• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

360 price drop? It ain't happenin'...

Swampy

Crack the Skye
Source: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/714/714773p1.html
June 26, 2006 - Ever since the revelation of the PlayStation 3's price tag at this year's E3, the internet has been rife with speculation that Microsoft would counterpunch its rival Sony with a price cut on the Xbox 360. However, it appears that such a notion will not come to fruition as a Microsoft executive has categorically stated that there are no "current" plans for an Xbox 360 price drop.

In a posting on his personal blog, John Porcaro, group manager of PR and communications for Microsoft US, stated that "the official word from folks in the know is that there are currently no plans for a price drop this fall."

Porcaro goes on to encourage those waiting for an Xbox 360 price drop to "wait no longer" and goes on to recite a litany of reasons to jump on the Xbox 360 bandwagon including Xbox Live and current/upcoming games.

In a somewhat predictable swipe at his Sony compeitor and its Blu-Ray high definition DVD technology, Porcaro states that Xbox 360 gamers will be in perfect glee this holiday season playing games on the "affordable" Xbox 360 while others will "go broke" because "they're forced to buy movie technology with their game console."

It is worth noting that Porcaro stated that there are no "current" plans for an Xbox 360 price cut which leaves open the door for a future discount should "the powers that be" decide one is needed.

As you can see, it looks like the 360 isn't getting a price-drop after all.....or it at least isn't slated to get one anytime soon....

JohtoBlaziken

I dunno lol
Looks like Microsoft's head is getting a bit too big. :rolleyes:

Just watch people, this might be a defining mistake for Microsoft, and their console might be ignored for the less-pricey Wii or the *eventually* price-lowered PS3.

Interestin'. This COULD be quite a big mistake in the end.

meta-master

The name says it all
Rufinito18 said:
It's not in my plans to get it, so I could care less.
agreed even if it is a bad idea.

UberSorcerer

Well, I decided along time ago, Wii will be my first, so don't care there.
BUT, I wanted either a 360 or PS3, I realy want one, they better lower in price, hmm... if Sony's Blu-ray bombed, I wonder if they will do a DVD version that is just a graphicaly superior PS2.

Swampy

Crack the Skye
JohtoBlaziken said:
Looks like Microsoft's head is getting a bit too big. :rolleyes:

Just watch people, this might be a defining mistake for Microsoft, and their console might be ignored for the less-pricey Wii or the *eventually* price-lowered PS3.

Interestin'. This COULD be quite a big mistake in the end.
Considering I was waiting for a price drop on the 360 to buy one this Winter season, this really hurts. I (and from what I know, many other people were/) was going to go Wii60 this holiday season, which in turn, would have killed the PS3's launch. However, now that MS wants to keep the current price, Sony still has a good chance of selling all 4 million of those PS3 systems this year...
It's not in my plans to get it, so I could care less.
Thanks for the info. =< I'd like to see you live without Halo 3. (If you say you will live without it I'll drag Skru to convince you otherwise... XD)

Skrusti

Wildfire said:
Thanks for the info. =< I'd like to see you live without Halo 3. (If you say you will live without it I'll drag Skru to convince you otherwise... XD)

o_O;; I'm...getting recognition!? *faints*

Anyway, as much as I'd love to get a 360, the only way I'd be able to AFFORD one is if they cut the price on it :/ Hopefully, Microsoft opens their eyes, and says "Oh...we can sell more if we drop the price X dollars! GENIUS!" so I can get one.

I WILL GET HALO 3 DAMNIT >:0

Chris

Old Coot
Considering the 360's still relatively new, it's not suprising it's not getting a price cut yet.

Cobalt_Latios

This isnt surprising in any way. One of the only factors in price reduction is a new console made by the same company coming into play. The price drop of the Nintendo DS is an example of this. Though the older consoles are down in price by a lot, but it's been what, 4 years since the GameCube and Xbox made their debut? 5 years for the PS2? Give the Xbox 360 at least 2 more years before you'll start to see some price reduction. These things dont happen within a year people.

-C_L-

Chaotic Houndoom

Dark Trainer
I know I'm not getting it, so I don't really care for it, but it'd be great for other people. =/

pikapete

Gyarados Hunter
why would they say it is getting a price drop anyway? that's like saying "we don't want you to buy our console now at its full price, we want you to wait and get it cheaper, so we don't get as much money for selling it". They probably will drop the price on it, but if they started advertising that they were dropping the price now, when there isn't any current competition, the only people they would be hurting is themselves.

