1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

1st Gen Replay Value

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by FullmetalJackie, Aug 12, 2018.

1. FullmetalJackie

FullmetalJackie Well-Known Member

As we all know, Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow were the first entries of the Pokemon franchise. They really are the games that started it all. However, it is now 2018. Many games have come since then, each with updated graphics and features.

Do you ever replay Red, Blue, or Yellow these days? Or do you find yourself unable to go back to the games?

2. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I play the VC Red and Yellow, although since I've caught every single Pokemon in the games, I've gotten bored with them. Gen I's post-game is just lacking in general.

3. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria 4th anniversary of ORAS, 16th anniversary of RS

I don’t think it has too much replay value due to the very short postgame. I would only play it for the music or if it’s the VC version, I would catch Pokémon from there and transfer them to Gen 7.

4. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie All I want for Christmas is you...

If my Yellow cartridge didn't die years ago, I'd have probably replayed it a lot more by now. I've been currently replaying Yellow on the VC even though it's actually my brother's, but he hasn't been playing it, so I basically took over lol. I do still enjoy it, but I've been pick-picking at it because grinding Pokémon is just awful in the first gen. I also made it a little hard on myself for not picking out a Flying-type since I just want to evolve the Dragonair to give Dragonite Fly, but Victory Road's the best place to grind Pokémon during the main game.

So despite its glitchiness and outdated graphics, I think it's a little fun to experience some nostalgia here and there. And also to try and work with some Pokémon you typically wouldn't have touched; for instance, I'm using a Victreebel on the Yellow team because I just didn't want to use Oddish or Bulbasaur. It's serviceable.

5. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

It's practically necessary, even though it's my least favorite spot to train at. I dislike level grinding in general, and whenever I need to train my team in R/G/B/Y I prefer doing so in the Unknown Dungeon during the post-game.

6. Aquarelle

Aquarelle Well-Known Member Staff Member

I'm still playing the Gen I games, mainly because of the VC versions. Having the games on my 3DS has made it much easier and convenient for me to play them. I probably wouldn't be playing them as much right now if I had to drag out my physical copies and GBA SP every time.

I definitely prefer playing later gens, though, because they have more to do (especially post-Elite Four) and I like a lot of the gameplay mechanics/changes that have been introduced over the years (e.g. breeding, physical-special split, reusable TMs).

That said, Gen I is still enjoyable for me. And while I usually like everything that goes into raising Pokemon on newer games (e.g. breeding for certain Natures, training for specific EV spreads), sometimes it's nice playing a game where I don't have to worry about things like Natures or breeding for egg moves.

7. ((JAWS))

((JAWS)) Johto Boy

Sometimes but rarely.

8. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

Nor would I, although that's mainly due to all of my Gen I cartridges having dead batteries, which makes the games lose their save data.

9. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

I've never played any of the Generation I games, but I don't find it enjoyable to even replay Crystal, so I doubt I'll ever like playing through Red or Yellow.

10. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

Really? I don't think I've ever met any players here who haven't played the Gen I games, then again I now realize that many young fans probably just don't care for the old games. I feel old now.

11. Denko Sekka

Denko Sekka Well-Known Member

I don't play Red or Blue since their sprites suck, but I got Yellow on the virtual console and it's good. I like the focus on anime events in it.