• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

1st/2nd Gen Recent Happenings Thread

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I’ve recently started a brand new run in Crystal that I’m hoping will be my biggest ever.

I started with Cyndaquil and worked through the first stages of the game in relatively standard fashion, catching nothing until I got to Violet City. There, I managed to snatch a female Growlithe, which has since become my main battler. I powered through Sprout Tower, the Violet City Gym, Union Cave, Slowpoke Well, the Azalea Town Gym, and Ilex Forest with my team of two, grabbing a Psyduck along the way to serve as my HM mule.

Once I got to Route 34 is where my plan hatched. I’m currently soft-resetting for an Odd Egg as I’m hoping for a shiny Cleffa, Igglybuff, or Pichu - any of them will let me get a shiny that can pass DVs into the Field egg group, either directly or through a Snubbul. The idea is that from there, I can breed at a much higher chance of shinies from various egg groups to build up a full shiny team, and eventually a full shiny dex, much faster than normal, and both more reliably and sooner on a single cartridge than in almost any other game.

The real question would be whether I want to make things even easier on myself by using the shiny Ditto trick by breeding a shiny Smeargle. That’s basically an ethical/moral question so I’ll figure it out once I’m actually to the point where it matters - which, if I recall, won’t be until I beat Morty, as wild Smeargle are restricted to a Surf-protected section of the Ruins of Alph.

My intent is to eventually build a shiny team for my main play-through of Johto and Kanto, then move on to conquering all ten level modes of the Battle Tower with shiny teams, then complete my shiny dex. I don’t know if it’ll even be possible to get a shiny Mew and I feel like the Gen 1 legendaries would be extremely tedious to complete, but everything else - even the roamers, as long as that might take - is possible! Currently, I’m at 12 resets for the Odd Egg without any of the three Pokémon that let me trigger this run - if I make it to a hundred, I’ll probably give up and wait until I get Surf and use the guaranteed shiny of the Red Gyarados to kick-start things.

Last edited:

zolios

Earlier this week I decided to finally do my second ever Yellow playthrough, first one happened back when the game first came out on the 3DS VC back in 2016. Since I didn't use Pikachu last time I decided to use it this time around in order to have the "authentic" Yellow experience. I have 3 Badges so far with a team of Pikachu, Nidoqueen and the newly caught Horsea. Skipped Erika for now until I get at least one more Pokemon on my team.

zolios

A quick update on my Yellow playthrough. I now have 6 Badges and a team of Pikachu, Nidoqueen, Seadra, Tauros and Exeggutor. Just did the little surfing Pikachu minigame and I'll be surfing to the Cinnabar Island soon.

zolios

Today I finally completed my Pokemon Yellow playthrough. I was underleveled but I had no issues with the Elite 4 or the Champion, all 5 battles were pretty easy and Lorelei was the only one that managed to faint more than one of my Pokemon (she defeated 3 somehow, usually she is the easiest to beat but not today I guess).

trz3etV.jpeg

Vindicated30.6

Ace and Aspie, for life and light!
I started a Crystal run yesterday after work in memory of Iwata, who made it so Gen 2 could have two regions and 16 gyms. I decided I would do a run with only Pokemon that appear before the first gym. (I'm counting Togepi.) So my team will end up being:
Typhlosion - Megumin (from Konosuba)
Donphan - Vegeta Jr. (because elephants have Trunks)
Ursaring - Real Akuma (reference to Rillakuma and Akuma from Street Fighter)
Togetic - Oocca (from Skyward Sword)
Haunter - VincePrice (the king of spooky)
Poliwrath - Katara (the Waterbender)

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Since the 3DS is shutting down soon and my desire to have Pokémon with rare moves exists I decided to download Pokémon Crystal today and begin another adventure through Johto. I’ll be traveling through the region attempting to obtain all 8 Johto gym badges with my partner Totodile.

Det. Viper

I started my journey through Johto roughly one week ago. I have made my way to Ecruteak and started gathering a nice party of Pokémon. I made quick work of both Falkner and Bugsy but was quickly reminded of the horrors of facing Whitney and her Miltank. Took me three times to beat her as that Rollout was busting through 2-3 Mud-Slaps and taking me out but on the third time I managed to finally not get walled by Attract.

