... lacking, to some degree. Ivysaur is alright - Body Slam helps a ton versus everything that resists Grass and we now have Razor Leaf! But Leech Seed sucks more than I realised and its typing just isn't that great for the routes? So many Flying types, so many Bellsprouts! No comment yet on Vaporeon, although its backsprite looks odd.

Red Team:
o_hs_002_1.png
Huu the Ivysaur, Level 30
Body Slam, Cut, Leech Seed, Razor Leaf
o_hs_034_1.png
Bumi the Nidoking, Level 30
Water Gun, Mega Punch, Thrash, Rock Slide
o_hs_065_1.png
Pathik the Alakazam, Level 30
Flash, Thunder Wave, Psybeam, Seismic Toss
o_hs_134_1.png
Paku the Vaporeon, Level 25
Tackle, BubbleBeam, Swift, Ice Beam

Rodpaco

Not sure if anyone has been paying too much attention to what I've been posting around the forums, but I have plans to play through every generation of Pokemon games starting in Gen I with Pokemon Red!

I'll steal your idea and do the same! :) Starting with Yellow, in this order: Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, FireRed, Pearl, HeartGold, White, X, Alpha Sapphire, and Moon (+ Platinum that I'm already playing and will keep playing, as I want to complete the national dex). I don't have Sword/Shield, though I might buy it in the future.
Always with the same 2 rules I've been playing with lately: catching 100 pokémon before the Elite Four + No legendaries allowed in the team.

So in Yellow I got my Pikachu, trained it a bit, caught a few pokémon (Caterpie, Pidgey, Rattata, Spearow, Nidoran♀, Nidoran♂, and Mankey) and I'm now in Viridian Forest grinding my Mankey until he's strong enough to beat Brock.

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
I'll steal your idea and do the same! :) Starting with Yellow, in this order: Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, FireRed, Pearl, HeartGold, White, X, Alpha Sapphire, and Moon (+ Platinum that I'm already playing and will keep playing, as I want to complete the national dex). I don't have Sword/Shield, though I might buy it in the future.
Always with the same 2 rules I've been playing with lately: catching 100 pokémon before the Elite Four + No legendaries allowed in the team.

Always nice to see someone else playing along! Also stops me taking over the entire thread, so I look forward to see more of your progress!

As for me, I'm currently sat in Fuchsia City with a full team and 5 gym badges to my name, which is solid progress given how busy I've been with uni. Rocket Hideout was a bit of a trek since I don't tend to read dialogue and you kind-of have to talk to one of the grunts to get the key to the elevator? Took a while before I remembered that lil tidbit. Still! Trained Vaporeon up to the same level as the squad in part thanks to a few sneaky Rare Candies I'd accumulated, and even evolved an Ekans into an Arbok! Giovanni was a joke thanks to Vaporeon and Alakazam, and I obtained the reason I'd done the hideout before the gym - the Silph Scope! With that I took off to Lavender Tower and captured Koh the Gastly, my fifth team member! Gengar is one of my favourite Pokemon of all time and I really wanted to use one, so this was the only game I could make that work. Also helps that it's pretty good in Kanto thanks to Normal immunity and a good Special stat. I trained Gastly up a bit and by the time I got to Mr. Fuji I had a Haunter!

The next order of business was the Fighting Dojo, for extra Haunter training. Remember what I said about that sweet sweet Normal immunity? It's also immune to Fighting, which are the only types of moves the Pokemon in the dojo know. Easy training, got a Hitmonlee, was solid! Haunter caught up to my team by then, and I went ahead and finally battled the Celadon Gym. It was here that my Ivysaur evolved into a Venusaur! Erika was a joke - Haunter took out Victreebel and Vileplume whilst Alakazam wrecked her Tangela. I caught the Snorlax blocking the Cycling Road and cleared the Koffing and Machop spammers with relative ease. I spent an hour in the Safari Zone hunting bits for the Pokedex randomly - I caught a Parasect, Doduo, Venonat, Venomoth, Rhyhorn, Nidoran-F and even encountered all the rare Pokemon like Chansey that unfortunately ran away. I got the Surf HM and the gold teeth, obtained HM Strength, traded to myself to evolve Haunter into Gengar and took on Koga's gym! Which had some surprising level discrepancies but we made it work. Gengar took out Weezing and a Koffing whilst Alakazam took out Muk and the second Koffing.

