• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

2012 VGCS Winter Battle: Post-Tournament thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gundam Leafeon

Good video! The winning team has some pokemon not seen in wi-fi battle very often, well other then Hitmontop.. All 4 of the pokes on the losing team were in every division champ's teams at 2012 VGC. Good use of Feint with Hipmontop protect got used against me a lot during the tournament, and I used it a lot myself, and nobody even tried to us Feint. I was wandering when I would start seeing people using Feint as popular as protect has been the last 2-3 years..
Thanks man. I started running feint after the regionals in Pleasanton. A lot of people use hitmontop but I haven't seen anyone run it with feint. I have a few other tricks with how I play hitmontop that weren't illustrated in that video. I've backed up several videos from the tournament across 5 different 5th gen carts. I'll upload the other videos over the course of the next weeks.

I often will switch hitmontop out on the first turn it's been sent out, when they're protecting against the fake out, and then get it back in on the volt switch/u-turn. It stacks the intimidates, and allows me to fire the fake out bullet the following turn.

joej m

Club Double Trouble
would anyone like to battle?

Gundam Leafeon

I'm so over these goddamn WiFi tournaments. They really need to fix the disconnecting penalty. It's not fair that I'm penalized because *****es can't handle falling for feints. Being dropped from the last one was whatever because there was nothing on the line, but this time there were championship points to be obtained. I did my part to secure a spot in the top 128 but I got robbed. That ***** Taric, who placed 6th, rage quit on me the first time we battled. I had to beat his *** twice to earn the credit. How the hell did he rank, but I didn't? I need to calm down because I'm so ****ing pissed by this ****.

Synre

I'm so over these goddamn WiFi tournaments. They really need to fix the disconnecting penalty. It's not fair that I'm penalized because *****es can't handle falling for feints. Being dropped from the last one was whatever because there was nothing on the line, but this time there were championship points to be obtained. I did my part to secure a spot in the top 128 but I got robbed. That ***** Taric, who placed 6th, rage quit on me the first time we battled. I had to beat his *** twice to earn the credit. How the hell did he rank, but I didn't? I need to calm down because I'm so ****ing pissed by this ****.

Sorry about your luck, but I can guarantee you you're either confusing me with someone else or just completely making this up because I definitely didn't DC on you. I did lose to you -- I looked up who you were off of your post history and see the match in my notes -- but we were only matched up once and I didn't DC on you, so I'd appreciate if you didn't try to slander me for no reason.

Grow up.

Bathrezz

So I found out that my point score was 1493 with 5-5 but when I checked the leader charts I was no where on the list.... Would have been top 1,000 (fail)

Gundam Leafeon

Sorry about your luck, but I can guarantee you you're either confusing me with someone else or just completely making this up because I definitely didn't DC on you. I did lose to you -- I looked up who you were off of your post history and see the match in my notes -- but we were only matched up once and I didn't DC on you, so I'd appreciate if you didn't try to slander me for no reason.

Grow up.
if I'm confusing you with someone else I'm sorry. I don't want to make escuses but I'm really upset I was dropped.

I really don't any bad blood between us. We could probably learn from eachother.

Please excuse me.

Zak Attack XIII

Ace Trainer
Ok so they finally posted rankings, I place, and still NO Barry! I checked my pokemon white2's DW and no Barry.. When/ how do I get that damn Barry? Iv been waiting since the tournament ended.

1quacka1

Lazy Collector
598th with 1547 points. If I quit at my highest point (~1580ish) I could have gone up about 200 places. I still don't have the berry either. Been keeping spots open for it in my garden all week. I'll see if waking up my pokemon and game syncing again works, because the pokemon has also been there for a week.

I've been over to Nugget Bridge and Smogon, it seems they've been very heavy handed with DQing people this time around - a lot of the top guys are complaining that they were DQ'd. Hopefully it'll stop the strategic DCing a lot of top rankers from previous tournaments have actually admitted to. I wasn't a problem for me down in the low ranks, but it's still a problem that needs to be sorted. There was a couple of battles with guys in 1700s that I lost but it ended in a DC. I did wonder if this was strategic DC because I've heard that you can lose points against lower ranked players. Both times it was close(ish) so maybe I would have gotten points for giving someone higher than me a run for their money. Does anyone know exactly how the rankings work?

Osada

Pokemon lover
I really wanna complain about the system they have,, if they can detect if you turn off the machine,, why they can't tell the different who's doing RQ? I got RQ'd more that 10 times.. but I don't get to the ranking,, I didn't do RQ,, but I'm glad that there's someone with 2000+ points that RQ also didn't make it to the ratings,,, lol..

