• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

1st gen Pokemon designs. Unoriginal. Unlikeable?

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
OK, I'm sure the majority of members here will agree that the 1st generation of Pokemon was probably the least inspired and most unoriginal in terms of designs, a point which I won't argue about. However, this poll asks whether you outright hate all those designs, or like them as much as you would all the later Pokemon.

Personally, I can highly respect and appreciate the simplicity of those designs given where they came from. Tajiri originally just wanted to make a game in which kids living in industrialized society could capture, show off, and trade animals like he did in his own childhood, with a few added quirks like the whole battle aspect (likely done because RPGs are such a familiar gaming format, especially in Japan, and you gotta admit, the game wouldn't have much replay value if collecting animals was all there was to it). With that said, I can see why several of the Pokemon are so simple, resembling basic animals in real life with a bell or whistle here and there. On a similar note, I rather like the original Red/Green version sprites... so distant from the official artwork due to such simple graphics. It makes it seem less like the worldwide phenomenon it became, and more like the small-town, 8-bit monochrome portable game from the mid-90s it started out as (though, it's kinda hard for westerners to think the same when Pokemon was released well into the N64 era, with the Game Boy Color just around the corner, but as some of you may already know, I've personally been familiar with Pocket Monsters ever since spotting it in a magazine around the time of its original release).

Quite a few of my favorite Pokemon are 1st gen, and still remain among my favorites to this day. Hitokage may just be an upright lizard with a flame on its tail, but that still doesn't stop it from being cute in my opinion, likewise for the beautiful Kyuukon, who in reality seems like such a basic caricature of the kyuubiko myth. Some nostalgia plays a part as well (Butterfree was my first evolution, and I thought its psychic attacks kicked ass ^^). I, of course, grew to love subsequent generations as well, and I do think those overly nostalgic fanboys who bash pretty much everything past 151 with stupid logic (Agehunt being a Butterfree rip-off, anyone?) are among some of the banes of Pokemon fandom. But I digress. What does everyone else think? You think the 1st generation designs were both unoriginal and failed at life? You think they were unoriginal but likeable? You like them but think it's mostly your nostalgia speaking? You think they are original and likeable, possibly your favorite generation? What?

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Unoriginal.

But that doesn't mean unlikeable. Some of my favorites are Kanto ones.

Drowzee, Exeggcutor, Lickitung, Tangela, Machop, Kingler, Cloyster, Muk, Arbok, Weezing, Victrebell, Venonat, Parasect, I LUV.

Don't take my sig too seriously, btw

Last edited:

"L"

You say that, and its true, but yet many people say 4th gen are the most uninspired and unoriginal.

Now these evo lines suck

Ponyta/Rapidash-Grows a horn

Cubone/Marowak-Fuses skull on head

Koffing/Weezing-extra heads growing

Diglett/Dugtrio-3 combine

Magnemite/Magneton-same as digly

Clefairy/Clefabe-oooh it gets bigger

growlith/arcanine-it gets bigger

poliwhirl/poliwrath-big woop. its head got flatter

Jiggly/Wiggly-Gets less round.

Charmander/Charmeleon-oooh it gets bigger and grows a horn

And the list goes on.......

And people said DP pokemon were the most unoriginal and uninspired.

Ridi

YOUR best friend
I love Kanto! While nostalgia might have SOMETHING to do with it, I honestly believe I'd love many of the Pokemon even if they were brand new. While I appreciate originality, I really don't mind uncreative Pokemon designs at all. Variety is good, I suppose.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
People seem to think ugly = unoriginal mostly.

Such as how Dainose, who is pretty damn original, is unoriginal since it's "ugly".

Well, gosh be darned if Pocket Monsters all had too be adorable sacks of fur!

I won't lie, most of my favorites are considered "ugly", like Glalie. But damn, it pulls off ugly like no one's business.

"L"

Dianose is unoriginal cause it looks like Mr. Potato head and is just a Nosepass with a hat and beard.

When compared with the outstandingly deviating creatures found in Hoenn and Sinnoh, Kanto truly falls short. However, that doesn't means that the first bunch of creatures is awful in any way. I for one like a lot of Kanto Pokémon. It at least reaches the average of 30 favorites I tend to have per Generation. Something 2nd Gen Pokémon didn't manage to do. =O

I have quite a few favorites in the first Generation as well. Stuff like Pidgeot, Sandslash, Clefable, Wigglytuff, Blastoise, Oddish line, Pinsir, Magmar, Electabuzz, Eevee and its evolutions (I like all new ones as well, though.), Victreebel, Tentacruel, Golem, Rhydon, the Hitmons, and many others. And in all honesty, there's quite a few jewels in Kanto too.

