• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

2016 Yu-Gi-Oh! Movie

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Lol, did this really merit a thread of its own XD? Considering we really don't have any information about the movie itself, I don't see how there can be a discussion about it. I'm sure there are people out there who are excited for it (I sure am, lol), but it just feels weird. How many years has it been since the original Yu-Gi-Oh? Like over a decade now, right? This just feels so weird how there's all these franchises having some kind of reboot. It's almost like it's pandering to the older audience who grew up with it.

(Which is true for just about a lot of things, really.)

Still, while I'm shocked about the news, and am looking forward to it, I'm kinda shrinking back right now because it brings up a couple of questions. One: who is going to dub this? Two: is Dan Green going to return as Yugi and Yami Yugi?

Sorry, purists, but I just can't see both Yugis as any other than Dan Green. The Yugis are not the Yugis without Dan Green.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
So it won't even be out until 2016? So much for the hype; I barely care about it anymore. I'm all for a 20th anniversary film and all, but waiting about two more years is too much.

Akashin

I agree that this really didn't need its own thread.

On subject, though, can I just point out how weird Yugi looks? Like, I know that we know from GX that Yugi grows up to look identical to Yami, but Yami's face with Yugi's eyes looks so... I don't know, it threw me off.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
On subject, though, can I just point out how weird Yugi looks? Like, I know that we know from GX that Yugi grows up to look identical to Yami, but Yami's face with Yugi's eyes looks so... I don't know, it threw me off.

That is Yugi, not the Pharaoh. In fact, he's not even wearing the Millennium Puzzle in that picture. It says it's an original story, so perhaps this is after the Pharaoh left?

Say, can we talk about what's going on with Kaiba's fingers there? Like is he getting some form of arthritis in that hand XD, the heck is he doing?

Akashin

That is Yugi, not the Pharaoh. In fact, he's not even wearing the Millennium Puzzle in that picture. It says it's an original story, so perhaps this is after the Pharaoh left?

Say, can we talk about what's going on with Kaiba's fingers there? Like is he getting some form of arthritis in that hand XD, the heck is he doing?

I thought my post made it pretty clear I was talking about Yugi looking like the Pharaoh, not talking as if that was the Pharaoh we were looking at. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. Though at a second glance, Yugi doesn't look like he's changed as much as I thought he did initially.

And I noticed the lack of the Puzzle; taking place post-Ceremonial Battle but pre-GX would make the most sense to me.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I know it's Yugi but, as we already know from GX, Yugi more or less grows up to be Yami (appearance-wise of course, to avoid any confusion); we can see that at least in part here. That's what I was commenting on.

And I noticed the lack of the Puzzle; taking place post-Ceremonial Battle but pre-GX would make the most sense to me.

Well I haven't watched GX, so I didn't get to see Yugi grown up. He looks the same to me as he did at the end of the series.

Of course, just watch, they're going to find some way to bring Yami back for the movie. Sure, Yugi needs his time in the spotlight, and if they can make it work for this film, I hope they do it justice, but Yami is pretty much the face of Yu-Gi-Oh despite he and Yugi being the "same person" until the end. There'll probably be time travel or dimension jumping involved for the specific purpose of bringing in Yami.

Akashin

Well I haven't watched GX, so I didn't get to see Yugi grown up. He looks the same to me as he did at the end of the series.

Of course, just watch, they're going to find some way to bring Yami back for the movie. Sure, Yugi needs his time in the spotlight, and if they can make it work for this film, I hope they do it justice, but Yami is pretty much the face of Yu-Gi-Oh despite he and Yugi being the "same person" until the end. There'll probably be time travel or dimension jumping involved for the specific purpose of bringing in Yami.

While I don't doubt this for even a second, I would be over the moon if you're wrong. Actually seeing Yugi getting to step out of Yami's shadow as the ending stated he would (and GX showed he did, though you haven't seen it) would be great. I'm not nearly as interested in seeing more of Yami.

Lorde

I really hope that Jounouchi appears here at least. The movie wouldn't be the same without him in my view. Anzu and Honda can stay away though; they were always useless.

Lucille

With this, DBKai, Digimon Adventure 2015 and Pokemon all my childhood favourite characters will be relevant again. Oh the feels

NeoDude-5000

It is interesting that Yugi looks older in this movie. Hopefully this movie will be better than the previous 2, and also hopefully it's canon (which it should be since it looks like its set after the original series). Bonds Beyond Time for me was awesome but too short, so this new movie should be about as long as Pyramid of Light.

I was sort of expecting it to be released in 2015 though but, oh well...

Alola Adventurer

I'm kinda shrinking back right now because it brings up a couple of questions. One: who is going to dub this? Two: is Dan Green going to return as Yugi and Yami Yugi?

Sorry, purists, but I just can't see both Yugis as any other than Dan Green. The Yugis are not the Yugis without Dan Green.

4K Media (dubbing facet of 4Kids Entertainment under Konami's wing with a new name)/Konami:
http://www.yugioh.com/news/4k-media-announces-yu-gi-oh-movie-now-in-development

And on Dan, most likely because he still voices them in recent events most recently being the Scripted Duels:
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Scripted_Duel

Lorde

It is interesting that Yugi looks older in this movie. Hopefully this movie will be better than the previous 2, and also hopefully it's canon (which it should be since it looks like its set after the original series). Bonds Beyond Time for me was awesome but too short, so this new movie should be about as long as Pyramid of Light.

I was sort of expecting it to be released in 2015 though but, oh well...

I also pray that it's better than the last two movies, which I found atrocious. Yugi and Kaiba as the stars of this one makes me slightly more hopeful though.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
The Pyramid of Light movie was great, but only when the movie focused on the duel, rather than Yugi's crew doing things in the Millenium Puzzle. I'd like to see Yugi and Kaiba team up in the movie, rather than Kaiba being the villain, or Yugi hogging the movie.

Lorde

The Pyramid of Light movie was great, but only when the movie focused on the duel.

I disagree; the duel between Yugi and Kaiba was tedious and was my least favorite part of PoL. I'd like for them to team up here though. Does Eric Stuart still do VA work though?

Navin

MALDREAD
Oh man, hopefully this movie will be great. Probably will take place sometime between the events of the original series and GX I would imagine. I hope Yami doesn't appear in this film. I want to see a canon film with an older Yugi alone.

shadowF

I hope there is no crossovers with the other series and perhaps no mention of xyzs or pendulums, maybe the beginning of scynchro use? I really hope it is just a story that has no time travel but is just focused on the original yu-gi-oh cast.

Lorde

I hope there is no crossovers with the other series and perhaps no mention of xyzs or pendulums, maybe the beginning of scynchro use? I really hope it is just a story that has no time travel but is just focused on the original yu-gi-oh cast.

Given that the movie is presumably meant to celebrate the franchise's 20th anniversary, I think it'll stick with the original Yu-Gi-Oh! cast for nostalgia purposes.

Born Better

God of Lightning
Well looks like my interest just shot down. I'm seriously getting sick of all the pandering to nostalgia. On the bright side, it looks like there's no Atem which means Yugi can shine for the first time in his existence.