With access to Surf I headed over to capture my sixth team member - Zapdos. I've not used a Legendary Pokemon on a team properly since I was like 13 and I really needed someone who could Fly. Zapdos would serve as an excellent "oh poop" button and all-round good killing machine which was appreciated. I named it Azula because although my murderbird isn't an antagonist, it's still strong as hell and calculating. Capturing it was also pretty simple even if it KOed most of my team, taking only a single Ultra Ball. I flew back to Fuchsia City and saved. Team is really good - can't speak for Zapdos but Alakazam is still disgusting, Gengar is really good, Vaporeon and Nidoking feel like they could hit a little bit harder and Venusaur is solid but just has a really unfortunate typing at the moment. Such is life. Also, Rock Slide sounds cool as hell in this game! As a random side-note.

Red Team:
o_hs_003_m-1.png
Huu the Venusaur, Level 34
Body Slam, Cut, Toxic, Razor Leaf
o_hs_034_1.png
Bumi the Nidoking, Level 34
Water Gun, Mega Punch, Thrash, Rock Slide
o_hs_065_1.png
Pathik the Alakazam, Level 35
Flash, Thunder Wave, Psybeam, Seismic Toss
o_hs_134_1.png
Paku the Vaporeon, Level 34
Surf, BubbleBeam, Swift, Ice Beam
o_hs_094_1.png
Koh the Gengar, Level 35
Mega Drain, Thunderbolt, Strength, Psychic
o_hs_145_1.png
Azula the Zapdos, Level 50
ThunderShock, Drill Peck, Fly, Double Edge

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
Been a few days since I last posted, I've only really played intermittently until today where I just smashed out Silph Co., the last 3 gyms and the final rival battle before the Champion match! Honestly felt like a bit of a slog but this part of Kanto always does for me. Silph Co. just draaaaaaags with the slow walking and the god-forsaken teleport buttons, not my forte. But I did it! Giovanni was a joke thanks to Gengar, and I finally got to take on Sabrina. Her gym scared me mainly due to my 3 Poison types (hence I was kind-of relying on Zapdos going into the battle) but honestly my team handled her gym trainers without major issue. I ended up sweeping her with Nidoking of all things, thanks to getting Earthquake from Silph Co. That was... odd.

I surfed to Cinnabar, got lost in Pokemon Mansion which I hate a little less than Silph Co. but not by much? Blaine was a Vaporeon sweep, no real explanation needed there. I then got lost in the Seafoam Islands trying to nab Articuno which dodged of all my Ultra Balls despite being in low health and paralysed until the last few (shoot I forgot to buy some for Moltres!) so that was fun. Giovanni got wrecked by Venusaur and Nidoking, and then Nidoking proceeded to sweep half of Blue's team outside of Charizard, Alakazam and Gyarados who I left for Zapdos to clear out. Got to Victory Road and saved, if I've got time tomorrow after lectures/drawing I'll just finish off the game and catch Mewtwo for a big finale. Planning on transferring my team + the legendaries I catch to Pokemon Bank -> Ultra Sun/Pokemon Home when I get to that stage, should all be good! Will have a lot of legendary birbs and Mewtwos by the time I clear each generation I think!

Red Team:
o_hs_003_m-1.png
Huu the Venusaur, Level 43
o_hs_034_1.png
Bumi the Nidoking, Level 43
Blizzard, Fire Blast, Earthquake, Rock Slide
o_hs_065_1.png
Pathik the Alakazam, Level 43
Flash, Thunder Wave, Psychic, Seismic Toss
o_hs_134_1.png
Paku the Vaporeon, Level 43
o_hs_094_1.png
Koh the Gengar, Level 43
o_hs_145_1.png
Azula the Zapdos, Level 53
Thunder, Drill Peck, Fly, Double Edge

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
Victory Road was uneventful, but I caught Moltres and trained my team to about Level 45 before taking on the Pokemon League! Here's how it went:

Lorelei - Venusaur 2HKOed Dewgong with Razor Leaf, but I didn't want to risk losing it to Cloyster so I sent out Zapdos to one-shot it with Thunder. I then did it again with Slowbro, 2HKOed Jynx with Drill Peck and 0HKOed Lapras with another Thunder. Easy win!

Bruno - Gengar destroyed Onix with a single Mega Drain and one-shot both Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee with Psychic. I accidentally brought Alakazam out versus Onix no.2 but I still took it and Machamp out with Psychic. I've struggled more against Gym Leaders, what a joke.

