• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

2nd Competitive Team (and hopefully the last)--RMT

Flannery

Fire PkMn Trainer
New Team!
I tried to cover up as much weaknesses as possible by using powerhouses.
Suggestions, modifications, anything welcome. I want to build up a good team and make the time I'll spend on it worthwhile.

I also need help choosing the Starter!

TEAM:

dpmfa445.png

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Speed/ 6HP
Moves:
-Swords Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Fire Fang
-Earthquake

Ordinary, common Garchomp, but can be very useful on the team.
I'm hesitating about the nature, something boosting Speed for a change could also have been a good advantage if I ever use this pokemon as my Starter.

dpmfa094.png

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 Sp.Atk/ 252 Speed/ 6 HP
Moves:
-Hypnosis/Destiny Bond
-Focus Blast
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball

The choice Scarf is there to boost it's speed because of the Modest nature. With maxed-out Special attack and boosted Speed, this one can caude tons of damage. I need help choosing the first move, since the two could be useful:
Hypnosis- If I start with this, I have to switch-out. Could be useful, though, since putting the for to sleep can assure a safe switch-out, plus I can take out any good pokemon who could KO the opponent, leaving no damage. ^^

Destiny Bond- I would only use this move if I face a way too powerful opponent, or a pokemon I have no way of countering. Otherwise, I would use it on a switch-out where Gengar has few HP left and where the opponent still had all of it. For example, if I battled and defeated a pokemon with Gengar but it took some damage. I might eventually use it against another pokemon and just use Destiny Bond to take it down.

dpmfa205.png

Forretress @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SDef
Moves:
-Gyro Ball
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Spikes

Physical wall, Spikes is a nuisance to the other team, other moves used for support. Unsure about keeping it, though, since I have 2 physical walls...

dpmfa121.png

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP/ 56 S.Atk/ 216 Speed
Timid Nature/Natural Cure Ability
Moves:
-Rapid Spin
-Recover
-Thunderbolt
-Surf

Sp.Atk EVs allow me to KO regular Garchomp with Ice Beam.

dpmfa461.png

Weavile @ Choice Band--- Most likely to be my Starter.
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Speed/ 6HP
Moves:
-Pursuit
-Ice Shard
-Brick Break
-Aerial Ace

Has ONE major weakness, but one immunity. They generally do well on a team, so I wanted to give it a try.

dpffa242.png

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 Def/ 252 HP/ 6 Sp.Def
Moves:
-Toxic
-Softboiled
-Aromatherapy
-Seismic Toss

Wall. =] Unsure about keeping this one because of Forry ^ or maybe I'll change it back into a Special Wall, or just switch it for a Cresselia.

This is it for now. ^^
I need advice on the Natures and Moves. I'd also like to know if Roserade fits with the rest of the team or if I should switch for something else. I need to choose the starter as well. Reviews appreciated.

Thanks to everyone!

Last edited:

Key Keeper

Riddle Me This
-I suggest maxing Blissey's Def EVs with a bold nature, otherwise it'll be completely defenceless (no pun intended) to physical attacks, particularly fighting type ones. Max HP isn't overly necessary, as with such a large base stat it will make little difference, although it's still perfectly viable if you like. With no real significant investment in Sp. Att. EVs, i would recommend Seismic Toss over Ice Beam. I'm not sure if both Softboiled Wish is such a good idea, as it seems something of a wasted moveslot in my opinion.

-You say that Weavile only has one major weakness, but with such low defences and HP, even half-decent neutral hits will cause a lot of damage. Again, due to its fragility, i don't think that swords dance is a good idea, however, it would certainly be helpful if you found the opportunity to use it. Life Orb is viable, but with low HP it may be better to use an Expert belt instead. Also, i'd recommend an Ice Type attack over Aerial Ace for both STAB and the more useful type coverage.

-I'd agree that Hippowdon is something of a hinderence. Perhaps something like Gliscor would be a good idea, as it could also BP Swords Dances to your Weavile, or indeed Garchomp, if you really wanted the extra attack boost. THe main problem, of course, would be the 4x Ice weakness that Garchomp shares.

