• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

2012 Fanfiction Awards: NOMINATIONS

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
Last minute nominations! Because I've actually been reading quite a few different excellent fics this past year, which means that for once I actually have stuff I can nominate. Most of the nominations I would have made have already been done by other people, though, so these are just me filling in the gaps of other things I think deserve to be in there.

Best Setting
Sinnoh, in Brothers' Bond by Sid87. The way the fic is written makes it feel like a real place that, Pokémon aside, could easily exist in the real world. I don't usually pay much attention to worldbuilding or lack thereof when I read stuff, but it's so well-done here that even I noticed how good it is.

Best Character Development
First off, how does this award work, exactly? I've seen nominations both for an entire fic, implying it's about how almost every character in the fic is well-developed, and then I've seen nominations for just a single character, which would mean the award is about just how well that one character is developed (which is something I'd think would be covered by the Best Character awards anyway). So, assuming the former is how the award is meant to work:

The Legend's End by Scaldaver. Another fic which does an excellent job of writing the Pokémon as fully participating, real characters, to say nothing of how well-rounded the human characters are. I particularly enjoyed the main character's struggle to come to terms with the terrifying but necessary mission he's been forced into pursuing.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Overthrown by Knightfall. Practically everyone in it has issues and/or is borderline insane, even the ones who only appear for a few scenes. It's one of the main reasons I found the fic so compelling to read.

Best Human Main Character
Bill, from Anima Ex Machina by JX Valentine. (Assuming he counts as human. His mind is still human even if his body isn't, and that's what I consider important - but if Jax thinks he should go down under Non-Human then I'm happy to change this.) So I finally started reading AEM this year, after many past years of seeing it nominated all over in the awards and getting the impression that I'd really enjoy it if only I got around to reading it. Well, I was right that I'd enjoy it - the main reason? Bill. He is adorable, constantly goes through hell, and only comes out all the more adorable for it. What's not to like?

Best Human Supporting Character
Shelton, from Requiem by Sidewinder. I've seen Dorian nominated for Best Main, and Dorian and Shelton's relationship nominated for Best Non-Romantic, so why not give Shelton herself a shot at Best Supporting Character? She may be part of a heartwarming sibling-like relationship with the main character, but she's also entirely her own person with her own motivations and opinions on things, making her work excellently as both a companion and a foil to Dorian.

Best Non-Human Supporting Character
Alakazam, from Requiem by Sidewinder. Oh, Alakazam. The conflict between his loyalty and love for his trainer and the knowledge that what said trainer is doing is horribly misguided and wrong makes Alakazam probably the most compelling Pokémon character in a fic full of really well-defined Pokémon characters.

Best Minor Character
Wire, from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Overthrown by Knightfall. This Metagross appears for all of one chapter, but in that short time I was really able to sympathise with him and the horrible situation he was trapped in. In fact, said chapter happened to be the first one I read and was plenty to convince me I should go back and read the whole fic from the beginning.

Also, something I'd like to bring up: as much as I'm overjoyed to see that Jax has read at least some of Foregone Conclusion... that fic's not actually eligible for this year's awards, as it was finished in 2011. (Besides, you know the Ixodida deserves to win Best Original Species yet again. Jax's incredibly well-thought-out alien parasite is even cooler than my prehistoric Grovyle evolution.)

Dragonfree

Just me
Let me take a shot at this. I wish I'd read more good fics recently, but this will have to do. And most of these have already been nominated so this is about 80% redundant, but whatever.

Overall Fiction Awards
Best Pokemon Chaptered Fic - [thread=587729]Salvage[/thread] by Negrek
Best Pokemon One-Shot - [thread=587431]The Leaf Green Incident[/thread] by JX Valentine

Other Fic Awards
Best Plot - [thread=587729]Salvage[/thread] by Negrek
Most Original Overall - [thread=587729]Salvage[/thread] by Negrek
Best Writing Style - [thread=587431]The Leaf Green Incident[/thread] by JX Valentine
Best Character Development - [thread=556872]The Legend's End[/thread] by Scaldaver
Best Description - [thread=587729]Salvage[/thread] by Negrek
Best Expansion of Canon - [thread=574736]The Motionless Journey of Youngster Ian[/thread] by Psychic
Best Characterization in a Short Story - [thread=587431]The Leaf Green Incident[/thread] by JX Valentine
Best Non-Romantic Relationship/Interaction - Jade and Chibi, [thread=543597]The Legendarian Chronicles[/thread] by Chibi Pika; Edward and Nuria, [thread=556872]The Legend's End[/thread] by Scaldaver

Character Awards
Best Human Main Character - the Rocket agent, [thread=587431]The Leaf Green Incident[/thread] by JX Valentine
Best Non-Human Main Character - the "child", [thread=587729]Salvage[/thread] by Negrek
Best Human Supporting Character - Nuria, [thread=556872]The Legend's End[/thread] by Scaldaver; Sai, [thread=561603]Survival Project[/thread] by diamondpearl876
Funniest Character - Zubat, [thread=556872]The Legend's End[/thread] by Scaldaver

Fic Moments Awards
Best Action Scene - the bulk of chapter 7, [thread=543597]The Legendarian Chronicles[/thread] by Chibi Pika

Author Awards
Best Established Writer - Negrek
Best New Writer - Scaldaver
Most Improved Writer - Scaldaver; Chibi Pika

Reviewer Awards
Most Helpful Reviewer - JX Valentine

Last edited:

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
Just an update: because some nominations are still not complete, I am putting in place the extension to February 26. Please try to finish everything up, everyone.

