1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

2012 International Challenge

Discussion in 'Nintendo Formats' started by jstinftw!, Feb 10, 2012.

?

Are you going to participate?

1. Yes! I definitely will!

42.7%
  2. I'm probably going to.

16.1%
  3. Ehh, maybe.

16.9%
  4. No, I don't really feel like doing something like this.

8.1%
  5. I want to, but I can't. T^T

16.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jstinftw!

jstinftw! hontoni

I don't know if I'm allowed to make this instead of a mod, but I just refreshed my twitter feed and I saw the news. And I'm excited about it.

[​IMG]

And then on the main site

A tournament that we can all take place in from the convenience of our own homes. I guess rules would probably be something important, so I'll include those. For those familiar, they are exactly the same as the rules for the 2012 VGC Tournament.

Source.

---------------------------------------

I'm probably screwing myself over by saying this, but I figure most people will not be very familiar with the Double Battle Format. If you noticed, there are no tiers. This isn't a Smogon-run tournament, which means there will be a huge difference between what most Competitive Players are used to, along with the fact that there is a big difference between Singles and Doubles.

If you plan on entering, might I suggest taking a look into VGC-style battling. It's the best practice for Double Battles in this format, since a lot of the main threats will probably carry over. :) If you have any particular questions, you should definitely ask.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. thatjeremykid

thatjeremykid .Memento.Mori.

I probably wont be playing cuz my wifi is not reliable.
    it says only pokemon banned from random matchup aren't allowed. which means everyone will be using drizzleswim, and it's so annoying.

3. Osha Say What?

Osha Say What? Well-Known Member

I might do this. I'm not really sure though.

4. jstinftw!

jstinftw! hontoni

Hahaha, except everyone also knows how to counter Drizzle+Swim. It's not the same as in Singles; especially if you pay attention to the VGC Metagame, you realize that Drizzle+Swim in Doubles isn't really as awesome as it is in Singles.

Bulky Offensive is what you'll want to watch out for. And especially the Heat Wave Zapdos+IntimiTop combo. UGH THEY ARE SO ANNOYING.

Anyways, I'm definitely doing this. I can't do VGCs, so this is the closest I can get. I really enjoyed the Autumn Friendly, and since they fixed (kind of) fixed the whole problem with Ragequitters, I think this experience will be much more enjoyable. :)

5. old man

old man On Guard!!!

Wow!!!! Guess I'll be signing up when it's time. Hmmm Saba should be in this. Doubles time!!!

6. Zachmac

Zachmac Crystalline Guardian

Hm...I may go for bulky duel screens. I found that useful last time I was in a doubles tournament, and I made that team at the last second.

Sounds like fun, but I'd have to be motivated to make the team, so I'll just click maybe.

7. PokeMaster366

PokeMaster366 Well-Known Member

I don't care if I have to stand outside for eternity. I'm in this thing and I've got some new ideas I wanna try.

8. kaiser soze

kaiser soze Reading ADWD

So essentially, Autumn Friendly + non-Unovan pokemon?

9. ParaChomp

ParaChomp be your own guru

Tyranitar + Excadrill for the win!

10. Zachmac

Zachmac Crystalline Guardian

Hehehe, I'm making a team that can double as a TR team. :D When I fight tailwind/excadril/swift swim, I use trick room. Otherwise, it's dual screens and stopping TR from being set up.

11. floatzel98

floatzel98 → s o a r i n g

I would probably take part if i could, but i suck at playing VGC type matches anyway. It does look fun though.

12. Earthia100

Earthia100 Well-Known Member

Defiantly. I will be going to the VGC regionals April. This tournament would be a great way to see what's out there, and perfect my team if I have to. It's going to be a lot of fun :)

13. AzureCharizard

AzureCharizard Really? Come on now.

im probably going to use a tr team, excavalier is a awesome bulky offensive type pokemon, but shallow move pool, its move set will be protect(so wont take damage while tr is being set up and against fire)iron head, megahorn,and maybe return.

14. Pichu47

Pichu47 Fear Me, If You Dare

I'm going to do this. Looks super fun!

15. Asbestospoison

Asbestospoison Excellent Driver

I'm gonna win this ****. Just need to think of a good team...

16. Pichu47

Pichu47 Fear Me, If You Dare

I'm thinking use a team with fast and slow pokemon, and pack TR to take out nasty excadrills.

17. Soperman

Soperman The One and Only

Yup.
    I wonder why Gamefreak is obsessed with Doubles for tournaments.
    Anyway, I see this as more doubles practice. See you all on the field!

18. jstinftw!

jstinftw! hontoni

I think it's because they just want to advertise a different style of battling besides Singles, since that is the norm.

And Rotation/Triple Battles would be too complicated, leaving Doubles as the default. I like Doubles more anyways; strategies that either would or wouldn't be useful now become useful. :)

19. Missingno. Master

Missingno. Master Poison-type Trainer

I'm going for this. Definitely.

Won't reveal much about the team I'm working on. I already have boxes and boxes of EV trained stuff. It's just a matter of Random Matchup practice to see what works. So far, the only one I'm using that I used in the 2011 Autumn Friendly is my trusty Zweilous. Trust me; do not underestimate the power of this thing's Outrage. Won me more than a few matches in that tournament. Surprisingly minimal Hustle hax, too, and the Eviolite works wonders as far as defenses are concerned. Functions great with or without Trick Room (my Autumn Friendly team was a Trick Room team).

20. thatjeremykid

thatjeremykid .Memento.Mori.

i thought about raising one for a gravity team actually

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.