As of now I have a team of 5:
• Croconaw (22)
• Cyndaquil (22)
• Bayleaf (21)
• Nidorino (21)
• Eevee (20)

Det. Viper

I defeated the Elite Four on Monday and received my ticket to travel to mainland Kanto. However before I traveled to new places I decided to catch a few legendary Pokémon. Managed to catch Suicune, Raikou, Entei and Ho-oh. I spent some time shiny hunting Celebi but got bored of that after two days and gave up on it (I already have 4 shiny Celebi so I don’t mind not getting this one.) At this point all that’s left is to travel to Kanto and complete the gym challenge there.

I have a full team at this point.
Meganium (45)
Typhlosion (45)
Feraligatr (46)
Nidoking (46)
Espeon (46)
Dragonair (46)

Det. Viper

Am I the only one playing a Generation I or II game right now? In Crystal I have saved the Kanto Power Plant and have costed every town and city in Kanto and then will challenge the gym leaders in the correct order here shortly.

At the same time I have both Crystal and Silver going in order to obtain some rare move Pokémon. I now have both Gastly and Abra knowing Zap Cannon and a few Phanpy with Water Gun. My next one will be Charmander with Sandstorm. And since I have been unsuccessful in the trade forums obtaining I am working on Squirtle with Confusion. Trying to get a female Squirtle hatched right now is the bane of my existence since it takes forever for the game to generate an egg and just as long to hatch an egg. Hopefully I can have all this done before the end of this week.

Vindicated30.6

I need to go back to my VC copy of Crystal. Phanpy and Teddiursa being available before the first gym makes it so much easier. Too bad Heracross is such a pain to find.

zolios

I started a new VC Crystal playthrough a few days ago because I want to get one more Celebi for my HOME collection just in case they decide to shut down Pokemon Bank servers anytime soon because I don't trust Nintendo and TPC to keep a service running for a very long time when that service doesn't make them money anymore. So anyways, I've already got 5 Badges and almost a full team. Actually I'm going to catch a Seel soon to be my last team member since I wanted to use the often overlooked Dewgong for a long time now. The other 5 Pokemon on my team are: Feraligatr, Fearow, Vileplume, Sudowoodo and Pinsir.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I started a new VC Crystal playthrough a few days ago because I want to get one more Celebi for my HOME collection just in case they decide to shut down Pokemon Bank servers anytime soon because I don't trust Nintendo and TPC to keep a service running for a very long time when that service doesn't make them money anymore. So anyways, I've already got 5 Badges and almost a full team. Actually I'm going to catch a Seel soon to be my last team member since I wanted to use the often overlooked Dewgong for a long time now. The other 5 Pokemon on my team are: Feraligatr, Fearow, Vileplume, Sudowoodo and Pinsir.
I don’t think Bank will be going offline for the next few years. Remember that a lot of Gen 5 stuff is still not available outside of that Gen’s games. Gen 5 and the 3DS games are the only way to get the Sewaddle line for the Home Dex.

Vindicated30.6

I don’t think Bank will be going offline for the next few years. Remember that a lot of Gen 5 stuff is still not available outside of that Gen’s games. Gen 5 and the 3DS games are the only way to get the Sewaddle line for the Home Dex.
The Sewaddle line is in Go

zolios

I don’t think Bank will be going offline for the next few years.
I hope so but I still wanted to do this playthrough now and get that extra Celebi asap just in case.

On another note, I just found my first ever full odds Gen 2 shiny!!! For the last hour or so I was training my Pokemon for the battle against Clair on the route below Blackthorn City (route 45 I think) and I ran into a shiny Skarmory! I caught it without any issues since I had Sleep Powder on my Vileplume. I haven't been this excited about a shiny in a very long time since they don't feel that special or even rare in the newest games. I'm so happy that I decided to replay Crystal instead of one of my other games.

Vindicated30.6

I've started playing Red for the first time on my 2DS XL. (My first Pokemon game was Yellow.) The sprites are so different! I did the two different Mew glitches so now I have two Mew. Going to try for the 8F glitch, I think it's called, so I can make them "legit" and move them forward. I watched a video on how to do that on YouTube and I think I can do it.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Getting back to work on Crystal version. Up to 4 badges so far, gotta work on training some more tho.

