• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

2013 Competitive Forum Suggestions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnarok

#BeastMode
Staff member
Super Mod
With Gen 6 coming out this year, I have decided to make this thread so all of you can suggest things you'd like to see happen in competitive forums once the new Gen arrives.

Suggest anything within reason and all the competitive mods will consider what is posted in the thread.

P.S No, I won't accept forum name changes, so don't post them here (you know what I'm talking about -____-). No Tier/tutor program suggestions either.

Last edited:
lol, nice thread title.

Does anyone support bringing back certified raters? It would effectively be the same thing as having a team rater badge on Smogon (and we could manage to pull some strings and maybe get actual badges involved). I know the place has certainly fallen from... uhh, grace, but there are a handful of good team raters left.

White_Roar~

Mother Monster
lol, nice thread title.

Does anyone support bringing back certified raters? It would effectively be the same thing as having a team rater badge on Smogon (and we could manage to pull some strings and maybe get actual badges involved). I know the place has certainly fallen from... uhh, grace, but there are a handful of good team raters left.

That would be interesting to bring back, as it would help people who would like their teams to be rated due to seeing (possibly a certain badge or something in a member's sig) a certified badge and the 'Team poster' would know that the member who rated that team is knowledgeable, 'certified', and experienced in the arts of Competitive Pokemon.

I also think that the certified raters thing would most likely have to be people that are chosen by Competitive moderators. (Similar to how Frontier Brains are chosen.)

BGP_

lol, nice thread title.

get our own tiers and finish guild updates lawljk :p
I approve of this idea, mostly because the RMT section is... well what you said.

Also, if this gen 6 surge really does destroy simulators as we know them (which i don't think it will entirely, and even if they stay around) I think the wifi center needs some attention returned to it. Idk exactly how, but again if there's really going to be a wifi return party then we had better be ready for it in case PO and PS or any other future simulators aren't able to adapt around the new generation. Obviously wifi is as near as death as something can be currently, so it's possible that some people probably even forgot what a "wifi" even is :p

White_Roar~

Mother Monster
Oh and, I was looking around at some profiles of old Competitive Battlers that are inactive, and I found something called: "Official Serebii Tutoring Program" in the Competitive Pokemon Section. Maybe we could bring that back? And for the mentors, I suggest that the people chosen should have at least: A post count of 40, rated teams once in a while, posted in the Competitive Pokemon section at least once, and have been a Serebii Forums member for at least 2 months. It would also have the same mentor application as the old one as well.

I mean, there are A LOT of non-Competitive Battling members that I know of, that have been seeking tutoring, but don't want to step foot into a Guild because they feel they wouldn't be able to contribute to any discussion.

Or, would this defeat the purpose of having actual Guild tutors?

Secondly, I think the Wi-Fi and Simulator Battles section should be updated with a Simulator battling sub-forum quickly. As I'm sure there are a lot of Guild and non-Guild Competitive battlers who are just 'desperate' to battle someone without literally asking.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
How about subforums that are split into these categories in the cRMT section:

Uber
OU
UU
RU
NU
Little Cup
Monotype
CAP
Balanced Hackmons
Suspect Testing

A bit far from necessary but you wouldn't have to deal with the asking "is this for UU it random Matchups?" plus it would be more organized IMO.

lol, nice thread title.

I do like the idea of a list of certified raters. I think this would give an incentive to people to learn more about successful team rating and, hopefully, improve the general quality of the CRMT section. Of course, I can only speculate that there may be a couple of problems. Some people might get the misconception that they should only listen to the advice of the "certified raters" and might ignore the advice of others (even though it may be better at times). There might also be people that could get cocky because they're on that list, although that's probably a lesser issue.

Overall, I do think that good team rating is something that should be encouraged and rewarded.

Oh and, I was looking around at some profiles of old Competitive Battlers that are inactive, and I found something called: "Official Serebii Tutoring Program" in the Competitive Pokemon Section. Maybe we could bring that back? And for the mentors, I suggest that the people chosen should have at least: A post count of 40, rated teams once in a while, posted in the Competitive Pokemon section at least once, and have been a Serebii Forums member for at least 2 months. It would also have the same mentor application as the old one as well.

