• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

2021 Fanfiction Awards - discussion and planning thread

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I apologize for the delay in getting this thread up. I hope we will be able to have productive discussion despite that.

This year, like last year, I believe the primary issue is how to drive up activity. I had a couple of big ideas in mind earlier this year, but because of my own irresponsibility in posting this thread too late, I don't believe significant changes will be feasible for this year. If needed, we can keep this thread open and discuss ideas after these next awards end so 2022 can be worked on right away.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Been saying it for years--let people make a "for your consideration" post that reminds readers of their fics.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Been saying it for years--let people make a "for your consideration" post that reminds readers of their fics.

I get what you're suggesting, but for practicality's sake, would you mind elaborating on how this would play out? Like, what you would be allowed to say versus not, where the post would be made, and so on. I think if we entertain this option we need to have parameters for it.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I can imagine a thread just for it where writers basically sell their fics to potential voters. Open to anyone who's written a fic or chapter in the voting year. You know, like how movie companies will advertise their films in award seasons.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
So basically like a story advertising thread but specifically for award season?

Spiteful Murkrow

Early Game Encounter
I apologize for the delay in getting this thread up. I hope we will be able to have productive discussion despite that.

This year, like last year, I believe the primary issue is how to drive up activity. I had a couple of big ideas in mind earlier this year, but because of my own irresponsibility in posting this thread too late, I don't believe significant changes will be feasible for this year. If needed, we can keep this thread open and discuss ideas after these next awards end so 2022 can be worked on right away.

I mean, if push really came to shove, you could always offer something in return for participation such as a review from the mods for the submitter's choice of story. I mean, ideally you wouldn't have to do that, but hey, it worked for getting enough entries to make judging viable for the most recent writing contest.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I can imagine a thread just for it where writers basically sell their fics to potential voters. Open to anyone who's written a fic or chapter in the voting year. You know, like how movie companies will advertise their films in award seasons.

I could see this working (and yes, @TheCharredDragon, you appear to have the right idea.) I want to hear further input on the suggestion but I am interested in it.

I mean, if push really came to shove, you could always offer something in return for participation such as a review from the mods for the submitter's choice of story. I mean, ideally you wouldn't have to do that, but hey, it worked for getting enough entries to make judging viable for the most recent writing contest.

Could you elaborate on this? You mean the mods of the forum offer to do a review for submitters as in the people who nominate select a fic to review? I'm not sure I fully understand.

Spiteful Murkrow

Early Game Encounter
Could you elaborate on this? You mean the mods of the forum offer to do a review for submitters as in the people who nominate select a fic to review? I'm not sure I fully understand.

Essentially, we got the last few entries for that contest by bobandbill extending an offer to all current and would-be entrants to give a review to one story of the entrants' choice for participating. While it's probably wise to not have one mod alone shoulder the reviewing duties, it might be something worth considering on our end if participation is an issue again next year, since it's an easy way to encourage engagement, as well as for members of the forum to highlight stories that they want to signal boost a bit for the community.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Essentially, we got the last few entries for that contest by bobandbill extending an offer to all current and would-be entrants to give a review to one story of the entrants' choice for participating. While it's probably wise to not have one mod alone shoulder the reviewing duties, it might be something worth considering on our end if participation is an issue again next year, since it's an easy way to encourage engagement, as well as for members of the forum to highlight stories that they want to signal boost a bit for the community.
Hmm, this does sound like something worth considering, though like you said we may need to hold it for next year and see how things go.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Did you come to any conclusions?

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Did you come to any conclusions?
For the "for your consideration" thread? I think we can go ahead and do it, although plans for exactly how it will work will need to be formalized.

I think a straightforward sticky thread on the top of the main fanfic board will work for that. What we need to iron out are the rules, how much each person is allowed to write about themselves, etcetera.