• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

2013 Winter Friendly Wi-Fi Tournament Discussion Thread

Will you participate in this new tournament?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
Strategy games are a funny thing. Just because one pokemon team has a higher overall health percentage doesn't mean it's winning. And, also, as this game is about strategy, the important part is who's strategy will cause them to win.

You can't just look at a pokemon battle and always know exactly what strategy each is using, or what they're thinking at the time. You can try and guess or predict, but it won't always be accurate.

Then there is luck. If your pokemon is faster, and has a 40-60% chance to finish off the opponent before they finish you, who wins?

It's just too difficult to tell in some situations.
This is exactly what I love and hate about this game... most of the time you'll find people using the same generic sets that arguably aren't broken, but don't exactly inspire creativeness. At the same time, pulling off some creative idea's doesn't always work, thus hurting the need to think out of the box. Regardless of that little bit of nit-picking, the competitive style of Pokemon is quite fascinating given how many strategies you can come up with.

floodz66

The Masked Trainer
How bout this, why not just give the points to the one who didn't DQ and take the points from the one who did. Waiting one hour after each DQ isn't as big a punishment as it should be.

Joltik-Kid

How bout this, why not just give the points to the one who didn't DQ and take the points from the one who did. Waiting one hour after each DQ isn't as big a punishment as it should be.
How could you implement that though... people could easily fib about something like that. Let's be honest, it's not like those guys keep track of every battle

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
It's just too difficult to tell in some situations.

On the other hand, the majority of ragequits I've found happen either when one player has one Pokémon left at low HP and the other has a a faster Pokémon, or after the match itself ends and the game is getting ready to process the battle video. In these cases, it should be obvious. (For that matter, I don't understand how ragequitting can even happen during the latter. The match has been decided.)

Also, ragequitting rarely ever happens when the ragequitter outnumbers the opponent. They are always either equal in quantity or the ragequitter has fewer Pokémon (almost always one).

Sylveön

Oldie Pokemon Fan :3
I dont think winning and losing is pivotal to rankings I think its based on how frequently you battled. I mean When I lost I was suprise my rank went up not down. I like to think winning matches do help you rank up faster but frequent battlers will rank up too even if they lose some.

floodz66

The Masked Trainer
How could you implement that though... people could easily fib about something like that. Let's be honest, it's not like those guys keep track of every battle

When you turn off your game during an online battle and try to do another, they will tell you that since you turned your game off, you have to wait an hour before playing online again, i was thinking that if they can do that, they can also give points to the one who got DQed on. It shouldn't be too hard to implement, at least i don't think it would be too hard.

Silvershark

HAWLUCHA!!!
I dont think winning and losing is pivotal to rankings I think its based on how frequently you battled. I mean When I lost I was suprise my rank went up not down. I like to think winning matches do help you rank up faster but frequent battlers will rank up too even if they lose some.

No, that was just the Rating system taking a long time to update from your previous battles. You don't gain points from losses.

When you turn off your game during an online battle and try to do another, they will tell you that since you turned your game off, you have to wait an hour before playing online again, i was thinking that if they can do that, they can also give points to the one who got DQed on. It shouldn't be too hard to implement, at least i don't think it would be too hard.

It doesn't work that way because it is the game card itself reading that you shut off your DS and then implementing an hour ban. That's why the last few wifi tournaments have required B2W2 and why people can get around the one hour ban by disconnecting their internet source rather than shutting off their DS. Now nintendo is capable of detecting disconnected matches, but not the one who did the disconnecting; or at least I hope that's the case, as they are prone to disqualifying people who were heavily DC'd on even though they themselves didn't do any of the disconnecting.

Last edited:

Expert Evan

Old Fogey
While the system makes it harder to disconnect by simply shutting off the game, another way is to actually go to a place outside of wifi range until connection is completely lost and then come back to wifi range and search for another battle. I never did this during this competition but had done it previously in other random wifi battles. Still, regardless of whom disconnects, both involved will get penalized and unfortunately this is unfair to the one that stayed on the entire time. I know I won't get ranked similarly like the last 2 events since more than 10% of my matches did indeed end in lost connections. If you have no way of possibly winning a match, the least you can do is forfeit the match and let your opponent move on, but sadly there are just too many trolls out there. For a glimpse of all my recorded matches (including one with zachmac) can be found here: http://www.pokecheck.org/?p=search&vid=&facility=4&type=4&hasot=11471/38258 as I know I could've changed out certain moves (stone edge > stealth rock for example) had I known better how rotation worked.

