• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

1st post... RMT BT singles

domo

First post on these forums, been lurking a bit trying to figure out what works since honestly I haven't played this game with intent to beat other people since red and blue. I've been trying to build a team to just get a bunch of BP in Battle Tower Singles... here's the team I'm about to start using soon as these EVs are done on gengar (just switched out espeon for it)

Lead: ;130;

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP | 40 ATK | 212 DEF
Nature: Adamant
Dragon Dance, Rest, Sleep Talk, Waterfall

dance up and waterfall, rest when i need to. actually there isnt much to say; takes status and kills things with dd+waterfall. evs for survivability given to me below by chaotic tyrant.

2nd: ;445;

Garchomp @ Choice Band/Scarf
EVs: 6 HP | 252 ATK | 252 SPD
Nature: Jolly
Fire Fang, Earthquake, Outrage, Stone Edge

In a game of 3v3, having something that almost always kills two before going out is too good. I pretty much outrage anything that moves, fang/eq kill steels and stone edge hits bulky fliers like gyarados better than outrage.

3rd: ;094;

Gengar @ Life Orb
EVs: 6 HP | 252 SATK | 252 SPD
Nature: Timid
Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Substitute

Used to use an espeon because the one I got had HP fighting and I like grass knot, but this may work out better. Energy Ball might be redundant with tbolt here so I want to switch it to something else.

Thanks for checking out the team

Last edited:

Dragard

I wasn't even there.
Gengar @ Peteya Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Ev Spread: 6 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe
~ Shadow Ball
~ Focus Blast
~ Thunderbolt
~ Substitute

Been using it since 07. I really like it. Energy Ball and Focus Punch aren't very useful, at least for what I use Gengar for...

domo

Gengar @ Peteya Berry / Life Orb
Ev Spread: 6 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe
~ Shadow Ball
~ Focus Blast
~ Thunderbolt
~ Substitute

Been using it since 07. I really like it. Energy Ball and Focus Punch aren't very useful, at least for what I use Gengar for...

err you're right about the punch, focus blast was what I have on the gengar but I was thinking of the wrong name when listing the moves out. ill try that sub set (removing energy ball) with LO maybe since ive still got that tm lying around unused...

^ Well, Focus Punch is pretty debatable on Gengar. The bottom line is, it is only for killing Blissey and, too a lesser extent, Snorlax. These two are easily beaten by Garchomp, given Blissey isn't carrying Ice Beam.

Anyway, in my opinion, your Gyara set is a little outdated. Bulky Gyara is great and everything, but really if you wanted Gyara too last longer then you would be better off using RestTalkDD. Your Team lacks any sort of Wall, so take as much Bulkyness as you can get:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Adamant
252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 Def (I think those are the Standard EVs for this set)
~ Waterfall
~ Dragon Dance
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk

I used that set, and it won me my first 20 Battles on its own ._. Stupid Vaporeon broke its streak. But regardless, this set is useful in the BT.

As for Gengar... Replace Focus Punch with Focus Blast, and Energy Ball with HP Fire or Hypnosis, preferably the former if you can get it.

domo

only had 9 tomato berries, gotta harvest some to redo those evs for gyara... i guess i could just switch on water absorbers but it just sucks to self haze, maybe because im lazy in BT

thanks for all the help

EBONKA

This team looks great, I would suggest making Gyara more bulky since your team doesn't seem to have much D support, otherwise great.

Poke-friend

Wayward Traveler
This team needs little to no improvment. Why not try Tentacruel as a sponge in replacement for Gyarados?

Tentacruel @ Leftovers/Black Sludge
Calm Nature
Ability: Clear Body
100 HP/152 sp.atk/252 sp.def
-Surf
-Giga Drain
-Ice Beam/Confuse Ray
-Sludge Bomb/Mirror Coat

I tried it out on Shoddy. Works pretty well for me.

domo

hmmm was testing out the rest/talk gyara and its pretty cool but dry skin/water sorb pokes are really annoying.

do you think i could switch gyara with a bold cresselia? dont know what evs/moveset but i was thinking ice beam/psychic/calm mind/reflect, this would be a more complete wall than gyara. only problem i see is that makes 2/3 with dark weakness and gyaras attack is a more capable sweeper than cresselia

Poke-friend

Wayward Traveler
Cresselia seems fine.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
252 HP/252 def/4 sp.atk
-Psychic
-Moonlight
-Ice Beam
-Reflect/Thunder Wave

Or something like that. Also, to prevent your team form becoming 2/3 Dark-weak, try replacing Gengar with Porygon-Z:

Porygon-Z @ Wise Glasses/Life Orb
Modest/Timid Nature
Ability: Adaptablity
5 HP/252 sp.atk/252 spd
-Nasty Plot
-Tri-Attack
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam

But really, I think Gengar should be fine.

randomspot555

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 212 HP | 16 ATK | 180 DEF | 100 SPD
Nature: Adamant
Dragon Dance, Taunt, Waterfall, Earthquake

Bulky Gyarados seems like a good idea, but you'll be dissapointed with Taunt most of the time since there's no way to tell if the AI will set up or not.

If you really want a set up move there, Thunder Wave or Toxic are better options. But I'd just go with another attack. The best choices being Stone Edge (recommended) or Ice Fang.

Aerial Ace is also worth considering. It's not an amazing attack, but it gets STAB on Gyarados and can hit Double Team abusers.

Garchomp @ Choice Band/Scarf
EVs: 6 HP | 252 ATK | 252 SPD
Nature: Jolly
Fire Fang, Earthquake, Outrage, Stone Edge[/quote]

You'll probably be fine with Band until you get past #50 or so.

The move set is fine. Sleep Talk can come in handy in the 4th slot, for a one time use, and so you aren't completely vulnerable to status.

Gengar @ Focus Sash (or something else? Life Orb?)
EVs: 6 HP | 252 SATK | 252 SPD
Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Energy Ball

If you want a Focus Sash set, the ever popular Counter-Destiny Bond is the best.

If you want a pure sweeper, what you have is okay, with Life Orb, Specs, or Scarf. Trick could replace Focus Blast if you want to ditch the Choice item and screw up the AI.