• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

1st/2nd Gen Recent Happenings Thread

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Decided over the Thanksgiving holiday that I would complete my dex in my Crystal VC since I had the means (2 DS and the VC's split between the two for trading purposes). It has been an interesting but fun challenge. As it stands today, I'm at 196/250 with most of the missing Pokemon being trade evolutions, stone evolutions, and legendries. I'm trying to do this all without abusing cloning glitches or even using my other VC's for items. It's been a fun process and cathartic to just sit down and relax with an older game. Gen 2 definitely plays differently than other generations but it's slow and methodical play is rewarding when I'm not pressed to do anything. My biggest gripe is how long and tedious Friendship evolutions are. The lack of a Soothe Bell and then not having a large area to bike makes it a bit less mindless. Daisy does give a huge boost but it's also not always easy to hit that hour window so I've mostly been reliant on the Haircutting brothers in the underground.

Currently I just finished breeding my last two Tyrogue's so I can get Hitmonchan and Hitmontop for my dex. Hitmonchan will be easy but I'm not looking forward to Hitmontop. I think my plan is to use the daycare to level 19 and then use vitamins as needed. Won't be difficult but more just annoying. Also have been working on Dragonair into Dragonite, but that's a slow process as well.

While I have a living dex already, and having a full dex (though non-living) in the VC doesn't really do anything for me, it will be fun to say that my main VC games are fully complete and have a set dex.

Rodpaco

I've been trying a nuzlocke on Yellow, now at my third attempt in a few weeks! :p I have 5 badges and so far I would say my team is a pretty solid one. Has the potential to become my best ever team in any Kanto game: Nidoking lv 38, Snorlax lv 38, Jolteon lv 39, Venusaur lv 40, Blastoise lv 43, Charizard lv 43.

Additional rules: can't use rares candies and master ball, and can't catch legendaries. (only until after I win the pokémon league, I'll consider my nuzlocke over by then)

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Red floating things? What red floating things?

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Got my Crystal dex to 205 and I think I'm going to take a little break. Most of what I have left is trade evolutions and Legendary Pokemon. The tedius part is trading things from one DS VC to the other DS VC, and then trading again to the other VC game on the original DS. Easy but just kind of annoying with how slow everything is.

I figure a break is good though. Leveling in GSC isn't easy or exciting and I just got done with Hitmontop as my last real challenge Pokemon to get. Now it's just kind of a waiting game for one more Water and Fire Stone.

Rodpaco

I stopped playing for a few weeks in my Yellow nuzlocke because I got a bit unmotivated by how frigging strong Sabrina is in this game! Her whole team is lv 50, which is more than 10 lv higher than in any other Kanto game. Now, in the last few days, quite a lot has been happening. I ended up beating the Saffron gym much more easily than I expected, thanks to my terrific Charizard... But I lost my Blastoise in the process! :( #RIP
Worse, it was clearly avoidable. My Charizard (lv 50) beat Sabrina's Abra without any difficulty, but then I thought I would rest him for Alakazam and that my Blastoise (lv 45) could take on Kadabra... Huge mistake! My Blastoise got wiped out. Then my (heroic!) Charizard easily took on both Kadabra and even Alakazam without suffering much damage. So Blastoise's death was clearly unnecessary.

The 7th and 8th gyms, on the other hand, were both pretty easy. And Lapras has taken Blastoise's place in my team, which now looks like this: Lapras lv 33, Snorlax lv 41, Nidoking lv 41, Jolteon lv 42, Venusaur lv 42, Charizard lv 54. Still way too weak for the pokémon league (except Charizard), I want to get all of them to lv 50, at least.

I recently restarted my VC Yellow. Currently getting ready to take on Brock. My male Nidoran, whose name is Dude, is the strongest member of my team at present (level 12), and I'm hoping his Double Kick will quickly make short work of Brock's Onix.

I've taken some time to the side to train up my Metapod, Frii, into a Butterfree. Right in front of it level-wise are Pij the Pidgey at level 11, my Pikachu called Pika at level 10, and at only level 5 I have Brawly the Mankey.

