• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

1st and 2nd generations, or 3rd and 4th generations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMew7

what up daddy in the house
1. 4th
2. 3rd
3. 1st
4. 2nd

i liked all of the generations. there werent many pokemon that i thought were really cool in the 2nd generation. this is just me, but i thought they were starting to run out of ideas for the 2nd generation. the 3rd generation was a lot better i thought. the legendary pokemon werent so great to me. but the deoxys idea was very clever. the 4th generation was by far the best.

-BJ-

at least they looked similar. there is no way anyone could guess that huntail evolved from clamperl based on appearences. evolution is about little changes to a specie over a long period, not drastic ones.

One word: Gyarados!

Aviano

I dropped my balls

Tomato Jr.

yeah well that was based on some japanese myth and wasn't really original was it. anyway that is only one, the rest all make some sort of sense.

Fire Suicune

Feebas, Trapinch, etc.

Anyway, I love both the second and third gens. Second because the game was just fun, and the region itself was the best one. Third because of the actual Pokemon, most of my favorites come out of the third gen. Of course, both the first and fouth gen are still good, just not as good as the second and third.

-F.S. out

-BJ-

yeah well that was based on some japanese myth and wasn't really original was it. anyway that is only one, the rest all make some sort of sense.

Also: Octillery, Bellossom, Politoed, and I guess to some extent, Forretress. (are Japanese myths not good enough either?)

Tomato Jr.

Also: Octillery, Bellossom, Politoed, and I guess to some extent, Forretress. (are Japanese myths not good enough either?)

my point was only really about the first gen, there are plenty in the other gens, but they are becoming more and more frequent. Also, politoed isn't one. it may be green but it still has the swirl on its stomach and tadpole to frog/toad makes sense.

(i have nothing against japanese myths, i was just saying that it was not an origianl idea of game freak)

-BJ-

Meh, I always thought Politoed just looked out of place.

Anyway, I guess we can say that Game Freak has just decided to get more creative with their designs. I mean, we've got a game based on fictional monsters, what's the harm in making it even more fictional? I think it's just fun and cool, personally.

Praetor

Psephophthalmus artu
id hafta say 2nd and 3rd gen, i mean 2nd gen did so much for the franchise and 3rd gen did so much for the players by making everything easier and battling a snap. and all in all in the third gen their were some wackd out looking pokes but for the most part it had good designs and interesting poke'mon. 1st gen's designs were pretty natural and the names were tame compared to 3rd and 4th gen but that also makes the 1st gen pokes kinda plain

4th gen has its share of good pokemon but IMO many of the designs look bad and the new evolutions were unnecessary as they overshadow older pokemon. IMO 4th gen also has a lot of "poke-sequels" where its just the same old and it gets boring when they just make mostly new evolutions to old pokes. the only thing 4th gen did for the series was make battling easier and kill whatever life contests may have had.

mewmew202

1st and 2nd. 1st because of the glitches and 2nd because of the intrduction of a phone, breeding, traveling to 2 regions, need I go on?

Rainy_Day

Swimmer
While I like the additions to the later generations, such as the physical/special split as was mentioned above, the first two generations were the foundations, and without that you wouldn't even have a Magnezone or whatever you want.

That said, some Pokémon in the first generations were total stinkers...

Johto as a region, I think, was perfect. If you slapped in running shoes, the physical/special division, and all the new bells and whistles I think it'd blow Hoenn and Sinnoh out of the water, not just in terms of Pokémon but in terms of pure storyline.

However, I haven't been fond of starters since the first gen, but Torterra and Infernape certainly grew on me, and the new ways of evolving add a nice twist on things. As Drake said, now it's beginning to take shape as a group of Pokémon on the whole as opposed to segregating them into generations.

I disagree, both Johto Kanto are rather barren regions compared to Hoenn or Sinnoh. I think they would need to add a few new towns and other structures/things to do between the usual gym towns to really make the regions as full as Hoenn or Sinnoh. And I don't really see how Johto's story (which doesn't involve any legendaries except in Crystal, and only involves a few encounters with TR which never really gets resolved completely) is so much better than either Hoenn's or Sinnoh's. Plus, Sinnoh has the most story in the series by far. All sorts of sidestories with the legends, and a much larger and involved cast (we actually see gym leaders doing things outside their gyms).

I'm speaking only to the generations overall. Like I said before, I can't really rank the generations of Pokemon (except for my bias towards the water types of Hoenn). I try to avoid letting nostalgia affect my judgement though.

at least they looked similar. there is no way anyone could guess that huntail evolved from clamperl based on appearences. evolution is about little changes to a specie over a long period, not drastic ones.
i like the 1st/2nd gen pokemon pokemon best. 3rd had some great ones but also some stinkers as well and on the balance of things 1st/2nd gen rules.

I also disagree with this statement. Gyarados doesn't look a thing like Magikarp, Golduck's only similarity with Psyduck is that they're both ducks. Venonat and Venomoth? Dragonair to Dragonite? I could pull out plenty of non-similar evolutions from each generation. I don't think there's any imbalance within any generation, except maybe for the ones that introduced a bunch of new evolutions for older Pokemon (and I already know your opinion on that :D).

Besides, who said a Pokemon has to look completely similar to what it evolved from? They didn't do it all the time in the first gen, and they haven't done it every time since then either.

To me, it seemed that 3rd and 4th gen's storyline was just defeating Team ______ in a series of events that leads up to them releasing some legendary pokemon... and when all he*l breaks loose, only the player character has to stop them/the legendary pokemon, thus saving the world.

2nd Gen was the best.

A few random encounters with Team Rocket is so much better? The encounters with Team Aqua/Magma/Galaxy were under similar circumstances (trying to discover how to control the weather, stealing other trainer's Pokemon, trying to get energy, going into their base) to the encounters with Team Rocket except these teams actually had a goal (other than "keep the team alive while we wait for our boss who disappeared several years ago").

It probably seems like I hate the 2nd gen, but I don't :D. I do think, however, that a lot of bashing for 3rd and 4th gens is based almost entirely on nostalgia (although there were plenty of elements in 4th gen that disappointed me, they're mostly minor things that irk me personally).

Hyuu

Under the sea
Joining the general consensus, 2nd generation was my favorite and nostalgia leaves me leaning towards the first two generations. I didn't quite like the past two generation, no matter their contribution to game play and such.

Vicious

I say that the second was the best and I agree that the newer pokemon are kinda bootsy. They really look like a different person designed them and I'm sick of all the colorful and cutesy crap like pachirisu and some other stuff. I don't have anything against pachirisu but it would be cooler if it wasn't a pokemon.

The generations after the second has phoney vibes to me

TrombonCosmico

Vamo' lo' pibe' loco
Well, for me, the third and fourth generation games are kinda boring or slow.
I mean, I beated the E4 in Ruby, Emerald and Diamond and then I tried to keep playing, but... well, I don't know, the whole game just seems slow.
I still play my old Cristal. For me, is just fun.

okey so, yeah, who cares

EmberStar the Blaziken

Kung-Pow Chicken
I liked Generation 3 because it was deeper than the other games.

jaxonferz

i cant really pick between the all four because i have never actually played 2nd gen and ive played 1st gen as leafgreen so i dont know exactly what it was. but i do like all the pokemon from all gens except a few(togekiss)

Status
Not open for further replies.