Booooooooooo. I was all excited to start voting yesterday! :p

Anyway, my post is complete, just to make that official. I know I'm missing a small handful of categories, but the things I WOULD nominate there have already been snatched up by others. :)

Last edited:

RealRaymon

Good series at last!
Booooooooooo. I was all excited to start voting yesterday! :p

Anyway, my post is complete. I know I'm missing a small handful of categories, but the things I WOULD nominate there have already been snatched up by others.
I also think that my post is complete. I was excited to start voting already. :(

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Also, something I'd like to bring up: as much as I'm overjoyed to see that Jax has read at least some of Foregone Conclusion... that fic's not actually eligible for this year's awards, as it was finished in 2011. (Besides, you know the Ixodida deserves to win Best Original Species yet again. Jax's incredibly well-thought-out alien parasite is even cooler than my prehistoric Grovyle evolution.)

derp

Welp, not sure how that happened, and unfortunately, I didn't take down alternate nominations for that category. :( Looks like that field will just have to be blank for me.

Thanks for letting me know!

Best Pokemon Chaptered Fic: Brothers' Bond (PG-13)

Best Non-Pokemon Chaptered Fic: Feli chronicles: Vitandes

Best Plot: Roots

Most Original Overall: Carry on Blissey

Best Writing Style: Roots

Best Description: Jay's Journey through the Henzo Region

Best Setting: Roots

Best Character Development: Brothers' Bond (PG-13)

Most Suspenseful Fic: Brothers' Bond (PG-13)

Best Trainer Fic: Jay's Journey through the Henzo Region

Best Human Supporting Character: Murdock - Jay's Journey through the Henzo Region

Best Human Villain: Alexis - Jay's Journey through the Henzo Region

Best Cliffhanger: Jays Journey Through The Henzo Region

Sand quickly made its was around Larvitar, swirling beautifully, he then shot his arms forward and his eyes glowed red. The sand then multiplied as it covered the whole pitch and blew away Magbys smog.

"Well done Larvitar! You've made me proud!" Amelia elegantly winked at Larvitar.

"Mag mag maaaaag!" Magbys stuttered as little rocks slashed his fragile body from the sandstorm.

"Very nice Amelia, I wasn't expecting that!" Jay said in a proud manner. "Magby! Stay focused and use smokescreen!"

Magby glared at Larvitar from across the field and spited a smokescreen that intertwined with the gust from the sandstorm, mixing the elements together as they blew across the field. Larvitar was confused, a small dose of smoke had drifted its way into Larvitars eyes.

"Now Magby! Flare your ember! Quickly!"

Magby shot out his flames once more, however it travelled along the wind just like his smokescreen before, now little bits of fire were in the atmosphere traveling along the field. Larvitar had perfect vision once again.

"Larvitar! Finish this with rockslide!" Commanded Amelia.

Larvitar trusted his arms towards the sky, producing a hard unstable boulder triple it's size.

"Oh no. If this hits then that will be it." Jay mumbled under his breath, something then caught his eye on the field. Eevee was paying close attention to Jay, smirking to herself gleefully as this was surely the end for Magby.

"Quickly Larvitar, aim, fire!"

Larvitar hurled it's heavy boulder across the field, it rolled in the air destroying the wind as it flew, aiming straight for Magby.

Best New Writer: LadyLady

Most Dedicated Writer: RealRaymon

Most Improved Writer: RealRaymon

Most Helpful Reviewer: JX Valentine

Most Dedicated Reviewer: Shadow Lucario

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Just me
I also think that my post is complete. I was excited to start voting already, but this useless extension...really, why should we fill every category?
While you may have been satisfied with your nominations, other people had actually expressed an intention to finish their ballots later. You don't have to nominate for every category, so long as you nominate four different fics/authors, but many people want to nominate in as many categories as they can and had not yet filled out their ballots to their satisfaction.

Moreover, the attitude of this post is not acceptable. If you're disappointed you can't start voting yet, that's fine, but taking on a hostile tone and calling the extension useless is just flamebaity. The people organizing these awards are making an effort to take all members' concerns into consideration; just because the extension doesn't benefit you and you wanted to get to the voting doesn't mean it's "useless".

RealRaymon

Good series at last!
The Great Butler, I am sorry.
I appreciate the work you do and respect you as a member. :)

You don't have to nominate for every category, so long as you nominate four different fics/authors
Yeah, I know that. But thanks for reminding.

Last edited:

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Well then, my votes are now completed and official. If you think reading these could be easy when you have college life to deal with, its the other way around.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
So, how is it going? IS it ready?

If it helps Butler any, allow me to say you'll know when it's ready.

See, every year, Butler and Dragonfree partner up to create a rather convenient voting both on an off-Serebii webpage (read: on Dragonfree's domain). It's basically a form to fill out, complete with radio buttons and the works. Kinda swanky, even. Unfortunately, this takes time to create (not to mention at least one of those parties is usually incredibly busy), so there's usually a wait period after nominations are closed. When the booth is up, they'll usually make a post with a link in it for you to follow.

So just keep watching the thread for a post from either Butler or Dragonfree with a link to a site that says it's the voting page. Probably best not to ask about it before then, just because it's not really as simple as giving you a form to fill out on the forums. *le shrug*

Psychic

Really and truly
So, how is it going? IS it ready?
To be blunt, did you pay any attention to what Dragonfree told you last time? The organizers are taking time from their lives to put in their time and effort to ensure every step of the awards go smoothly, and bugging them about their progress is the same as readers bugging a writer about the next update. It sounds rude, ungrateful, and it gives the impression you learned nothing from last time. If you have nothing useful to contribute to the thread, please stop posting.

~Psychic