Agatha - Alakazam 2HKOed her first Gengar with Psychic (was quite surprising that it lived) but 0HKOed both Haunter and Golbat without major issue. I swapped for Nidoking to KO her Arbok and main Gengar with Earthquake. Another fight I didn't have to heal my team from afterwards.

Lance - led with Zapdos versus Gyarados - missed the first Thunder, tanked a Hyper Beam, killed with the second one. Nidoking came out to 2HKO Dragonair no.1 with Blizzard into Earthquake, second one dodged the first Blizzard but got smacked with the second one before falling to Earthquake. Got to love the AI thinking Agility will do damage to Nidoking because of the Psychic typing. Swapped into Vaporeon versus Aerodactyl, dodged a Supersonic and a Hyper Beam to two-shot with Surf into BubbleBeam. It then KOed Dragonite with Ice Beam for victory!

Blue - Pidgeot got 2HKOed by Nidoking's Blizzard after it tried to use Whirlwind and Sky Attack. In the Alakazam v Alakazam grudge match mine paralysed his with Thunder Wave before spamming Seismic Toss for the win. Venusaur one-shot Rhydon with Razor Leaf as that match-up tends to go. Zapdos took on Exeggutor with Drill Peck, although we did get put to sleep in the process a couple of times (seriously who uses Hypnosis twice in a row?) Blue's Gyarados fell to Gengar's Thunderbolt after tanking a Dragon Rage, and Vaporeon cleared Charizard out with Surf!

Credits rolled and after that I headed off to capture Mewtwo, which I just threw a Master Ball at. And with that, the game is done! 20hrs and 35mins of play time, not bad at all. Here's the squad that cleared my first Gen I game, and my first Kanto game (since Let's Go doesn't really count to me)! I'll discuss them in the appropriate thread, but stay tuned folks! I'm staying in this thread when I begin playing Crystal over the weekend!

Red Team:
003.png
034.png
065.png
134.png
094.png
145.png

o_hs_003_m-1.png
Huu the Venusaur, Level 46
o_hs_034_1.png
Bumi the Nidoking, Level 46
Blizzard, Fire Blast, Earthquake, Rock Slide
o_hs_065_1.png
Pathik the Alakazam, Level 46
Flash, Thunder Wave, Psychic, Seismic Toss
o_hs_134_1.png
Paku the Vaporeon, Level 47
o_hs_094_1.png
Koh the Gengar, Level 46
o_hs_145_1.png
Azula the Zapdos, Level 56
Thunder, Drill Peck, Fly, Double Edge

Last edited:

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
Apologies for posting 4 times in a row but nobody is playing Gen I or II and I did recently start playing Crystal so it kinda warrants a new post? I'll edit this one from now on unless someone else posts and saves you all from my spamming! Luckily I've actually made a lot of progress since the weekend and have just beaten Morty, so I figured now would be a good time to pause and post some progress!

