• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

2013 Fanfiction Awards - Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
First off, I don't have near the same number of nominees I had last year, mainly because with school, promotions at work, and my family I had almost zero time to look up new fics. Secondly, my apologies for not nominating in every category either. I'm also getting this in at the last minute, which sucks because I really like writing little blurbs about each fic I nominate, much like Jax has done above. If I want this in on time though I'm going to have to avoid doing that. Thanks to everyone who nominated me this year, and good luck to everyone!

Overall Fiction Awards

Best Pokemon Chaptered Fic Survival Project by diamondpearl876

Best New Pokemon Chaptered Fic Anima Ex Machina REBOOT by JX Valentine

Best Pokemon One-Shot

Best Non-Pokemon Chaptered Fic

Best Non-Pokemon One-Shot

Other Fic Awards

Best Plot Anima Ex Machina REBOOT by JX Valentine

Most Original Overall Salvage by Negrek

Best Writing Style Survival Project by diamondpearl876

Best Description Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Overthrown by Knightfall

Best Setting Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Overthrown by Knightfall

Best Expansion of Canon Operation GEAR The Angel of Reckoning by The Great Butler

Best Character Development Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Overthrown by Knightfall

Best Characterization in a Short Story

Best Romantic Relationship

Best Non-Romantic Relationship/Interaction Ezrem/Kuiora Survival Project by diamondpearl876

Best Original Species The Ixodida Anima Ex Machina REBOOT by JX Valentine

Most Suspenseful Fic Earth Air Water Fire by Bulba the Great!

Most Heartbreaking Fic

Pokemon Genre Awards

Best Trainer Fic Hero’s Bond by Shadow Lucario

Best Horror Fic

Best Comedy Fic 404 Error 2 File Not Found by Missingno.Master

Best Fantasy/Sci-Fi Fic

Best Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Fic Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Overthrown by Knightfall

Best Pokemon-Centric

Best Canon Character-Centric

Character Awards

Best Human Main Character Bill Anima Ex Machina REBOOT by JX Valentine

Best Non-Human Main Character Adam Anima Ex Machina REBOOT by JX Valentine

Best Human Supporting Character Nekou Operation GEAR The Angel of Reckoning by The Great Butler

Best Non-Human Supporting Character

Best Human Villain

Best Non-Human Villain Mismagius Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Overthrown by Knightfall

Best Minor Character

Funniest Character Logan Earth Air Water Fire by Bulba the Great!

Fic Moments Awards*

Funniest Scene

Most Frightening Scene

Most Heartbreaking Scene

Most Heartwarming Scene

Best Action Scene

Best Cliffhanger

Most Memorable Quote

Author Awards

Best Established Writer Dragonfree

Best New Writer Negrek

Most Dedicated Writer FlamingRuby

Most Improved Writer Knightfall

Reviewer Awards**

Most Helpful Reviewer JX Valentine

Sample - Review for Knightfall

Most Dedicated Reviewer Glover

Sample - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?565021-Requiem-(PG-13)&p=16985477#post16985477

To the casual observer, Glover's post that I linked will seem like a good and insightful review. But I nominated him for a reason that actually encompasses much more than what I could possibly link to. Not only has he constantly been there with his views and helpful opinions for many people throughout the years, but he also does so when he takes extended breaks from the forums. Hell, he stopped commenting on my chapters for so long that I stopped PM'ing him when I updated. But BAM, one day, right out of the blue he bombs right back in. Fully caught up, fully brilliant, and brings things to my attention that I hadn't even thought of. I'm giving Glover this nomination not because of a single review or even several, I'm giving it to him because he's a good person and a dedicated reviewer that I feel truly privileged to know. My fic was changed because of him.

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Just me
Sidewinder said:
Best Pokemon-Centric The Legend’s End by Scaldaver
I really don't think that fic counts as Pokémon-centric. It's a trainer fic, from a trainer's point of view, where the obvious main characters are two trainers. I'll grant you there's more focus on the Pokémon than there might be in an average trainer fic, but that doesn't make it part of the Pokémon-centric genre, unless you have a good argument for considering it that.