I've just come to a point I appreciate most Pokémon, irregardless of their originality (An overrated concept, by the way...). Much like I love all Pokémon games and all Regions. Overall, you know they're Pokémon. No matter how deviating their styles are from the roots. Which is why I'm baffled and sickened when fools bash the newer Generations hanging by nostalgia...

I like Kanto Pokémon because they're quite cool in their own way, as are all other Pokémon in their respective Generation. Nostalgia doesn't plays a part in me. If it did, I'd only like Blastoise, for I was the typical fool that only trained his Starter to beat the game with an overpowered Pokémon. I came to appreciate many Kanto Pokémon with subsequent games. After all, the old games were so corrupted I barely enjoyed them...

So yes. The designs are simplistic and painfully generic for the most part, but all in all, many Kanto Pokémon are cool and cute for me. Not as divergent as the latst Generations, but good for their time, and still stand out quite decently for me nowadays.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I like all Pokémon...with the exception of a few, they look like a bunch of thought and research was done to design them, and I appreciate effort above all other traits.

With that in mind, I'd say the 1st generation is the most unoriginal in that the creatures tended to be less stylized and more monochrome than later generations. For example, Ponyta and Rapidash look too much like real horses and are simple shades of yellow to red; Charizard fits the stereotypical image of a dragon to a "T"; and Ekans and Arbok are little more than cartoon snakes. (I'm not sure how much Krusty the Klown was the inspiration for Weepinbell, but those minor droids from Star Wars Episode I sure look like Bellsprout.) There was a degree of stylization...just not a lot.

I'm sure it was mostly out of graphical limitations of the Game Boy though; the GBC allowed Pokémon to get more colorful, and the higher resolution of the GBA allowed Pokémon to get more detailed. At the same time, Ken Sugimori's style has noticeably changed and his skill at monster design a great deal more adept.

It's normal, in my opinion. ANY series that's drawn will inevitably end up with more complex-looking characters than when it began. I'm surprised when it doesn't happen. (Kim Possible is one such exception.)

Meowth! That's right!

Cat Pokemon Trainer
How can people say the 1st gen was unoriginal? 1st gen was the original! Without the 1st gen there would be no 2nd, 3rd, 4th gen!

Every gen has had some Pokemon that look like regular animals, and some that look out-of-this-world. Instead of focusing on the boring ones we don't like, we should be focusing on the awesome ones we do like.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
^ Original in concept. Not original in designs.

That's not to say all RBY Pokemon were uninspired discolored animals. The eevee family put a unique spin on what was standard for the other evolution lines (and their designs were superior to most, also), Drowzee and Hypno weren't mere animal/object rip-offs, Exeggcute/Exeggutor are really out-there, and I'd take the cliched elemental legendaries over the retardedness of the Regis any day. But of course, you have pokemon like Pidgey, Tauros, Goldeen, etc where you can hardly tell the difference between it and the animal it's inspired by.

To add onto kairyu_trainer's list, I'd like to mention the following:
- Voltorb/Electrode
- Dratini/Dragonair
- Kadabra/Alakazam
- Doduo/Dodrio
- Krabby/Kingler
- Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot

Am I excluding future generations from this rule? By all means no. Just look at Tangela/Mojanbo. But the RBY Pokemon were far more consistant with this problem.

Some examples of simple-yet-effective evolution lines in the original 150 would be Tentacool/Tentacruel, Rhyhorn/Rhydon, Paras/Parasect, and Pikachu/Raichu. None of those evolutions are necessarily a far-cry from their original forms, yet the differences are striking enough that they can be easily identified as evolutions.

Heracross

Custom User Title
I don't really get all the argument over which generation is most unoriginal, ugliest, etc. Do we really need something more to get worked up about?

Eh, none the less, I do of course have opinions on the matter. I would like to plainly state that as far as the first generation goes I am biased in favor of nostalgia. I grew up with the originals, I'm used to them, and most of my favorite episodes feature them. It's very hard for me to find anything I dislike about them.

Last edited: