• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

2012 VGCS Winter Battle: The Wi-Fi Tournament Discusion Thread

Will you be participating?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
news_top_pgl_2012_winter_battle_reg_en.jpg

Sign-Ups are currently taking place! From Dec 6th-14th.
Battling begins December 15th-17th!
So get training!​

148.gif

The 2012 VGCS Winter Battle is a Wi-Fi tournament held by The Pokemon Company, International, or TCPi. Trainers from all over the world will be able to battle each other from the comforts of their own home, or wherever Wi-Fi is available. Be sure to sign up on the official Pokemon.com website, as well as on the Global Link to ensure that you can participate!

Use this thread as your way to discuss whatever you need with your fellow trainers in relation to the tournament. Feel like the current GBU Metagame, and what that could mean in the competition? Or maybe you want to discuss possible teams, or Pokemon you may be using? Maybe you just want to get a few practice battles in? Do so here!

Rules for this Competition:

• This competition will use Double Battle format.
• The Wonder Launcher will not be used.
• Players must use a copy of Pokémon Black Version 2 or Pokémon White Version 2 .
• Players may use Pokémon found in the Pokémon Black Version 2 or Pokémon White Version 2 National Pokédex, from No. 001–
649. However, the following Pokémon cannot be used: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Chatot, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza,
Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo,
Meloetta, Genesect.
• Register 4–6 of your Lv. 1–100 Pokémon to your Battle Box.
• Pokémon Level 51 or higher will automatically become Level 50 during battles.
• Nicknames you have given to your Pokémon will not be displayed.
• A 30-minute time limit for each match will automatically be enforced in-game, beginning at the start of each battle. If the outcome
has not been determined when the time limit expires, the game will automatically apply tiebreakers to determine a winner.
• At the beginning of each battle, players have two minutes to select four Pokémon to battle with.
• At the beginning of each turn, players have one minute to select moves for both Pokémon, or change the Active Pokémon.
If a player has not made his or her selections at the end of this period, the game will automatically make selections for the player.​

Age Divisions:

Players competing in the 2012 VGCS Winter Battle will be divided into two age divisions:
• Junior/Senior Division: Born 1998 or later
• Masters Division: Born 1997 or earlier​

Battles and Result Tracking:

• Players may battle as often as they like during the Wi-Fi Competition.
• Competition results will be tracked separately from GBU Random Matchups, and the competition ranking will be displayed in the
Competition Info section.​

Useable Pokemon:

• All Pokémon Level 51 or higher will have their level reduced to Level 50 during the battle.
• Pokémon below Level 50 remain at their actual level rather than being raised to Level 50 for the battle.
• A player's team may not contain two Pokémon with the same National Pokédex number.
• Pokémon may use only moves learned by one of these methods:
1) By leveling up
2) By TM or HM
3) As an Egg Move, through breeding
4) From a character in the game
5) Already known by a Pokémon received at an official Pokémon event or promotion​
• Pokémon cannot use the move Sky Drop or Dark Void during battle.​

Battle Box:
• Before the battle starts, the Pokémon on each player’s team will be displayed briefly to his or her opponent. Moves and held items
are not displayed.
• When you register your Pokémon for the Wi-Fi Competition after receiving the Digital Player ID, your Battle Box will be locked.
You will no longer be able to change your Pokémon’s moves or held items. Do not change the order of moves for Pokémon in your
locked Battle Box during the competition, or errors may occur that prevent you from completing your battles.​

Items:
• Each Pokémon on a player’s team may use held items, though no two Pokémon may hold the same item during battle.
• All items must have been acquired in Pokémon Black Version 2, Pokémon White Version 2 , Pokémon Black Version , or Pokémon
White Version , through the Pokémon Global Link, or at an offi cial Pokémon event or promotion.​

Move Effects:
• The move Nature Power will turn into Earthquake.
• The move Secret Power has a 30% chance of lowering the opponent's accuracy by one stage.
• The move Camoufl age changes the user's type to Ground type.​

Winner in Special Cases:

• If a player’s fi nal Pokémon used Selfdestruct, Explosion, Destiny Bond, or Final Gambit, and both players’ fi nal Pokémon faint as
a result, the player who used the move loses that game.
• If a player’s fi nal Pokémon used Double Edge, Volt Tackle, Flare Blitz, Take Down, Submission, Brave Bird, Wood Hammer,
Head Smash, Struggle, or Wild Volt, or was holding Life Orb, and both players’ fi nal Pokémon faint as a result, the player who
used the move wins that game.
• If both players’ final Pokémon faint due to damage from a weather condition, such as Hail or Sandstorm, the player whose
Pokémon faints last wins the game.
• If a Pokémon’s Ability (such as Rough Skin, Aftermath, Liquid Ooze, or Iron Barbs) or held item (such as Rocky Helmet), results
in each player’s fi nal Pokémon fainting, the player whose Pokémon had the Ability or held item wins the game.​

Time Limit:

• The tournament timer automatically counts down during your battle. If time runs out before either player causes his or her
opponent’s fi nal Pokémon to faint, the winner of the game will be determined by the criteria below.
1) Remaining Pokémon
a. If one player has more remaining Pokémon than the other, that player wins the game.
b. If both players have the same number of Pokémon remaining, the winner is determined by average
percentage of HP remaining.​
2) Average Percentage of HP Remaining
a. If one player’s team has a higher average percentage of HP remaining, that player wins the game.
b. If both players’ teams have the same average HP remaining, the result of the game is determined by total HP remaining.​
3) Total HP Remaining
a. If one player’s team has a higher total HP remaining, that player wins the game.
b. If both players’ teams have the same total HP remaining, the game is a tie.​

Turn Timer:

• The timer counts down while players are choosing moves.
• If time runs out, a move is automatically chosen for you, so be careful.​
Source.

Participants
Let us know you'll be playing! Fill up the form below!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
SPPF Registration Form:

OT: (Your in-game character's name)
Trainer Sprite: (Breeder, Scientist, Hiker, Roughneck, Preschooler, Youngster, Ace Trainer, or Ranger)
Friend Code: (check your Pal Pad)
Location: (Where did you register yourself in the game? On the Globe in the Pokemon Centers!)
Message: (What is the message that you put into the bottom of your Trainer Card?)
Team: (What team will you be using? Don't know? Tell us when you figure it out!)

---------------------------------------------

017.gif

PKMN Breeder Justin (jstinftw!)
0175 9162 4631
From Philippines.
"GOURMET is the reason for LIFE!"
The Team
TBD

017.gif

PKMN Breeder Astral (CrystalNinetales)
3440 1035 0248
From Virginia, USA.
"When it comes to DOUBLE TEAM, my choice is always STRATEGY!"
The Team
635.gif
376.gif
286.gif
065.gif
243.gif
593.gif

064.gif

Parasol Lady Schala (zozo)
0390 6638 6817
From Ontario, Canada.
"I don't want to SELFDESTRUCT!"
The Team
TBD

051.gif

Scientist Thing (your boss)
1893 9069 3350
From Maryland, USA.
"Do you think BATTLE BOX can actually ATTACK?"
The Team
473.gif
635.gif
212.gif
645.gif
642.gif
560.gif

049.gif

Ace Trainer GC7 (GC7)
2795 8630 0735
From Los Angeles, California, USA.
"I'm A Trainer, Please To Meet You."
The Team
TBD

049.gif

Ace Trainer Cameron (drizzleboy12)
4642 4541 3357
From Maryland, USA.
"I'm A Trainer, Please To Meet You."
The Team
145.gif
423.gif
212.gif
641.gif
591.gif
237.gif

024.gif

PKMN Ranger Outrage (joej m)
3354 1879 7795
From Maryland, USA.
"Let's battle! I say EASY WIN"
The Team
248.gif
530.gif
237.gif
488.gif
445.gif
145.gif

017.gif

PKMN Breeder Saints (Saints 5)
0175 9142 1128
From California, USA.
"I wonder if MAGIKARP are YUMMY..."
The Team
TBD

014.gif

Preschooler Artemis (Lorenzo The Comic)
4256-1689-3703
From Maryland, USA.
"I'm a Trainer, Please to meet you."
The Team
257.gif
530.gif
381.gif
186.gif
462.gif
398.gif

017.gif

PKMN Breeder KuzKan (KuzKan)
0906 0885 3154
From Portugal.
"What is your favorite pokemon?"
The Team
TBD

049.gif

Ace Trainer Andrew (Bestgamepearl)
2323-4368-2348
From Pennsylvania, USA.
"I never miss WINS. It's part of what I do every day."
The Team
TBD

017.gif

PKMN Breeder Zach (Zachmac)
3826 6350 3103
From Arizona, USA.
"GARBODOR bothers me"
The Team
130.gif
381.gif
563.gif
186.gif
149.gif
473.gif

