• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3DS Not Responding

RedJirachi

Veteran member
For some time my blue Nintendo 3DS isn't responding. When I turn it on, it turns off with a pop before showing anything. However the one split second where the screen showed shows the actual data seems fine. This is troubling since I already have a number of virtual console games I bought over time. This include a Pokemon Crystal game I'm playing, and Pokemon Bank with Pokemon in it. What do I do to fix this?

For reference in case you're trying to find what the exact problem is, here is the situation
  • I have had the Nintendo 3DS since 2011-2012
  • It was fully charged when this happened
  • Before this, it had no apparent damage
  • I had been soft-resetting in the Pokemon Crystal VC for a shiny Celebi(I haven't got it yet)

If nothing works, am I able to transfer the VC information by moving the SD Card to another Nintendo 3DS?

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Maybe the battery needs replaced. Did the battery have a long lifespan after being charged before the 3DS started doing this?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
You probably need to replace the battery somehow.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Maybe the battery needs replaced. Did the battery have a long lifespan after being charged before the 3DS started doing this?
Battery, huh? That makes some sense. I'll see what I can do when I got to Sylvia and ask JB-HI Fi or EB Games for a replacement

RedJirachi

Veteran member
You could also try and see if the 3DS works fine when plugged in.
That didn't work

Addendum: Where do I go to get a replacement for the 3Ds internal battery. What exactly should I get to replace it?

Last edited:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Sound like my own 3DS.. Ok, Try opening it to about 45° will it turn on? If that is the case, then your 3DS has a damaged Ribbon cable. The fix isn't easy, plus the ribbon cable may need to be replaced.

I chose to transfer my data to another 3DS, while trying not trigger a shut down when I moved the screen. As for replacement batteries, you can find a few 3rd party ones online quite easily.

Karnine

Master Zoroark
Data transfer yes that works great when a old 3ds doesn't work. I have one just the battery run out but Lucky for me it works fine still even after a few years. But I got a new XL I can trade with my self or battle it's fun. You can find battery replacements on Amazon any time from my research

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Sound like my own 3DS.. Ok, Try opening it to about 45° will it turn on? If that is the case, then your 3DS has a damaged Ribbon cable. The fix isn't easy, plus the ribbon cable may need to be replaced.

I chose to transfer my data to another 3DS, while trying not trigger a shut down when I moved the screen. As for replacement batteries, you can find a few 3rd party ones online quite easily.
If the battery doesn't work(yet to arrive on my house) how do I transfer the data? I fear the loss of my Crystal save file

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
If the battery doesn't work(yet to arrive on my house) how do I transfer the data? I fear the loss of my Crystal save file
The symptoms remind me of my own 3DS, which I suspect to having a damaged ribbon cable.. which had a loud Pop everytime I tried to boot it up, with it fully open. But If I tried to open it part way, It could be used. Oh.. There is show VS tell.. and I think in this case:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I tried replacing the battery, but it's still not working. I fear the worst. How do I transfer the info to a working 3DS? I have an SD Card and have used the virtual console to get a variety of games