• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3DS Suddenly Stopped Playing DS Games

Wosprig

Muggleborn Animagus
A couple days ago my 3DS suddenly stopped playing any of my DS games. I've tried playing Soul Silver, Black, Black 2, Pokémon Conquest, and Ōkamiden but every time, after a second or so, the "In Sleep Mode, the system can. . ." screen comes up. I've tried 3DS games too but they still work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a fix?

dragontamer44722

Pokegyms Owner
I've had this happen to other systems I've had, like my Wii refusing to play Gamecube games, but I was never able to determine why. Perhaps whatever allows the system to play ds games is busted, I really don't know. the fact that it still plays 3ds games makes me think so.

Tangeh

My 3DS went through a phase where it rejected DS games. For me, if I put one in it would either come up for a second and then vanish, or just freeze the system and force me to turn it off.

I found that if I held the DS game down in the slot so it was in the 3DS but not quite far enough for it to click (you have to hold it there so it doesn't pop out), it would play as normal. I also found that if I put the game in my brothers 3DS first and then took it out and put it in mine, it would work. It was... odd.

It got over it after playing DS games more consistently. Not sure why it's fixed or why it wouldn't work in the first place.

If it's still under warranty, I'd be tempted to send in into Nintendo for repairs.

Wosprig

Muggleborn Animagus
You've tried turning it off and back on, I'm assuming?
Yes, many times. I should have mentioned that, whoops.

I found that if I held the DS game down in the slot so it was in the 3DS but not quite far enough for it to click (you have to hold it there so it doesn't pop out), it would play as normal. I also found that if I put the game in my brothers 3DS first and then took it out and put it in mine, it would work. It was... odd.

It got over it after playing DS games more consistently. Not sure why it's fixed or why it wouldn't work in the first place.

If it's still under warranty, I'd be tempted to send in into Nintendo for repairs.
Weird. I'll try that as soon as I can with my sister's 3DS. Thanks a lot.

I don't know if it's still under warranty, I bought it second hand.

Tangeh

I'm not sure if they'll repair it for free without the original receipt, as the FAQ says proof of purchase is required. It says you can check the status of your warranty at this link http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/lookup/repairs/warrantyLookup.do assumably with the serial number on the back of your 3DS ... idk about you but this just redirects me to the support page.

But yeah try it with the other 3DS and see if it works. Mine was likely just a weird case but it can't hurt to try...