017.gif

PKMN Breeder Marbi Z (Marbi Z)
2151-5992-5438
From Pennsylvania, USA.
"I love LOPUNNY! I love GARDEVOIR too!"
The Team
497.gif
571.gif
448.gif
475.gif
059.gif
181.gif

017.gif

PKMN Breeder Melky (Melkiah)
2108-6550-5795
From Texas, USA.
"I win! Good Day! (pikaface)!"
The Team
248.gif
530.gif
405.gif
059.gif
094.gif
205.gif

017.gif

PKMN Breeder Ching (Chingchar)
1593-3069-5095
From England, United Kingdom.
"I'm a Trainer, Please to meet you."
The Team
642.gif
485.gif
460.gif
639.gif
445.gif
272.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that's it!
Feel free to discuss anything in relation to the tournament;
your teams, your strategies, your thoughts, practice battles, requests, trades, all of it!

141.gif

Good luck in the tournament, trainers!
May the battles be in your favor!

Last edited:

Nitocrys

Because I'm Happy.
Already signed up. :D

OT: Astral
Trainer Sprite: Breeder
Friend Code: 3440 1035 0248
Message: When it comes to DOUBLE TEAM, my choice is always STRATEGY!

I decided to bring back Alakazam and Raikou from the Autumn Friendly, hopefully they do fairly well. :)

Ignore the attachment, idk why it popped up. lol

Attachments

• 017.gif
    017.gif
    14.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

zozo

SLIMED!
I'm in on this too. :) I do enjoy these wi-fi tournaments. Here's hoping the rage-quitting is way down this time around.
I'm not completely sure which team I'll be using this time around. It will probably end up being a mix-and-match from the various teams I have made. But I do know that no matter what the final team ends up being, my faithful old Lickilicky will be standing by. That has got to be the most useful Pokemon I have ever bred.

OT: Schala
Trainer Sprite: Parasol Lady
Friend Code: (in sig and I'm too lazy to re-post it)
Message: I don't want to DOWNLOAD! (will change DOWNLOAD to SELFDESTRUCT as soon as I am able.)

GC7

This War Is Ours!
Already Signed Up :D
Finally a good tournament to get away from all that smogon stuff :p
OT: GC7
Trainer Sprite: Ace Trainer
Friend Code: 2795 8630 0735
Message: I'm A Trainer, Please To Meet You......... (Yeah Too Lazy To Customize It xD)
Team: ButterFree, Kangaskhan, Latios, Mamoswine,Rotom-W,Chandelure

Last edited:

Nitocrys

Because I'm Happy.
Already Signed Up :D
Finally a good tournament to get away from all that smogon stuff :p
OT: GC7
Friend Code: 2795 8630 0735
Message: I'm A Trainer, Please To Meet You......... (Yeah Too Lazy To Customize It xD)
There's probably gonna be some smogonites in it, but yeah, it's nice to get away from all those tiers and just battle for fun.

drizzleboy12

OT: Cameron
Friend Code: 4642 4541 3357

joej m

Club Double Trouble
OT: Outrage
Trainer Sprite: pkmn ranger
Friend Code: (check your Pal Pad) 3354 1879 7795

imma see if i can do better than last time! (autumn friendly rank: 51st) I've gotten a lot of experience now.

------

Last edited:

jstinftw!

hey trainer
So awesome to see some of you Autumn Friendly guys back on! Getting everything all set up. :)

Should we do a team highlight as well? So we can see what everyone's running, get some discussion, etc? Or would that be a bit undermining to the whole tournament feel?

Nitocrys

Because I'm Happy.
So awesome to see some of you Autumn Friendly guys back on! Getting everything all set up. :)

Should we do a team highlight as well? So we can see what everyone's running, get some discussion, etc? Or would that be a bit undermining to the whole tournament feel?

i think we should do that, as it might help the newer people out a bit.

Nitocrys

Because I'm Happy.
My team:

Hydreigon
Metagross
Breeloom
Alakazam (back from the friendly)
Raikou (back from the friendly)
Jellicent

joej m

Club Double Trouble
@your boss. put a tyranitar in there. it will work well with scizor and with landorus and mamoswine.

Saints 5

OT: Saints
Trainer Sprite: Breeder
Friend Code: 0175 9142 1128
Team: I'm undecided right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.