• Chose Totodile as my starter, named him Chomper
  • Defeated Rival at Cherrygrove City and named him Silver
  • Caught my second team member, a Phanpy, on Route 46 and immediately regretted my choice because Phanpy was defeated by almost anything I put it up against - I named them Dumbo
  • Caught my third team member, Dunsparce, in Dark Cave after initially intending to use Teddiursa but joking with my roommate about using the weird worm boi if I found it first - I named them Darren
  • Cleared Sprout Tower & Falkner's gym with Dunsparce since my team hates Grass types and Rage spam is surprisingly strong
  • Decided to capture my fourth team member early and nabbed a Zubat in Union Cave who I named Vengeance after the Batman trailer, spent an hour grinding on the routes near Violet City to get it to the same level as my team
  • Took down Bugsy with a Zubat + Dunsparce combo - Zubat cleared the coccoons and Dunsparce paralysed Scyther with Glare and spammed Rage to win
  • Discovered I cannot get a Heracross (my fifth team member) until after Whitney thanks to my trainer ID so progressed to Goldenrod where I bought TMs for my team and future team members and then took on the routes above Goldenrod before Sudowood - Totodile evolved into Croconaw during this time
  • Whitney was defeated by a combination of Zubat + Dunsparce yet again using the same tactics as before
  • Captured Sudowoodo and finally got to Ecruteak City! Defeated the Kimono Girls and my Rival, met Suicune and finally caught Hercules the Heracross (who I proceeded to grind on Route 37 for an hour or so) - Zubat evolved into Golbat during this time
  • Morty was a pain in the rear but Phanpy was the surprising ace of the fight, taking down Gastly + Gengar with spammed Mud Slap so Hypnosis always missed before letting Golbat take down the Haunters with Bite
  • Returned to Goldenrod to grab my sixth team member - Halo the Eevee! They'll be an Umbreon although I'm currently stretched thin on the happiness grinding with Golbat (who I got to level 23 hoping I'd worked out the happiness scale enough to see it evolve - it did not)
  • Saved in front of the hairdresser in Goldenrod City - I'm busy now so I'll just remember to get Golbat a daily hair cut and see if it evolves with a bit of grinding before focusing on Eevee (although I may focus on Eevee instead since Golbat is actually usable - thoughts?)
Current thoughts: This is a wacky team and honestly I am living for it! I pin this mostly on Dunsparce, who was put on the squad more as a meme than anything else but it's actually pretty good thanks to Glare and my new love for the move Rage. Phanpy isn't very good but will improve in due time I think, Heracross hits disgustingly hard despite having worse STAB than basically everyone else bar Phanpy, Croconaw feels pretty reliable to use, Eevee I haven't used yet and Golbat needs to evolve soon pretty please. This is not a "good" team - my Red team is what I consider a good team because everyone was solid from the get-go, didn't have any major issues and felt reliable. These guys do not, and yet I'm having a blast using them! Probably because I've never actually used Donphan, Dunsparce, Crobat or Heracross before and have no clue how good they are, whilst I had some idea of how my Red team would turn out. Once I get past the happiness issue I'll be good to rock and roll.

EDIT: Did some running around near Goldenrod for an hour or two, then levelled up Golbat again and they evolved into Crobat! So now my efforts can be focused on Eevee. Tried to take on the lower levels of Union Cave but my team is a bit weak still, so I'll get Heracross and Eevee to 22 (plus some happiness on Eevee) before heading to Mahogany/Olivine and then go back to train there.

Crystal Team:
o_hs_159_1.png
Chomper the Croconaw, Level 22
Cut, Bite, Ice Punch, Surf
o_hs_231_1.png
Dumbo the Phanpy, Level 23
Headbutt, Rollout, Defense Curl, Mud Slap
o_hs_206_1.png
Darren the Dunsparce, Level 23
Rage, Dig, Glare, Headbutt
o_hs_169_1.png
Vengeance the Crobat, Level 24
Leech Life, Confuse Ray, Swift, Bite
o_hs_214_m-1.png
Hercules the Heracross, Level 21
Headbutt, Fury Cutter, Horn Attack, Rock Smash
o_hs_133_1.png
Halo the Eevee, Level 20
Tackle, Tail Whip, Shadow Ball, Headbutt

Last edited:

TokoyamiTheDark

The Purple Karakasa
In the 3DS VC Crystal version, I caught roaming Raikou with a Fast Ball, roaming Entei with a Love Ball and non-roaming Suicune with a Moon Ball... oddly enough, all three balls are glitched in GSC (Fast Ball relies if wild Pokémon's speed is over 100 rather than if they can flee or not, Love Ball only works if both Pokémons are the SAME SPECIES with opposite gender while Moon Balls work with those who evolves with a... Burn Heal!???)

Wow. That made my day. I wonder if I could do the same in USUM for my Pokemon Shield when the Crown Tundra comes out... or maybe Shiny-hunting, who knows. :)

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
After a couple more days of running around and getting my Eevee haircuts in Goldenrod City I finally got bored enough to just continue on with the game and clear out some routes! I first headed to Mahogany Town and the Lake of Rage, before going the other way to Olivine City and the Lighthouse. I then went back to Union Cave to take on the trainers there before returning again to the Lake of Rage to capture the Red Gyarados and begin the adventure of clearing Team Rocket out of their Mahogany hideout (with Lance's help). With that complete I surfed to Cianwood City and took on Eusine after he got all excited about Suicune - my newly evolved Donphan swept him with Defense Curl + Rollout.