Flame Haze SnS

Yin-Yang
Good for Microsoft company. Do this and they may lose the console competition against Sony and Nintendo. I will not get X-Box 360 anyway.

Wildfire said:
Considering I was waiting for a price drop on the 360 to buy one this Winter season, this really hurts. I (and from what I know, many other people were/) was going to go Wii60 this holiday season, which in turn, would have killed the PS3's launch. However, now that MS wants to keep the current price, Sony still has a good chance of selling all 4 million of those PS3 systems this year...

I can live without Halo 3, considering that it may just as well be as horribly done as its predecessor. I'm not surprised by this news. Sony and Microsoft wait almost until the very last console life-span years before they lower price. Nintendo's GameCube lowered its price quite early in contrast.

Chris

Old Coot
Although Sony's decision was rather retarded, considering how long the PS2 had been around. It was the oldest of the three consoles and it's STILL not under $100.

They just went down 20$ in April.I don't think they'll be going down any sooner it'll probably be 130$ for the next two years. <_<

.::leeloo::.

:.dÐarker than you.:
well if they aren't going to cut the price of the 360, are they at least going to release the enhanced version (quieter and less overheating) anytime soon? like say, before the holidays. i'm going to get one as soon as i can find a way to get to walmart (because i live in a ghetto town), unless they're releasing the enhanced version soon.

it's not that cheap but for what it is, $400 for the platinum 360 is a decent price, considering what the it can do. compared to ps3, 360 will have problems. (but the 360 will have its price going for it with ps3 being $600 for the premium.) and the core ps3 just sucks compared to the premium ps3, so then anyone who buys the core will have wasted $500, and anyone who buys the premium will be $600+ poorer, but have a nice machine.
ps3 makes the 360 look like a deal. so why would they drop the price? give it three years, then microsoft will drop the price of the platinum 360 $100 and throw in some crappy game. i ain't waiting for THAT, and thats exactly what microsoft wants to hear.

Last edited:

Swampy

Crack the Skye
Judai Yuki said:
They just went down 20$ in April.I don't think they'll be going down any sooner it'll probably be 130$ for the next two years. <_<
Sony said:
We build systems to last 20 years
I just bought a PS2 and it's already having problems.... >_>;;

well if they aren't going to cut the price of the 360, are they at least going to release the enhanced version (quieter and less overheating) anytime soon? like say, before the holidays. i'm going to get one as soon as i can find a way to get to walmart (because i live in a ghetto town), unless they're releasing the enhanced version soon.
I have yet to see any word on how MS plans on fixing the melting 360s. D=

ps3 makes the 360 look like a deal. so why would they drop the price? give it three years, then microsoft will drop the price of the platinum 360 $100 and throw in some crappy game. i ain't waiting for THAT, and thats exactly what microsoft wants to hear.
If you watched a lot of how this "next-generation" is going, you would know many people speculated as to if MS would lower either the core or Prm version by 20-50$ to help it sell a tad better. (God knows they are screwed come PS3 release in Japan..)

o_O;; I'm...getting recognition!? *faints*
lawl, yes you are. XD
Anyway, as much as I'd love to get a 360, the only way I'd be able to AFFORD one is if they cut the price on it :/ Hopefully, Microsoft opens their eyes, and says "Oh...we can sell more if we drop the price X dollars! GENIUS!" so I can get one.

I WILL GET HALO 3 DAMNIT >:0
50$ less would help sell the systems but MS can't do that with the setbacks they've had money-wise already. DX
I'm not surprised by this news. Sony and Microsoft wait almost until the very last console life-span years before they lower price.
I report what I see, this had been speculated on for awhile now so I thought it would be interesting to post. (Seems like I was right, too, considering the amount of posts here) Most of the time, costs for the system go down so MS and Sony can safely lower the price.
Reason why PC hardware still rules I guess.

GeForce 7900GTX when it came out (In January I believe): $800
GeForce 7900GTX after a month: $550
GeForce 7900GTX now: $500
You forgot to mention how fast you need to update these types of things. XD Alas, we all know Console gamers get the short end of the stick. >_>;