Also, I noticed you didn't provide links to sample reviews by your reviewer nominations - while JX Valentine has been nominated by others, Glover hasn't, so it would be helpful if you could include one.

(Everyone else who's been nominating, please make sure your nominations are appropriate to the categories you nominated them in and provide the individual example in question where appropriate; otherwise they'll have to be discarded. Please don't take the fact I'm commenting on Sidewinder's and not on yours to mean yours are necessarily fine - I just happened to notice it in Sidewinder's post.)

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
I really don't think that fic counts as Pokémon-centric. It's a trainer fic, from a trainer's point of view, where the obvious main characters are two trainers. I'll grant you there's more focus on the Pokémon than there might be in an average trainer fic, but that doesn't make it part of the Pokémon-centric genre, unless you have a good argument for considering it that.

Also, I noticed you didn't provide links to sample reviews by your reviewer nominations - while JX Valentine has been nominated by others, Glover hasn't, so it would be helpful if you could include one.

(Everyone else who's been nominating, please make sure your nominations are appropriate to the categories you nominated them in and provide the individual example in question where appropriate; otherwise they'll have to be discarded. Please don't take the fact I'm commenting on Sidewinder's and not on yours to mean yours are necessarily fine - I just happened to notice it in Sidewinder's post.)

Thanks for pointing that out for me. I suppose that in my rush to get my nom's out, I made a few oversights. I'll correct them now. Thanks!

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Any chance of a small extension? Say, to Friday, perhaps? Not sure if there's anybody else out there who might appreciate it, but might as well ask.

For now, I at least have my minimum required four nominations, and I'm pretty sure they haven't been made (for these categories) yet!

Overall Fiction Awards
Best New Pokemon Chaptered Fic
The Martial Way by moonlightning - Although this is only one chapter in, it's an extremely promising story that already shows an interesting premise, snappy prose, and a deft handling of both character and action scenes. Definitely one to watch... assuming it updates again someday.

Other Fic Awards
Best Setting
The Flash Drive of Champions by Rediamond - The first story arc in this 'fic largely takes place within a hyper-religious community that believes pokémon training to be immoral, and throughout we get glimpses into a Kanto caught in the crossfire of a revolutionary movement and the rise of a powerful crime syndicate. Rediamond does a great job of putting his own spin on the pokémon world's history, and future chapters promise to explore it even farther from a variety of different angles.

Pokemon Genre Awards
Best Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Fic
Explorers of the Aftermath by ChaosCaptain - Although it's only two chapters in at this point, this 'fic has already gone a long way towards building up an intriguing world and characters. We're looking at a world where guilds and exploration teams are talked of in the past tense, and ChaosCaptain's characters are in a much more dire situation than your typical confused former human and happy-go-lucky exploration team pal.
Best Pokémon-Centric
Monsters Among Us by GingerDixie - Despite the fact that pokéballs have never been invented, pokémon remain second-class citizens. GingerDixie does a great job of getting into the head of various pokémon characters as they navigate in a world on the brink of violent revolution.

Character Awards
Best Non-Romantic Relationship/Interaction
Sammy and Tommy from Brother's Bond - I defy you to read the 'fic and not d'aww at these two at least once. Seriously.

Author Awards
Most Dedicated Writer
Cutlerine - Cutlerine is a relentless writer who's done more than anyone in recent memory to explore the limits of what constitutes "fanfiction." And they do it all on an impressive update schedule (seriously, if you've never had to do some kind of updated adventure game, you don't understand how hard this is) while keeping the quality consistently high.
Ysavvryl - Ysavvryl started and completed a >200,000-word chapterfic this year, in addition to continuing her Pokédex One-Shots collection (more than 350 done so far), and that's not even an atypical yearly output for her. She's obviously got lots of stories to tell and the drive to get them all out there for others to enjoy.

Last edited:

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Any chance of a small extension? Say, to Friday, perhaps? Not sure if there's anybody else out there who might appreciate it, but might as well ask.

Psychic and I had a quick chat and I've decided to extend it by one more week to March 5.

This is going to be the last extension.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Thread closed. Hang tight for the voting process! Got to allow time for Dragonfree to set it all up as usual on her site.

Status
Not open for further replies.