• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3DS or 3DS XL?

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
As what the title says.

I'd like to buy one at the store, but both of them consoles are priced as: $329. So it's complicated to choose which one to buy for the upcoming X/Y games.

I want to know if the games will be stretched and stuff on the big screen the XL has. Well does it make them pixelated?

And also, what are AR cards? It said the XL comes with 6x AR cards, nya~

TwitchyAssTaillow

I myself have a basic 3DS, but I would probably suggest an XL if you don't mind a larger screen to watch. I can't really say for sure about the whole pixelation deal, but a lot of 3DS games produce enough quality to accumulate the size.

The AR cards... I've had some before, but I can't remember exactly what they do.

Combo

I only just upgraded from normal old style DS just after christmas, and got a 3DS XL - I never experienced original 3DS but the two 3DS games I have so far (Super Mario 3D Land & Mario Kart 7) both look really good on it, and as I wasn't sure which one to get I did a fair bit of research - a lot of people say it's not quite worth upgrading if you already have a 3DS, but the vast majority said if you don't have either then get the XL.

The AR cards are to do with some software which comes preloaded on 3DS - basically an augmented reality game using the cameras (I haven't actually played it yet so I can't go too indepth!) I assume any new 3DS comes with them though.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
I myself have a basic 3DS, but I would probably suggest an XL if you don't mind a larger screen to watch. I can't really say for sure about the whole pixelation deal, but a lot of 3DS games produce enough quality to accumulate the size.

The AR cards... I've had some before, but I can't remember exactly what they do.

Ah okay, so its just the size then.

i like my 3DS, and the XL seems a bit TOO big, but if you like it that way then by all means get that one.
and the AR(augmented reality) cards are for cheezy games.

Oh okay. I thought they were them Action Reply stuff.

I only just upgraded from normal old style DS just after christmas, and got a 3DS XL - I never experienced original 3DS but the two 3DS games I have so far (Super Mario 3D Land & Mario Kart 7) both look really good on it, and as I wasn't sure which one to get I did a fair bit of research - a lot of people say it's not quite worth upgrading if you already have a 3DS, but the vast majority said if you don't have either then get the XL.

The AR cards are to do with some software which comes preloaded on 3DS - basically an augmented reality game using the cameras (I haven't actually played it yet so I can't go too indepth!) I assume any new 3DS comes with them though.

Well I only own a DS-Lite and I'm only getting a 3DS/XL coz of the new games coming up, but the hinge of my DSL broke yesterday and it's very loose now, nya~

ZombifiedHorror1031

The 3DS XL also has a longer battery life, which is something to consider. I'm not entirely certain why a 3DS is the same price as a 3DS XL wherever you are, though. Generally the original 3DS has a lower price and goes on sale more often, as the XL is more desired.

Basically, it comes down to whether you want a bigger screen and longer battery life. If it's the same price for both anywhere you can find them, the XL seems to be the better choice.

bronislav84

I <3 Catgirls
Most 3DS accessories don't work with the XL yet and probably won't. You should get a regular if you care about accessory compatibility.

Also playing games that use the touch screen a lot (Like Kid Icarus for example) it means moving further to do the same action as on the regular.

Basically for people who have a regular there's little reason to get it except if you wanna be "cool" but for people who don't have a regular the XL is technically better with battery life but with the screen being huge you need to get used to it when games get stretched out.

Biggest downside I see is if you carry it in your pocket it would not fit in most pockets. Should be ok in a purse, though.

Last edited:

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
The I got a 3DS XL for Christmas actually since I had originally skipped out on buying a regular 3DS.

The 3DS is:
-Easier and more comfortable to hold
-Has longer battery life
-the image is not stretched, its crisp and clear, whereas the 3DS was a little blurry
-You will be engulfed by the amazingness of 3D on a large scale (okay maybe that was more opinion than fact, but yeah XD)

Orithan

I believe that the XL is for people who are yet to get a 3DS, to help them get interested in the system. Even so, I personally recommend the standard-sized 3DS for better portability. ATM I have a normal 3DS with a shell cover (to protect it from damage. Mine has fallen a couple of times already but is still in perfect working condition thanks to it) and a carry case and it still fits in my pocket. I'm not sure about the XL because it is much bigger.

Pros for the original:
  • More portability.
  • More equipment (Carry cases, etc...) on the market because it is older.

XL:
  • Bigger screens.
  • Longer battery life.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
They're identical in the terms of which games they support.

The biggest problem is that the 3DS XL's Circle Pad Pro is hard to get. But that should change, assuming the Circle Pad Pro takes off. The circle pad adds a "right stick" and ZL and ZR Buttons for games that support it. Games that I know support it are Resident Evil (aka Biohazard), Metal Gear Solid 3D, and Kingdom Hearts. With MGS it feels right, partly as I've played the PS2 version. Kingdom Hearts does make battles slightly easier, but then I didn't use the right stick much in KH2, either.