Rio!

Composer
No, that was just the Rating system taking a long time to update from your previous battles. You don't gain points from losses.

It doesn't work that way because it is the game card itself reading that you shut off your DS and then implementing an hour ban. That's why the last few wifi tournaments have required B2W2 and why people can get around the one hour ban by disconnecting their internet source rather than shutting off their DS. Now nintendo is capable of detecting disconnected matches, but not the one who did the disconnecting; or at least I hope that's the case, as they are prone to disqualifying people who were heavily DC'd on even though they themselves didn't do any of the disconnecting.

In that way, I am glad that's why the Tournament has been moved to Black/White 2. I understand not wanting the original game players being left out, but yeah. It's getting time to move on.

I am hoping Disconnecting penalty will be improved upon in some kind of way for X and Y.

Joltik-Kid

In that way, I am glad that's why the Tournament has been moved to Black/White 2. I understand not wanting the original game players being left out, but yeah. It's getting time to move on.

I am hoping Disconnecting penalty will be improved upon in some kind of way for X and Y.
Hopefully X and Y keep this function (as in tournaments).... as Game Freak is known to utterly destroy their own ideas in the very next generation.

Arande

usually ratings are posted the week after.

As for the RQ stuff, yeah, hope X/Y have something better. That's the issue with peertopeer games as opposed to using a server that can go 'Gee, player A has entered a command, player B's connection seems to ahve timed out. ooks like player A wins"

i mean, if they took the time to put the 1 hour ban, couldn't they have just as easily send a message to the server that the cart's last match was interrupted next time the player went on the competition? And if so, why not just not let them continue after so many?

Anyways, odds are it'll just continue still, even through next gen :/

floodz66

The Masked Trainer
I hope they figure something out, an hour ban isn't enough of a punishment, and even then there is ways round the ban itself.

MSK

Well as I've been doing, I suggest everyone keeps a track of those people that RQ on them (Name and location if given) then email the list to Pokémon Support at the end of the event, hopefully if enough people do it and the same names pop up on lots of people's lists then they'll get banned permanently.

ludiloco

Hey guys now that the tournament is over did I battle any of you? I was using this team:

Nickname: Nathan
237.gif
445.gif
567.gif
596.gif
121.gif
059.gif

It was really hard to keep up with the ones who used legendaries but managed to get some wins, my Hitmontop defeated and ES Arceus and Archeops took down the Therians.

hawkeye721

なんと素敵な歌!!!!!!!!
I was mainly using a shuckle, darmainitain, jolteon, and meloetta

If we battled and was disconnected, my wifi was going in and out, Im not a RQ ;_;

Zachmac

Hey guys now that the tournament is over did I battle any of you? I was using this team:

237.gif
445.gif
567.gif
596.gif
121.gif
059.gif

It was really hard to keep up with the ones who used legendaries but managed to get some wins, my Hitmontop defeated and ES Arceus and Archeops took down the Therians.
Hm...I do recall fighting an Archeops early in the competition.

Do you remember fighting a Murkrow at all? And is your Archeops holding the flying gem.

Joltik-Kid

237.gif
445.gif
567.gif
596.gif
121.gif
059.gif

I didn't get to battle you (at least I don't think I did)

My Charizard took down Genesect and Haxorus took down Reshiram, Ho-Oh, Zekrom, Dialga, Kyogre, Black/White Kyurem (sometimes). I even think Breloom got a win against the Kyurems. Best Pikachu did was take down a Dragonite

ludiloco

Hm...I do recall fighting an Archeops early in the competition.

Do you remember fighting a Murkrow at all? And is your Archeops holding the flying gem.

I only fought legendaries and fully evolved pokemon. My Archeops was holding a rock gem to unleash a powerful rock slide, it only used acrobatics once to defeat a Landorus.

Hitmontop had a Sash, Garchomp was my sash-breaker with Dual Chop, Galvantula had a grass gem, Starmie a life orb and Arcanine an Air Balloon.

floodz66

The Masked Trainer
Rakings are up, my ranking is 780, with 11 wins and six losses. My rating was 1575, would have been much higher except the RQing was very common for me for some reason.

EDIT: Is higher or lower ranking better? First tourny lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.