1quacka1

Lazy Collector
I really wanna complain about the system they have,, if they can detect if you turn off the machine,, why they can't tell the different who's doing RQ? I got RQ'd more that 10 times.. but I don't get to the ranking,, I didn't do RQ,, but I'm glad that there's someone with 2000+ points that RQ also didn't make it to the ratings,,, lol..

hopefully those guys will get the message and they'll be less strategic DCing next tournament.

Zak Attack XIII

Ace Trainer
Yeah I was RQ by a person with point in the 1900! The highest placed person in the masters was 1936 I believe. So ether that person was DQed or lost some matches. I really hope that figure out how to fix the quitting issue, especially with them doing VGC related tournaments online now. People quitting really really pisses me off, makes me not even want to play..

Anyone else notice that there was only 2000 some people that played the winter VGC masters division out of the Americas, Europe, Africa, Australia, and southern Asia(NOT China, Korea or Japan). There where over 10000 people that played the eevee cup master division, which was Japan only. Wtf that's pretty bad. Japan is pretty much an island and it had 5x the number of players then almost every other Continent combined.
Maybe a lot of people got DQed for RQing and that's why the numbers are so low, idk....

Last edited:

1quacka1

Lazy Collector
Yeah I was RQ by a person with point in the 1900! The highest placed person in the masters was 1936 I believe. So ether that person was DQed or lost some matches. I really hope that figure out how to fix the quitting issue, especially with them doing VGC related tournaments online now. People quitting really really pisses me off, makes me not even want to play..

Anyone else notice that there was only 2000 some people that played the winter VGC masters division out of the Americas, Europe, Africa, Australia, and southern Asia(NOT China, Korea or Japan). There where over 10000 people that played the eevee cup master division, which was Japan only. Wtf that's pretty bad. Japan is pretty much an island and it had 5x the number of players then almost every other Continent combined.
Maybe a lot of people got DQed for RQing and that's why the numbers are so low, idk....

Well just because Japan is small doesn't mean the population is. It's the 10th most populated country in the world, with 127 million people. Also I think Pokémon is a lot bigger over there. Still it's interesting that they had so many more people for a rotation tournament using Eevee and Eeveelutions only, you'd think that with such a random tournament they'd be not that many entering.
The numbers compared with the Autumn friendly are lower though; ~4000 for Autumn friendly vs ~3000 for this (masters +junior/seniors combined). They don't include the people who got DQ'd in the number of participants (I just went down to 2347 in the rankings), which means they might have DQ'd ~25% more people than usual. Sounds about right given how many are complaining that they were DQ'd

ETA: They really need to sort this problem out. The need a way of knowing who DC'd so they can just give them the loss, hopefully they'll implement this by gen6

Last edited:

joej m

Club Double Trouble
did anyone actually stay in the rankings? xD
i got 15th :3
i will admit i DC'd 2 times out of pure rage >.<
everything else was from power flickers or my mom taking my DS because "it was too late"

Bathrezz

berries released yet?

Zak Attack XIII

Ace Trainer
everything else was from power flickers or my mom taking my DS because "it was too late"

I played in the masters so there were 2x the people playing.(I believe I may be mixing up the divisions #) anyway I only placed 200 and something. I didn't really give to much effort however I kinda have no love for Nintendo's wi-fi officiating what with the RQs. Ill just stick to the live events until Nintendo does something about Quitters.
I only had 3 people RQ on me, this time. What really makes me made is they were high ranked and probably placed high too..
Anyway I hope they figure out how to fix all the RQing. During season 1 of ranked wi-fi battles I was ranked 4th in double battles in the U.S for almost 3/4 of the season and I never RQ once. However I had people RQing just about every 4 out of 5 battles!! The really shitty part was I got DQ'd because of frequent disconnecting( because my opposites were RQing ) which is total BS. I work very hard, and even took time off work to place in that season and had it all taken away from me by RQers. Makes me not even want to play wi-fi. I just entered this tournament for the Barry, even though I played to see if they fix anything..

Last edited:

NidoRich

The aim should be to DC 0 times. Dc'ing even once is bad sportsmanship.

However in the masters division I ranked 18th (5th in Europe and 1st in the UK) without DC'ing once.

NidoRich

That's pretty good!! Great job. Though I am curious what team you used?

I used a team of; Latios, Metagross, Gastrodon, Scrafty, Heatran and a Roserade.

I only used Roserade to prove to my brother that it can be used in VGC. But to be fair this isn't even close to the team I'll be using when the UK VGC finally rolls around.

Lady Umbreon

I was ranked #267 with 38 wins (42 if you count the rage quits) and 23 losses. It's my best ranking so far but I keep getting destroyed by Drizzle teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.