Chuck was not a difficult gym leader even if Crobat or the rest of my team didn't know any Flying type moves - Croconaw 2HKOed Primeape with Surf and Heracross beat Poliwrath down with repeated Strength attacks. Jasmine was also not a challenge thanks to Dunsparce's Dig 0HKOing both Magnemite and Croconaw's Surf 2HKOing Steelix even through Sunny Day (although it's kind-of cool that her Steelix knows Sunny Day). After the battle Croconaw evolved into Feraligatr and I flew to Mahogany Town to take on Pryce. Eevee KOed Seel with Headbutt, Heracross beat Dewgong with a couple of Rock Smash + Strength attacks and Dunsparce helped whittle Piloswine down enough for Heracross to revenge KO with Strength.

Goldenrod Radio Tower was a boring drag I'm not going to lie, but I cleared through it easily enough and finally got take on my rival in the Underground - Eevee KOed Golbat with Headbutt and Haunter with Shadow Ball. Heracross took down Sneasel and Magnemite with no major issues and weakened Meganium enough for Dunsparce to KO with Strength, returning the favour for the Mahogany Gym. After the match Eevee evolved into Umbreon! I then saved the game.

Crystal Team:
o_hs_160_1.png
Chomper the Feraligatr, Level 30
Cut, Bite, Ice Punch, Surf
o_hs_232_1.png
Dumbo the Donphan, Level 30
Strength, Rollout, Defense Curl, Mud Slap
o_hs_206_1.png
Darren the Dunsparce, Level 30
Strength, Dig, Glare, Screech
o_hs_169_1.png
Vengeance the Crobat, Level 31
Wing Attack, Fly, Swift, Bite
o_hs_214_m-1.png
Hercules the Heracross, Level 30
Strength, Fury Cutter, Horn Attack, Rock Smash
o_hs_197_1.png
Halo the Umbreon, Level 31
Quick Attack, Bite, Shadow Ball, Headbutt

WalesNote

Got my first badge, and it was quite easy, too. Cyndaquil evolved into Quilava.
Explored the Ruins of Alph and caught an Unown, traded a Bellsprout for an Onix.
Now, Quilava and Spinarak are both at lv14.

I've gotten proof that the leaks about Sword and Shield were fake and made in roblox. According to my source,

"i faked it. i reverse engineered the sword and shield source code and intentionally made the programming super incompotent as a joke. i did it in assembly, my favorite programming language, as a gag. i then proceed add in every cut pokemon and megas as a joke. i then wrote code in yuzu that wasn't incompotent as a joke. i then modelled hundreds of trees ranging from barely started to completely finalized and wrote dex entries and fake moves for everything as a joke. i also made hundreds of unused pokemon models, you guessed it, as a joke. i also intentionally programmed in bugs, made fake bug reports, and refused to address the bugs all for a laugh. and i did this in six languages as a joke.
you all fell for it."

i knew it, the leaks were fake all along, the elite hacker known as 4chan lied to us.

There won't be any more leaks, they're over, go home.

Visit pokemon frigo central at beytah.club for more information on the romhack, frigo returns

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
So since my last post I have actually cleared the Pokemon League and am about to head into Kanto! The game difficulty picked up a lot the closer I got to Blackthorn especially with such low levels on my team. The Team Rocket business wasn't too difficult and I cleared out the admins without major issue. Clair was the exact opposite since her team is terrifying! Luckily Crobat was able to clear two of her Dragonair without sustaining any major damage before Feraligatr took out the third with Ice Punch. Kingdra then took out Feraligatr so I swapped to Dunsparce to paralyse and weaken its defence with Screech to allow Heracross to come in and KO with Strength right at the end. I did the Dragons Den stuff and got my badge and TM for Dragonbreath, allowing me to head into Kanto!

Kanto was a bit of a mess since Feraligatr cannot learn Waterfall in these games, so I had to ditch Dunsparce for the Red Gyarados so I could ascend Tohjo Falls and actually make it to the Pokemon League. Johto's Victory Road was awfully underwhelming (there's no trainers except Silver) and Silver was pretty easy to beat with my under-levelled squad. I decided to grind to Level 37, used my 3 Rare Candies on Dunsparce because Dig is awful to use in Victory Road and got ready for the League! My team's lack of strength was woefully apparent during this minor grind - Donphan's lack of decent STAB made fighting the Rock types an absolute pain, same with Heracross. Dunsparce was borderline unusable, Crobat I didn't even try but Umbreon did surprisingly well thanks to Dark being special in these games. Feraligatr was solid as well, as was to be expected.