I mean, there are A LOT of non-Competitive Battling members that I know of, that have been seeking tutoring, but don't want to step foot into a Guild because they feel they wouldn't be able to contribute to any discussion.

Or, would this defeat the purpose of having actual Guild tutors?

This actually has been discussed before, and I personally think this would be a good thing to start back up if we can get enough good players to apply as tutors. Guild tutor's are shaky because they can range anywhere from really bad to really good. If we can get a certified list of people that the staff can agree would make good tutors, then we would be able to have a list of people that you know you can really learn from, and you can know that you would be getting a quality education.

White_Roar~

Mother Monster
This actually has been discussed before, and I personally think this would be a good thing to start back up if we can get enough good players to apply as tutors. Guild tutor's are shaky because they can range anywhere from really bad to really good. If we can get a certified list of people that the staff can agree would make good tutors, then we would be able to have a list of people that you know you can really learn from, and you can know that you would be getting a quality education.

How would we actually define who's a good tutor? Battle Videos? CRMT Rates? Post quality? Application-length that holds good quality, facts, effort, and good vocabulary/grammar?

That reminds me, I definitely think that the other styles of battling should... receive more 'attention', in the "Competitive" Pokemon section. Like maybe there could be a specific RMT section (after clicking on 5th Gen/current Gen), then you could choose: Single Battling RMT or Double Battling RMT sections. So the RMT threads wouldn't all be in just one sub-forum, where you click on an RMT and wonder what kind of team it could be. It would definitely be more organized.

This also applies to possible Guild Double Battling Wars. That, would be very interesting to see~! Because, we'd have to change the war-lineup with members skilled in that specific style of battling, instead of the usual Singles War all the time. Like how in RSE/DPPt/BW/B2W2 you can have multiple players on a team.

In Doubles, 2 people have 3 Pokemon each.

It would really give more variety on who 'goes to war'And risk their life on the battlefield.

And finally, maybe we could bring back the - "SPPF Poster of the Week! *insert number here*"? It would be really nice to be nominated/nominate someone every week! XD Or change it to - "SPPF Poster of the Month! *insert number here*"

And by poster, I mean "Competitive Poster" of course. .__.

Ragnarok

#BeastMode
Staff member
Super Mod
Guild Tutors? :confused: Eh, no, same with a community chat thread.

The tutoring program most likely isn't coming back. Twice the program failed to maintain activity within the section, as this was a combination of tutees not caring enough to show up / get better and many of the chosen tutors not turning up or properly explaining the theory behind battling. Quite simply they didn't know how to teach.

Of the decent battlers I know on this site, there only 2 / 3 of them I would trust to actually trust to tutor people here and that isn't enough to justify reviving something that failed twice already, and before anyone says that it will be different this time, well, people said the same thing when they wanted to bring it back years ago and I know how that turned out.

So yeah, give up on the whole tutoring thing for the time being.

There is no interest at all in Triple / Rotation battles, not enough to justify supporting them.

The Wi-Fi and Simulator forums act as one. People can request battles on simulators there already. No point in a sub-forum.

Also, don't talk about how frontier brains were chosen. You don't know how they were chosen.

your boss

Having other sub-forums for other metagames is a good suggestion, but having too many is not ideal. Those can be merged.

bgp

The wifi forums will receive more attention around the time gen 6 comes out, though I doubt simulators will disappear entirely.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
bgp

The wifi forums will receive more attention around the time gen 6 comes out, though I doubt simulators will disappear entirely.

Either smogon will make their own Gen 6 sprites, or they'll just move the simulator to 3D LOL.

How about a Competitive Abbreviation explained. It can really help the newbies (Eh, heck, I was super confused when I started, I was just like "what is SR???") or maybe like a team building guide. My first team was horrendous...

Zachmac

How about a Competitive Abbreviation explained. It can really help the newbies (Eh, heck, I was super confused when I started, I was just like "what is SR???") or maybe like a team building guide. My first team was horrendous...
Though, we could really do these without having to suggest a forum for it, since there already is a guide section today. In fact, it even has a team building guide made by AromaFlora in it. All we would need is a good competitive player and author.

