• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

2009 Fanfiction Awards?

hailflameblast

I'm coming...
I'm game for it, as I have a fic ready for both AU and for normal types of awards. Yeah, right, when I'm just a beginner.

Redemption of the Holders and The Adventures of Team Aurabeast are the only things you should vote for. Yes I'm shamelessly imitating Bay and PokemonHero.

Super_Nerd

Writer of Stuff
I am n00bish, but I definately like this idea. As well as the additional categories mentioned.

Especially 'expansion of universe', completely selfishly, because re-writes of what we're handed in the games is what I do, and my favorite to read.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Maybe "best expansion of canon"--ie, fics based off scenes that we know happened. Especially useful for game-based fics, since the storytelling in the games is fairly bare-bones.

Hmm. "Best fic under 1000 words"?
I actually don't like the "Best Fic under 1000 words" idea. Not too many fics are under that word count and also a word count kinda restricts the creativity a story can have in my opinion.

And everyone, stop imitating me! :< lol

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Think of it like the "short film" Oscars.

I'm not talking about making people write fics that're that short. I mean fics that're already up and already under that length.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Still seems a bit restrictive, and what if somone's fic is just over that limit? Just strikes m as a bit of an odd choice, is all - IMO a one-shot (which can be considered an equivalent to a 'short-film' - after all thy don't have any chapters/parts, etc ) would work better. *shrugs*

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
I think that the problem with the "under 1000 words" category is not so much any inherent restrictiveness in the nature of the genre as it is the fact that people really don't post those here; I don't see how you'd get a significant number of nominations for the category. SPPf is just not very drabble-friendly, what with the minimum word limit, and I can't recall the last time I even saw one. Just people's "wtf" reactions to the category shows that a lot of people aren't even familiar with that kind of writing. (Very short 'fics are actually quite common outside of forum-based fanfiction communities, for those of you who've never really encountered them.)

I feel the one-shot categories are fine for this community; no need to create a sub-category.

Dragonfree

Just me
Yeah, I have to agree with Negrek on the under 1000 words thing; at least in my experience, I'd imagine the set of all 1000-word fics posted in the last year is probably a bunch of badfic that got closed and then maybe two or three legitimate ones (which are probably all by Blackjack). :/

Unless somebody can demonstrate a substantial selection of potential nominees, I remain skeptical.

Aura Master

Smell of Success
Is it possible to write a 1000 word fiction or are we talking about one shots..

1000 words is atleast 4 word pages which isn't alot...

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
It is definitely possible to write some quality fic under a thousand words, never has that been doubted. However, Serebii is just not the place to look for them. I don't see why people are complaining that it's too restrictive, because if I recall correctly all stories have to have been written before the thread for the awards was posted - and if some rule is restrictive to the stories it has to exist and be legitimate.

Aura Master

Smell of Success
fics have chapters...How do you write a fic under 1000 words?

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
Do you know what a one-shot is? It's a story with one chapter. There are plenty of them around here. However, 1000 words isn't the average length for a one-shot.

Aura Master

Smell of Success
Yes I know what a one-shot is...I've been read fan fics here for two years.

I don't consider a one shot a "fic" I consider it a "One-shot"

Though I don't think we need one shot awards just yet.. Maybe a One Shot contest but...

Maybe a award for best written oneshot would be enough. I think our last awards was in May or June...which didn't have one...though I might be wrong

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Hmm, yeah, I can't say I recall many fics being under 1000 words either now that you mention it, Negerk. (But other places I've seen a few...)
Yes I know what a one-shot is...I've been read fan fics here for two years.

Though I don't think we need one shot awards just yet.. Maybe a One Shot contest but...

Maybe a award for best written oneshot would be enough. I think our last awards was in May or June...which didn't have one...though I might be wrong
A one-shot is a fic, IMO - a fanfiction doesn't mean it has to have chapters or be long or anything - just has to be a story based on a fandom, and one-shots fit into that. I'd call fics that arn't one-shots chaptered fics, or a fic in parts...

Anyways, the last awards were finished early February, and they had a 'Best Pokémon One-Shot' category then. (Thread is still stickied in the main section so it's easy to see). Unlike drabbles or other under-1000 word stories sppf does have an awful lot of one-shots about so IMO that should definitely be here again.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant

To clarify what bobandbill said, "fic" is short for "fanfic," so the rest of the explanation follows. (As in, "fanfic" is a term that means "written piece set in the universe of X," so it therefore doesn't actually have to be X number of chapters.)

Also, I'd like to support the idea of a fanfic challenge where authors write stuff specifically for the contest, but for this yearly award shindig, I thought the format Dragonfree posted earlier already had something that covered not-so-epic-in-length works. In that case, I wholeheartedly support bringing back the one-shot category (because I've read a number of one-shots that are incredibly cool and deserve some kind of mention) instead of adding a 1000-word fic one because, yeah, after lurking this place like a ninja, I haven't spotted too many fics that would fall under this category either.

/ramble

Zadros

Incorrigible slacker
Just in case I've missed it, when will it be posted? And it'll only count fics updated before the thread is posted, or any fic updated in 2009?

Dragonfree

Just me
What? There is a one-shot category, there was one in the last awards, and there was never any question of leaving it out. @_@ Why on earth would we randomly exclude one-shots?

There are one-shot contests regularly; they're just not connected to the awards, sensibly enough, since they have nothing in common besides being competitions between works.

And yes, "fic" refers to any piece of fanfiction, including one-shots.

Aura Master

Smell of Success
Yes, I feel like a dumbass for being told that five times thank you.

Anyway, I have a feeling who's going to win "Best Chaptered Fiction"

Ok...Not really but I hope he/she wins :S.

So, your hosting the poll, Dragon?

Dragonfree

Just me
Seems like it, yeah. Anybody have issues with the system last year that could be fixed?

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
The only issue I had last year was sending my nominations in, but that's a forum-wide issue. If that's still causing trouble, perhaps a warning in the submissions post about it.