To the Elite 4! Will was basically an Umbreon sweep since Bite spam took out the first Xatu, Slowbro, Jynx and Exeggutor. The second Xatu I believe was defeated by Feraligatr with Ice Punch. Koga was the worst Elite 4 member to deal with - Donphan cleared his Ariados and Venomoth with Rollout but Forretress always went for Protect to break the Rollout run. I used Feraligatr instead to Surf + Whirlpool the Forretress to death, spammed Bite on Crobat to clear out the Muk and swore angrily whilst Feraligatr finally KOed Crobat with Ice Punch after missing several times thanks to Double Team. Bruno was easy - Crobat swept all his Fighting types with Fly + Wing Attack, Feraligatr took out Onix with Surf. Karen's Umbreon was cleared out by Heracross, Gengar fell to Umbreon, Vileplume fell to Crobat, Murkrow was 2HKOed by Donphan and Dunsparce 2HKOed Houndoom with +2 Dig after sacrificing everyone else to heal him up.

Lance was scary because my team, as you may have noticed, has no Electric moves or ways to kill Gyarados. I used Dunsparce + Heracross for this - Dunsparce paralysed with Glare and then lowered its defence to -4 before weakening it with Strength, then Heracross used Strength again to KO. Donphan used its Defence Curl + Rollout combo to defeat Aerodactyl but fell to Dragonite's Blizzard. Feraligatr then dodged every attack the next two Dragonites used to KO both with Ice Punch! It took out the third one too but got KOed by Outrage in the process. It then beat Charizard with Surf and I became the Champion! Now it's time to take on Kanto, then probably the Pokemon League again, then catch the legendaries, then beat Red. Then I can move onto another game, at long last.

EDIT: So I beat the Kanto gyms pretty easily, I honestly can't remember how I did half of them but everyone got some use here and there. Turns out Leftovers on Dunsparce is awesome, who knew? I proceeded to take on the Elite 4 again and won handily, so I may repeat that a couple more times to get everyone up to level 50 or so before I take on Red. I went ahead and caught Celebi and Suicune but Whirl Islands caught me out and I had to reset so I now only have Celebi, which has put me in a very irritable mood I must admit! I'm taking a break now since my 3DS battery is low but when I next play I'll catch Suicune again and probably Lugia as well. I'd like to capture Raikou/Entei as well (plus Ho Oh) but I spent an hour trying to find either dog and it never happened so I don't know if it's worth it? Thoughts on this would be appreciated - I do want to capture every legendary from every game I play but screw wasting hours hunting down these dogs with low catch rates and constant fleeing, you know? Maybe I'll just limit to having one of every legendary from any game I play rather than from every game.

As for team thoughts (since that thread basically died) - these guys aren't very good. Even the best team members feel pretty weak especially compared to my Red team. Feraligatr is reliable but it feels lackluster due to relying on special moves to deal damage, Donphan and Heracross both lack STAB to go with their amazing Attack stats so they're not amazing, Dunsparce pretty much needs Screech to deal solid damage to anything, Crobat is good but has weak moves and Umbreon is never one-shotting anything, albeit it's also not dying. If I had to name an MVP it would probably be Crobat? With Umbreon and Heracross right behind. Feraligatr is good but disappointing since I thought it would be better and Donphan/Dunsparce just aren't good.

Crystal Team:
o_hs_160_1.png
Chomper the Feraligatr, Level 47
Bite, Ice Punch, Surf, Whirlpool
o_hs_232_1.png
Dumbo the Donphan, Level 47
Strength, Rollout, Defense Curl, Mud Slap
o_hs_206_1.png
Darren the Dunsparce, Level 47
o_hs_169_1.png
Vengeance the Crobat, Level 47
Steel Wing, Fly, Giga Drain, Bite
o_hs_214_m-1.png
Hercules the Heracross, Level 48
Strength, Fury Cutter, Earthquake, Cut
o_hs_197_1.png
Halo the Umbreon, Level 48
Faint Attack, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Mean Look

Last edited:

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
Well people I have done it - Generation II is complete! I have captured all the legendaries and beaten Red, both of which were an exercise in patience and insanity. I captured a Jynx in Ice Path and grinded them up against the Elite 4 to hit Level 40 (it's really good actually, just sucks that I hate the design) so I could use it to capture Entei and Raikou. The latter I snatched up in a Master Ball because it outsped Jynx (even with 10 Carbos blasted onto it) and the former I grinded out with Dream Eater, Ice Punch and a whole lot of Lovely Kiss. Lugia and Ho Oh took a couple of resets each because they kept critting my team but I got them! So all is good.

