1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

2013 Competitive Forum Suggestions Thread

Discussion in 'Older Gens' started by Ragnarok, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shreyas

Shreyas Well-Known Member

Just a quick thought: I really think the following rule:

Serebii plays under Smogon's standard ruleset. However, if you're playing under a specific set of rules / restrictions, whether it be for another battling community or a tournament, then it's a good idea to state that in the first paragraph of your post so raters don't walk in and potentially look foolish in whatever rate they post.

should be enforced a bit more. I understand that it is unnecessary to lock a thread just cause it doesn't say "UU" in the first paragraph, but I'd just like to see some more specifications of the tiers some of the RMTs are playing under. I've seen teams that say "Doubles" but, there are 2 doubles metagames. Do we assume that they mean VGCs? or do we assume it is Smogon OU Doubles? It is almost necessary for a good rate.

2. Sparkbeat

Sparkbeat FLASH! AAAHHHAAA!

You ask the creator of the RMT which one they mean. Most people that have an idea of what they're doing WILL state Smogon Doubles or VGC. Most newbs don't bother to read the rules anyways so making a change to them won't make much of a difference. Like I said, the best way is either read the RMT (Assuming it has descriptions) and use context clues, or to ask them.

3. Well, it's hard to penalize someone for not being specific about the rule set that they play by. The best thing to do is just assume, as usual, that the person is playing by the standard Smogon tiers. If they are not and confusion is caused by this, then it is the thread owner's fault and it is their responsibility to sort things out.

On the other hand, having that kind of confusion can lead to some pretty useless posts by confused raters and, every once in a while, a load of garbage posts about which rule set they're using and whether it's better than Smogon's or not and blah blah blah. I can definitely see where you're coming from with this.

4. Eliteknight

Eliteknight S.L.Y.

Revival of a Official League
    For gen VI i would like to see a return of a serebii league of sorts once again. This will allow newer players to have something to strive for within the community while introducing them to other players within it. Some positive aspects of a league include: more of a sense of belonging within the community, achknowledgment for skills, and something to strive for. Negative aspects: as you well know this is alot of work to run, there could be johns within the league, and the complaining about hax on both sides would be annoying. I however feel that a league is worth it.

More Emphasis on the certified Raters/RMT Section
    I feel that the RMT section has dropped in quality since last year when the teams were well rated, and the posts were well made. The certified raters madea return but then sort of died again i feel that this system could be made to be very effective with a little bit of polishing up. Such changes like the recent approval of RMTs will also improve the quality.

RMT Archieve
    I also feel that the RMT archieve has been unloved since the demotion of Gamefreak. In my opinion this would also help boost the quality of the RMT's within the community.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  5. Naoto Shirogane

Naoto Shirogane The Detective Prince

Like to see both of them happen. I also like support for the rmt archive because it's dead. we have had 1 bw2 team in it and I think danger posted a worthy team but no one ever archives them anymore.

6. Klaus™

Klaus™ Banned

Even during lizardman's reign, it was kinda ignored, by everyone except the one or two users ho would nominate something. Though i do feel all this could be improved upon.

I believe i proposed this before, but something you could do to improve the rmt section in general is introduce moderator approval, to make sure it follows the rules like in the 5th gen subforum, and the guild subforum. That way you introduce a sense of communion and also make sure the rmt section isnt complete doodoo. It also gives the mods a chance to say 'yeah this meets the requirements, but maybe you could try a better job in the future' or even 'this us what we want to see, maybe you could edit this in?'

7. Ragnarok

Ragnarok #BeastMode Staff Member Super Mod

That's already happening.

Klaus™ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.