• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3, 2, 1, let's jam.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
The Japanese animation studio Sunrise has officially announced the plans for a live-action film adaptation of its Cowboy Bebop science-fiction anime franchise. The American film studio Twentieth Century Fox, the production company 3 Arts Entertainment, and Sunrise itself are collaborating on the project. Keanu Reeves (The Matrix, A Scanner Darkly, Johnny Mnemonic) is slated to star. Joshua Long is acting as a production supervisor, and Erwin Stoff, a film producer who worked closely with Reeves on The Matrix and A Scanner Darkly, is also attached. The associate producers are Sunrise President Kenji Uchida, the original Cowboy Bebop director Shinichiro Watanabe, and the original series script supervisor Keiko Nobumoto. The Sunrise studio itself and Masahiko Minami (former Sunrise producer and BONES studio co-founder) are both acting as production consultants.

Stoff first revealed the existence of the proposed project last July to the IFMagazine.com entertainment website after the parties "just signed it the other day." Reeves confirmed the plans and his intentions to play the lead role with MTV Movies Blog last month. He also indicated that the preliminary story outline partly draws inspiration from the "Red Eye" storyline from the first episode of the animated series. Reeves and Watanabe had previously worked together on the "Kid's Story" segment of The Animatrix animated video anthology.

Watanabe's original Cowboy Bebop series follows the motley crew of the spaceship Bebop as it travels throughout the solar system in search of the next job. The anime distributor Bandai Entertainment and Cartoon Network's Adult Swim programming block released the 1998 television series in the United States, and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment released the subsequent 2001 animated movie. The anime was also adapted into two separate manga series, and Tokyopop released both manga series in North America.

Proof.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Cowboy Bebop has a very Hollywood feel to it and would work as a live-action movie. Reeves is something of a grey area; he looks the part, but as he's commonly associated as being a living block of wood, it's just a matter of if he can pull it off. Really, all it needs is a killer soundtrack.

Warped Reflection

I'm slightly concerned about this movie. I guess they can do voice overs for the characters though. I'll watch the movie but I'm not expecting something amazing coming from it. I have my fingers crossed for a good soundtrack as well.

Rave

Banned
They're better off making a rad Lupin III movie instead.

This movie though... really cautiously skeptical...

Basically all people are hoping for is Yoko Kanno doing the music.

eevee909

Your ladyship
i have seen the movie, it rox so!!

Ichi

swagswagswagswagswag
As long as they include TANK! and don't replace it with some generic Linkin Park song, I'll be okay with watching this movie.

S31R31

The 90's
Updates from ANN

3 Arts Entertainment producer Erwin Stoff (The Matrix, I am Legend, Kings) has told the iFMagazine.com website that the live-action Cowboy Bebop film in development will not be an origin story. “We start with [the main character, bounty hunter Spike Spiegel], when he is in his present life already.” He also emphasized that the producers began the project by meeting with Shinichiro Watanabe, the director of Sunrise's original Cowboy Bebop science-fiction anime series. "He will be the first guy to read a script when it's done. We'll discuss directors with him." While screenwriter Peter Craig has yet to finish the script, Stoff hopes to make the film next year and expects it will have a "totally multi-ethnic cast."

The iFMagazine.com site first reported on the film proposal last July after the parties "just signed it the other day." Last month, actor Keanu Reeves expressed his interest in starring, and initially indicated that the story will be partly based on the "Red Eye" storyline from the first episode of the anime series. Sunrise officially announced the project last week with Twentieth Century Fox, 3 Arts Entertainment, Reeves, and Stoff. Sunrise President Kenji Uchida, Watanabe, and the original series script supervisor Keiko Nobumoto will act as associate producers, while Sunrise and Masahiko Minami (former Sunrise producer and BONES studio co-founder) will consult on the production.

Warped Reflection

Updates from ANN

3 Arts Entertainment producer Erwin Stoff (The Matrix, I am Legend, Kings) has told the iFMagazine.com website that the live-action Cowboy Bebop film in development will not be an origin story. “We start with [the main character, bounty hunter Spike Spiegel], when he is in his present life already.” He also emphasized that the producers began the project by meeting with Shinichiro Watanabe, the director of Sunrise's original Cowboy Bebop science-fiction anime series. "He will be the first guy to read a script when it's done. We'll discuss directors with him." While screenwriter Peter Craig has yet to finish the script, Stoff hopes to make the film next year and expects it will have a "totally multi-ethnic cast."

The iFMagazine.com site first reported on the film proposal last July after the parties "just signed it the other day." Last month, actor Keanu Reeves expressed his interest in starring, and initially indicated that the story will be partly based on the "Red Eye" storyline from the first episode of the anime series. Sunrise officially announced the project last week with Twentieth Century Fox, 3 Arts Entertainment, Reeves, and Stoff. Sunrise President Kenji Uchida, Watanabe, and the original series script supervisor Keiko Nobumoto will act as associate producers, while Sunrise and Masahiko Minami (former Sunrise producer and BONES studio co-founder) will consult on the production.

I'm beginning to feel a little more comfortable with the movie's creation now. It seems to be heading in the right direction as of right now.

Rave

Banned
i have seen the movie, it rox so!!

shut the fuck up

Also, I'm feeling more happy, knowing Watanabe is gonna be the one making the approvals on the pitch.

Gentleman Skeleton

I'm definately keeping my eye on this one. Then again, my perception of anime made into live action American films has been tainted by Speed Racer and Dragonball Evolution. This, I believe, will be the 'make or break' anime film. If it can be pulled off, then faith will be had in projects like Ghost in the Shell, Macross and Neon Genesis Evangelion. If this fails, then some of those projects may never see life off of the shelf.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
Anime hair like that just doesn't work in real life. For example, look at Goku in the live action Dragonball movie. :D
An afro is way different than that Kelvin Klein mess.

Penguinist Trainer

I am extremely cautious about this movie. I love Cowboy Bebop and I would hate if a live action film ruined that image.

Thinking of Keanu as a living block of wood might work to his advantage, because maybe the director can mold him into a perfect Spike.

I especially would hope this success would lead to the Evangelion live action movie. I've waited for that since the 1st rumors were spread.

HK

Radiance of Shadows
I especially would hope this success would lead to the Evangelion live action movie. I've waited for that since the 1st rumors were spread.
Sort of befuddled as to why you'd want that.

Bebop is very feasible for live-action; Evangelion, not so much.

Cutiebunny

Frosty Fashionista
I suppose it could work. I find the need to adapt every sucessful anime into a live-action movie and/or TV series distasteful and would rather see 'original' productions released instead of rehashed ones.

I don't like the idea of using the pre-existing storyline, though. It would be as if the entire storline line of one season of Star Trek NG was remade into a movie - why pay $8 when you could see the series on TV for free?

HK

Radiance of Shadows
I find the need to adapt every sucessful anime into a live-action movie and/or TV series distasteful and would rather see 'original' productions released instead of rehashed ones.

I don't like the idea of using the pre-existing storyline, though.
You are aware that novels and real-life events have been adapted into film for practically as long as cinema has existed, right?