-As for Roserade, I'd personally be reluctant to use a Grass type in general, however, i'm not entirely sure. If you were to replace it though, i would recommend another pecial Sweeper.

-If you're looking for a decent starter, I'd say that Weavile would be a good choice, particularly with Pursuit (over Swords Dance), which would allow strong damage against fleeing opponents and generally OHKO any opposing Gengars (or indeed other starters weak to dark type attacks, provided they aren't too defensive). With excellent attack and speed, i'd definately recommend it as your lead.

I don't really rate teams very often, so this is hardly sage advice, and i may simply be stating the obvious, so don't take too much to heart. That said though, i hope i helped.

nai747

looks good, though some things still need changing. i agree with the ice move on weavile, ice has some of the best coverage in the game(many 4x weakneses) and it gains stab, so a ice type attack would really help him(her?), and try using weavile as your lead, and try pursuit on him(her?) instead, majority of pkmn run from him(her?). agreeing with switching hippodown, its a good pkmn but sanndstorm hurts your team, so it doesnt really fit. maby put in a steel type, they have great resistances, try metagross or maby forretress/skarmory(entry hazard support=D). they all still have great defenses, and the latter two can provede support(much appreciated by the reat of your team). lastly, try switcching wish OR softboiled for aromatherapy/heal bell. blissey doesnt need two healing moves, and its probably the best user of aromatherapy/heal bell in the game, so i dont see any reason not to use it. hope this helped!

Flannery

Fire PkMn Trainer
I replaced Hippowdon with a Foretress. Physical wall as well.

Weavile's set has been updated, Swords Dance has been changed for Pursuit. Ice Punch has been added. It's item was changed as well.

Blissey's set has also been changed. I agree Wish AND Softboiled were a bit too much here. Thanks for pointing it out.

The only problem now, since I changed Blissey's EVs and nature, is that I have 4 physical walls and no Special wall. Maybe I should replace Forry again or Blissey itself.

I decided to insert Starmie instead of Roserade. Changes will be made soon. ^^

Thanks for helping out.

Key Keeper

Riddle Me This
The only problem now, since I changed Blissey's EVs and nature, is that I have 4 physical walls and no Special wall. Maybe I should replace Forry again or Blissey itself.
Blissey will still act as a very good special wall with its base special defence and HP, the Defence EVs were needed simply to give it more survivability against physical hits. It's Sp. Def. is still vastly superior.

Blue Ace

Pokemon is Dead
- Garchomp is a bad lead, it's better saved for late game when it's counters are weakened or gone, besides Bronzong is the most common lead and also happens to be one of it's counters. That Gengar can lead better anyway.

Yache Berry > Life Orb as well, to reduce your Ice weakness and Jolly nature to take advantage of it's above average speed, besides Sword Dance gives you plenty of power already. and Fire Fang > Stone Edge for dealing with it's counters

- You have plenty of sweepers already, Bulky Starmie is more beneficial to the team since Forry and Bliss cant be expected to take all the hits, besides both fail to stop Gyara and Ape, something Starmie can do

236 HP, 56 S.Atk, 216 Spd with Rapid Spin/ Recover/ T-Bolt/ Surf

- Jolly nature on Weavile, it really does need the speed a lot, otherwise its outsped by All forms of Gengar and can Focus Blast you.

Choice Band with Ice Shard > Ice Punch

Generic bog standard team

Flannery

Fire PkMn Trainer
Good. So Blissey is all set. =]
Gengar is already EVed and trained. I still have to see if the rest is good before training those.

Flannery

Fire PkMn Trainer
- Garchomp is a bad lead, it's better saved for late game when it's counters are weakened or gone, besides Bronzong is the most common lead and also happens to be one of it's counters. That Gengar can lead better anyway.