Woot. Will be trying to train up more at night. Stantler is a lifesaver. Getting some decent experience points against it. Over 300 per battle. So are Ariados and Noctowl. 200 to 300 or so exp a piece per battle. Pidgeotto are good to battle against too.

And... XD

Did some more training and my Golbat, Buffy, just evolved into Crobat. I'm so proud of her!

Last edited:

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?

This aged well.. :'(

Anyway, caught a Piloswine, Espeon and Hitmontop in Pokémon Go. I might do a run where that's my entire team. Quick and easy. Replace the early Phanpy with Swinub and that's all the cheating I'll do.. Starting with Chikorita for the difficulty.

Edit: Quickly proved pretty difficult. I'm currently training for the Goldenrod Gym.

Playing with just a Swinub proved impossible. This is because I'm playing with levelcap rules and there was simply no way around the VioletCity gym-trainers with just Tackle, while remaining under the levelcap for Falkner himself. Swinub learns PowderSnow at level 10, one level over Falkner's strongest Pidgeotto. Hence, using Chikorita became a must, if originally just for levelcap purposes, this and another battle proved that I needed some strats for it to work at all.

The gymtrainers both went down with a combination of Growl reducing their attack strength, Tackle's, berry-usage and purposeful faints to reduce XP gaining on Chikorita's part. I then trained both Chikorita and Swinub up to the brink of lvl10, so the level 7 Pidgey will result in a double level-up and Swinub learning PowderSnow. The strat went slightly the same, with PowderSnow being huge on Pidgeotto.

Bugsy was easy, though I reckon the Freeze on Scyther made it a bit easier then expected.

BlacChy, or Silver if you want, was hard. Gastly was a slight issue, paralyzing some attempts with Lick. In the succesful attempt Bayleef started up and set up a Reflect. I switched to Swinub and it quickly took care of things with MudSlap making Gastly's statusmoves miss and being a 2hko. Then Quilava came out. Which in unsuccesful runs quickly Ember'd my team down, but.. in the winning run, Swinub survived an Ember, landed a MudSlap and the accuracy drop came in clutch twice.. until it burned down Swinub regardless. Ember did not quite KO Bayleef and it ate its held Berry and KO'd with Tackle. Zubat then followed. Normally I'd use Swinub, but it was KO'd. Zubat confused Bayleef, so instead of risking confusion damage, I switched to... the just hatched Togepi. It lived a LeechLife, hit a Charm. And got hit with Supersonic. I switched back to Bayleef and started to Tackle it down, until Bayleef got confused again. Switched back to Togepi and it sadly got taken out. Bayleef came out and managed to get the KO eventually.

Got a helpful Paris in Ilex Forest to scratch, cut and flash everything insight.

Then came the hunt for the 2nd official member of the team (well 4th now that Bayleef is fully onboard - as well as Togepi to a lesser extent): Tyrogue. This is why I chose Crystal, so I'd had a shot through the Odd Egg at the Daycare. First attempt gave me a shiny Cleffa. No. Second attempt gave me nothing less then a SHINY Tyrogue. I was hyped as hell. It knows DizzyPunch which is a boon since Tyrogue learns nothing but Tackle otherwise until it evolves.

And there we are.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Had Entei show up recently and I just caught a Tauros and a Meowth. Switched out one of my team for my Psyduck, so I can train it up a bit more.

Then once I'm done, it's over to Cianwood.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I traded a female Mareep caught in Silver to my Crystal game since I picked Chikorita and needed a Pokemon to take care of Falkner’s team. Now I am on my way to Azalea Town.

Det. Viper

I dropped into my VC saves of Silver, Crystal, Red and Yellow. I’ve been going through to catch some Pokémon to get some newer and some older Pokémon with the Game Boy origin mark. I never realized how many Pokémon not from the first two generations can actually have that mark. Definitely a fun process for me.

So far I have:
Stantler for Wyrdeer
Cyndaquil for Hisuian Typhlosion
Mankey for Annihilape
Scyther for Kleavor
Exeggcute for Alolan Exeggutor
Teddiursa for Ursaluna
Electazbuzz for Electivire
Magmar for Magmortar
Sneasel for Weavile
Tangela for Tangrowth
Girafarig for Farigarif