I'm enjoying the challenge of returning to Gen I, even though it can be slow at times compared to Let's Go. I'm also excited Blue will have a Vaporeon in my playthrough, since I lost to him at Professor Oak's Lab but beat him outside Viridian City. Pika can totally take on Vaporeon. :)

Rodpaco

Update on my Yellow nuzlocke:

My lv 41 Nidoking got killed in the fight against Blue in route 22 (where he appears after you win all 8 badges). #RIP
Fortunately, in route 23 I encountered a lv 41 Nidorina!

Here's my team now: Snorlax, Lapras, Venusaur, Nidoqueen, Jolteon, and Charizard. All at lv 44 (except Charizard, lv 55).

Now, the harsh reality is that getting them all to lv 50 may not be enough. Because most of the Elite 4's (and Blue's) pokémon will be around lv 55-65. Getting them all to lv 55 would be better, but it's gonna take A LOT of grinding... xD

Rodpaco

Final update on my Yellow nuzlocke: my Nidoqueen and then my Snorlax got killed while I was training them in Victory Road. Still, I grinded even harder with the rest of my team and got them all not to lv 55 but to lv 60!

Here I was at the Pokémon League with only 4 pokémon! But 4 very strong pokémon, all at lv 60: Charizard, Venusaur, Jolteon, and Lapras. I ended up winning without much difficulty even though Blue's Jolteon killed my Venusaur and my Charizard in the process. But my Jolteon won against Blue's Jolteon.

So today is the first time I ever won the pokémon league in a nuzlocke!

Now on to Crystal... ;p

Rodpaco

Final update on my Yellow nuzlocke: my Nidoqueen and then my Snorlax got killed while I was training them in Victory Road. Still, I grinded even harder with the rest of my team and got them all not to lv 55 but to lv 60!

Here I was at the Pokémon League with only 4 pokémon! But 4 very strong pokémon, all at lv 60: Charizard, Venusaur, Jolteon, and Lapras. I ended up winning without much difficulty even though Blue's Jolteon killed my Venusaur and my Charizard in the process. But my Jolteon won against Blue's Jolteon.

Now on to Crystal... ;p

NeedsAName

Now on to Crystal... ;p
You double-posted

ToonsJazzLover

Just recently brought Yellow and Crystal on the Virtual Console...

Yellow:
Named my rival the old fashioned way (Gary)
I’m dedicating my team almost exactly like Ash’s in the first season of the anime
Caterpie evolved twice before the first gym
In one battle, I made Metapod do a Harden battle with another Metapod to replicate that scene from the anime.
Did 2 hrs of grinding so I can beat Brock with a Mankey
Current Pokemon: Pikachu, Pidgey, Butterfree, Mankey
(Current time played: 3hrs)

Crystal:
I started playing yesterday but I restarted it this morning because I wanted to play as the female protagonist and I wanted to catch a Phanpy at Route 46
Since I went with the Water starter on SoulSilver, I started off with a Fire type for this playthrough
Named the rival Silver.
Sentret will be used as a HM Slave. I will drop it off by the Pokemon Daycare to level up and evolve eventually.
Registered a few Trainers to PokeGear. Of course, Youngester Joey kept calling and it’s almost the same message every time.
Trained with a Geodude so it can defeat the first gym. And it was a piece of cake.
Since the second half of Route 32 Trainers’ Pokemon is full of Water types that are weak against my current team, I actually skipped them until Zubat is strong enough to stand a chance.
Ended my daily progress by exploring Union Cave and arriving at Azalea Town
Current Pokémon: Cyndaquil, Sentret, Phanpy, Geodude, Zubat, an Egg. (3:02)

Madison M

Trying to fight the Elite Four and failing at it because Bruno is way too hard. My team is just underleveled but I'm not patient enough to do anything about it. Plus I have no good counter to his Machamp besides maybe one.