The AR cards allow you to this: http://ubuntuone.com/2FnhqRF3yaOMHQmKeb3UWB (Isn't that Iwata and Reggie?)

One Popular App does this: http://ubuntuone.com/2oLqjZ6kFh7qzUEIIBoGbZ

XL's better if you want to "show" off.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
I want to know if the games will be stretched and stuff on the big screen the XL has. Well does it make them pixelated?

That's exactly why I haven't got an XL (and probably never will). The screen doesn't make the games streched, but it does look alot more pixelated because with the XL the actual pixels are physically bigger than with the regular 3DS. I've personally tried the demo XL in many shops since it came out and I keep wanting to like it, but the screen looks so bad compared to the normal 3DS that I can never look at it for more than a few minutes.
But then again I have really good close-up vision so it might not bother everyone as much as it does with me.

And also, what are AR cards? It said the XL comes with 6x AR cards, nya~

This page explains what the AR cards are.

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds/ar-cards

Chrysaries

Former shiny trader
I have a feeling they will release a Pokemon themed 3ds XL when the games come out... Don't know if I want or don't want that, it means I kinda have to upgrade

dragonskull

Dark trainer
If the prices are equal it is of course an easy choice if you don't mind a bigger 3DS. The "big" difference between the two is a bigger screen (doesn't mean more pixels though) and a bigger internal battery.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Thanks everyone ^^ Might aswell get the XL then :) Since it has free AR cards... which I don't think it'll use for Pokemon either way XD nya~

Both the regular and the XL come with the same AR cards. They aren't exclusive to the XL.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
The only "pack in" differences that I know of is that the 3DS XL is often sold without a charger, but this is the same charger for the DSi and 3DS. So you may be forced to pay a little extra to get a 3DS charger. There is also a difference between the SD cards that are included with New consoles, the 3DS has a 2GB card while the 3DS XL has a 4 GB card. Both Consoles can use larger cards. SD cards are needed for StreetPass, which is like always on C-gear Pass Mode but for all your games after you activated it. I've got a 16 GB card in mine mainly as I'm not planning to get rid of it for a long while, and I know how much I downloaded on the PSP and Wii.

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
I have my own SD cards but... buying a charger?! I dont have time for that!
I only own a DS lite...might as well go to the store and ask them people there, nya~

BCVM22

The XL ships with a charger in North America and Korea, does not in Japan and Europe. A charger can be purchased separately online if one so desires.

It honestly seems as if you're making the decision far more difficult than it needs to be. If the price is truly equal, then the only question is whether you want the smaller, blockier, glossier 3DS or the larger, rounder, matted XL. You can look up the dimensions of the systems yourself, but the 3DS is more easily slipped into a pocket, while the XL, not bulky or unwieldy by any means (it's actually quite comfortable and quite well designed), isn't small either, about the size of a paperback book. The XL's size allows a battery life superior to the 3DS, but aside from that, there's no real difference in function.

Whatever anyone tells you about the difference in "pixels", it really isn't all that prevalent unless you're literally holding the two units side by side playing the exact same material. Most 3DS games look fine on the larger screen, some even better than on the smaller screen.

Other than that, it really is entirely personal preference. Do you want bigger or do you want smaller? Simple as that. Going into the store and asking the people there will serve you no real purpose - they'll tell you most of what's been told to you here, the only added advantage potentially being that they might have used units for you to get your hands on for evaluation purposes.

Last edited:

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Whatever anyone tells you about the difference in "pixels", it really isn't all that prevalent unless you're literally holding the two units side by side playing the exact same material. Most 3DS games look fine on the larger screen, some even better than on the smaller screen.

As I've already said, it's just up to how good your close-up eyesight is. If you have really good eyesight like I do then the XL is pretty much unplayable. Saying the screen's pixel size isn't a problem can't be used as such a broad statement as it apparently differs greatly with who you ask.
But then again I can read 1mm text in magazines at a 10" distance without any problems so I'm probably the exception. :rolleyes: Though I must admit that I've only looked at 3DS games and not any regular DS games, so those might look better for all I know.

But I guess there's always a chance that the 10 or so demo XLs and 2 of my friend's ones I've looked at could all be defective in some way. But probably not.

BCVM22

You are correct in that I did not take into account individuals with Kryptonian super-vision. However, those who do not gain such powers under the light of Earth's yellow sun probably won't have an issue with it.

As always, though, the final factor should be the person purchasing the hardware trying it out for themselves.