• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

2013 Winter Friendly Wi-Fi Tournament Discussion Thread

Will you participate in this new tournament?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

floodz66

The Masked Trainer
I spent a while ev training my Kyuren-w and a few other pokemon just for this. I have a full sand team, but, going against a bunch of Ubers will not be fun unless i bring my own.

Arande

OT: Arande
Trainer Sprite: Breeder
Age Division: masters
Friend Code: 2581 0965 3269

I usually don't use legendaries, but meh. If that's the rules of theis tourney, so be it. Do like how it's rotationals, albeit I would have preferred the eeveelution cup. On a random note, who do you talk to to get your favorite poke registered on your trainer card? the one that appears next to you?

Still thinking fo a team, only know of 2 of 6 for sure.

edit: Anyone that played the last JP tourney that allowed legendaries, was dark void allowed? Or is that stil banned despite darkrai being allowed. mmmm, lums.

Last edited:

Zachmac

edit: Anyone that played the last JP tourney that allowed legendaries, was dark void allowed? Or is that stil banned despite darkrai being allowed. mmmm, lums.
Well, there is a link to the rules on the front post. I didn't really check them out at first, but turns out Dark Void is banned.

Kind of weird, since this isn't doubles, but I suppose all it means is that I won't have to waste a turn making my Whimscott use Safeguard.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
If I decide to sign up for this tourney I'll have to brush up on my Rotation battle skills. Also my stance on using Legendaries is still the same as it was when I first got back into Pokemon! REAL TRAINERS DON'T USE LEGENDARIES!!!

Zachmac

If I decide to sign up for this tourney I'll have to brush up on my Rotation battle skills. Also my stance on using Legendaries is still the same as it was when I first got back into Pokemon! REAL TRAINERS DON'T USE LEGENDARIES!!!
Why not use legendaries? In OU, where they're more balanced with other pokemon, it's fine, but in an Ubers tournament...I hope you like losing, and a lot of it.

And besides, is it really unfair to use a Palkia against someone if they are using Dialga?

If you want to win competitively, you have to learn to separate it from in-game. They're completely different.

old man

On Guard!!!
I think I have everyone trained. Wish I could test them out cause I'm still not sure about some movesets. Don't know if they are gonna work or not. I gotta find more wings to finish up one guy.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
Why not use legendaries? In OU, where they're more balanced with other pokemon, it's fine, but in an Ubers tournament...I hope you like losing, and a lot of it.

And besides, is it really unfair to use a Palkia against someone if they are using Dialga?

If you want to win competitively, you have to learn to separate it from in-game. They're completely different.
I said IF I decide to join! Although I've battled many People with Legendaries in Pokemon Battle Revolution and won! So well see... When I enter tourney's I just play to have fun And non EV'ed Legends can be bested with the right moves.

KuzKan

No one uses non ev'd pokemon in competitions tho xD
unless they are people who are entering with an in game team

Zachmac

I said IF I decide to join! Although I've battled many People with Legendaries in Pokemon Battle Revolution and won! So well see... When I enter tourney's I just play to have fun And non EV'ed Legends can be bested with the right moves.
Well, what division are you in? If you're in masters, most will probably be better then what you saw on battle revolution, and will have EV trained their pokemon.

At least, judging from the last tourny, even if it was doubles...

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
No one uses non ev'd pokemon in competitions tho xD
unless they are people who are entering with an in game team
I participated in many WiFi tourney's KuzKan... There are plenty of people that go in with in game, Non, EV'd teams.

KuzKan

i bet in 100 matches you see 5 people like that tho...
i also faced people with in game teams just for fun but 90% +/- of people train their pokemons
and actually... "normal" pokemon can kill legends in one hit even if they are ev trained pretty easily...
there are lots of pokemons that can do that, most of them need gems or sun/rain but thats easily doable

Zachmac

^There is nothing wrong with using "normal" pokemon, but I'll doubt you'll cover all the major Ubers only using those and nothing else.
I participated in many WiFi tourney's KuzKan... There are plenty of people that go in with in game, Non, EV'd teams.
Which ones were these?

