• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

2012 "End of the World" Thread - 24 hours remain

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2012 phenomenon comprises a range of eschatological beliefs according to which cataclysmic or transformative events will occur on 21 December 2012.[1][2][3][4][5][6] This date is regarded as the end-date of a 5125-year-long cycle in the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar.[7] Various astronomical alignments and numerological formulae have been proposed as pertaining to this date, though none have been accepted by mainstream scholarship.
A New Age interpretation of this transition is that the date marks the start of time in which Earth and its inhabitants may undergo a positive physical or spiritual transformation, and that 21 December 2012 may mark the beginning of a new era.[8] Others suggest that the date marks the end of the world or a similar catastrophe. Scenarios suggested for the end of the world include the arrival of the next solar maximum, an interaction between Earth and the black hole at the center of the galaxy,[9] or Earth's collision with a planet called "Nibiru".
Scholars from various disciplines have dismissed the idea of such cataclysmic events occurring in 2012. Professional Mayanist scholars state that predictions of impending doom are not found in any of the extant classic Maya accounts, and that the idea that the Long Count calendar "ends" in 2012 misrepresents Maya history and culture,[3][10][11] while astronomers have rejected the various proposed doomsday scenarios as pseudoscience,[12][13] stating that they conflict with simple astronomical observations.[14]

Share your thoughts. Will the world end tomorrow, or will we be alive to point and laugh at the Mayans?

Personally, I think it won't happen, but I'm still going to watch the news to see if they'll say anything about it.

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
Remember when they said the world would end in 1999?

Remember when they said the world would end in 2000?

Remember when they said the world would end in 2011?

Yeah... if the world's going to end from anything tomorrow, it'd be from idiots committing mass suicide out of something that's NOT happening.

Ludwig

I'd like to bet on the world not ending tomorrow. If I win, pay me money. If I lose, no money can be paid. Any offers?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Oh God, someone went there with the thread naming. *fist-bump*

Nothing's going to happen. We'll live another day like we have the last time the world was predicted to end. Because of that, on midnight of December 22nd, my brothers and I are going to run around the neighborhood (or at least the cul de sac) and make a ruckus of glee, or however we're going to do it.

Though I predict there will be a small baby boom next year. And the superstitious people are going to have a blast next year. 2013, man. It'll be like Friday the 13th all day, every day.

Chingchar

If the world ends tomorrow then I'm opening my Christmas presents early :D
Either that or I'm gonna be playing the song of time ;)

Last edited:

Dreamy

I remember a program a few months ago, I think it was NOVA or something like that where they found an even older calendar that goes on for millions if not billions of years past tomorrow's date.

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
To me, this just gives people a great reason to party, even though we all know it's not going to happen.

And that's just about all it's good for.

Spudnugget1

who wants to sing
I personally don't believe the world will end, but then again, the Universe is vast and unpredictable - most media depictions and modern preconceptions of Space are wildly inaccurate due to either adaptation distillation or lack of interest, so there's a lot we don't know about space, just to provide a setup. As one quote put it, "You know. Because Space is grape flavored."

Most 2012 predictions involving space foretell a planetary collision or a sudden solar flare, but the structure of the solar system and Earth's magnetic field protect us from both of those scenarios. We'd be more likely to be blasted out of existence by a 400 light-year wide burst of gamma radiation, which have been recorded as unpredictable and highly destructive.

I personally believe that we are the subject of an extraterrestrial raffle, and the winner gets to ascend to Physical Godhood for the greater good.

Last edited:

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
Yawn. Nasa has even come out and debunked this scientifically. I'll take the word of the geniuses at NASA over ancient, superstitious, bloodthirsty Indians.

Everyone who believes that 21 december stuff is naive, stupid and has nothing better to do.

And we won't point and laugh at the Mayans either, they never predicted the world would end. That was made up by American pop culture. According to them the "age of the 5th sun" would start and there would be a change.
But why would we believe the religious things of a dead civilization anyways?

Draknir

Fear the Deer
There is almost no evidence that the world will end tomorrow. Say we make a calendar for 2000 years into the future. 1990 years from now, they'll be freaking out because our calendar ended 10 years from then. Also, the Mayan calendar goes in cycles. When you reach the end of one, you go back to the beginning.

Of course, if the world does in fact end, who cares? We'll all be dead.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
I feel sorry for those who may commit suicide over this, they have two much better options. Either die while watching everyone else die in a much more fabulous manner, or live! Either way, the world won't end tomorrow.

Silver Bolt

Undying flames
People still believe in this garbage? Well, the world has already ended on year 1 and on who knows how many other doomsday dates, right? Of course it hasn't. Nobody can predict something like this. I feel sorry for whoever believes in this stupidity. Especially for those committing suicides and barricading themselves and so on.

Mayan 'doomsday' may not be real but overpopulation and climate change are. We've got some time, so who cares right?

This is what I find to be the most amusing part, they recorded cycles of time (just like Hindus), not dates of doom. There are many Mayan descendants and many educated Mayan descendants who think that all of this is just another way for the white man to make munny.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
Lol I've been all cool with it, and rationally knowing it's most likely bullcrap, but I've honestly been shitting myself a bit at all the power outages that have been happining today where I live XD
Guess I can't help it but to be a LITTLE bit nervous, at least uncounsciously :p

I feel sorry for those who may commit suicide over this, they have two much better options. Either die while watching everyone else die in a much more fabulous manner, or live! Either way, the world won't end tomorrow.

lol the other day I've been thinking exactly the same thing. That if it's really going to happen, I wouldn't be able to decide if I was unlucky for having my life cut off at the mere age of 20, or lucky for being able to witness it :D

Last edited:

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Though I predict there will be a small baby boom next year. And the superstitious people are going to have a blast next year. 2013, man. It'll be like Friday the 13th all day, every day.

Tell me about it. My Literature teacher told me that according to David Suzuki and other sources, that will be the year when the planet flips upside down, and solar flares will obliterate modern society and probably kill a lot of humans. She actually told me she doesn't have plans for after this year due to being certain the world's done for by then. Either that, or my sarcasm detector was really off shutter that day. In any case, I'll be feeling pretty paranoid for that year.

As for this one, didn't the whole leap year thing debunk this year's apocalypse? I'm kind of glad 2012 did land on a leap year, because from what I'm told, that actually reminded people that the Mayans didn't recognize leap years, so the predicted apocalypse should have already come according to the calendar.

I, for one, don't need to hear about any more raptures/apocalypses/what have you. This "I might die tomorrow" mindset is really messing with my future planning abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.