My team is
  • Shiny Jynx "Shiny", level 38
  • Shiny Gyarados "Rage", level 33
  • Xatu "Quetzal", level 33
  • Eevee "Moon", level 33 and I'm struggling to raise his friendship to get Umbreon
  • Typhlosion "Biscotti", level 38
  • Skarmory, level 32 and I need to nickname.

zhoana

Hi I started playing in the virtual console Pokémon yellow but since it’s impossible to get Pokédex I’m relying on glitches. Now I ran out of trainers to fight anyone know how to do the ditto glitch without trainers left? Thanks

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?

Now on to Crystal... ;p

Great job! :D

I'm going to start a Red/Blue or Yellow Nuzlocke as we speak. These are the rules I'm taking into account:
- If it faints, it's dead and deleted.
- First pokémon of the route that fits later rules.
- No duplicates.
- No items in battle
- No overlevelling past the gymleaders ace prior to starting the battle.
- Set-mode.
- I can only use pokémon who have been tangled with in later generations. This includes: having received a baby form, branched evolution, having received a different regional form, a new regional evolution or simply a new evolution.

For instance, I can't use Nidoran, Spearow, Mankey or Ekans, but I can use Jigglypuff since it got the Fairy-type attached to it in later games. I can also use Poliwag and the rest of its line, since Politoed exists and similarly Raichu, since Pichu and Alolan Raichu exist.

I wasn't planning on including temporary forms like Mega's or Gigantamax, but facing Brock with just a level 14 Rattata and Pikachu just seems like madness to me. That being said, the difference between Red and Yellow will likely be crucial. The level-cap for Brock is 14 and at that point in Red, Pikachu only has Thundershock, Growl and T-wave - which means its only function would be to Growl before fainting, but that leaves me with a Rattata until the game opens up more (Jigglypuff and Geodude/Clefairy will be added shortly after leaving PewterCity). Whereas Pikachu in Yellow would have Quick Attack as well as Tail Whip. Sandshrew is also an addition if I get past Brock (instead of Jigglypuff). I'll just see how things go. And if I whipe to Brock several times, well.. those are things to consider. Allowing for Mega's and Gigantamax forms just opens up the Kanto-dex by so much too the point where it isn't even funny. Stuff like Gyarados and Lapras are suddenly shoe-ins on the team for instance.

So yeah, with that said, I pretty much have to box my starter as well after I get a Rattata - unless I'm playing Yellow.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
slow progress here. started digital crystal copy on 3ds. beat elite 4 long ago and tried red on mt silver. lost a few times due to underleveled but i was expecting that. managed to squeeze out a win but snorlax is a beast when my team is 10lvl under his team and only 1 stronger one on my team suicune 5 levels under his lowest. got donphan to deal with pikachu. recently came across misdreavus, first ghost i decided to catch and it learns mean look, perish song and is immune to all of snorlax moves. got the team to 65 and 1 level 70 suicune but donphan 62 and misdreavus to 46. snorlax looks much easier to beat until RNG swaps him out

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I'm starting a quick run of Gold. Here's the team I've planned:
- Chikorita
- Phanpy
- Houndour
- Chinchou
- Girafarig
- Forretress/Hitmontop

Lately I've been busy with my BDSP Water-type run, but sometimes my son likes to hog the Switch to play MineCraft. This is for those moments. :p

Just in case anybody was wondering, I do customize these short runs for enjoyment purposes. As such, I'm going to catch a Phanpy where you can normally catch it in Crystal (5% chance just north of the first route) - and Houndour where you can normally capture Growlithe/Vulpix right after Violet City near Sudowoodo. I don't think these changes affect the gameplay at all.

It's one of the most redundant things in the entire franchise to have lower-tiered Dark-types locked in postgame. However you try to think about it, a Dark-type like Houndour that evolves at level 24 should not be postgame. It's idiotic to be able to catch it only after you've beaten the Champion once already. Also, why give us the option for Growlithe or Vulpix and not give us a good way to get a Fire-stone before Kanto. -.-

And I don't know what Murkrow is doing in that route either. As it's not strong at all in GenII (and whenever I plan to use it, I mostly put it somewhere like Goldenrod since you can normally have a Noctowl by then. Also, with a bit of work you can have a level 2 Togetic, a level 23 Crobat and/or Xatu at level 25. I consider most of these to be better then Murkrow, so yeah, no clue.

/rantover.