I grinded my team versus the Elite 4 to level 50 before taking on Red and concluding this generation and this game, and he was still a pain to defeat! Although that's hardly surprising given his levels (seriously how are you meant to hit level 70 in these games?) - I led with Donphan who one-shot Pikachu with Earthquake, Crobat 3HKOed Venusaur with Fly, Umbreon took down Espeon with Shadow Ball, Dunsparce weakened Snorlax with Screech + Glare so Donphan could claim a second KO with Earthquake... and then we hit Blastoise. Crobat weakened it a bit with Fly before being destroyed by Blizzard. Heracross weakened it with Earthquake before it was KOed with Surf. Umbreon then had to Flash hax to win with Psychic. Donphan was then out-paced and one-shot by Charizard and Feraligatr could only 3HKO with Surf whilst being 3HKOed itself, so I had to revive Umbreon to get a Max Revive off on Feraligatr to claim the win! And now it is done.

So how was the team in the end? Disappointing, for sure. Donphan only just got Earthquake after 16 gym badges and Heracross still didn't get Megahorn, so move options were rubbish in this game (at least for my team). Feraligatr was surprisingly average in a game where I thought it would be really good so that sucked. In actuality Umbreon and Crobat were probably my MVPs - Crobat didn't lose a single fight until Red and Umbreon was so tanky and still hit reasonably hard that I always felt comfortable using them. Dunsparce was a meme but gained some resurgence when we nabbed some Leftovers to help out with that high HP stat. I quite liked it primarily for utility over actual in-game performance, but it was good!

Onto Gen III now and a new part of the forums! Better start planning my Sapphire team actually...

Crystal Team:
160.png
232.png
206.png
169.png
214.png
197.png

o_hs_160_1.png
Chomper the Feraligatr, Level 51
Bite, Ice Punch, Surf, Whirlpool
o_hs_232_1.png
Dumbo the Donphan, Level 51
Strength, Rollout, Defense Curl, Earthquake
o_hs_206_1.png
Darren the Dunsparce, Level 51
o_hs_169_1.png
Vengeance the Crobat, Level 51
Steel Wing, Fly, Giga Drain, Bite
o_hs_214_m-1.png
Hercules the Heracross, Level 51
Strength, Fury Cutter, Earthquake, Cut
o_hs_197_1.png
Halo the Umbreon, Level 51
Faint Attack, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Flash

Last edited:

Ariki

Currently on a slow level grind to level 25 for all six of my mons. Training on route 43 as I prepare to take on Morty in Ecruteak City. Managed to evolve my Spinarak and Bellsprout. Most of the team sit between levels 22 - 24 currently.

Ariki

So, I'm just logging in to update where I am at.

Originally, I aimed to get my Pokemon up to level 25 but I've shifted the goalposts to level 35. My reasoning is to do lots, and lots, and lots of grinding now before I get to the Pokemon league. I remember the last time I grinded in Gen 2 and it was not fun grinding on routes 26 and 27. I know that I can defeat the league under levelled, but I want to make the most of my battles in Johto before heading over to Kanto. I want to hit the mid 40's by the time I take on Lance. I'll have to reassess once I restart collecting badges again as to whether or not I will need to grind around Mahogany Town/Ice Path/Dragon's Den.

What I find helps with the grind is multitasking and maximising downtime on public transport. Tonight, while we were watching shows online I whipped my 3DS out to get some solid grinding in.

So at the time of posting my team are at the following levels:

Ariados - Level 35
Weepinbell - Level 27
Noctowl - Level 26
Quilaca - Level 23
Poliwag - Level 22
Furret - Level 22

When Ariados hit the level 30s it was most satisfying being able to use Ariados on its lonesome without needing the help of a teammate. I'm still on route 43 which is full of Pidgeottos, Noctowls, and Farfetch'ds.

I looked up how to get a lucky egg in gen 2 and wow...the odds are so low, I'm surprised anyone has gotten a lucky egg in this generation.

Ariki

So I've been playing off and on since the last time I wrote in. I'm happy to say all of my Pokemon are now level 35 and I'm now heading back to Ecruteak after clearing out all the trainers on Route 43 and all the ones I skipped on the way to Mahogany Town. I've clocked up 25 hours to date - what a mission grinding is! I only hope that it's enough to at least see me through the E4...