Yache Berry > Life Orb as well, to reduce your Ice weakness and Jolly nature to take advantage of it's above average speed, besides Sword Dance gives you plenty of power already. and Fire Fang > Stone Edge for dealing with it's counters

I wasn't actually planning on using Garchomp as a lead. I was mostly thinking about going for Weavile now, or Gengar. It must not have been very clear since I put Garchomp up first ^^ But the starter had been chosen after I posted this and I didn't change it afterwards, except for adding a side note to Weavile.

Gengar could be a good lead as well. I should try both Weavile and Gengar first, and see which one works better.

Fire Fang is much more effective, I agree *changed*. Nature has been changed as well as the item.

- You have plenty of sweepers already, Bulky Starmie is more beneficial to the team since Forry and Bliss cant be expected to take all the hits, besides both fail to stop Gyara and Ape, something Starmie can do

236 HP, 56 S.Atk, 216 Spd with Rapid Spin/ Recover/ T-Bolt/ Surf

What I'd like to know is why Starmie's EVs are better changed this way. I changed them, but I'd like to know more. Doesn't it need, at least, 132 Sp.Stk EVs to knock down Garchomp? Also, why is Thunderbolt better over Ice Beam? Ice Beam could KO Garchomp as well as eventual roserade counters, while Thunderbolt can't. Can you clear that up for me? ^^

- Jolly nature on Weavile, it really does need the speed a lot, otherwise its outsped by All forms of Gengar and can Focus Blast you.

Choice Band with Ice Shard > Ice Punch

Thanks for pointing this out, changes have been made. Ice Shard/Choice Band is a nice combo.

Thanks for your help. =]

sumoboi

blissey is considered sp wall btw, i say use choice specs on gengar since gengar with 252 speed evs doesnt need skarf to outspeed almost everything, also if you lead with weavile i would personally use focus sash, because starters commonly have moves which can ko a weavile with ease

crazymoose

Tailow!
Also, why is Thunderbolt better over Ice Beam?
it's so you can take out gyra, but gengar can already do that. but weavile should leave a dent in chomp and roserade with ice shard so either thunderbolt or ice beam would be fine, unless you gave blissey ice beam then you could keep thunderbolt for sure. and about gengar's set, you have choice scarf with destiny bond (or hypnosis) but if you choose destiny bond you're stuck trying to bring the foe with you, which they may not do right away , making you lose valuable attacking turns

Flannery

Fire PkMn Trainer
blissey is considered sp wall btw, i say use choice specs on gengar since gengar with 252 speed evs doesnt need skarf to outspeed almost everything, also if you lead with weavile i would personally use focus sash, because starters commonly have moves which can ko a weavile with ease

I know it is.^^ Is it okay-looking as it is, or something should be changed? @.@

An ordinary Gengar wouldn't, but this one's Modest. It's nature not boosting speed, it needs the extra points the Scarf can give it. =]

I'll consider what you just said about Weavile. I had wanted to prevent this, though, by maximizing Speed and Attack enough so the opponent doesn't have time to KO it. ^^

Thanks for your advice. =)

Flannery

Fire PkMn Trainer
it's so you can take out gyra, but gengar can already do that. but weavile should leave a dent in chomp and roserade with ice shard so either thunderbolt or ice beam would be fine, unless you gave blissey ice beam then you could keep thunderbolt for sure. and about gengar's set, you have choice scarf with destiny bond (or hypnosis) but if you choose destiny bond you're stuck trying to bring the foe with you, which they may not do right away , making you lose valuable attacking turns

This is why I was hesitating between the two moves. Both require special conditions.

Hypnosis- If I start with this, I have to switch-out. Could be useful, though, since putting the for to sleep can assure a safe switch-out, plus I can take out any good pokemon who could KO the opponent, leaving no damage. ^^

Destiny Bond- I would only use this move if I face a way too powerful opponent, or a pokemon I have no way of countering. Otherwise, I would use it on a switch-out where Gengar has few HP left and where the opponent still had all of it. For example, if I battled and defeated a pokemon with Gengar but it took some damage. I might eventually use it against another pokemon and just use Destiny Bond to take it down.

Both could be very useful, which is why I need help choosing. Ther both have advantages and disadvantages. ^^;