Hauntershadow92

The Mono-type Man
Guild Tutors? :confused: Eh, no, same with a community chat thread.

The tutoring program most likely isn't coming back. Twice the program failed to maintain activity within the section, as this was a combination of tutees not caring enough to show up / get better and many of the chosen tutors not turning up or properly explaining the theory behind battling. Quite simply they didn't know how to teach.

Of the decent battlers I know on this site, there only 2 / 3 of them I would trust to actually trust to tutor people here and that isn't enough to justify reviving something that failed twice already, and before anyone says that it will be different this time, well, people said the same thing when they wanted to bring it back years ago and I know how that turned out.

So yeah, give up on the whole tutoring thing for the time being.
I vaguely remember a tutoring program from the DPP era, but can't seem to find it. I think the only reason that died was because the lack of new players, new games and the same old strategies being used over and over. A lot of people got bored of DPP, from what I recall. If you do implement a tutoring program, it would have to be soon to take advantage of the last few months of BW.

Just my few cents. I remember a lot of people liked the tutoring. But then again, it was like 3-4 years ago and my memory isn't the best haha.

Ragnarok

#BeastMode
Staff member
Super Mod
No, it was a combination of tutors and students disappearing/not showing up.

I've made my stance on the tutoring program clear. There aren't enough active, decent battlers (that also knows how to teach) to justify reviving the tutoring program, and past experience has shown me that it doesn't work on Serebii. This will be the last time this is brought up in this thread.

McDanger

I like your boss`s suggestion, it may encourage rmts in other tiers
also what about bringing back the certified raters, i personally find it annoying getting poor rates that make no sense

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
I was thinking the POTW section is pretty cluttered and unorganized, with people posting the same sets over and over again.

So, what I thought was that if Blue Harvest or any of the other mods put up a few basic sets in the opening post, and have a rule that you cannot post those sets again, we could come up with more creative sets and ease readability.

And I also thought that we could have a sort of weekly competition in the Art thread with the subject of the POTW as the topic, and post the winner's artwork with the POTW, we could make the POTWs more interesting and unique, to kind of distinguish it from Smogon's analysis.

I was thinking the POTW section is pretty cluttered and unorganized, with people posting the same sets over and over again.

So, what I thought was that if Blue Harvest or any of the other mods put up a few basic sets in the opening post, and have a rule that you cannot post those sets again, we could come up with more creative sets and ease readability.

And I also thought that we could have a sort of weekly competition in the Art thread with the subject of the POTW as the topic, and post the winner's artwork with the POTW, we could make the POTWs more interesting and unique, to kind of distinguish it from Smogon's analysis.

It doesn't really matter if the POTW thread gets cluttered. The people who write it are good enough to arrange what they need. I can't speak on behalf of Miror, but when I wrote it I mostly just skimmed the POTW thread for puns lol.

As for the second part, involving art stuff. That's a cool idea. I asked Serebii about it but he said he doesn't want fanart on-site. Can't really counter his argument but maybe we can do something like that on the forums. POTW art contest maybe?

Lets look into it then. The POTW thread honestly is basically useless in terms of sets. 95% are terrible and the 5% that are usable are usually standards that the POTW staff already knows. It is mostly for the community aspect, though in rare moments the thread comes up with a set that ends up on site that isn't standard. I used to use it just for puns lol. Allowing people to post art would be pretty cool.

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
I realize I'm a little tardy to the party, but I also like the whole certified rater thing. It will give people who only rate for friends more incentive to rate other threads and people who don't rate... well, incentive to put more thought into rates to do well at rating.

I forgot if threads have to be approved by mods on the main competitive forum, as I haven't posted in a while, but I would like to see it so that mod's have to approve it so we don't get threads that are a simple question. It might seem like a lot of hastle for the mods in the beginning of the gen change but I would like to see it implemented in mid-later stages of the gen when less threads are posted. Is their a possible code that could delay the forced mod approval of threads (not sure how to put that better, and I haven't done any web site programming in years)

Status
Not open for further replies.