• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

2012 Fanfiction Awards - planning thread

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
I would ASSUME not, but I'd think that would be more of an unwritten rule than an actual one.

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Just me
No, you can't nominate (or vote for) yourself. It puzzles me how this question comes up every time there are awards, as if the nomination process could possibly have any meaning whatsoever if people could go around nominating their own work. The distinction between who gets lots of nominations and who doesn't would just turn into who has the gall to openly nominate themselves for an award and who doesn't.

And yes, rules like this are generally stated in the actual award threads. It's not here because this is a planning thread.

Brutaka

Ignition
No, you can't nominate (or vote for) yourself. It puzzles me how this question comes up every time there are awards, as if the nomination process could possibly have any meaning whatsoever if people could go around nominating their own work. The distinction between who gets lots of nominations and who doesn't would just turn into who has the gall to openly nominate themselves for an award and who doesn't.

I had to ask since I've seen many award things like this where you could vote for yourself.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
If we want to write down who we thought got second place in a nomination, does that count for one of the five times that we are allowed to nominate an author for?

It has in past years.

Also, would it by any chance help at all to have a look at the way things worked last year? I ask just because some of the most recent set of questions can actually be answered by looking at what we used to do. (I don't mean to be blunt about it. Just saying Dragonfree's right that we get the "can you nominate yourself" question every year.) If so:

Planning thread to see what was suggested last year (and for an explanation of the rules if need be).
Nominations thread for a better understanding of how nominations work.
Voting thread if you happen to need an example of how voting works.

That said, I do believe that the discussion about the author/story limit left off at five per author. Which doesn't seem like a lot, but keep in mind we were running on a six per author limit last year, so... yeah. It's really not that bad.

Brutaka

Ignition
It has in past years.

Also, would it by any chance help at all to have a look at the way things worked last year? I ask just because some of the most recent set of questions can actually be answered by looking at what we used to do. (I don't mean to be blunt about it. Just saying Dragonfree's right that we get the "can you nominate yourself" question every year.) If so:

Planning thread to see what was suggested last year (and for an explanation of the rules if need be).
Nominations thread for a better understanding of how nominations work.
Voting thread if you happen to need an example of how voting works.

That said, I do believe that the discussion about the author/story limit left off at five per author. Which doesn't seem like a lot, but keep in mind we were running on a six per author limit last year, so... yeah. It's really not that bad.

I've seen the nomination thread. Which is where the second place things comes in. I didnt know if was just like a worthy mention or something.

Now, What about best reviewer? If that reviewer is an author, that takes a nomination, doesnt it?

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I've seen the nomination thread. Which is where the second place things comes in. I didnt know if was just like a worthy mention or something.

If you were looking at my post and the posts following it, those aren't second places. Those are second nominations. You could nominate up to three stories/people/characters/what-have-you for each category, and each post that lists multiple such in categories the way I did weren't listing them in any particular order. Each of those nominees were seen as equally worthy of being contenders to those categories, and as such, they were in fact included on the ballot, even if they were nominated only by one person who listed them in the same category as two or three other [insert what-have-you here]. Make sense?

Tl;dr, those aren't second place nominations. Those are literally just nominations that are being thrown in alongside a couple other fics. In the end, they're not being seen by the person posting as better or worse than other contenders in a category; they're being seen as equals, hence why they're not being excluded from the person's nominations sheet.

Now, What about best reviewer? If that reviewer is an author, that takes a nomination, doesnt it?

Yes. Most writers on this forum also do reviews, so it's still pretty fair to count the reviewer categories as potential author nominations. Meanwhile, not all reviewers post their fics, but that's okay too because they'd only qualify for the two reviewer categories anyway. *le shrug*

Brutaka

Ignition
If you were looking at my post and the posts following it, those aren't second places. Those are second nominations. You could nominate up to three stories/people/characters/what-have-you for each category, and each post that lists multiple such in categories the way I did weren't listing them in any particular order. Each of those nominees were seen as equally worthy of being contenders to those categories, and as such, they were in fact included on the ballot, even if they were nominated only by one person who listed them in the same category as two or three other [insert what-have-you here]. Make sense?
Yeah, i thought about that after i posted it. The numbers confused me.

Yes. Most reviewers on this forum are also writers, so it's still pretty fair to count the reviewer categories as an author nomination.
Gosh dang it.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
Though I don't know how are the stories picked up to be rated, I don't know as to how my stories are going to fare to the others because something tells me that stories with little amount of views are NOT going to be picked up for examination to be nominated.

Was that the case of previous contests? Or will stories with little reviews be examined as well.

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Just me
There aren't special nomination examinations; any member can nominate whatever they like and it will be on the ballot. If you have readers who like your work enough to want to nominate it, they can do so and you will be in the running, even if they're among few who have read it.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Though I don't know how are the stories picked up to be rated, I don't know as to how my stories are going to fare to the others because something tells me that stories with little amount of views are NOT going to be picked up for examination to be nominated.

You'll be surprised. Even if your fic doesn't have that many views, what matters is who's viewing it. You could have a closet reader or a reader who swings by gathering nominations who doesn't post, but it just takes that one reader to get you onto the ballot. Of course, this just means you need to work extra hard at impressing potential readers. Focusing on your story, polishing up as best as you can, using a beta, and so forth.

(And also, this doesn't mean you'll win a category, unfortunately, but it does mean that everyone has better chances than you'd think.)

Why, no, I'm not hinting at anything involving the way I choose what goes on my nominations sheet.

Last edited:

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Discussion has been going pretty well without my interference, but I just wanted to jump in on this:

I personally prefer six over five, now that I think about it.

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
Question: Can we nominate people who have not finished stories? If so, then...

Overall Fiction Awards
Best Pokémon Chaptered Fic - CHA-05: You Are Replaceable
Best Pokémon One-Shot
Best Non-Pokémon Chaptered Fic
Best Non-Pokémon One-Shot - Who Do You Think You Are? I don't recall Pokemon in this, but if there were any then move it to that category please.

Other Fic Awards
Best Plot - CHA-05: You Are Replaceable
Most Original Overall
Best Writing Style - A Journey To Remember
Best Description
Best Setting
Best Expansion of Canon
Best Character Development
Best Characterization in a Short Story
Best Romantic Relationship
Best Non-Romantic Relationship/Interaction
Best Original Species
Most Suspenseful Fic
Most Heartbreaking Fic

Pokémon Genre Awards
Best Trainer Fic
Best Horror Fic
Best Comedy Fic
Best Fantasy/Sci-Fi Fic
Best Pokémon-Centric
Best Canon Character-Centric

Character Awards
Best Human Main Character
Best Non-Human Main Character
Best Human Supporting Character
Best Non-Human Supporting Character
Best Human Villain
Best Non-Human Villain
Best Minor Character
Funniest Character

Fic Moments Awards
Funniest Scene -
The S.S. Slowbro (which, by the way, I found to be a pretty fitting name for this ship) wasn’t exactly first-class travel. Well, at least, the way I was traveling wasn’t.
What a sip to be a stowaway on... Ah, yes.
Most Frightening Scene
Most Heartbreaking Scene
Most Heartwarming Scene
Best Action Scene
Best Cliffhanger
Most Memorable Quote -
My name is Skull.
What an opening. Haha.

Author Awards
Best Established Writer
Best New Writer - Can I vote myself? Haha, Chapter of Charizard
Most Dedicated Writer