In the last one, I only came across one in-game team. Ah well, suite yourself, I suppose. What you use is your decision. You'll just be putting yourself in at a massive disadvantage, and should probably lose almost every battle.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
^There is nothing wrong with using "normal" pokemon, but I'll doubt you'll cover all the major Ubers only using those and nothing else. Which ones were these?

In the last one, I only came across one in-game team. Ah well, suite yourself, I suppose. What you use is your decision. You'll just be putting yourself in at a massive disadvantage, and should probably lose almost every battle.
You only came across one in game team last tourney? I came across plenty! And like I said earlier I may or may not join due to the fact they'll allowing Legendaries I'm also not a big fan of rotation battles. Come to think of it why did they set up divisions in WiFi tourney's!? I understand local events and all but WiFi tourney's!? Any 20+ year old could just lie about there age! TPCI doesn't require any proof of age or anything!

jstinftw!

hey trainer
You only came across one in game team last tourney? I came across plenty! And like I said earlier I may or may not join due to the fact they'll allowing Legendaries I'm also not a big fan of rotation battles. Come to think of it why did they set up divisions in WiFi tourney's!? I understand local events and all but WiFi tourney's!? Any 20+ year old could just lie about there age! TPCI doesn't require any proof of age or anything!

Because you get Championship Points for ranking well in these Wi-Fi Tournaments for the Play! Pokemon annual events. In order to qualify for Worlds, you have to have a certain number of Championship Points, acquired from participating and ranking well in Regionals, Nationals, and now, Wi-Fi Tournaments. Having age divisions makes it so that all players, regardless of their age, get a chance to rank and earn Championship Points. Otherwise, trainers in the Masters Division would more than likely take all of the CP, barring a few Seniors players who play at a Masters level.

Edit: Also, about lying about your age, sure you can do that online, but if you're in for the Championship Points, you can't. So it's really not that important where you are playing in, unless you're actually trying for the Play! Pokemon events.

Last edited:

Lorenzo The Comic

Pokémon Maniac
When I played Christmas Cup, there was no usage of Dark Void, and most of the Arceus I encountered were Ghost-type probably so that it can use Extremespeed while its opponent can't do the same to it.

Zachmac

Any good uber tailwind sweepers? I'd like to avoid the Hoen Trio, since I lost my SoulSilver and my team's Reshiram wouldn't get along with Kyogre very well...even though Groudon sounds really appealing.

So far, I've got Dialga, Reshiram, and Black Kyurem as sweepers. Mewtwo, Giritina, Genesect, Palkia, Terrakion and Keldeo are all easy for me to reach at the moment, though Palkia and Keldeo may clash with the team a bit since my Whimsicott will be running sunny day to check Kyogre. I've also soft reset for a Calm Mind Arceus on my Black, though I can't remember if it's speed based or defensive.

Edit: I'm leaning towards Calm Mind Giratina Altered form, but that may be risky with all the STAB dragon attacks that will be running around.

Another Edit: Well, now that I think about it, my team will have Dual Screen, wish, and Tail Wind support, so setting up Calm Minds against Draco Meteors shouldn't be that difficult. I'll guess I'll be using that one, then.

Last edited:

old man

On Guard!!!
This sucks cause I can't test these guys out in the GBU before this happens... Not sure if I should bring a bulky jirachi or my attacking DM ONE.....

Zachmac

I'm stuck between Light Clay or Soul Dew on my Latias...I just can't decide. If I go for soul dew, I'll probably only want to have one screen up at a time, but that 50% special boost would be really helpful...but if I used Light Clay, I could set up both screens and not have to worry as much about time...

Though, if I set up both screens with soul dew, I'd have four turns before the first barrier breaks, right? Or would setting them up count as the first turn?

jstinftw!

hey trainer
I'm stuck between Light Clay or Soul Dew on my Latias...I just can't decide. If I go for soul dew, I'll probably only want to have one screen up at a time, but that 50% special boost would be really helpful...but if I used Light Clay, I could set up both screens and not have to worry as much about time...

Though, if I set up both screens with soul dew, I'd have four turns before the first barrier breaks, right? Or would setting them up count as the first turn?
Soul Dew is illegal. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.